• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

So I finally hopped online against the masses, and I got games much quicker by entering arcade mode and waiting. All of the games were pretty laggy, though. I've had some great matches with no noticeable lag against a friend who doesn't live too close, so I don't think it is on my end.

If anyone wants to play against a meh Chun (sometimes Sagat) add me: Prodystopian. East Coast and I usually play between 7 and 10pm ET. on weekdays. I play on weekends, too, but at odd times.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Archie said:
WTF is up with the influx of Blanka players? Did they read the new tier list or something? :p

Maybe because he's a pretty good anti-shoto character (and there are plenty of those about). I've always found him a nightmare to play against.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
ken thing is annoying now. at first i didnt mind but now

too many kens.

i thought itd ease up after a month but not really

Duke Togo

-COOLIO- said:
ken thing is annoying now. at first i didnt mind but now

too many kens.

i thought itd ease up after a month but not really
My thoughts exactly! I fully expected them to fall off after a couple of weeks. Sadly, they must be winning enough matches to keep them around.

CPS2

Cataferal said:
Speaking of which, when is this Championship patch due? Did Capcom specify exactly what would be in the update?

On the Japanese SF4 blog there was a recent update that the patch is almost done, and is being sent to MS and Sony for certification very soon. No release date yet, but it should be in the next few weeks.

There's a new ranking system, and also a replay mode.

rager

Banned
slayn said:
Well played. I have to admit those matches were interesting. I don't mean to be insulting but it seemed like you were a beginner in terms of execution. No combos, not punishing stuff you could, etc.

And yet, you were extremely unpredictable at times and had a sense of timing that was much, much higher than I expected. It was a style I've honestly never played against before and was pretty tough to think around.

Definitely well played. I mean hell, I used blanka and lost. Surprised the crap out of me.

Well, I come from a straight SF2 background, I have always been good at timing. I am not a combo heavy player, I am working on that. I was really just trying out characters that I dont know very well like Rose. Blanka is my main.

Cataferal said:
Maybe because he's a pretty good anti-shoto character (and there are plenty of those about). I've always found him a nightmare to play against.

It's like some kind of weird ecosystem where more Blankas have popped up to prey on the booming Shoto population. What are we gonna do about the Blanka boom?

"It's like some kind of weird ecosystem where more Blankas have popped up to prey on the booming Shoto population. What are we gonna do about the Blanka boom?"

Let's all switch to Balrog and Bison.

BitchTits

Charmicarmicat said:
Could anyone give me some tips for dealing with fireball spammers as Abel? Ill never be any more than a below-average player, but i do feel that i have enough skill to deal with the spammers as im sure once i get to them they have no backup plan :lol Obviously his forward roll goes through them, but i seem to mess it up a lot, so apart from practising that what other options do i have? Although i do it more as a fluke, its very fun to wheel kick over them :D
His Ultra goes through fireballs and shoto scrubs love to go to the back of the screen and fireball spam when the chips are down, when you see them doing this it's Ultra time! :D

Speaking of shoto scrubs, I had an accidental win tonight vs a Ken who was about to finish me off with a blocked dragon punch when I managed to pull out Gen's anti-air Ultra by mistake (hit kick instead of punch) and plucked Ken out of his just emerging dp for the KO :D

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Attack You said:
It's like some kind of weird ecosystem where more Blankas have popped up to prey on the booming Shoto population. What are we gonna do about the Blanka boom?
that is an awesome way to think about it :lol:

BitchTits

Duke Togo said:
Ken should be a joke character in SF5. I've lost count how many flowchart Kens I've slapped down. :lol
What the hell's so special about Ken any way? Is it his OMFGBBQ flaming dragon punch that makes people have a boner for him over Ryu?

Still get a lot of shoto players, always will, but I've found way more diversity this past couple of weeks, way less Akumas too - I think people have realised human opponents don't just stand there and let the Ultra/Super connect like the CPU does. I mainly stick to player matches though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Attack You said:

We could have Bison's front corporation buy up the jungle territory where Blanka lives and contract Dan to build a series of dojos that promote crappy skills for easy pickings by Akuma players.

Sakura could write a high school thesis about it. Poor girl needs our help, having been held back from graduating every year for the last decade.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Duke Togo said:
My thoughts exactly! I fully expected them to fall off after a couple of weeks. Sadly, they must be winning enough matches to keep them around.
It's people like me giving them wins. I dunna wanna but, :(

Charmicarmicat said:
Could anyone give me some tips for dealing with fireball spammers as Abel? Ill never be any more than a below-average player, but i do feel that i have enough skill to deal with the spammers as im sure once i get to them they have no backup plan :lol Obviously his forward roll goes through them, but i seem to mess it up a lot, so apart from practising that what other options do i have? Although i do it more as a fluke, its very fun to wheel kick over them :D

Keeping a good distance is the best way to discourage fireball spammers. The recovery time for a fireball is quite long. At the correct distance your options are the roll, wheel kick or simply jump and kick them. If you have a super or ultra then spammers should be toast.

Teknopathetic said:
Now I feel predictable, because I went on a killing spree with Dictator before bowing out of Ranked for the time being. I hate that it completely screwed up my average char. usage stats, with Dictator in the 90s and everyone else in the 50-60 range.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"It's like some kind of weird ecosystem where more Blankas have popped up to prey on the booming Shoto population. What are we gonna do about the Blanka boom?"

NO stay away from Boxer people!

I like being one of the few I ever see!:lol

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i wanna play this offline some -- i'm beginning to think i'm late on so many srk antiairs because of input lag. though trading is actually a good result for ryu. thing is my friends can barely manage wii sports, let alone sf4. maybe i'll hit the arcade tomorrow

Shinjitsu

Banned
drohne said:
i wanna play this offline some -- i'm beginning to think i'm late on so many srk antiairs because of input lag. though trading is actually a good result for ryu. thing is my friends can barely manage wii sports, let alone sf4. maybe i'll hit the arcade tomorrow

Highly recomend you do, I've got quite a few friends to come over and play, and I can tell you offline my execution is SO much better. I feel like Im really hit and miss online, but offline I feel like a beast because I can do what I want WHEN I want to do it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I haven't played SFIV online in a week or so because of other things, and now you guys are saying that Blankas are all over online now?

Nooooooooo - I was using Honda & Blanka long before they were the in-thing!

Shinjitsu

Banned
So I decided to go after the PS3 medals for survival, does anyone have a list of how many wins i need for gold medals for each level? This is just to easy with Zangief :lol

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
So is it safe to say for Gouken, his Parry Counter move is his best anti-air defense?

im new with him and i made a Ken quite today countering everything:lol

Shinjitsu

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
So is it safe to say for Gouken, his Parry Counter move is his best anti-air defense?

im new with him and i made a Ken quite today countering everything:lol

You do need to be careful with the counters, I tend to play VERY turtle with Gouken , so lot's of fireballs mixed in with the counter, I've screwed myself though with players that figure out what I'm doing and I just end up getting thrown over and over (I tend to play very drunk so I fall back on tactics I know). The number one thing I've found while playing Gouken: if you can anticipate what people are going to do with him, you win. If they see what your doing, your dead if they have skill.=/

I really love Gouken, and his counter is my favorite move by far, nothing better than a OH FUCK YOU now your half way across the screen for trying to attack me:D

And please god, if someone has found SOME kind of bread and butter combos with him PLEASE speak up!

Attack You said:

LOL so true, I just beat my 3rd or 4th Blanka in like 40 some-tries. I felt kind of happy until I saw the guy had 0 BP :lol . Man Blanka is a nightmare for my Ryu The normal ball is fast as hell, the upward ball takes out all my jump ins, then he has the cross up ball if I'm in mid range of him. And he still has the slide and his crouching uppercut has tremendous reach.

Basically the guy has to be a total scrub for me to beat him. Guys who are 2,000 BP and above normally handle me pretty easily Even guys around 500-1000 BP can always edge out a victory against me. So basically everytime somebody chooses Blanka gainst me my thoughts are "fuck, I'm toast"

jdub03

Shinjitsu said:
So I decided to go after the PS3 medals for survival, does anyone have a list of how many wins i need for gold medals for each level? This is just to easy with Zangief :lol

For normal i think most of them just double the number listed on the trial. Some are higher. For hard trials each one is 40 wins.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Ahh sweet, so I just figured out the survival trials do end automatically after a certain point.

Now I can get totally smashed and play threw them all with Gief without having to worry about doing the same trial all night!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Shinjitsu said:
You do need to be careful with the counters, I tend to play VERY turtle with Gouken , so lot's of fireballs mixed in with the counter, I've screwed myself though with players that figure out what I'm doing and I just end up getting thrown over and over (I tend to play very drunk so I fall back on tactics I know). The number one thing I've found while playing Gouken: if you can anticipate what people are going to do with him, you win. If they see what your doing, your dead if they have skill.=/

I really love Gouken, and his counter is my favorite move by far, nothing better than a OH FUCK YOU now your half way across the screen for trying to attack me:D

And please god, if someone has found SOME kind of bread and butter combos with him PLEASE speak up!
These combos are nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjCXlQV-Gmc

Sanjay

Teknopathetic said:

Yes please do so, because its Guile who really gives my Blanka the most problems, well its just the games are so long and drawn out. Guile is my best bet for the next, "why the hell is everyone picking Guile"

NYR

Shinjitsu said:
Ahh sweet, so I just figured out the survival trials do end automatically after a certain point.

Now I can get totally smashed and play threw them all with Gief without having to worry about doing the same trial all night!
Last lvl is the only hard one, IMO.

Thanks for the tips on Abel, still have a long way to go but I'll keep practising. I think my main problem is consistency, I saw one post with someone mentioning that the the inputs are a lot stricter in this game, and I think thats something I need to work on. Ive learnt to deal with Gief spammers at least which is quite a triumph for me as I'm normally useless at any sort of strategizing :D One question though, does Abel's ultra have priority over Gief's grab where he runs at you, and can that move be cancelled if they see me go for the ultra?

I played quite a bit tonight and really enjoyed myself, I thought at first I wasnt going to get into the game that much but I've turned around quite a bit. I lose a hell of a lot but I'm actually ok with it as long as it's a good opponent. My only worry is that people will think I'm a move-spammer mylsef as I use the roll into a grab, the wheel kick and the 3-hit special maybe a bit too much :lol

marwan

Banned
am i the only person that doesn't know how to play SF4 with a stick? is this normal? :( i just feel comfortable using a pad instead....so much for dropping the cash on a TE stick! ;(

edit: why is the music so rubbish in SF4? it's not as memorable as SF2. I just wish there was a way to play (remixed)SF2 music in SF4.

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
What's the deal with the dummy CPU sometimes blocking attacks in challenge trials? Like, I have trouble passing some very simple levels/moves (like Chun-li's rapid-kick thingy) because the CPU will block. Same thing happens with more complex combos in the trials--I'll get the first 2 or 3 parts in, and then they'll block the last move and it won't count. Frustrating. I can't beat Normal Trial Level 4 for anyone.

IMG_1566.jpg

he has a chance to redeem himself and figure me out... but he quits

IMG_1568.jpg

I was going to start a 100 Hand Slap for the win..... he quits

IMG_1569.jpg

oh Sagat, you have more tools of destruction at your disposal why oh why?

marwan said:
am i the only person that doesn't know how to play SF4 with a stick? is this normal? :( i just feel comfortable using a pad instead....so much for dropping the cash on a TE stick! ;(

edit: why is the music so rubbish in SF4? it's not as memorable as SF2. I just wish there was a way to play (remixed)SF2 music in SF4.

put it on your system, and play the other music. its as simple as that. it has custom soundtracks

Shadow780

BIG BUBBA said:
What's the deal with the dummy CPU sometimes blocking attacks in challenge trials? Like, I have trouble passing some very simple levels/moves (like Chun-li's rapid-kick thingy) because the CPU will block. Same thing happens with more complex combos in the trials--I'll get the first 2 or 3 parts in, and then they'll block the last move and it won't count. Frustrating. I can't beat Normal Trial Level 4 for anyone.

That means your timing is off, no combo was formed.

marwan said:

It's not just you, a lot of people including me are terrible with a stick compared to a gamepad. I actually bought a Hori FS3 just to see if it would change my mind. It didn't and basically became a waste of money. I bought a saturn pad now, if that doesn't work out then I'm just going to stick with the tried and true DS3 even though my left thumb won't be too happy with that.

Dreavus

BIG BUBBA said:

Yeah, if the CPU is blocking it means you were a touch too slow with the combo. If he's consistently blocking the last hit, you've got to try and get it out a bit faster.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
marwan said:

You'll get used to it. I was a die hard d-padder until I started maining Guile. His ultra is nuts on a dpad but I have no problems using him with the stick.

jdub03

Shinjitsu said:

Oh yeah, i totally forgot the normal trials end when you get the required wins. You might want to listen to a podcast or something while doing the hard trials. It's very tedious and boring. On a side note I'm two medals shy of having all the achievements in SFIV. I need the 30 perfects and 30 time out/judgment medals. SF is probably the only game where I'd do such useless things to get all the achievements. I'm nearing 160 hours of play time.

Dreavus

MIMIC said:
Finished Normal Time Attack. God damn my thumb is sore. SFIV break....engage!

Haha, I've still got 5 or 6 left in Normal Survival... My L1 finger gets tired after a while from all the lariats. :lol

Top Bottom