• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
haunts said:
man.. I cant imagine trying to do it on a pad dude..
I laugh every time I see that comment because I had to use my stock 360 pad for that challenge. I'm not so good with the stick yet. I'm getting better though.

Threi

notag
Archie said:
That is why Blanka is my main. I don't have to worry about any combos outside of a few crossups. He's probably the easiest character in the game to play competently. :p
Yeah I think that has happened to me as well. I have sort of gravitated towards charge characters more because a)It's harder to mess up inputs and b)They hide my noobiness of being able to execute moves consistently from only one side :lol

thank god i did switch though. How I overlooked the awesomeness of Bison for 10+ years is astounding.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i've never had much of a side preference in fighting games, maybe a slight preference for the 1p side, but since playing sf4 online and mainly joining lobbies i'm now more comfortable on the 2p side :/

i really wish they would randomize 1p and 2p

MNC

MNC117 on PSN for easy Viper and El Fuerte match ups :lol Hell, my sis beats me half the time. BP at 0 because I'm scared of ranked matches. Still enjoy the game :D

Arde5643

MNC said:
MNC117 on PSN for easy Viper and El Fuerte match ups :lol Hell, my sis beats me half the time. BP at 0 because I'm scared of ranked matches. Still enjoy the game :D
Haha, yeah - maining Viper and Fuerte for new players will net you middling BPs for a while. :lol

Threi

notag
drohne said:
i've never had much of a side preference in fighting games, maybe a slight preference for the 1p side, but since playing sf4 online and mainly joining lobbies i'm now more comfortable on the 2p side :/

i really wish they would randomize 1p and 2p
most people online completely fall apart when you stick them on the right side and they desperately try to get back to the other side. I find that interesting because during a match you swap sides pretty often :lol

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Threi said:
most people online completely fall apart when you stick them on the right side and they desperately try to get back to the other side. I find that interesting because during a match you swap sides pretty often :lol
I rememeber back in the days of street fighter 2, whenever I knocked my best friend over to the right side, he would completely freeze up and basically do nothing but repeatidly jump towards me in nothing but an attempt to get over to the left side so that he could start fighting again.

MIMIC

Banned
Finished Dhalsim's Normal & Hard trials :D I FINALLY figured out the "secret" (or trick) to pulling off the MK > yoga flame. Someone advised people to use df, back+LP to do the yoga flame (and it works). I noticed that when you push back+LP, you have to kinda HOLD back and not just tap it. Works like a charm now :)

MrOctober said:
What do you mean block in his direction?

Yeah...I didn't understand any of that either.

(the post, by FindMyFarms: So here's a mind blown moment for me. I NEVER knew this until today. If you block relative to your opponent, then you'll block everything.

I was playing a dhalsim and he was abusing me with his lp yoga fire -> tiger knee teleport -> jumping back fierce punch, back s. mk, yoga flame. I'd fall for it everytime, then some onlooker was like, dude, block in his direction and the yoga fire won't hit you. It made the match 12039812x easier!!!

Is this a general street fighter rule?
)

slayn

what he meant was (I believe) that say dhalsim does yoga fire and then teleports behind you before the fire hits.

Now you have sim in front of you, and a fireball coming at you from behind. To block the fireball, you press away from sim (towards the fireball) and that will block both sim's attacks and the fireball.

I have no idea if that's true, but that is how I read his comment. The point being that it is impossible to hit someone from both sides at the same time in such a way as to make it unblockable.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Threi said:
Man i practiced SRK > FADC > Ultra with Ryu for a LONG time in training mode yesterday...I couldn't pull it off successfully once. I can do the first two parts, but my fingers just get completely tied when it gets to inputting the ultra and the opponent just falls to the ground.

Its supposed to be easier on a stick right?

I can do it sometimes. My problem is that I hold mp+mk and press forward forward then let go of mp+mk and it doesn't cancel into dash half the time unless i do it MINDBLOWINGLY FUCKING FAST. It seems to work better if I press forward forward at the exact same time as the FA and don't hold down mp+mk. Sometimes I think it works when I press them at the exact same time and only hit forward once.

slayn

Apologies to anyone I invited but couldn't get on. I blast on invites so I can start playing against someone asap. I'm too impatient!

Threi said:
Man i practiced SRK > FADC > Ultra with Ryu for a LONG time in training mode yesterday...I couldn't pull it off successfully once. I can do the first two parts, but my fingers just get completely tied when it gets to inputting the ultra and the opponent just falls to the ground.

Its supposed to be easier on a stick right?

I've practiced this constantly and I still don't have it down. I'm using a Dual Shock 3 and can nail the first 2 parts about 80% of the time now. But almost every time I go for the Ultra I end up doing a EX Shoryuken. I'm not confident enough to do this in online matches so I've avoided it. I do have a USB Saturn pad on the way, I hope that'll fix my problems or at least improve my current situation.

Zapages

great matches Slaynn and had a lot of fun. :) Your blanka is still unbeatable...

I am going to keep on practicing with Abel, Ryu, and Rufus, and Balrog(didn't use it)...

Forgive me for the basic question, but arcade heads, when talking about directions,

is it

or

?

Where each number is one of the 8 directions (except 5 of course)

MIMIC said:
Finished Dhalsim's Normal & Hard trials :D I FINALLY figured out the "secret" (or trick) to pulling off the MK > yoga flame. Someone advised people to use df, back+LP to do the yoga flame (and it works). I noticed that when you push back+LP, you have to kinda HOLD back and not just tap it. Works like a charm now :)

Yeah...I didn't understand any of that either.

(the post, by FindMyFarms: So here's a mind blown moment for me. I NEVER knew this until today. If you block relative to your opponent, then you'll block everything.

I was playing a dhalsim and he was abusing me with his lp yoga fire -> tiger knee teleport -> jumping back fierce punch, back s. mk, yoga flame. I'd fall for it everytime, then some onlooker was like, dude, block in his direction and the yoga fire won't hit you. It made the match 12039812x easier!!!

Is this a general street fighter rule?
)

You know how dhalsim can throw a fireball at you, then teleport behind you? Well in that situation :

Dhalsim on your left, his fireball on your right.

If you hold right, you'll block the fireball.

Mileena

Banned
Killa Sasa said:
Forgive me for the basic question, but arcade heads, when talking about directions,

is it

or

?

789 | ub u uf
456 | b n f
123 | db d df

Dartastic said:
Finishing a ranked match with Ryu's Shoryuken > FADC > Ultra on a NORMAL 360 DPAD is SO satisfying. :lol :D

NORMAL 360 dpad, ABNORMAL skillz. Props man, the one time I used the 360 pad the only I thing I could execute consistently was getting perfected.

MIMIC

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
You know how dhalsim can throw a fireball at you, then teleport behind you? Well in that situation :

Dhalsim on your left, his fireball on your right.

If you hold right, you'll block the fireball.

OK. I see what you mean now.

For anyone on XBL.. I ran into a guy named "N DRU"

He has a pretty good Chun but man.. his Dhalsim is SICK.

Just a fyi on him. He's really good. Could beat him a few times.. I beat his Chun every time. With Fuerte that is.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
TurtleSnatcher said:
For anyone on XBL.. I ran into a guy named "N DRU"

He has a pretty good Chun but man.. his Dhalsim is SICK.

Just a fyi on him. He's really good. Could beat him a few times.. I beat his Chun every time. With Fuerte that is.
I remember playing him in VF5 before. Turtle Kage IIRC.

KevinCow

Banned
This game is a lot more fun now that I've done a bit of research and actually get how to play and how to string combos and whatnot together. I'm still not all that good, but I'm getting better faster than when I was fiddling around on my own.

Killa Sasa said:

is it

or

?

I've always hated this practice. It's just confusing and requires a bit of thought to translate. It makes far more sense to me to just use u, d, f, b (up, down, back, forward), and double them up for diagonals (uf, df, ub, db).

haunts said:
OK I uploaded all 5 of the matches between Young Legends and myself..

http://www.youtube.com/user/iplaywinner

On the next episode of Dragon Ball-Z...

Will Freeza's super death ball projectile overwhelm our hero's...will the pressure from his kara knees buckle his opponent...

Will Goku manage to find the 666 ways to execute FADC his kamehameha wave?

Do you have "modes"? Like this is what I'll do when I'm far away...and this is my gameplan when I get up close (like I'll keep pressuring him with my knee, throw out pokes, FADC...throw, etc)?

Are you going to enter the Evo tournament...with the rest of your crew?

It's not that hard. Look at your numpad....

Besides, the numbers thing is something you see more commonly in the Guilty Gear scene. Same goes for MB and most other doujin (or former-doujin) fighters.

Won

Sorry again MicVlaD for leaving after one game, but without heavy kick and medium punch buttons it was kinda pointless. :lol
Is there really no menu to change the button config as soon you go online?

So yeah, I'm trying the RSF on Fuerte's hard trial 5 now and damn, no way I will ever be able to pull this off in a real match. Screwed around with the buttons to make it a bit easier, but that didn't help at all. :lol
But it looks like that I figured out the rhythm, so I hope I can do it at least in the trial.

ultim8p00

Banned
Is Akuma even worth anything out of the hands of a pro? He takes so much damage, and raging demon would be useless if it wasn't for the massive damage. Every single Akuma player I have played relies on Raging Demon, which is so stupidly easy to punish.

Anyways, anyone up for a few games? GT: D3vinchi

Zapages

ultim8p00 said:
Is Akuma even worth anything out of the hands of a pro? He takes so much damage, and raging demon would be useless if it wasn't for the massive damage. Every single Akuma player I have played relies on Raging Demon, which is so stupidly easy to punish.

So true... Raging demon = jump... Jump kick or light kick in your face Akuma players...:lol

TimeKillr

ultim8p00 said:

There are VERY few guaranteed setups for Raging Demons. The only one I have seen work is using it as a far anti-air. (Compare that to, say, Rufus, which I started playing this week. In a few hours I could consistently do THREE guaranteed Ultra setups, one of which is so ridiculously easy to do that I land it 99% of the time).

Of course, 99% of the Akuma population can't pull it quick enough to be an anti-air, so... I've had it super cancelled on me by some guy on XBL - I was seriously impressed with his execution, but... jump up. Oooh, that hurts that you super cancelled into your raging demon from a blocked fireball and I STILL managed to jump out of it. It seriously is the single worst Super/Ultra in the game. Hell, it's worse than Honda's Ultra, which is, for all intents and purposes, a complete joke.

I haven't played Gutter_Trash's Honda, but I'm quite certain even he knows how crap that Ultra is. Is there even a way to link it?

Ploid 3.0

Archie said:
That is why Blanka is my main. I don't have to worry about any combos outside of a few crossups. He's probably the easiest character in the game to play competently. :p

Yea blanka is the best character for me to play on controller too. I'll never get a arcade stick for this, and the next step for me is the saturn pad. I'll try to go back to Abel after the pad. All of the practice, and matches I put into blanka in SSFIIt HDR made blanka more comfortable for me in this game.

vertopci

TimeKillr said:
There are VERY few guaranteed setups for Raging Demons. The only one I have seen work is using it as a far anti-air. (Compare that to, say, Rufus, which I started playing this week. In a few hours I could consistently do THREE guaranteed Ultra setups, one of which is so ridiculously easy to do that I land it 99% of the time).

Of course, 99% of the Akuma population can't pull it quick enough to be an anti-air, so... I've had it super cancelled on me by some guy on XBL - I was seriously impressed with his execution, but... jump up. Oooh, that hurts that you super cancelled into your raging demon from a blocked fireball and I STILL managed to jump out of it. It seriously is the single worst Super/Ultra in the game. Hell, it's worse than Honda's Ultra, which is, for all intents and purposes, a complete joke.

I haven't played Gutter_Trash's Honda, but I'm quite certain even he knows how crap that Ultra is. Is there even a way to link it?

You haven't seen Vega's Ultra have you? :lol

MIMIC

Banned
Finished Chun-Li's Normal & Hard Trials. So far, her's are the most complicated; they want you to do SO much. I wouldn't say that they're the most "difficult", though. Her last trial took me a while, however. I kept messing up 2 things: 1) a successful FA and 2) timing her Ultra

Won

GG MicVlaD. I even won a match! Progress! But wow, I know my Ultra execution sucks and I still don't know how to land it on Dhalsim, but today I didn't even get EX leg throws out of it. :lol
Probably too much time wasted on the trials + bit too tired. :p

Note to myself: More EX-runs, idiot!

ultim8p00 said:

His toolset is awesome and you don't need to be a pro to use it. Raging Demon is not that bad. At least I don't think it is much worse than Fuerte's ultra and that is already pretty awesome.

so whats the consensus now that this shit has been out for a bit?

i'm pretty much sticking with my "street fighter EX 4" synopsis: it's nowhere CLOSE to the 2d legacy street fighters, but it's a damn good EX game imo.

the jumping timing, the ultra move balance (too easy to rack up and over-used) and the wacked-out characters are what ruin it for me. and some of the levels are just down-right fucking dumb (volcano level, anyone?)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Barkley's Justice said:

i'm pretty much sticking with my "street fighter EX 4" synopsis: it's nowhere CLOSE to the 2d legacy street fighters, but it's a damn good EX game imo.

the jumping timing, the ultra move balance (too easy to rack up and over-used) and the wacked-out characters are what ruin it for me. and some of the levels are just down-right fucking dumb (volcano level, anyone?)
Fucking awesome game. Go troll with TTOB elsewhere.

I've hit 3300 BP and the competition is starting to get pretty good. Although I played a Honda with similar BP and beat him pretty badly. I felt bad for him. :(

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Going 2 and out in two tourneys in a day is not fun. So "not fun" that I'm contemplating switching from Boxer to some other character.

Ploid 3.0

Barkley's Justice said:

Ultra meter fill up very fast, and I see myself abusing it too much.

TimeKillr

vertopci said:
You haven't seen Vega's Ultra have you? :lol

Yeah... okay. :) Vega's ultra isn't quite there either.. I guess you can land it on a dizzy? :)

Won said:
His toolset is awesome and you don't need to be a pro to use it. Raging Demon is not that bad. At least I don't think it is much worse than Fuerte's ultra and that is already pretty awesome.

The problem is the Raging Demon is that

1- It's VERY to see coming from a MILE away (except in the hands of very good players)
2- It's VERY easy to avoid. Probably the easiest Ultra to avoid in SF4, imo.

Fuerte's Ultra is awesome, but you need to know the exact range it has for it to be useful. I suck with Fuerte, mind you, but after a Tortilla Buster you're in perfect range, so if you time it well you pretty much always hit (unless the people I was playing are absolutely stupid and just can't evade at all). It's also pretty good as anti-air, if you can time it.

TimeKillr said:
Yeah... okay. :) Vega's ultra isn't quite there either.. I guess you can land it on a dizzy? :)

The problem is the Raging Demon is that

1- It's VERY to see coming from a MILE away (except in the hands of very good players)
2- It's VERY easy to avoid. Probably the easiest Ultra to avoid in SF4, imo.

Fuerte's Ultra is awesome, but you need to know the exact range it has for it to be useful. I suck with Fuerte, mind you, but after a Tortilla Buster you're in perfect range, so if you time it well you pretty much always hit (unless the people I was playing are absolutely stupid and just can't evade at all). It's also pretty good as anti-air, if you can time it.

Akuma has a decently quick FA. Once you get your ultra his FA becomes a pretty good pressure tool IMO. Not to mention FA get up shenanigans is a pretty easy way to land his ultra.

Might not be the best, but definitely not the worst. Amazing damage plus being an excellent punisher forces your opponents to start playing REALLY safe.

Top Bottom