• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Beardz

I have been playing with Balrog (Boxer) and having a lot of fun; I love being aggressive, his ultra es awesome, great range, nice damage, etc... right now I have like 73% wins. Anyway, if someone wants to add me my PSN is Beardzzz :D

blackadde

FindMyFarms said:
Hey Blackadde, sorry for the ragequit man! I did it to gutter trash last night also lol. Having problems w/ ps3. Nice Balrog man, you definitely worked me! I'm gonna try to get on again, and see if I can get a longer session going.

yo, good game. i'm done for tonight but we should play again later. i have to watch for those jabs during my block stings, i keep getting smacked because i'm not timing things right. cheers.

Stantron

MrWhitefolks said:
Whipped up this combo video with some friends in the community over the last week+ and now it's finally out. Hopefully someone enjoys it, or that it leads to new windows of opportunity for people out there attempting to develop new combos.
:bow: wow, that's phenomenal.

blackadde said:
yo, good game. i'm done for tonight but we should play again later. i have to watch for those jabs during my block stings, i keep getting smacked because i'm not timing things right. cheers.

Yeah def, if I play tomorrow, it'll probably be under my friends psn name, since his ps3 won't crash. His PSN is bananafriends (or something like that)

Future

MrWhitefolks said:
Whipped up this combo video with some friends in the community over the last week+ and now it's finally out. Hopefully someone enjoys it, or that it leads to new windows of opportunity for people out there attempting to develop new combos.

I dont know whats more amazing. The combos or the fact that damage almost gets scaled to zero on most of them. :lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Saerk said:
What would solve the problem wouldnt be diminishing returns. What would solve the problem would be having separate BP skills stored for each of your characters. The problem lies in that the more BP you earn the further you fall if you lose. This makes people stick to their go to guy and be afraid to try something different. If they try someone else then their chances of losing rise drastically. BPs by character solves this.

This would be SO awesome.

So today I figured out that with Ryu you can jumping mp on a standing opponent and then combo it into your ultra. I think it might only work on big characters though, where the mp double hits. I thought you weren't supposed to be able to combo into a super?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Future said:
I dont know whats more amazing. The combos or the fact that damage almost gets scaled to zero on most of them. :lol
You have to take into account the psychological damage those combos must be doing to your opponent.

LukeSmith

Future said:

Is scaling the combo damage to zero the design-enforced counter to stopping infinites? (I am not good enough and never have played anyone good enough to do something like that to me in a fighting game)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
SapientWolf said:
You have to take into account the psychological damage those combos must be doing to your opponent.

Opponent? Some of those combos I doubt I'll ever see in a real match. With the high probability of fucking up and getting punished mixed with the damage scaling, it would be pretty stupid to try and pull them off. But look at the viper combo at like 2:11 or so, it takes off like 75% damage. Wow!

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Future said:

I've been noticing this, too. I regularly play with someone who is super good and ALWAYS uses Akuma. When he starts pulling off major combo after combo, there comes a point where it doesn't do much.

But that's usually when he pulls off the cheap ass Ultra and destroys me. :lol

I'll own you one day, Nutter.

Domino Theory said:
I've been noticing this, too. I regularly play with someone who is super good and ALWAYS uses Akuma. When he starts pulling off major combo after combo, there comes a point where it doesn't do much.

But that's usually when he pulls off the cheap ass Ultra and destroyes me. :lol

I'll own you one day, Nutter.

Don't get hit by it. It's as simple as jumping up.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
akachan ningen said:
Don't get hit by it. It's as simple as jumping up.

He's REALLY good at gaining momentum and backing me into a corner.

I can dodge it a few times when I'm open and free and he decides to do his ultra at random for the lolz. :p

Domino Theory said:
He's REALLY good at gaining momentum and backing me into a corner.

I can dodge it a few times when I'm open and free and he decides to do his ultra at random for the lolz. :p

you always have time to jump up even if you're cornered or getting up and he's already flying towards you.

CPS2

LukeSmith said:
Is scaling the combo damage to zero the design-enforced counter to stopping infinites? (I am not good enough and never have played anyone good enough to do something like that to me in a fighting game)

Yep that's right. It doesn't actually do zero damage, usually it drops down to 1 HP lost for each move after a number of reps of an infinite, and since characters have around 1000 HP on average, they make it so that it isn't worth the effort. Good players tend to reset their combos with an overhead or something.

dchavez

MrWhitefolks said:

Wow that is phenomenal. Great work! I've got so far to go to be good at this game :(

I think I'm starting to get bored of this game -- there just is nobody online that poses a challenge anymore...

I invited some friends, did some random fights, did some ranked fights...and meh, no challenge. I think I actually need to start looking for some local tourneys...

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
MrWhitefolks said:

God jesus fuck... FUCK! Fuuuuuck!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
C- Warrior said:
I think I'm starting to get bored of this game -- there just is nobody online that poses a challenge anymore...

I invited some friends, did some random fights, did some ranked fights...and meh, no challenge. I think I actually need to start looking for some local tourneys...

Just find better comp. Trust me, there is comp out there that can stomp you.

You're not going to get anything out of playing flowcharters.

maybe set a challenge, like getting 4000 BP or something.

I'm out, I just can't take online any more. I saw my ranked BP rise to nearly 2000 only to see it reduced back down to 800 or so after a series of cheap ass Ken/Sagats and a plethora of people rage quitting - that shit needs to be punishable, especially in ranked battles. I'll probably come back to the game at some point, hopefully in a few months time the online will be filled with more than just a load of shoto spammers & rage quitters, but for the moment i'm switching back to 3rd Strike.

Cloudy

Banned
Love the new Sakura costume. I'm having fun trying to get good with her :D

but for the moment i'm switching back to 3rd Strike.

Am I confused or is there a version or 3rd strike with online play?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Won said:
That one is nearly impossible. 19 out of 20 times the kick will be blocked.....personally I just gave up on his trials. It is not like there is any use for them anyway.
Yeah El Fuerte doesnt have any awesome combos or anything like that.
I think that he is missing a 'grappling/grabbing' move like Abel's Tornado Throw

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
How will I know when I'm good enough to start entering tourneys? That is my goal. Is there a certain bp level that most guys that play in tournaments would be likely to be above? What sub goals could I set for myself?

draven

OK, I've finally gotten the game and my Madcatz pad, I've beaten it a few times to unlock some characters, and now I want to get serious with the technical aspects such as focus attacks. Does anyone have a link to a guide or some sort of primer to point me in the right direction about the finer points of the game?

Thanks in advance.

Timedog said:
How will I know when I'm good enough to start entering tourneys? That is my goal. Is there a certain bp level that most guys that play in tournaments would be likely to be above? What sub goals could I set for myself?

You mean like tournaments like the ones we have here on gaf? or real ones like at EVO or famous arcades? Either way, BP has nothing to do with it. If you want to get into real tourneys, just go to the arcades or get-togethers and find out how good you are compared to them. If it's just gaf, just start playing whenever.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Timedog said:

When you're willing to give a whole day and lots of money to playing games, you're ready to start playing tournies.

When you're not, you shouldn't be.

Let's put it this way- when I did tournies, I was pretty mid-tier, I rarely won anything (I won a few), but there were some pretty bad people who showed up regulatly.

No_Style

MrWhitefolks said:

What the deuce?! @ Cammy combos

That's some magical stuff there.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
akachan ningen said:
You mean like tournaments like the ones we have here on gaf? or real ones like at EVO or famous arcades? Either way, BP has nothing to do with it. If you want to get into real tourneys, just go to the arcades or get-togethers and find out how good you are compared to them. If it's just gaf, just start playing whenever.

so a good tournament player might play a thousand matches in online ranked and have 0 bp? bp has to mean something. I'm not of the inclination that its the be all end all indicator of how good you are. I play mostly people who have higher bp than me, and most of the time they win.

TimeKillr

MrWhitefolks said:

You know what's incredibly sad in that video?

While these combos are all incredibly awesome, insanely difficult to pull off, etc...

They barely do any damage. There's like 2 or 3 combos during the whole video who do more damage than a clean Ultra or even basic shit like a normal into a super.

Just goes to show that the damage scaling in SF4 is out of whack. There is ABSOLUTELY no reward to doing these crazy combos other than looking good. I mean, the VERY first combo, with Ryu doing all those links, DASHING IN during the combo and continuing with more links is completely insane, yet does less damage than Abel's super. :(

Timedog said:
so a good tournament player might play a thousand matches in online ranked and have 0 bp? bp has to mean something. I'm not of the inclination that its the be all end all indicator of how good you are. I play mostly people who have higher bp than me, and most of the time they win.

It doesn't mean anything in the way you are asking. You said if there's a certain threshold tournament players are at, and no, there isn't. They might not even play ranked or even play on consoles at all. The point is, don't worry about bp, worry about being able to beat people.

MrOctober said:
I'm on PSN and when I play player matches I never pick the same character twice. I'll pick everyone on the roster even if I have no idea how to do their moves. But even then when I play strangers people always pick Ryu or Ken. I guess I need to have more friends.
Player matches could use some more filters. I go to player to goof around and learn different characters. I don't wanna play against some expert Akuma 6 matches in a row. Gimme a 'learning' or 'just for fun' filter or something. Hell, a random only filter would be awesome.

Or they could just add character-specific BP like the game should have had in the first place.

C- Warrior said:
Oh good. Will you get bored of posting in this thread next? Because shit, joke or not, these posts are lame as hell.

TimeKillr

MrOctober said:
I'm thinking of putting this game down. Ranked matches are just no fun anymore. I play as M. Bison (dictator) and the last 50 matches online (no exaggeration at all) have all been against either Kens or Ryus. I win a majority of my fights but I'm not learning anything here. I'm not facing anyone else and the rare times I do, rare being an understatement, I have no good strategies. I wish Capcom would, for just one day, make a no shotos day on online play. It's getting so boring.

I'll add you on PSN. I'm sort of in the same boat as you - I can't feel myself improving playing bad shotos all day. Thankfully there ARE some very good players that go in Player Match, but they're few and far between.

I've had rage quitters in Player Match now. It's funny. I really don't understand why you'd rage quit when there are no consequences to the match.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
akachan ningen said:
It doesn't mean anything in the way you are asking. You said if there's a certain threshold tournament players are at, and no, there isn't. They might not even play ranked or even play on consoles at all. The point is, don't worry about bp, worry about being able to beat people.

obviously i meant a tournament player that plays on console and plays ranked. Also I said a threshold that they are likely to be above. I can't play anyone good cause i live in bumfuck nowhere. I have no idea of anyone who plays this game around here, even casually. Would've went to the gamestop tournament but I didn't know about it in time. Anyways, I know that they're likely to be above my 1900, because I suck and don't have any strategies for most of the matchups, so there's a minimum threshhold. I'm sure most are likely to be above a threshhold a lot higher than that.

CPS2

C- Warrior said:

You're not looking very hard.

MNC

This thread is crazy with its jargon! :lol Can't wait for it to arrive today and start my long long learning curve.

jdub03

Timedog said:
obviously i meant a tournament player that plays on console and plays ranked. Also I said a threshold that they are likely to be above. I can't play anyone good cause i live in bumfuck nowhere. I have no idea of anyone who plays this game around here, even casually. Would've went to the gamestop tournament but I didn't know about it in time. Anyways, I know that they're likely to be above my 1900, because I suck and don't have any strategies for most of the matchups, so there's a minimum threshhold. I'm sure most are likely to be above a threshhold a lot higher than that.

From what i've seen people start to get decent above 3000 BP. There might be some scrubs at that level too since you can disconnect and keep your BP though. I've been using Rufus only so my BP hovers between 2700 and 3000. I think I'm starting to get good with him. From what I've seen a lot of good players choose 3 rounds to win matches.

ShinAmano

jdub03 said:
From what i've seen people start to get decent above 3000 BP. There might be some scrubs at that level too since you can disconnect and keep your BP though. I've been using Rufus only so my BP hovers between 2700 and 3000. I think I'm starting to get good with him. From what I've seen a lot of good players choose 3 rounds to win matches.
I am right at 3000, but god damn if I didn't have to deal with over 100+ quitters along the way...this was such a pain. You loose a match...then have two quitters in a row...the worst part is the 'custom' search takes forever...and all you find in quick match is people you could beat with one hand.

xabre

Banned
The cheapness of some players beggers belief. I played an akuma with cammy, decimated him in the first first so what do I get in the next two? Nothing but fireballs, standard and jump, over and over and over. Thanks to lag I couldn't do shit.

xabre said:
The cheapness of some players beggers belief. I played an akuma with cammy, decimated him in the first first so what do I get in the next two? Nothing but fireballs, standard and jump, over and over and over. Thanks to lag I couldn't do shit.
jump over or FADC first, ex drill through next... lather rinse repeat. but yea, with lag everything goes out the window.

MoxManiac

xabre said:

That doesn't sound all that cheap to me, just standard akuma faire. It's just that lag makes things like that pretty unbearable at times.

Timedog, I wouldn't count on online play being good at preparing you for offline tournaments. The timing offline and online is going to be different, even with 4+bar connections.

ShinAmano

Lol...also the number of Sagats showing up is crazy...about 5/6 players I see are using him now.

I did run into a decent Rufus, Gen and Chun Li yesterday...

Zapages

I played a few Akumas yesterday and most of them have the same strategy as you stated above.

So what I like to do is let them win 1 round and try to keep it close so that they don't rage quit. Plus it brings more of a challenge as well while playing as well. Its stupid, but it works. :)

C- Warrior said:

Wow you sound like a douche.

Funny how you bitch about not having competition yet you only have 3000 BP so there are plenty of people out there.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
MoxManiac said:
That doesn't sound all that cheap to me, just standard akuma faire. It's just that lag makes things like that pretty unbearable at times.

Timedog, I wouldn't count on online play being good at preparing you for offline tournaments. The timing offline and online is going to be different, even with 4+bar connections.

yeah i realize that. you have to compensate for lag with early inputs, and you'll hit guys with stuff you normally wouldn't sometimes because of the lagged input on block. But it's all I got. I'm not planning on winning anything, but I'd just like to be able to go to a street fighter tournament sometime, maybe this summer, and feel competent.

MoxManiac

Timedog said:
yeah i realize that. you have to compensate for lag with early inputs, and you'll hit guys with stuff you normally wouldn't sometimes because of the lagged input on block. But it's all I got. I'm not planning on winning anything, but I'd just like to be able to go to a street fighter tournament sometime, maybe this summer, and feel competent.

Yeah, same here. I got nothing in my neck of the woods as well. but I don't think I have the drive to travel far to a tourney anyways. Well at least i'm comfortable with a stick now if the time arises.

kurahadol

TurtleSnatcher said:
Wow you sound like a douche.

Funny how you bitch about not having competition yet you only have 3000 BP so there are plenty of people out there.

I'm honestly surprised this wasn't said earlier, I would just read this guys posts and be like "wow, pull your head out of your ass." Awesome, you are an above average SF player, you want a cookie?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Timedog said:
Exactly, specially if you play El Fuerte.Its the only way to not run like an idiot all the time.
(Tough still happens)

Top Bottom