• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
PhatSaqs said:
I have feeling Gouken will be broken shit in his game. I think I might main him :D

He's gonna be banned for tournies.

On top of that, people in SFIV from what I"ve heard have the option to ban characters from their games, so yeah, Gouken/Seth if they're broke will be banned. The only thing I'm afraid of with that is scrubs that ban non-broke characters, but then I'm pretty sure there will be a community standard.

NolbertoS

Getting pumped for this game...Street Fighter games bring me back to my HS days of challenging the master of the Street Fighter 2 games, which were pre-dominantly Asian in my part of town in Vancouver, BC. Can't wait to try to kick ass on XBL and remember all the combos again.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
ThatCrazyGuy said:
So I stopped by a Best Buy and 2 7-11's. No game or pads for me, haha. Interestedly, both 7'11's only had Madden and Fallout 3 basically, only 360. Very depressing.

Yeah same here, the only game they had was one copy of Fallout 3 ... *sigh*

Me: "Do you guys sell videogames here?"
Dude up front: "You mean like them DVD's n' stuff?"
Me: *nods*
Dude up front: "Yeah we got this one!" (shows copy of Fallout 3)"
Me: "Aight thats cool nevermind"

MY LIFE IS A GRAND ADVENTURE

Jube3 said:
sf4_dan_bezel.jpg

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Want so bad

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
HisshouBuraiKen said:
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Want so bad

Buttons randomly disconnect and stick is slow to react during a match for that authentic Dan experience. :lol

Jube3

Router said:
Buttons randomly disconnect and stick is slow to react during a match for that authentic Dan experience. :lol

Might not be too bad if you get the pain on real clean since the buttons are TE stock and you would just change the top but I dunno much about that stuff.. Everytime I paint it comes out terrible lol so Im not touching my stick with paint.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I love what you guys are doing with the art template!!!!

AWESOME!

Someone make me a Namco Tekken 6 one! :)

Ninja Scooter said:
isn't that technically what it is?

yeah, differing fighting styles in competition so yes, technically it is a MMA game. But the average fan probably wouldn't consider it due to fireballs and lack of ground game,clinches, referee etc... simpler terms, street fighter 4 and UFC undisputed 2009 will play nothing alike

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
arstal said:
He's gonna be banned for tournies.

On top of that, people in SFIV from what I"ve heard have the option to ban characters from their games, so yeah, Gouken/Seth if they're broke will be banned. The only thing I'm afraid of with that is scrubs that ban non-broke characters, but then I'm pretty sure there will be a community standard.

How do you figure they will be banned from tourneys? Capcom would really have to try hard to break Gouken/Seth even more so than Sagat for them to be banned from tournaments. :lol

Ninja Scooter said:

Did I miss GSP throwing fireballs? =O

If this is a MMA game, then cancel that UFC game right now because there's no need for it. :D

demigod

Ninja Scooter said:

There are rules in UFC and MMA events. You're not allowed to bite or throw fireballs either.

Edit : Damnit, did you ninja edit Kintaro?

Kintaro

demigod said:
There are rules in UFC and MMA events. You're not allowed to bite or throw fireballs either.

Edit : Damnit, did you ninja edit Kintaro?

Uh...no? *throws a smoke bomb and ninja jumps away!*

Those commercials should be more epic. I mean, first SF in 10 years? Pimp that shit out.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Kintaro said:
How do you figure they will be banned from tourneys? Capcom would really have to try hard to break Gouken/Seth even more so than Sagat for them to be banned from tournaments. :lol

Did I miss GSP throwing fireballs? =O

If this is a MMA game, then cancel that UFC game right now because there's no need for it. :D

Those two are already announced as banned for Final Round XII- which is the 2nd largest US tourney.

Unless the two chars are proven to be not broken, they'll be likely to stay banned.

From what I've read, while Sagat is the best character, he's not absurdly broke. He's no STHD Akuma. Probably closer to KOF98UM Krauser then STHD Akuma.

Seth is definitely broken. I don't know about Gouken. It seems a bit premature to ban him from FRXII. But it's their event. I wish I could be there this year.

Time for sleep. I'll be one day closer to death but one day closer to SF4. :D

Kintaro

arstal said:
Those two are already announced as banned for Final Round XII- which is the 2nd largest US tourney.

Unless the two chars are proven to be not broken, they'll be likely to stay banned.

It's not like I'll ever play in stuff like that, but it makes little sense to me to ban characters before they've been proven to be broke. But hey, whatever works for them.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
This is just theory fighter, but I can easily see Gouken being broken easily, unless he has some heavy weaknesses we don't know about.

We'll have to wait and see, but I expect both of those chars to end up banned.

Seth also has the freak SNK boss syndrome perception as well, which doesn't help his cause any.

As for banning before game is out, I'd rather have that, then have another HDR Akuma situation. I think HDR Akuma scared the community some.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
All this cross posting is driving me nuts! Glad you like it though :D

What Tekken character do you want?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
My friend came in town this weekend, which meant one thing. Mahvel. 4 and a half hours of it. :lol

We both suck but are of equal sucking level so it makes for some really exiting matches. Good times.

I was wondering how the stages work.

Is there a stage for each character, or just a stage per country? I really dislike the 'randomness' of the stages in (let's say) Capcom vs. SNK 2.

Damn! I'm kind of tempted to get a TE stick just for modding, but I already have a HRAP3. How is the modding capabilities of that one? I don't want to take it apart unless it's made to do so.

Edit: Stages are random, even though there are a couple that fairly obviously belong to a character.

C- Warrior said:
I was wondering how the stages work.

Is there a stage for each character, or just a stage per country? I really dislike the 'randomness' of the stages in (let's say) Capcom vs. SNK 2.

I think each character has their own stage in SF4.

It was basically impossible in CVS2 no? They're not going to make 48 stages, one for each character.

Raging Spaniard

akachan ningen said:
I think each character has their own stage in SF4.

It was basically impossible in CVS2 no? They're not going to make 48 stages, one for each character.

Ono was quoted early on saying they dont. Some obviously do (chun, guile, seth, sakura..) but as a whole the rule does not apply.

Im just going from the EGM interview though (I think it was back then)

Darkman M

arstal said:
This is just theory fighter, but I can easily see Gouken being broken easily, unless he has some heavy weaknesses we don't know about.

We'll have to wait and see, but I expect both of those chars to end up banned.

Seth also has the freak SNK boss syndrome perception as well, which doesn't help his cause any.

As for banning before game is out, I'd rather have that, then have another HDR Akuma situation. I think HDR Akuma scared the community some.

I strongly disagree with banning a character before people ever play with em. I hear seth has been nerfed for the console version and i haven't seen anything from Gouken that would make me see he's broken. Guess we'll find out soon enough though.

Aeris130

Yeah. In the last set of videos, I think I saw Sakura almost doing more dmg to Seth with a jumping mk than he did with his gief-piledriver. His damage is just so low, and he can barely take hits.

As for Gouken, I really can't see why people want him banned. He can combo into supers (and ultras?) from his throw, but I can't really see anything ban-worthy from him. With Seth, at least the initial "omg ban nao!!1!" reactions were justified, seeing as he seemingly had every chars best moves, and an unblockable ultra on top of that.

And knowing that Capcom has 14+ years of knowing that their customers are banning chars in their games, both in II and III, it just seems unlikely that they'd screw it up again. Especially since people have been clamoring for Guken for so long.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
The problem with that is, even if a character is clearly broken, the SRK scrub mob kicks in and will start whining "Play to Win" and "bans are for sissies" You gotta ban first to keep those guys from ruining the game. Then things become as bad as the South Park post-election show.

(note: not all on SRK are like this. Enough are though)

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Darkman M said:
I strongly disagree with banning a character before people ever play with em. I hear seth has been nerfed for the console version and i haven't seen anything from Gouken that would make me see he's broken. Guess we'll find out soon enough though.

Sounds ridiculous alright.

B3il

arstal said:
The problem with that is, even if a character is clearly broken, the SRK scrub mob kicks in and will start whining "Play to Win" and "bans are for sissies" You gotta ban first to keep those guys from ruining the game. Then things become as bad as the South Park post-election show.
I disagree, a lot. Banning characters should be an absolute emergency last resort, and even then it really takes a couple of months of global play for a game to be broken down enough for people to be able to confidently, accurately say, "this spoils the game."

The fundamental point of fighting games is to beat what the other guy is doing, to outsmart him and outguess him, to counter what he does or stop him being able to do it in the first place, it's not about just losing once and crying BAN. No no no.

The console characters are unknowns at this point, and even the arcade version, which has been out for six months or so now, still seems fairly balanced. There is a glut of Rufuses and Sagats, but they're not unbeatable, and it's still really early days. I remember when MvC2 first came out, and pretty much every week there was a new "broken" character/move/combo. People figured out ways round them, and moved on. I suspect the same will happen here.

Arde5643

The characters in SF4 so far have been pretty balanced - although some characters like Sagat and Ryu, especially Sagat, have too many strengths and some characters like Claw or Honda, especially Claw, have too many weaknesses or bad match-ups.

So far we haven't had anything as bad as SF3 where most of the cast were unusable in high-level play, although with the addition of the console-only roster, it remains to be seen how balanced the game truly is.

Top Bottom