• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

taku

McBradders said:
Sakura tips, give them to me, I'm not letting her go without a fight.

I think my main issue is I'm trying to play her like a full shoto with slight variations due to her slow fireball.

If she's really a lost cause then I'm heading back to Rose.
Juggles! Oh and do her normal and hard trials to learn some cool combos with her.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
taku said:
Juggles! Oh and do her normal and hard trials to learn some cool combos with her.

Yah I'm okay with the juggles when the EX kick connects (both dragonpunchything and the DP kick move).

And, shit, I can't get past this trial of hers;

Jump HP
MP
Hadoken
Focus Attack

Seriously :lol

I passed all of Ryu's Easy trials first time... this is blowing my fucking mind.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
TurtleSnatcher said:
You can cross up or you can hit from the same direction.. its honestly hard as heck to tell and judge.. heh.

GG's Timedog.. Wish you stayed around.. I had just plugged in my stick.. was only playing on my pad and was gonna use more Vega who is probably my best

I'm not good with anyone but Ryu :(, but yeah lets play again soon.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Zertez said:
HDRemix had GGPO and SF4 does not. Lag is about the only reason why I could see them saying no to lobbies, unless they want us to pay for it in a new version down the road.
True fact : HDRemix doesnt have GGPO, the programmer of GGPO gave a hand as consultant , but GGPO wasnt used.

McBradders said:
Yah I'm okay with the juggles when the EX kick connects (both dragonpunchything and the DP kick move).

And, shit, I can't get past this trial of hers;

Jump HP
MP
Hadoken
Focus Attack

Seriously :lol

I passed all of Ryu's Easy trials first time... this is blowing my fucking mind.

don't pause between the hadoken and FA.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Another true fact: El Fuerte is all kind of fun but its hard as hell to learn it.
(Since pretty much he needs perfect timing which is almost imposible with my Internet connection)

vertopci said:
Christ, you fricking raped every orifice I have :lol :lol

GGs. Was there anything I was doing horribly wrong aside from sucking ass at using the Focus attack/absorb?

Dude, final count was like 9-5, that's not rape lol. I'm guessing you want Vega tips? I can give a few, but I'm sure there's someone out there more qualified for that (Haunts, TurtleSnatcher?)

- Vega's Focus Attack (FA) has pretty decent range. If you knock your opponent down, a nice mind game to play is to start charging from outside sweep range, this typically baits a getup attack like a shoryuken. Aftwerwards, dash back and punish. Once they get smart to that, you can dash forward or simply follow through with the attack.

- When using wall dive, try to get behind them to cross them up and get in a hit. Eventually, they'll predict that and start jumping back. When this happens, hit punch early so vega can do his swipe while still relatively high and catch them in their jump. If you noticed, I would use FA to absorb the walldive hit then dash in. If your opponent tries that tactic, simply try to get as close with your walldive and use the command throw option from the wall dive.

- Ultra. This typically works against fireball spammers, or people that whiff a move. When you both have lost a good chunk of health and have ultras built up, fireball spammers tend to keep distance and just spam. Vega's ultra PUNISHES this. The second you see them throw out a fireball, perform the ultra, it goes straight through the fireball and kills em! Another great way to use it is when your stuck in a corner. If you're outside of sweep range from your opponent and catch them whiff a sweep, use his ultra! You're close enough that it'll punish them. Unfortunately, I don't think he has any other reliable ways to land his super, so make sure you fully take advantage of these situations.

- This is a little trick I use to help close out matches. If people are on the opposite side of the screen, and playing it safe, use his EX claw dive (the one that's down 2 sec, up and punch). But make sure when you input up, you do it in the direction that they are. This is a freebie crossup most times since they're expecting a wall dive, but get clawed instead. So if you're on opposite sides of the screen, you on the left, him on the right, input down 2 sec., then up/right PP.

- df FK normal. This move is really useful. It has great priority, beats out lots of crouching pokes, and sets up a cool combo. If you have one EX bar, you can perform df FK into EX wall dive. You hit them twice with the wall dive, once with the leap to the wall, then you come back and perform an izuna drop as they fall. You can perform this by holding onto down forward after you perform the normal (to keep your charge) then press up forward to perform his wall dive and hold.

- Combos. Jump in Fierce kick, crouching medium kick or medium punch, then ex wall dive. Does great damage. No ex you can do Jump in fierce kick, standing fierce punch, crouching med. punch.

- Pokes. Most people think, "Hey, Vega has a claw! I"m gonna stab people!" But believe it or not, his standing mk and fk (most range actually) are better pokes when zoning and trying to keep space. Use his crouching mp when you're a little closer.

- Lastly, I noticed you completely changed your game when you lost his claw. You'd drop what you're doing and make a mad dash for it lol. If you lose it, don't change anything, just keep sticking to your guns. It's really not that great, and now that you know how useful his kicks are, it's no that bad if you don't have the claw.

You have a pretty good handle on Vega, you'll be alright :)

PS - Please excuse typos :( It's late

McBradders

Fersis said:
Another true fact: El Fuerte is all kind of fun but its hard as hell to learn it.
(Since pretty much he needs perfect timing which is almost imposible with my Internet connection)

lol you're poor, lol

<3

GrayFoxPL

I used rufus for the first time and he is fun. I talked shit about him and now I'm eating crow. His hair (facial and other...) still is disgusting, but now I'm rubbing it on people's faces! :lol

GrayFoxPL said:
I used rufus for the first time and he is fun. I talked shit about him and now I'm eating crow. His hair (facial and other...) still is disgusting, but now I'm rubbing it on people's faces! :lol

good very good

Fersis

McBradders said:
lol you're poor, lol

<3
;_;

*Hugs McBradders*

But really its a fun character ,give it a try. Im a little biased since im a Lucha Libre/Wrestling fan so... :lol

GrayFoxPL said:
Speaking of Rufus (awful name) i cant do the first cancel normal trial
(HP -> Galactic Tornado) :(

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
FindMyFarms said:
Dude, final count was like 9-5, that's not rape lol. I'm guessing you want Vega tips? I can give a few, but I'm sure there's someone out there more qualified for that (Haunts, TurtleSnatcher?)

- Vega's Focus Attack (FA) has pretty decent range. If you knock your opponent down, a nice mind game to play is to start charging from outside sweep range, this typically baits a getup attack like a shoryuken. Aftwerwards, dash back and punish. Once they get smart to that, you can dash forward or simply follow through with the attack.

- When using wall dive, try to get behind them to cross them up and get in a hit. Eventually, they'll predict that and start jumping back. When this happens, hit punch early so vega can do his swipe while still relatively high and catch them in their jump. If you noticed, I would use FA to absorb the walldive hit then dash in. If your opponent tries that tactic, simply try to get as close with your walldive and use the command throw option from the wall dive.

- Ultra. This typically works against fireball spammers, or people that whiff a move. When you both have lost a good chunk of health and have ultras built up, fireball spammers tend to keep distance and just spam. Vega's ultra PUNISHES this. The second you see them throw out a fireball, perform the ultra, it goes straight through the fireball and kills em! Another great way to use it is when your stuck in a corner. If you're outside of sweep range from your opponent and catch them whiff a sweep, use his ultra! You're close enough that it'll punish them. Unfortunately, I don't think he has any other reliable ways to land his super, so make sure you fully take advantage of these situations.

- This is a little trick I use to help close out matches. If people are on the opposite side of the screen, and playing it safe, use his EX claw dive (the one that's down 2 sec, up and punch). But make sure when you input up, you do it in the direction that they are. This is a freebie crossup most times since they're expecting a wall dive, but get clawed instead. So if you're on opposite sides of the screen, you on the left, him on the right, input down 2 sec., then up/right PP.

- df FK normal. This move is really useful. It has great priority, beats out lots of crouching pokes, and sets up a cool combo. If you have one EX bar, you can perform df FK into EX wall dive. You hit them twice with the wall dive, once with the leap to the wall, then you come back and perform an izuna drop as they fall. You can perform this by holding onto down forward after you perform the normal (to keep your charge) then press up forward to perform his wall dive and hold.

- Combos. Jump in Fierce kick, crouching medium kick or medium punch, then ex wall dive. Does great damage. No ex you can do Jump in fierce kick, standing fierce punch, crouching med. punch.

- Pokes. Most people think, "Hey, Vega has a claw! I"m gonna stab people!" But believe it or not, his standing mk and fk (most range actually) are better pokes when zoning and trying to keep space. Use his crouching mp when you're a little closer.

- Lastly, I noticed you completely changed your game when you lost his claw. You'd drop what you're doing and make a mad dash for it lol. If you lose it, don't change anything, just keep sticking to your guns. It's really not that great, and now that you know how useful his kicks are, it's no that bad if you don't have the claw.

I prey you are not in the psn tourney, if you raped verto's vega : (

I'm to afraid to check.

Dizzy-4U

Since I'm not able to play online yet (lag issues), I'm taking all the time in the world testing all the characters. I've never played a charge character before, but I'm really liking Chun Li right now. I tested her with some friends and had some very good results. Her c.mp has so much range it's ridiculous.

Fersis said:
Im a little biased since im a Lucha Libre/Wrestling fan so... :lol
Aguante Karadagian carajo!!!!

Fersis

Dizzy-4U said:
Since I'm not able to play online yet (lag issues), I'm taking all the time in the world testing all the characters. I've never played a charge character before, but I'm really liking Chun Li right now. I tested her with some friends and had some very good results. Her c.mp has so much range it's ridiculous.

Aguante Karadagian carajo!!!!
:lol

You should check El Fuerte ,is really different from the other characters.

vertopci

FindMyFarms said:

Thanks for the tips man :D

Lets play a bit tomorrow or Thursday :D

I love you

Kal

Just got this yesterday. I want to break my pad!!! :lol Can't beat Seth with Chun Li on Medium, any tips?

If anyone want to play right now my PSN id is slykal

:)

McBradders said:
It's not like these are mutually exclusive features and that one would affect the other. The demand is definitely there for quarter lobbies, or indeed something akin to the 4 cabinet link they used when Super Street Fighter II hit the arcades. That used 4 cabs and you all played all the time, switching cabs as instructed after each match. That would be a fine compromise but that fact I often have a group of people who all want to play eachother but can't without jumping through so many hoops is a huge oversight on Capcom's part because, as is evident, I am far from alone in the matter.
That's exactly what I want. Spectating is lame. I understand why people want it but it makes me restless. Rotating opponents is a far better option.

McBradders

Rummy Bunnz said:
That's exactly what I want. Spectating is lame. I understand why people want it but it makes me restless. Rotating opponents is a far better option.

Yup, and you could dump back to a group lobby between matches to get updates on progress and talk shit to eachother.

Win/Win.

Hell, this might even be the de-facto Tournament patch they're talking about :eek:

Dizzy-4U

Kinda offtopic but, when are those NPD numbers released? I usually don't care about them at all but I really want to see how good SFIV did.

Fersis

Dizzy-4U said:
Kinda offtopic but, when are those NPD numbers released? I usually don't care about them at all but I really want to see how good SFIV did.
Stay out from the NPD threads!!:lol

Doc Evils said:
How do I beat seth with blanka? he keeps destroying me with with a ultra move.
Seth: 'Become a part of me!'
Blanka: 'Oh snaps!'

Fersis said:
Speaking of Rufus (awful name) i cant do the first cancel normal trial
(HP -> Galactic Tornado) :(

when you do the tornado hold forward that way you get the extra hit in. very important that. so tap qcf hold forward tap

Fersis

McBradders said:
"Where is my banana?"

"In my belly..... *suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck*"
MAMA!

Blue Geezer said:
when you do the tornado hold forward that way you get the extra hit in. very important that. so tap qcf hold forward tap
@_@ what?! hold forward ?!!
Keanu : Wooooooooooooooooooooow

Fersis

Doc Evils said:
Dont worry man Seth is a SNK boss wanna be but it fails.
Is not as hard as many people say.
Play on easiest :)

Doc Evils

Fersis said:
dont worry man Seth is a SNK boss wanna be but it fails.
Is not as hard as many people says.
Play on easiest :)

Seth is the most retarded generic fail boss I have ever come across. The amount of times I had him a 1% health and then he does some kind of super turbo combo on me is fucking poor and cheap.

Fersis

Doc Evils said:
Seth is the most retarded generic fail boss I have ever come across. The amount of times I had him a 1% health and then he does some kind of super turbo combo on me is fucking poor and cheap.
The Seth character design is as bad as Gill. Way to go Capcom. :(
I dont find him cheap tough. But the character design is generic and awful.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Cammy. Hard trial #4.

Been trying to get this one for a few days off and on. My problem is that I have a bad habit of holding the focus buttons too long, which screws me up when I try to input the ultra command after the FADC.

Well, I thought I finally pulled it off earlier. I sat the controller down on my desk, smiling, only to see that I was about a split second too late.

First time I've ever seriously considered throwing my controller through my screen.

Shadow780

Lost Fragment said:
Cammy. Hard trial #4.

Been trying to get this one for a few days off and on. My problem is that I have a bad habit of holding the focus buttons too long, which screws me up when I try to input the ultra command after the FADC.

Well, I thought I finally pulled it off earlier. I sat the controller down on my desk, smiling, only to see that I was about a split second too late.

First time I've ever seriously considered throwing my controller through my screen.

Wait til you get to the last one :lol

which is two uppercuts cancel with FADCs

Guled

Doc Evils said:
the tekken 5 boss was a lot seemed a lot more cheap to me, Seth is really easy
on easiest 1 round

Ploid 3.0

2e5jg9f.jpg

This picture blew my mind. I didn't know you can get more than 3 people in search.

The online in this game is so frustrating. Matches are hard to come by, two people in a room only, people that didn't install the game cause a lot of downtime between battles, no rematch option to quickly play with the same people (why don't games do this online?), etc. The online don't feel like much of a community either. It's just you, your open slot, and smiley faces that you don't want to change because crying, shocked, angry, and winking at the opponent don't fit the situations.

dchavez

W0000t I finally beat Seth with Sakura. On Easy. My God he is ridiculously hard even at that low difficulty level. lol I once got him down to nothing in the 3rd round and thought I'd connected with an uppercut to end it and I went mental - only to look at the screen in despair to see that he'd connected at exactly the same time to take me down for like the 500th time. I swear I nearly cried. It does seem pretty busted - surely he can't be much harder on the other difficulties...right...guys?

so I put "same skill" on my filters when I'm waiting for people to join my ranked match while playing arcade, and now suddenly everyone I face is terrible at the game. I just got my the 5 wins in a row trophy, and I think I'm up to 7 straight wins now.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
This game's AI blows chunks. Honestly, if you don't want to play online, or don't have friends at your skill level to play with- there is no reason for you to buy this game. (or almost any other fighter, but especially this one)

The only fighting games with a good AI were the first two Samshos, and KOF95 that I can remember.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Just played a Boxer whose bp was at 5852. Somehow I was able to win 1 match. The other two he obliterated me. The match I won he did his ultra a hair too late and I jumped over him and st. lp into lp dragroned him for the win. I'm sure if we played 10 more matches I wouldn't win another round. His links and combos were unfair good. He did some combo where he used 3 ex moves for what must have been like 10 hits with no moves that did a double hit. Luckily I only lost 1 bp point in the loss. It makes me want to master this game so bad.

Any tips on ryu vs. boxer?

Ploid 3.0

Raging Spaniard said:
Yeah Im sure Im the only one who doesnt want lag in my fight due to my friends watching me play. It may work with games like Hyper Fighting and HDR were there isnt all that much data to process online, but Id rather they spend the resources elsewhere.

Plus, somebody still has to explain to me the fun in watching other people play the game online while I wait. Actually, scratch that, it can be fun in the right circumstances, but Id much rather be playing the game instead.

Just cause you + your buddies + some gaffers who fancy themselves game designers think Capcom is retarded for not giving you the feature you want, doesnt mean there arent as many people who want something else (improve the netcode, punish rage quitters, etc)

To me it's fun because it's with friends. Or when it's not friends you're hoping the other guy kills the unbeatable guy. It also mixes things up. I usually pick one character, if the other people also pick one character we'll have a bit more variety, and different play styles. Why do people spectate sport games? I think SF4 is a great game to watch people play, especially when you have next. Do you go to the arcade and just play another game until it's your turn? You can also study your opponents after a loss. Sure you can do that when you're playing them, but with all the stuff you're processing it's good to just focus on them (in a sport videotapes kinda way).

I wish I had a capture device like the people on youtube with HD video. Although HD video don't work well for my pc. &fmt=18

Fersis

Ploid 3.0 said:
To me it's fun because it's with friends. Or when it's not friends you're hoping the other guy kills the unbeatable guy. It also mixes things up. I usually pick one character, if the other people also pick one character we'll have a bit more variety, and different play styles. Why do people spectate sport games? I think SF4 is a great game to watch people play, especially when you have next. Do you go to the arcade and just play another game until it's your turn? You can also study your opponents after a loss. Sure you can do that when you're playing them, but with all the stuff you're processing it's good to just focus on them (in a sport videotapes kinda way).

I wish I had a capture device like the people on youtube with HD video. Although HD video don't work well for my pc. &fmt=18
PS3 youtube support could happen... i mean that thing of Ono saying 'we are maxing the consoles power'... yeah PR talk.

Ploid 3.0

Fersis said:
PS3 youtube support could happen... i mean that thing of Ono saying 'we are maxing the consoles power'... yeah PR talk.

"SF4 is at max power! We can't record video as well. Think about the lag man! The lag!"

GT5's video recording is magic and code. I just wonder why games can't save the code routine (save the inputs?) and just let us save the video in the video replay mode (remember video replay in CvS2. Ahead of their times) then upload to youtube. The video replay mode won't need to work on AI, physics, and such I think. Note: I'm actually not a game designer, or anything to do with games and code.

Oh and remember Driver 1 video replays/editing? PSX game that was. Best video editing since Pain that I have seen.

ShinAmano

I was on an ass kicking mission last night...then I lost two straight games (a first) becasue of laggy connections and lost all the BP I gained in 15+ wins :(

Ploid 3.0

I had one laggy unplayable game in 300 matches. I won it though. It was weird, it wasn't so bad that I couldn't do what I wanted, but it was like a stop and go type of play. Someone messing with the pause button while you're watching a movie.

Fersis

Ploid 3.0 said:
"SF4 is at max power! We can't record video as well. Think about the lag man! The lag!"

GT5's video recording is magic and code. I just wonder why games can't save the code routine (save the inputs?) and just let us save the video in the video replay mode (remember video replay in CvS2. Ahead of their times) then upload to youtube. The video replay mode won't need to work on AI, physics, and such I think. Note: I'm actually not a game designer, or anything to do with games and code.

Oh and remember Driver 1 video replays/editing? PSX game that was. Best video editing since Pain that I have seen.
It can be done, just that you should have to watch the entire replay.
I think that in the announced path there is the replay feature.
But i doubt that capcom is gonna do the extra mile and add youtube support.
It can be done.

Barrett2

Timedog said:
Just played a Boxer whose bp was at 5852. Somehow I was able to win 1 match. The other two he obliterated me.

I am at 200BP, but I will occasionally win the the first around against a 2000+ BP fighter. Then they will snap to attention and whoop me the next two rounds, but at least I know I gave them a little scare. :D

Top Bottom