• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

vertopci said:
What?!?!? You must be deaf, because SFIII's soundtrack is amazing.

I agree. The soundtrack in Giant Attack and Third Strike is better than IV's. I'm not a fan of the composer. His style doesn't work with fighting games.

I also don't like the backgrounds...the characters look great but the backgrounds seem a bit meh...an arena with tanks and people clapping...or fighting by a volcano...

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
shadowsdarknes said:
watsup everybody, lately i have heard nothing but praise over how fun SFIV is and i was wondering wat makes it so much fun? i havent played a SF game since the Genesis days so im sure the game mechanics have changed, but in wat ways has the gameplay evolved? this could be a potential buy for me but i'm not into renting games, and impressions would be great.

You really should rent it. I was in your situation. I haven't really played a fighting game seriously since MKII. I dabbled in the Street Fighters but they were never really my thing. I rented SFIV basically on a whim (all the Gears 2 players have left me for Killzone), not expecting much. I'm really glad I did because it truly is an awesome experience. What makes it awesome? Hmm... well, it's the complete package.

- It's immediately fun, doesn't take a lot of mastering to get into it.
- At the same time, it's incredibly deep (FADC, Ex, supers, ultras, etc.)
- Big roster that appeals to every type of player.
- Controls great even on a 360 pad (for me anyways).
- it's a 2d game that embraces its heritage and doesn't try to be a 3d wannabe.
- Has a crazy art style that's truly unique, fresh visuals, fun attitude.
- All the classic characters are back, gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling.
- Collect titles and icons as you progress through the game.
- 95% of my matches have been lag free.
- Tons of people online, ready to play ranked or player matches.
- It really is hands down one of, if not the best, fighting game ever (for me anyways).

haunts said:
yeah the run stop fierce combo.

Ah, I didn't know it had a nick already but I figured that's what it was since it's always so prominent in online Fuerte vids.I'm working my way through everyone's challenges and I'm stuck in his normal challenge 4 right now coincidentally. It can't be stated enough what great training the challenges are as I feel like I've gotten so much better by doing them.

Vdragoon

prodystopian said:
Another great way to land an ultra is with a crumple FA (either level 3 or as a counter). I've been practicing the timing for it lately.

so, i've pretty much got the timing, although the 360 analog is so loose my charge doesn't come out sometimes. and this can only be done in the corner unforunately as they bounce away otherwise.

also, ken's JHK > ultra works, i was a bit surprised.

DihcarEM

SonnyBoy said:
I finally scored a pad and Im playing so much worse than I did with the 360 standard pad. :( :lol

Happend to me too, i was pretty decent with the ps3 pad. Now i suck with the TE stick, i'm really hoping that in a few weeks time i get to be atleast as good as how i was with the pad.

got six quitters today in ranked, four witihin the last hour.

3x akuma
1x ken
1x ryu
1x bison

4 sucked, 2 were at least decent. they will be forever stuck at that level :lol

Won

Finally got a "cheap bitch!" hate message from a Ken player! Now I'm complete and can move on to player matches instead of ranked games!

RSTEIN said:
You really should rent it. I was in your situation. I haven't really played a fighting game seriously since MKII. I dabbled in the Street Fighters but they were never really my thing. I rented SFIV basically on a whim (all the Gears 2 players have left me for Killzone), not expecting much. I'm really glad I did because it truly is an awesome experience. What makes it awesome? Hmm... well, it's the complete package.

- It's immediately fun, doesn't take a lot of mastering to get into it.
- At the same time, it's incredibly deep (FADC, Ex, supers, ultras, etc.)
- Big roster that appeals to every type of player.
- Controls great even on a 360 pad (for me anyways).
- it's a 2d game that embraces its heritage and doesn't try to be a 3d wannabe.
- Has a crazy art style that's truly unique, fresh visuals, fun attitude.
- All the classic characters are back, gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling.
- Collect titles and icons as you progress through the game.
- 95% of my matches have been lag free.
- Tons of people online, ready to play ranked or player matches.
- It really is hands down one of, if not the best, fighting game ever (for me anyways).

thanks for taking the time to write that. i have more questions but honestly it sounds like renting the game would be better than reading text, thanks again.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
shadowsdarknes said:
thanks for taking the time to write that. i have more questions but honestly it sounds like renting the game would be better than reading text, thanks again.

Yeah, I wouldn't go out and buy it. Rent it. I was ready to break the game in half after playing an hour or two online. I sucked big time. I still suck - a lot - but I'm now having a blast after I got my head around the FADC, ultras, combos, etc.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Most Sagats I play online I just block a lot until they inevitability do a random uppercut, or I block both hits of the tiger knee and punish..until then just avoid tiger shots and wait for the full screen Ultra..

GG's EraldoCoil!

Does anyone else on PSN have a hard time connecting to ranked matches? I can connect to anyone on my friend's list just fine, but for some reason trying to get a ranked match is damn near impossible! I'll use custom search and always get results, but the games will always be full or I can't connect. It takes me a good 10 min. to ever get a ranked game going.

On the other side, I was at a friends place who had the 360 version, and he was connecting to games like it was nothing! So is it just me, or is it PSN as a whole?

FindMyFarms said:
Does anyone else on PSN have a hard time connecting to ranked matches? I can connect to anyone on my friend's list just fine, but for some reason trying to get a ranked match is damn near impossible! I'll use custom search and always get results, but the games will always be full or I can't connect. It takes me a good 10 min. to ever get a ranked game going.

It's a universal problem with the game, not just the PS3 version. It takes forever to get online matches going, it really is terrible, I haven't played much of it since I unlocked everybody because of it. Lets hope they patch it quickly, it's just too much when it takes longer to get in to a match than fight it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Guile doesn't seem to have a lot of offensive tools, although his Ultra has pretty good priority. I'm curious as to how he is supposed to be used.

NeoUltima said:
Am I the only one that feels Sagat's ultra is a bit overpowered?

I think we all feel that way lol. If you think he's gonna pull the ultra off, you can always hide in the corner, the second uppercut only hits you twice! Yay! I mean if you're gonna lose, at least don't give them the satisfaction of a shiny ko screen right?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
SapientWolf said:
Guile doesn't seem to have a lot of offensive tools, although his Ultra has pretty good priority. I'm curious as to how he is supposed to be used.

I've seen this gimmick used

Knee into focus attack, people like to retaliate after the knee with a normal, so the FA can get them.

I tried it myself and it was pretty effective until they adjust.

iam220

Screw all you sagat haters. Blanka on the other hand ... ugh!

FindMyFarms said:
GG's EraldoCoil!

On the other side, I was at a friends place who had the 360 version, and he was connecting to games like it was nothing! So is it just me, or is it PSN as a whole?

Play arcade with fight request. Much better.

Could someone tell me the secret to completing the Gouken normal trial of standing HK>>>ShinSRK?

Everytime I do it, his two kicks come out.

And for Boxer's headbutt>>>Ultra...is it hold UB immediately after hitting the headbutt?

LakeEarth

Spiderjericho said:
Could someone tell me the secret to completing the Gouken normal trial of standing HK>>>ShinSRK?
I was stuck on that one for 5 minutes, trying all these tricks until I realized you just have to super-cancel on the first hit of the kick.

Shadow780

Spiderjericho said:

And for Boxer's headbutt>>>Ultra...is it hold UB immediately after hitting the headbutt?

qcf HK + qcf 3Punches, easier.

Boxer: DBUB punch + Ultra.

Got them both to work. Thanks guys. Seriously wtf...

The Gouken...I had to qcf k, qcf p.

Boxer was easy...scary combo that jump in, low jab, low jab, low short, head butt...whatever

Mr Jared

Believe it or not, even when everyone is sharing sticks, some players don't wash their hands ... so my girlfriend made this sign and posted it on the bathroom door from the inside.

3331625747_e1228c03d8.jpg

Will it work? Only Twitter knows for sure.

Fuuuuuck Yeah......I took you guys advice and won a match....I feel soooo awesome right now expecially since it came after a friend pf mine owned me badly (like 2 wins to his 9, and my two wins were from Sagat spamming.....tho he beat me with Dan....twice).

But I used Chun-Li against some dude and won.

problem?

...he was using Dan..fuck

Baby steps right.

Median

Just played an Akuma player as Cammy, we were both at one win a piece and down to very little health. The guy decided to sit back and spam fireballs so I spinning backfisted him and ended it with a spiral arrow. Damn that felt good.

NYR

Wow, what a difference b/t Ranked and Player.

Been playing Player matches, and it has been a blast. My winning % was around 80%, and was playing some really good people. Well over 100 matches played. Got a lot of messages over PSN that were friendly.

I decided to switch over to Ranked today. And oh my.

At the end of tonight, my winning % is @ 70% and I have never seen so many cheap players ever. Pathetic. People spamming a move then blocking....over and over. It was pretty frustrating. And then the obligatory trash talk via PSN messages. :|

Got a trophy for 3 wins in a row, that was cool, was going for my 5th match and this cheap Akuma kept spamming me with fireballs, and anytime I got close, I threw his ass, since he was not blocking, which only gave him his ultra which he nailed me with both times to finish me off - no 5 wins in a row trophy for me. :(

A lot of Kens. A LOT. I played against him almost exclusively, only a couple of matches where I did not fight him.

Sigh. People take BP a bit too serious. And speaking of, why do I have 200 or so and am getting matched up with people in the 2000s and 3000s? System is broken, IMO.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
NYR said:
Wow, what a difference b/t Ranked and Player.

Been playing Player matches, and it has been a blast. My winning % was around 80%, and was playing some really good people. Well over 100 matches played. Got a lot of messages over PSN that were friendly.

I decided to switch over to Ranked today. And oh my.

At the end of tonight, my winning % is @ 70% and I have never seen so many cheap players ever. Pathetic. People spamming a move then blocking....over and over. It was pretty frustrating. And then the obligatory trash talk via PSN messages. :|

Got a trophy for 3 wins in a row, that was cool, was going for my 5th match and this cheap Akuma kept spamming me with fireballs, and anytime I got close, I threw his ass, since he was not blocking, which only gave him his ultra which he nailed me with both times to finish me off - no 5 wins in a row trophy for me. :(

A lot of Kens. A LOT. I played against him almost exclusively, only a couple of matches where I did not fight him.

Sigh. People take BP a bit too serious. And speaking of, why do I have 200 or so and am getting matched up with people in the 2000s and 3000s? System is broken, IMO.
How do you play cheap?

If they were blocking a lot, that's when you throw them. Only problem I have with ranked is dc'ers.

NYR

FootNinja said:
How do you play cheap?

If they were blocking a lot, that's when you throw them.
Flowchart Ken's, jumping into a corner and then throwing fireballs, etc.

Really, my biggest frustration was the constant blocking and my inability to get something going. Maybe it was an off night, who knows. Just need more practice against these people....

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
NYR said:
Flowchart Ken's, jumping into a corner and then throwing fireballs, etc.

Really, my biggest frustration was the constant blocking and my inability to get something going. Maybe it was an off night, who knows. Just need more practice against these people....

Sagat? Dude, your fireballs are better/faster than kens, and your anti air is better than kens, so you should be fine if the fight consists of those 2 things

Damodar

I did it the other way around. I did ranked matches first and had all the akumas, dcers etc and the whole thing just left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Then I tried player and was basically grinning my head off.

EDIT: Although I don't hate constant fireballers so much now that I've started maining Blanka :)

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
NYR said:
Mostly Sagat, but I have been known to go Ken v. Ken when the mood strikes me.
You should have no problem with fireballs, and I think you just need to practice more. In fact fireball spammers are basically begging to be countered, since they usually only have shoryukens as their backup plan.

NYR

What is the best way to start off a match with Sagat? I normally kick it off with a low fireball, and see if he jumps in for a tiger uppecut - my problems start when they do something I don't expect....like standing there or just blocking my fireballs, lol.

I know I do have a tendency to jump in, which gets me toasted, and I need to work on that. Currently, I do not have low kicks and low punches mapped - I choose to map a throw and focus, instead. Is this a mistake? It has been working for me so far...

Damodar

NYR said:
What is the best way to start off a match with Sagat? I normally kick it off with a low fireball, and see if he jumps in for a tiger uppecut - my problems start when they do something I don't expect....like standing there or just blocking my fireballs, lol.

I know I do have a tendency to jump in, which gets me toasted, and I need to work on that. Currently, I do not have low kicks and low punches mapped - I choose to map a throw and focus, instead. Is this a mistake? It has been working for me so far...

I would say yes, it's quite a mistake

Man, had some awesome matches with slayn (helping him get ready for his tourney match). All the matches were a lot closer than last time around, yet he still came away 7-1. Blanka is just too much for my Guile; surprisingly, my Ken did a LOT better this time. Still, sucks that I couldn't close the deal in so many fights. And Blanka's ultra makes me want to rip my tightly curled hair out. Just messes me up at crucial moments. He had a lot of comeback victory with very little to no health points when I had a half bar :D.

I guess that's what separates the best from the rest. We'll have to go again, I'm still out for that green bastard's blood :lol.

Edit: sorry I didn't stay to play earlier, Eraldo. The Office and 30 Rock are 2 of the 5 things that come before this game for me right now.

Top Bottom