• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

I guess I'm somewhere between below average and scrub(win percentage is 41). I thought it be fun to create my own tier chart for how I do every 10 matches against random people online(I main Ryu). And I must stress, these are my own estimates from my memory of how I've done against these characters.

Sagat 5
Ryu 5
Zangief 0(I've yet to beat a Zangief)
Balrog 1
Bison 1
Akuma 5
Chun Li 3
Blanka 1
Rufus -(never played a Rufus)
Viper 4
Ken 5
Dhalsim 0(same with Gief)
Abel 4
Guile 3
Honda 1
Fuerte 3
Vega 0
Rose 3
Fei Long 3
Dan 6
Gen 3
Seth -(only played him once and lost, I don't think it should count)
Gouken 4
Cammy 3
Sakura 6

Totals: 65 or -40(out of 24 characters)

Honestly if there weren't so many Ken, Ryu, Sagat, and Akuma players my win percentage wouldn't be as high :lol

TimeKillr

slayn said:
The problem I'm finding with searching for 'more skilled' to try to fight good random people is that it requires you to play *all the time* to keep your BP sky high so that 'more skilled' actually finds good people.

I stopped playing ranked for a while, and now it is impossible for me to find tough competition because I only have 3500BP. I just played a balrog with like 4500BP who didn't even know he could punish blanka balls and threw out random ultras.

Is it worth grinding my way up to high BP? I think no...
I think I'm just completely done with playing randoms now and am only going to play people on my friend's list.

BTW dude, good games. I'm amazed at how you kept me on my toes... I have to think a LOT more when I'm playing you. No doing 2nd hit off CoDs, etc. Lots of fun, and I really want to practice against your Blanka some more. I've never been more confused in my life :)

And ggs to Zapages also. If you want some tips, your Ryu is VERY predictable after a few rounds. At the end I could tell everything you were going to do every time.

Example: On jump in, you do 2 crouching medium kicks then a crouching roundhouse. If we trade hits in mid-air, you will ALWAYS do a EX srk when you hit the ground. If you have meter, I just have to block it. After a tatsu, you always do a SRK. These are just examples, mind you, but after a while I knew exactly what was coming when it was coming . You're still pretty good.

Chorazin

Beardz said:
Damn, I love being Boxer, he is the reason I love SF4... I have so much fun with him, I love playing againts shotos, akuma players keep running all time, spamming fireballs.

Combo + buffalo hb + ultra = sex :D

I hear ya man, Balrog is my favorite character.

MIMIC

Banned
:lol That last one wasn't a ragequit. That was a "I'm grounded and my dad caught me playing so he yanked the Ethernet cord out of the wall and beat me with it" quit

Stalfos

Anyone on PSN ever get disconnects between rounds? I figured it was just rage quitters but today I had someone win a round on me and then we got disconnected right before the next round started. I've only ever had disconnects between rounds as well.

Also, finally discovered the greatness that is EX hooligan. I've been meaning to get myself used to using it and I'm finally starting to incorporate it. It worked several times today in finishing off a match especially against those that just want to start spamming fireballs on me when we are both low on health.

Just finished Rose's hard trial. Her's were pretty simples...except for the links in the first.

The only trials I have left are the trial 5's for Gen, Abel, Fuerte and C.Viper...hmm...I wonder what they all have in common...complicated bullshit. I want to ragequit on this game.

BitchTits

Yay! Just past 2000BP!

I don't know what is up with this lobby system, but it takes forever to connect to a match in Ranked so I don't always bother - in Player it's usually instantaneous.

And, I've started quitting on (the few) people who have 1 round/30 seconds Ranked matches, screw that cat and mouse game - Sagat players are fond of this I've noticed :-/

LakeEarth

Stalfos said:
Anyone on PSN ever get disconnects between rounds? I figured it was just rage quitters but today I had someone win a round on me and then we got disconnected right before the next round started. I've only ever had disconnects between rounds as well.
I figure disconnects are actual internet problems or people having to leave unless they were just about to lose.

Spiderjericho said:
Haunts or whoever, how do I the El Fuerte's Infinite? You'd think Capcom wouldn't include that as one of his trials...
Fail.

It is one of his trials? The last Hard Trial is his RSF combo (Run, Stop, Fierce)?

EDIT:
Ugh.. stupid laptop.. periods were suppose to be ?'s

Nikashi

Banned
So where the hell is the Tournament patch that adds replays, that was supposed to be available at LAUNCH? I haven't heard a peep about it at all.

dfyb

Banned
how come sometimes i block the last grab of CoD but sometimes i don't..? is it a fierce thing? any way to tell before it's too late?

dfyb

Banned
Spiderjericho said:
Haunts or whoever, how do I the El Fuerte's Infinite? You'd think Capcom wouldn't include that as one of his trials...
it's the only way for fuerte do get a solid chunk of damage in (exception being ultra/super). damage scaling means it really isn't that big of a deal. plus, it's really hard to pull off consistently (unless you're a japanese robot).

start with fierce punch, xx (cancel) into run ___ (wait a bit), LP (to cancel run) and immediately press FP (which you'd then cancel back into run and repeat. run too little and you won't reach them. run too long and it won't combo.

edit: w/o parentheticals FP xx qcf LP __ LP, FP

xabi

dfyb said:
how come sometimes i block the last grab of CoD but sometimes i don't..? is it a fierce thing? any way to tell before it's too late?

I think it depends on whether Abel uses punch or kick in the last grab and whether you block high or low, but can never remember which is which.

If you block the first hit though, the best way to get out of it is to punish before the second hit with a throw or special (as you did to me a couple of times tonight)

Good games.

Stalfos said:

Yeah, I get at least 1 an hour. Figure it's just some weird glitch.

And I honestly think when it's said and done, Guile will be considered mid-tier. He doesn't own as much and as easily as in ST, but he's still got options against everyone. It just takes dedication.

Passed 4K tonight :D

TurtleSnatcher said:
Fail.

It is one of his trials? The last Hard Trial is his RSF combo (Run, Stop, Fierce)?

EDIT:
Ugh.. stupid laptop.. periods were suppose to be ?'s

Unfortunately...yes...they make a trial of an unintentional mistake...seriously...

Hmm...tk feint...style change...into 100 hands/super cancel, infinite and finally dash forward heavy punch cancels...are my last trials to complete.

I'd pay for a Mexican to complete them for me. I hope the next SF doesn't have this shit. At least include bread and butter or useful combos and counters and tricks. Not...HEY...let's throw a bunch of sick linking combos into FADC into ultras to discourage the hard core players...because it can't obviously be completed by newbies.

Thanks for the tips dfyb.

Jimmy Stav said:
FUCK Dictator. I play Sagat and I can never fucking win against them. The head stomp is such a pain in the ass.
jump back more at full screen, walk back to force him to miss the stomp, knee out of the way

can some one explain C.Viper to me?
wtf is up with this bizaro Trial Hard that makes no sense? Super Jump.?????? to Ultra???
Super Jump to Ultra?????? WHAT!!!??? is my brain functioning?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Stalfos said:
I sometimes get disconnects right when the first round starts. Doubt someone would disconnect me there, especially since they're rarely people who play Ken/Ruy/Akuma and haven't installed the shit. dunno, maybe there's a bottle-neck at the start of the round? :\ dunno...

gutter_trash said:
can some one explain C.Viper to me?
wtf is up with this bizaro Trial Hard that makes no sense? Super Jump.?????? to Ultra???
Super Jump to Ultra?????? WHAT!!!??? is my brain functioning?

Yes. If you watch the trial video that Haunts has linked on his site...it just seems like he just low light punch into ultra...but you have to buffer the ultra...the secret is to either qcf lp (in the down position) and tiger knee 3p...or just jump cancel into the ultra. Just don't go by the video except for the result...

C.Viper is difficult...as well as the other new challengers (except for Rufus).

Oops...here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybb-_xZHgNo&feature=channel_page

Chorazin

FUCK! What a horrible night playing SFIV. I lost way too much and lost 200 BP in fights I should have fucking won. MOTHERFUCKER!

Had two EXTREMELY boring fights against a Cammy and a Blanka where we both crouched and stared at each other for 45 seconds. So goddamn terrible.

My PSN name is Rice_Eater483 so ever since I noticed someone with a "Rice for the win" title, I've been trying to get it for myself. Problem is that I'm just a scrub who can't pull off shit like DP, FADC, Ultra and other stuff like that. I can get it by beating Sakura's 1st hard stage. But my hands just aren't coordinated enough. I'll probably hit the jumping heavy followed by crouching LK, LP, and MP like once in ten tries. But even after I manage that, my hands will go crazy desperate pressing everything else to pull off that weak and medium Shouoken.

I swear even if I was dumped on a island and I needed to do this to leave it, I don't think I could. 60+ hours of SF4 with Ryu as my main and I still have trouble doing Super/Ultra's on my DS3. Don't bother recommending a fight stick, I'm much worse with one. Man I really miss shit like Action Replay, whatever happened to those cheat devices?

So basically what I'm trying to say is, this sucks.

MIMIC

Banned
I just realized how to counter Bison's headstomp. Focus Attack! It's so simple! Why didn't I think of that before? The dash by itself also works well, too.

Razorwind

MIMIC said:
I just realized how to counter Bison's headstomp. Focus Attack! It's so simple! Why didn't I think of that before? The dash by itself also works well, too.

Edit: Gah! Wozzy typing, mistook the characters,

The problem will kick in once the opponent starts to mix up his headstomps and his other jump ins. (Most likely after one or two FA counter, he will swap to a jump in and cr.lp, and tick throws)

Anybody have tips for Gouken? I already checked out Haunts SuperGuide, but just looking for some more practical advice from people that have been trying to main him.

He's super fun, but I'm getting my ass kicked right now.

MIMIC

Banned
Razorwind said:
That would'nt be too good once Balrog starts recognizing your pattern and switch between low jabs and head butts, or he will just do the close range dash punches which armor breaks.

The other Bison. When I said "headstomp", I meant "headstomp" :)

ETA: I'm confused now

Ri'Orius

Alright, newb question: when I get knocked down, what are my options for getting up? There's the quick recovery thing; is that all I have?

Tonight I went up against an Akuma who kept Ultra and Supering me after knocking me down, and from what I understand I can't even block that stuff. So how do I avoid it?

PSGames

Hey Haunts good games man! I'm glad I could win atleast one of them :lol Do you have any tips for my Rufus or suggestions? Thanks.

Ri'Orius said:
Alright, newb question: when I get knocked down, what are my options for getting up? There's the quick recovery thing; is that all I have?

Tonight I went up against an Akuma who kept Ultra and Supering me after knocking me down, and from what I understand I can't even block that stuff. So how do I avoid it?

All you have to do is jump straight up to avoid an Akuma Ultra or Super.

PSGames

Ri'Orius said:
But if I'm on the ground, and he times it to hit right as I get up, do I have time to jump?

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can, don't quote me on it. You also have several wakeup moves that will knock him out of it and any ultra will beat Akuma's Ultra if I'm not mistaken so just time them to come out right when you're getting up.

Ri'Orius said:

you press up, you can easily jump over it. don't jump backwards...

EDIT: depending on who you use, ex-wake up attacks are pretty decent, ultras will of course counter it

Xevren

You have time to jump, they cant just make something like akuma's super/ultra guaranteed to land that easily. Even if it looks like he's already on you, you still have time to get out of the way, just hold up as you're getting up and you'll be fine.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
jam86 said:
EDIT: depending on who you use, ex-wake up attacks are pretty decent, ultras will of course counter it
That depends on the Ultra and the reversal I think. A Lariat will beat Balrog's ultra for instance, so I'm assuming a reversal lariat will beat it too.

dfyb

Banned
yes you have time to jump over akuma's ultra/super when you wake up. he literally pushes you as you get up and then you just jump over it. just hold up.

now if you're landing from a jump, you're fucked. so if akuma has meter, don't be jumpy.

dfyb

Banned
xabi said:
I think it depends on whether Abel uses punch or kick in the last grab and whether you block high or low, but can never remember which is which.

If you block the first hit though, the best way to get out of it is to punish before the second hit with a throw or special (as you did to me a couple of times tonight)

Good games.
you can use kick for the grab on CoD..? does it look/sound any different?

and yeah, GGs.

Xevren said:
You have time to jump, they cant just make something like akuma's super/ultra guaranteed to land that easily. Even if it looks like he's already on you, you still have time to get out of the way, just hold up as you're getting up and you'll be fine.

Actually there's no timing involved.

If Akuma does his ultra while you're on the ground, just hold up!

He'll never ever ever ever land it, doesn't matter how he sets it up, or nothing. If you're knocked down and he does his ultra, it's impossible for it to land as long as you hold up.

LuCkymoON

Banned
UC1 said:
in that video, the guy doesn't actually cancel the focus attack, he also starts the charge after the FA starts its attacking animation. The chun li player FADC into an ultra, are you saying its the same thing, because it sure as hell doesn't seem to work when I try. Unless you have to absorb a fireball before dash canceling into the ultra??

~edit~ I pulled it off, its just nearly impossible to do on the pad, probably a lot easier on a joystick.
for any Chun Li players that want to try, practice this a lot:
charge back, forward, forward, back, forward + kkk

CPS2

LuCkymoON said:
in that video, the guy doesn't actually cancel the focus attack, he also starts the charge after the FA starts its attacking animation. The chun li player FADC into an ultra, are you saying its the same thing, because it sure as hell doesn't seem to work when I try. Unless you have to absorb a fireball before dash canceling into the ultra??

~edit~ I pulled it off, its just nearly impossible to do on the pad, probably a lot easier on a joystick.
for any Chun Li players that want to try, practice this a lot:
charge back, forward, forward, back, forward + kkk

Ah whoops yeah I just guessed what he did. After checking the video, he would've charged during the FA then hit ff,b,f+kkk. Probably a bit easier than landing it after connecting the FA.

MIMIC

Banned
Blanka turns people into full blown TURTLES. I'm starting to fight more with Blanka and if you do enough short rolls/backstep rolls and those crazy jump forward/backward things he does, people will hide in the corner (except for the dumb Kens).

This is especially true with Abel. It was hilarious how the always aggressive Abel is scared to fight.

The one thing that I learned with Abel & Chun-Li: intentionally missed rolling attacks are punished SEVERELY by their Ultras. I had both of them on the ropes but didn't realize that their Ultra meters were completely full. I kept fucking with them and as soon as I missed, got destroyed by the Ultra.

ETA: And if you connect his Ultra, it's almost as retardedly damaging as Zangief :lol I just gotta hope that most people don't know how to correctly block it if he's right on top of you.

Top Bottom