• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Tr4nce

So ehm, I cancelled my order today. Have been playing this at my friends house, and it just doesn't feel like Street Fighter to me anymore.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
atomico said:
even the audio player shuts down when you go online... :lol

I played against a Ken so good that seemingly everything except his character model shut down. The fire was glorious.

atomico

Tr4nce said:
So ehm, I cancelled my order today. Have been playing this at my friends house, and it just doesn't feel like Street Fighter to me anymore.

out of curiosity, what did you think of the HD remake?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Brannon said:
All that Blanka jumping; you needed to unleash more Cannon Spikes. That's all I can see so far, other than that, good going.

Just me though; CS has become a normal move for me.

I'd also say quit fucking jumping everywhere.

Really, if you want to play online, just do arcade match request. I get tons of matches this route and when I'm not playing online at least I can spar with the single player on Hard or Very Hard to keep my game up.

ShinAmano

Anyone know how well this sold yet? Just saw the Xbox live chart and SF4 was missing...this is really odd to me considering when I log on 9/10 people on my list are playing it...

Guled

DoctorWho said:
Really, if you want to play online, just do arcade match request. I get tons of matches this route and when I'm not playing online at least I can spar with the single player on Hard or Very Hard to keep my game up.
I can't even get a match t start with that on, kinda annoying when you forget to turn it off and you want to play just the arcade :lol

Barrett2

ShinAmano said:
Anyone know how well this sold yet? Just saw the Xbox live chart and SF4 was missing...this is really odd to me considering when I log on 9/10 people on my list are playing it...

I know Capcom said they shipped 2 million+, which seems pretty good. Other than that I don't know of any other figures.

But being absent from the XBL top 10 is pretty troubling. What other prominent 360 games were released this month? Seems strange.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
any tips for Gouken's HK -> Super (trial mode)? I can do Viper's, is Gouken's timing the same on this, was I just lucky with Viper's?

arstal said:
This game's AI blows chunks. Honestly, if you don't want to play online, or don't have friends at your skill level to play with- there is no reason for you to buy this game. (or almost any other fighter, but especially this one)

The only fighting games with a good AI were the first two Samshos, and KOF95 that I can remember.

I disagree. SNK AI is terrible. It's usually exploits or spam. KOF 1995 was a pretty difficult game. Omega Rugal was ridiculous too. Out of the Samurai Showdowns...maybe three was the easiest...

KOF...I finished all of them up to 1999 in the arcade...but 94 and 95 were the most difficult.

This game's AI is cake..they even walk into focus attacks...if you have ultra stored...bam.

Then the Zangief exploit basically ruins it. I'm able to complete the game on Hard without losing a round with shoto power. I'm sure it's not that much difficult with Sagat. I'd say playing with Crimson Viper or Fuerte might be a difficult.

The game also has a lot of replay factor. Mind you, I don't have much free time...but I've yet to play online because of the challenge mode, unlocking the secret characters.

If you're talking venomous AI...MK 2, MK3, MK4

The only turnoff for the game is the DLC and the fact they've been slow to patch the user's complaints.

And speaking of patches...I remember some guy from Capcom coming on the board several times to say a patch for HDR was coming. Haven't seen it... Matchmaking still sucks...the ranking system is borked and disconnects still happen frequently on PSN.

lawblob said:
I know Capcom said they shipped 2 million+, which seems pretty good. Other than that I don't know of any other figures.

But being absent from the XBL top 10 is pretty troubling. What other prominent 360 games were released this month? Seems strange.

This is the same company that said they sold out day one in Japan...

Victory (George Bush gif)

Cowie

levious said:
any tips for Gouken's HK -> Super (trial mode)? I can do Viper's, is Gouken's timing the same on this, was I just lucky with Viper's?

I want to say that one gave me trouble because you have to get the super off when the first hit of his kick occurs, if this is the one i'm thinking of. What I ended up doing was doing the first quarter circle forward, hitting kick,and then doing the second and hitting punch. Maybe?

levious

Cowie said:
I want to say that one gave me trouble because you have to get the super off when the first hit of his kick occurs, if this is the one i'm thinking of. What I ended up doing was doing the first quarter circle forward, hitting kick,and then doing the second and hitting punch. Maybe?

yes that's the one, and that's a good idea that I hadn't thought of... I've just been trying to squeeze the two qc rolls between the first and second kick. Makes sense, sort of like how the charge characters let you spread out the super input.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
doesn't FEEL Like SFIV isn't doing well online, I play arcade with player match set to on, and I get a match usually before the round starts :lol

I have yet to play ranked though. Is there as many hopeless players playing ranked? I'd say I played around 60 games online and won around 45% or so

The sad thing is that the top 10 XBL unique user list does not track online play, it tracks users signed in while playing the game in any mode at all.

If the HAWX demo had more downloads than SFIV has sales then smh.

Shadow780

catfish said:
doesn't FEEL Like SFIV isn't doing well online, I play arcade with player match set to on, and I get a match usually before the round starts :lol

I have yet to play ranked though. Is there as many hopeless players playing ranked? I'd say I played around 60 games online and won around 45% or so

I encounter about 7 or 8 flowchart shotos in every 10 matches...

I'm confident SF4 sold very well this month for the Xbox. Too many of my non-gamer friends have picked up a copy, even though that XBL top 10 activity list may say otherwise. We'll find out next week though.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
With Abel,

How do you >>> Blanka's Electro shock move? i need the most consistent move: crouching MP works sometimes and Axe kick work sometimes, the sweep has'nt worked for me...

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
McBradders said:
It's not like these are mutually exclusive features and that one would affect the other. The demand is definitely there for quarter lobbies, or indeed something akin to the 4 cabinet link they used when Super Street Fighter II hit the arcades. That used 4 cabs and you all played all the time, switching cabs as instructed after each match. That would be a fine compromise but that fact I often have a group of people who all want to play eachother but can't without jumping through so many hoops is a huge oversight on Capcom's part because, as is evident, I am far from alone in the matter.

FYI, I am a game designer so you can keep your snarky comments about such matters to yourself ;)

Well, Ill apologize for generalizing, but you know how GAF gets ;)

Ploid 3.0

I don't even know why I'm messing around with ranked games other than I think it unlocks more icons. Just like SFHD quickplay friendly match is where I should ultimately end up. No searching after every fight, and less painful (unless the guy didn't install).

jaypah

Shadow780 said:
I encounter about 7 or 8 flowchart shotos in every 10 matches...

speaking of flowchart, does anyone know any good vids to check out that can show me how to work Ken outside of the flowchart? i do ok online (lost more that i've won though) but i want to be less predictable. i can get in and change it up some but i can't seem to shake the old SF2 on SNES habits. it's like my muscle memory just does whatever the fuck it wants to sometimes.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
lawblob said:
I am at 200BP, but I will occasionally win the the first around against a 2000+ BP fighter. Then they will snap to attention and whoop me the next two rounds, but at least I know I gave them a little scare. :D

199 BP here lol.

I got them in 3 wins vs guys with like over a thousand. Some people cant handle Blanka, I guess they're not used to seeing it.

Was doing good then I met this Gief, man was a fucking beast. The LP stops the damn roll, I got one round against him but his ultra crushed me like a little girl

Ploid 3.0

~Devil Trigger~ said:
With Abel,

How do you >>> Blanka's Electro shock move? i need the most consistent move: crouching MP works sometimes and Axe kick work sometimes, the sweep has'nt worked for me...

Maybe you're too close when you sweep. Try it in training mode with the dummy set to shock for a long time. Cr. MK is a angle up kick so that would get shocked I believe. His sweep kick should work though. Maybe you was caught with a ex shock and didn't realize it. Ex thunder is bigger and more protected.

hey Mox ,
I want to fight your new characters, I haven't played much against new characters online, I want to see some of that Space Opera Symphony.
After you guys find time off from the tournement (that I missed), I wanna fight you :p

Shadow780

jaypah said:
speaking of flowchart, does anyone know any good vids to check out that can show me how to work Ken outside of the flowchart? i do ok online (lost more that i've won though) but i want to be less predictable. i can get in and change it up some but i can't seem to shake the old SF2 on SNES habits. it's like my muscle memory just does whatever the fuck it wants to sometimes.

You might want to master Ken's f.MK cancel into regular throw, that combine with the actual f.MK is a great pressuring strategy, and a nice addition to Ken's traditional flowcharts.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
~Devil Trigger~ said:
With Abel,

Odd--that's what I've used but not real up close. You know what I haven't tried yet? Focus Attack. I wonder if that would go right through it at level 3 charge. At the very least, it would make the Blanka player snap to attention and stop just in case. But like I said, been using Abel's sweep with success.

MoxManiac

gutter_trash said:
hey Mox ,
I want to fight your new characters, I haven't played much against new characters online, I want to see some of that Space Opera Symphony.
After you guys find time off from the tournement (that I missed), I wanna fight you :p

Yeah, i'm up for it any time i'm online playing SF4. The tournament is going at a snail's pace anyways so it won't interfere with that. You use honda and bison, right? I could definitely use some experience versus them...especially bison. He's a beast.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
ChrisGoldstein said:
199 BP here lol.

I got them in 3 wins vs guys with like over a thousand. Some people cant handle Blanka, I guess they're not used to seeing it.

Was doing good then I met this Gief, man was a fucking beast. The LP stops the damn roll, I got one round against him but his ultra crushed me like a little girl
In blanka vs gief, you really gotta play much more defensive. Stay out of his grab range and don't use ball. Focus attacks are very unsafe as well, unless you are FADC'ing to try and bait his spin move.

You really have to just hunker down and keep poking at him. Upball any attempts to jump, and slide any attempts to spin. Aside from that, just keep poking with c.hk, c.mp, and s.mp.

If you get a knockdown, you can try and bait him by starting your focus attack and then backdashing right as he gets up. I usually avoid blanka shenanegans here. Don't cross up, don't jump in, don't go for throws.

edit:
forgot to mention I don't like c.hp in this match, because it will get hit pretty regularly by gief spinning.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
_dementia said:
The sad thing is that the top 10 XBL unique user list does not track online play, it tracks users signed in while playing the game in any mode at all.

If the HAWX demo had more downloads than SFIV has sales then smh.

XBL activity won't determine if a sequel comes, so don't worry about it.

My guess is more top players are on PSN due to PS3 bias at SRK. (but there's plenty of great ones on 360 as well)

I do think the flowcharters are starting to quit, it's taking longer to get matches- but fewer braindead matches where I just headbutt whiffed DP all day.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I really really really think they need to fix Seth. I would get tons more enjoyment out of the game if I could unlock all the characters. While I manage to hold my own online (1300bps currently), I can't even beat Seth on easy with the second and third string characters.

RSTEIN said:
I really really really think they need to fix Seth. I would get tons more enjoyment out of the game if I could unlock all the characters. While I manage to hold my own online (1300bps currently), I can't even beat Seth on easy with the second and third string characters.

Are you playing on easy? You can turn it down to easiest. At that level I was able to beat him with everyone, usually on my first try.

ShinAmano

RSTEIN said:
I had no problem, but I think that some people i know would agree...then again I did not notice much change in the way he plays from easiest to hardest...is it possible they did not make him 'easier' on the easier levels?

Xbox 360 Top Live Titles (based on UU’s)

1 Call of Duty: WaW
2 Halo 3
3 Call of Duty 4
4 Gears of War 2
5 GTA IV
6 Left 4 Dead
7 STREET FIGHTER IV
8 FIFA 09
9 Halo Wars Demo
10 Guitar Hero World Tour

jaypah

Shadow780 said:
You might want to master Ken's f.MK cancel into regular throw, that combine with the actual f.MK is a great pressuring strategy, and a nice addition to Ken's traditional flowcharts.

thanks homie! i'll try to work that in.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
slayn said:

thanks man I'll try that. Yeah everything you said not to do is what I was doing lol.

I dont really have problems with shotos (especially akuma blanka crushes him) but the gief match up was tough.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Ninja Kn1ght said:
Are you playing on easy? You can turn it down to easiest. At that level I was able to beat him with everyone, usually on my first try.

ShinAmano said:
I had no problem, but I think that some people i know would agree...then again I did not notice much change in the way he plays from easiest to hardest...is it possible they did not make him 'easier' on the easier levels?

Yeah... playing on easy. I'm sure I COULD beat him but it's just SUCH a pain in the ass. Like with Viper I think I tried like 15 times and I just said to myself "you know, I could be playing online right now rather than struggling with this annoying shit." I think they need to make him easier when you select easy. I suck, yes, but I know several people in my position.

Other thing: You should be able to unlock the characters, titles, and icons through several different ways. I can't do the hard challenges AT ALL (I'm on a 360 pad so I can't even fake kick) so I'll never unlock the titles and icons. That's pretty discouraging. Why not reward me with those titles and icons when I win 200 rounds or pull off 100 ultras. You know? I understand that super good players should be rewarded but I feel like I'm being left out because 1) hardware limitations and 2) because I don't have the niche skill it takes to beat the hard challenges, which have no bearing at all when it comes to determining if you're a "good" player or not.

I guess this all comes across as whining... I dunno :lol

ShinAmano

RSTEIN said:
Other thing: You should be able to unlock the characters, titles, and icons through several different ways. I can't do the hard challenges AT ALL (I'm on a 360 pad so I can't even fake kick) so I'll never unlock the titles and icons. That's pretty discouraging. Why not reward me with those titles and icons when I win 200 rounds or pull off 100 ultras. You know? I understand that super good players should be rewarded but I feel like I'm being left out because 1) hardware limitations and 2) because I don't have the niche skill it takes to beat the hard challenges, which have no bearing at all when it comes to determining if you're a "good" player or not.
Don't worry I can't do the hard challenges either (trials) hell some of the normal ones are super hard...and i have the option of playing with either a madcatzs pad, the TE stick or a OG Saturn pad...the controls do not help...the combos are just beyond normal (even good-great players) ability.

levious

RSTEIN said:
I can't do the hard challenges AT ALL (I'm on a 360 pad so I can't even fake kick)

map heavy kick to two of your face buttons and alternatively tap as fast as you can with two fingers.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
To me it's fun because it's with friends. Or when it's not friends you're hoping the other guy kills the unbeatable guy. It also mixes things up. I usually pick one character, if the other people also pick one character we'll have a bit more variety, and different play styles. Why do people spectate sport games? I think SF4 is a great game to watch people play, especially when you have next. Do you go to the arcade and just play another game until it's your turn? You can also study your opponents after a loss. Sure you can do that when you're playing them, but with all the stuff you're processing it's good to just focus on them (in a sport videotapes kinda way).

I wish I had a capture device like the people on youtube with HD video. Although HD video don't work well for my pc. &fmt=18
there's always this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018LX0DY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ploid 3.0

We need to utilize the sf4 thread in the online forums. I'm itching to ask if people want to play here but it feels so wrong and dirty. I remember when the strict forum rules split gaming discussions from OT. I posted, "What if I still talk about games here anyway" then Bishoptl set me straight. :(

LuCkymoON said:

Oh man $200. I suppose if I was very serious about uploading stuff I'd get it, but it's only a fun thing for me. I'm not a host of tournaments or anything. The PS3 has the technology, yet not many devs are willing to figure out how to do it. I suggest they cheat. Replay saves in code that take small amounts of space (lots of GT3 replays on a 8mb memory card took up nothing). That way I wouldn't have to spend $200. It looks awesome though [/looks at the page again and drools].

This is the best quality I can get. It's from a cannon picture camera hah.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57TJpRT0IyM&fmt=18 SFHD

Top Bottom