• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Xater

What can I do against Akumas that just jump away and throw out fireballs with Blanka and Dan? I can beat them but not all the time...

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Ploid 3.0 said:
We need to utilize the sf4 thread in the online forums. I'm itching to ask if people want to play here but it feels so wrong and dirty. I remember when the strict forum rules split gaming discussions from OT. I posted, "What if I still talk about games here anyway" then Bishoptl set me straight. :(

hehe, yeah. The Official Gears 2 thread has basically turned into an online matchup thread. I'm not sure what the official policy is. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes it's not.

Ploid 3.0

Xater said:
What can I do against Akumas that just jump away and throw out fireballs with Blanka and Dan? I can beat them but not all the time...

Yea that sucks. I'm a blanka player too. What I do is get some gauge and use my ex roll to safely close the gap. It's either that or take a slow approach which gives them control of the fight pretty much. "Attack aggressively!"

jaypah

Shadow780 said:
Here's two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDNrYWHSSbI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y68Cm46f_LU&feature=related

Shows a lot of feint f.MK cancel into throw, the range is ridiculously long, and if the opponent is anticipating that you can mix it up with f.MK, cross up, uppercuts, or just regular combos.

To play Ken effectively you really need to master that great move.

awesome vids! i had been doing some of that just because it felt right but it's cool to see it all worked into a cohesive strategy. my cross ups are decent enough but i do need to be quicker on the throw. but that should be pretty easy to work on as i can feel when i had the opportunity and was just too late on acting on it. also my combo game has gotten super rusty but one obstacle at a time!

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Has anyone come up with some good tricks/positions for using blanka's coward pose? I kept thinking there had to be more of a use to it than hiding under fireballs and I never see tournament videos that use it.

I've noticed though that it can hide under a *lot* normals, the most interesting of which are crouching jabs. Coupled with the fact that you can cancel into electricity, I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried doing mixups like:
crossup->hide->electricity to try and bait the crouching jab.

Probably doesn't work against sweeps though? I've noticed the timing for hiding vs throws can be finicky as well. Does coward's stance have throw invinceability in the beginning? It seems like if I hide at the same time that they throw, the throw sometimes whiffs even at 0 range. That would make this mixup even more interesting.

The fact that I have *never* seen a tournament video make use of this makes me wary that there is some key weakness I'm missing though.

Ploid 3.0

Yea some people are better at it than the one in that vid. If I try to hopping isn't a good idea, and slide isn't as successful as that vid shows for me. I slide when I'm in range to hit though. Thank goodness akuma's teleport isn't usable in the air, and is slow.

Shadow780

Depends on the player I guess, I'm not good at Blanka, so I usually pick Viper. I think she match up well against ballspamming Akumas...

It's good that Akuma's defense is very low so if you gain an advantage just try wait for him to attack...

Duke Togo

I know its probably already been said, but I don't think playing online is making me a better player. All it is doing is training me how to take down a Ken/Ryu/Akuma with Bison over and over and over. I assumed there would be fewer shoto opponents as time went on, but it actually seems like I faced more of them last night than in any other session. Here's to hoping that people branch out in the coming weeks.

ShinAmano

Can I just say that Ken got the shit end of the stick with the new costumes.

Akuma - Bad ass new look.
Gouken - Same
Ryu - Same
Dan - Hate the character, but is fun to use with the new gear.

Ken - WTF is this shit...pimp robes and gold chains? Seriously why not a suit or anything but that...

Ploid 3.0

Duke Togo said:
I know its probably already been said, but I don't think playing online is making me a better player. All it is doing is training me how to take down a Ken/Ryu/Akuma with Bison over and over and over. I assumed there would be fewer shoto opponents as time went on, but it actually seems like I faced more of them last night than in any other session. Here's to hoping that people branch out in the coming weeks.

The best thing to do to try to get better is join someone in a none ranked room. If they are better than you by a large degree hope they don't quit before you learn something. You'll tighten up your game and use more strategy out of necessity.

Xater

Shadow780 said:
Depends on the player I guess, I'm not good at Blanka, so I usually pick Viper. I think she match up well against ballspamming Akumas...

It's good that Akuma's defense is very low so if you gain an advantage just try wait for him to attack...

Well the thing is when I got near him he had no chance but the getting near him was the problem. :lol

Duke Togo said:

If you haven't already then get on the NeoGAF SF4 lists. Just create your own player room and ask people to join. The GAF competition is Fierce and people use a very wide range of players.

slayn

Against akuma with blanka, I've never faced a *good* akuma so my advice could be way off...

If the akuma spams airfireballs enough that you can predict them, you can do upball right as he jumps to nail him and get close.

For ground fireballs, it depends on the distance. From full screen just jump over them or FADC them. If you are close enough to hit then slide, obviously. If you are about mid screen, close enough that you could ball him before a fireball comes out, then ball is safe against akuma as long as he does not have an ultra ready. So early on you can be very aggressive with the balls. Be sure to mixup balls with lp ball (to approach, don't hit him) into throw or lp ball into electricity.

If you have super meter, then go to town. EX ball him in the face. Ex rainbow to cross up or land next to him and throw.

If you still really, really have problems getting in against a fireball spammer, then just keep doing cowards pose to keep it a stalemate until the akuma get's bored and tries to do something else.

Duke Togo

Ploid 3.0 said:
The best thing to do to try to get better is join someone in a none ranked room. If they are better than you by a large degree hope they don't quit before you learn something. You'll tighten up your game and use more strategy out of necessity.
Good call; I assumed that the ranked matches would be more varied, but I will try this tonight. And thanks for the suggestion Omar, I would love to play some gaffers. :)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
Yea that sucks. I'm a blanka player too. What I do is get some gauge and use my ex roll to safely close the gap. It's either that or take a slow approach which gives them control of the fight pretty much. "Attack aggressively!"

Like Ploid said, EX h. ball is your friend, it'll go through fireballs...although be careful as it has a max distance. That plus DF+Fierce (slide) and KKK and D+PPP are your friend. Use D+PPP to duck under fireballs instead of taking block damage and use KKK to cover some distance as I believe its a little quicker than a regular dash. DF+Fierce has a lot more range than you think. Get the timing down and you can hit them from a good distance. I believe you have to be max distance for it to be safe on block though.

Akuma is a little trickier because of his air fireball. You're going to take some chip damage from blocking...although if you like to take risks you can negate this with focus attack or well timed jumps. If you time your EX h. ball you should be able to occasionally catch Akuma on his way down from his air ball or even with the EX v. ball. Most importantly be patient. :)

AndresON777

shooting blanks
ShinAmano said:

Gouken - Same
Ryu - Same

Ken - WTF is this shit...pimp robes and gold chains? Seriously why not a suit or anything but that...

Really? lol that actually makes me want to buy it

Xater

slayn said:
Against akuma with blanka, I've never faced a *good* akuma so my advice could be way off...

If the akuma spams airfireballs enough that you can predict them, you can do upball right as he jumps to nail him and get close.

For ground fireballs, it depends on the distance. From full screen just jump over them or FADC them. If you are close enough to hit then slide, obviously. If you are about mid screen, close enough that you could ball him before a fireball comes out, then ball is safe against akuma as long as he does not have an ultra ready. So early on you can be very aggressive with the balls. Be sure to mixup balls with lp ball (to approach, don't hit him) into throw or lp ball into electricity.

If you have super meter, then go to town. EX ball him in the face. Ex rainbow to cross up or land next to him and throw.

If you still really, really have problems getting in against a fireball spammer, then just keep doing cowards pose to keep it a stalemate until the akuma get's bored and tries to do something else.

I really need to learn to charge when I jump as it seems. That's really my weakness right now. I never really played a charger before and I just forget to do it. :lol

@ henhowc: Patienc emay be my other problem ;)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Xater said:
I really need to learn to charge when I jump as it seems. That's really my weakness right now. I never really played a charger before and I just forget to do it. :lol

@ henhowc: Patienc emay be my other problem ;)

Same here. Getting to turtlers can be quite the chore sometimes. That being said. Once you get in mid-range, your offensive options open up a lot more and those shotos will need to be a lot more careful in terms of throwing out random fireballs. People start to get flustered...never jump at a Blanka with charge ppl ;)

rager

Banned
Seth is a tough boss but very beatable. I crushed him on Hardest difficulty with Ken, Ryu, Blanka, Zangeif.

In fact, his difficulty almost stays the same from medium to hardest. And no, I don't play the lame FK, FP noob way. I play him straight up.

Once you know his patterns he is easy to defeat.

espionage

I created a "reduced ink" printable movelist for all the characters if anyone is looking for one:

sf4listshot.jpg

http://espion4ge.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/sf4_pmovelist.pdf

it's 9 pages with about 3 characters per page, but if you print them double sided it comes out to 5 pages total.

ChrisGoldstein said:
199 BP here lol.

I got them in 3 wins vs guys with like over a thousand. Some people cant handle Blanka, I guess they're not used to seeing it.

Was doing good then I met this Gief, man was a fucking beast. The LP stops the damn roll, I got one round against him but his ultra crushed me like a little girl

Was it a Rufus player? Then it was probably me. I have 2800 BP but I lose to the crappiest of crap Blanka players. They just run away the whole time, and spam blanka balls. It takes so much work just to get in on them, that I just do Rufus taunt (where he sits down and wipes his brow) because that's how I feel chasing his ass all day.

Don't understand that non-install complaints. Is this a PS3 issue? I've noticed some battles take an extra 3 seconds to load, is that people who do not install? Or is it a latency thing? Either way it is not bothersome at all on 360.

Also, rest assured this game sold somewhere around 500k copies on 360. My leaderboards people with 0 BP are at the 320,000 range so assuming how many people bought this offline I'm ballparking 500k February numbers 360 and 300k PS3 (that's the normal trade off, give or take.). That's almost a million, that's really fucking good. But we'll know in a few days.

Dartastic

1367 BP... Slowly moving on up! I'd probably have more if I was playing more... I've tried to cut back my play time. I've noticed that the Ryu's and Ken's are mostly gone. That's good! :D

As Ryu, what can I do against an EX Blanka Ball? I'm pretty sure I can do exactly jack shit, besides jumping over it.

haunts said:
Man I really suck with Cammy.. :\

I think a Cammy flowchart could also be made. It'd go something like "Cannon Spike, Cannon Spike, Cannon Drill, Cannon Spike, Cannon Drill..."

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Dartastic said:
1367 BP... Slowly moving on up! I'd probably have more if I was playing more... I've tried to cut back my play time. I've noticed that the Ryu's and Ken's are mostly gone. That's good! :D

As Ryu, what can I do against an EX Blanka Ball? I'm pretty sure I can do exactly jack shit, besides jumping over it.

I think a Cammy flowchart could also be made. It'd go something like "Cannon Spike, Cannon Spike, Cannon Drill, Cannon Spike, Cannon Drill..."

I think its more like "Cannon Drill.. did it hit? No? Fuck it.. Cannon Spike! Did it hit? Yes! etc etc"

RedAssedApe

Banned
ShinAmano said:

Gouken - Same
Ryu - Same

Is it really a pimp robes? From the screens it just looked like a warm-up karate gi. I think they should have put in pony-tail ken from SF Alpha. I'd buy something just to get rid of his dumb and dumber haircut..it just doesn't fit ken to look like such a dweeb.

ShinAmano

henhowc said:
Is it really a pimp robes? From the screens it just looked like a warm-up karate gi. I think they should have put in pony-tail ken from SF Alpha. I'd buy something just to get rid of his dumb and dumber haircut..it just doesn't fit ken to look like such a dweeb.
Not entirely Pimp Robes, but it does have the furry neck and gold chains which is close enough. The rest of the outfit sans shoes is ok...but pales in comparison to the battle tested theme of the rest of the pack.

Stalfos

ShinAmano said:

Gouken - Same
Ryu - Same

If you look in the artwork section Ken's alt is the costume for what looked like another shoto character that didn't get included in the game.

ShinAmano

Stalfos said:
If you look in the artwork section Ken's alt is the costume for what looked like another shoto character that didn't get included in the game.
I guess we can be thankful that there was not another shoto.

ShinAmano

Augemitbutter said:
got three people leaving friendly matches today.

its starting to get lame.
I had a quitter last night that I felt like calling out...so i sent the message 'if you cant take the loss your nothing but a punk'

I got back death wishes against my family and claims that it was a connection issue.

I sent a message and an invite to a player match which was also responded with death wishes and such...lol.

Yesterday sucked. I got sick from something I ate at Soho so I called out of work. I figured I might as well get my BP up between bouts of abdominal pain and running to the toilet. I set my game to arcade with ranked fight request on and was in the middle of a CPU match when my work calls me so I turn my 360 off. After the call I fire the 360 back up and it tells me there is no save data? WTF? I was playing the CPU and the game was not even saving when I turned it off. So, now my 3000+BP, 300+ matches, and 70% win percentage is reset to 0. Anyone else have this happen?

UnholySpectacle said:
Yesterday sucked. I got sick from something I ate at Soho so I called out of work. I figured I might as well get my BP up between bouts of abdominal pain and running to the toilet. I set my game to arcade with ranked fight request on and was in the middle of a CPU match when my work calls me so I turn my 360 off. After the call I fire the 360 back up and it tells me there is no save data? WTF? I was playing the CPU and the game was not even saving when I turned it off. So, now my 3000+BP, 300+ matches, and 70% win percentage is reset to 0. Anyone else have this happen?

Happened to me. I didn't have nearly as much BP but I did unlock a bunch of stuff.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Happened to me. I didn't have nearly as much BP but I did unlock a bunch of stuff.

Hmmm...Capcom might need to patch this then. I went through and unlocked everyone again in a marathon session last night because I love playing the unlocked characters more than the standard set. It just ruined my day, not that it was going that well to begin with.

And I agree about the rage quitters, this shit needs to stop. I fought 3 different Kens in a row yesterday and each one quit right before I KO'd them.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
RSTEIN said:
lol, that's what I like to call Ken/Ryu panic mode

SWEEP JUMP KICK SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP JUMP KICK SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP

the twin douches, gotta love em.

haha. As a startout Ryu player it's hard not to do this when you start getting beat on. I work on combos and just take the pounding that comes with not being able to execute them, but I find street fighter in general, even if playing with other players tends to push me to panic mode. I haven't played a fighter in years and the last one was soul calibur so I guess....

Also, challenge trial mode I finally beat normal for ryu and started in on hard. holy shit they werent kidding.

I think its something like
c.lk
c.lp
c.lp
c.mk

can't for the life of me get the last kick to come out. how in the hell can it be so difficult? Is there a 'secret' to getting these harder normal combos down? I've tried looking for a visual cue, but at this point i'm doing trial and error. and error. and error.

slayn

catfish said:
haha. As a startout Ryu player it's hard not to do this when you start getting beat on. I work on combos and just take the pounding that comes with not being able to execute them, but I find street fighter in general, even if playing with other players tends to push me to panic mode. I haven't played a fighter in years and the last one was soul calibur so I guess....

Also, challenge trial mode I finally beat normal for ryu and started in on hard. holy shit they werent kidding.

I think its something like
c.lk
c.lp
c.lp
c.mk

can't for the life of me get the last kick to come out. how in the hell can it be so difficult? Is there a 'secret' to getting these harder normal combos down? I've tried looking for a visual cue, but at this point i'm doing trial and error. and error. and error.

combos like that are... weird. Your problem, in fact, is that you are probably doing it too fast. I'm not sure if this applies since the 4th hit is a normal rather than a cancel into a special move... but try connecting the 3rd hit in a combo like this as *late* as possible while having it still count as a combo. Only if the 3rd hit is late will you be able to get the 4th hit to come out.

MoxManiac

UnholySpectacle said:

I'm more concerned about BP being stored locally. That is really something that should be server-side.

Top Bottom