• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So I've found 2 more ways with Ryu to combo into ultra that I never hear people talking about.
Jump in with a deep mp while the opponent is standing, you'll know you did it right if both hits connect. If you didn't do it right you'll only connect with one of the hits. It should look like your elbow is hitting the top of the opponents head. Upon landing you can ultra.

do a jab dragon punch right as you see your opponent start to get up, it should hit them at the very end of the dragon punches active frames. If you do it right you'll hit them and have time to ultra before you land.

What the fuck is the point of Ryu's EX dragon punch? It is complete shit. Somehow it actually does LESS damage than a normal dragon punch. The only real use for it I can find is the odd situation where you need the to hit an opponent that is a little bit outside the horizontal range of the normal dragon punch. God damn, it really really sucks. Prove me wrong, pimpstachio.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Timedog said:
What the fuck is the point of Ryu's EX dragon punch? It is complete shit. Somehow it actually does LESS damage than a normal dragon punch. The only real use for it I can find is the odd situation where you need the to hit an opponent that is a little bit outside the horizontal range of the normal dragon punch. God damn, it really really sucks. Prove me wrong, pimpstachio.

invincibility on startup. good for antiair when you're a bit late and you don't want to trade, can cleanly beat lots of ultras/supers/specials when timed correctly

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Timedog said:
So I've found 2 more ways with Ryu to combo into ultra that I never hear people talking about.
Jump in with a deep mp while the opponent is standing, you'll know you did it right if both hits connect. If you didn't do it right you'll only connect with one of the hits. It should look like your elbow is hitting the top of the opponents head. Upon landing you can ultra.

do a jab dragon punch right as you see your opponent start to get up, it should hit them at the very end of the dragon punches active frames. If you do it right you'll hit them and have time to ultra before you land.

I could be mistaken, but doesn't the ex dragon punch break armor while the others don't?

Also, I believe you can ultra after ex dragon punch without FADC

~Devil Trigger~ said:
FightPad died

Red light blinking on both Pad and USB thinggy

How long does it take Madcatz to replace?
A while.

I sent MadCatz my defective TE stick March 18th, they received it the 24th and still haven't repaired it because they haven't received the replacement parts yet.

It's under warranty, so I asked why the hell they won't just send me a new one and they basically responded that they're sold out; they don't have any new ones to send me in it's place.

Worst experience ever and I will never buy another one of their products.

C Jones

_dementia said:
You're supposed to combo into the Ultra.

When timed right it can be done after a Fierce Thunder Knuckle when the opponent jumps in. Also after Ex Thunder Knuckle and FA crumples (obviously) and after a Burning Kick lands on an opponent in the corner. These are the easiest ways to ensure the Ultra lands just time it right.
Another relatively easy way is after a close EX Seismo (body has to be around Viper's eye level when you do the Ultra). Also if you hit an EX Seismo xx Super Jump Cancel xx Burning Kick you can hit the Ultra if the Burning Kick hits over the top of the opponent (the burning body of the opponent should be under Viper's legs right after it hits), but that isn't so easy ha. You can also jump in with a roundhouse kick into ultra. She can super jump cancel regulars (i think cr. mp works) into it too.

Lot of options to combo in her ultra, some obviously more difficult than others though!

Stantron

I had some really good ranked matches last night, back up to 2100BP. I always use custom search, and found that if I change the language priority to English, then the search process is quicker and I get more bars for connectivity. Hardly any red bars, though I still have not played anyone with full green bars.

I've started to incorporate Focus Attacks a lot more into my repertoire, and it's really upped my game. FADC forward through fireball spams, FADC bait opponents on wake up, FA Claw/Dic when they do their air attacks. It's awesome.

Question for Chun players: Why is it that I can combo this: jp.HK, st.HP, HP kikokken, Super. But I can't substitute an Ultra in for the Super?

Stantron said:
I had some really good ranked matches last night, back up to 2100BP. I always use custom search, and found that if I change the language priority to English, then the search process is quicker and I get more bars for connectivity. Hardly any red bars, though I still have not played anyone with full green bars.

I've started to incorporate Focus Attacks a lot more into my repertoire, and it's really upped my game. FADC forward through fireball spams, FADC bait opponents on wake up, FA Claw/Dic when they do their air attacks. It's awesome.

Question for Chun players: Why is it that I can combo this: jp.HK, st.HP, HP kikokken, Super. But I can't substitute an Ultra in for the Super?

I believe start up for the Super is much less than the Ultra for all characters.

Stantron said:

Not just chun, you just can't combo directly into ultras in this game. You always have to be in a neutral frame in order to execute the ultra, hence the need for most characters to land the ultra in a juggle.

FindMyFarms said:
Not just chun, you just can't combo directly into ultras in this game. You always have to be in a neutral frame in order to execute the ultra, hence the need for most characters to land the ultra in a juggle.

Aren't there a few characters that can combo into ultra without juggling? I thought I heard Viper could, and I thought Ryu could as well.

Zabka

prodystopian said:
Aren't there a few characters that can combo into ultra without juggling? I thought I heard Viper could, and I thought Ryu could as well.
I believe Ryu can do an EX fireball -> Ultra to an enemy in the corner.

prodystopian said:

Well when I said combo I should have said cancel. That is you can't go from the active frames of one move into your ultra. So for some characters (like Ryu and Sagat) you can perform your ultra after a deep jump in attack. This is because when you land, you'll be in neutral frames and your opponent will be in their hit frame. They're ultra then connects while they're still in hit frames, thus comboing.

The viper combo you might be thinking of involves her thunder knuckle (TK) feint. If you perform her tk, then immediately press PPP she'll stop the TK and go back to her neutral frames. So you can actually perform a crouching FP, tk feint into neutral frame, and then ultra. She has a couple other tricks like this too such as her super jump cancel.

Edit : Aside from the jump-in and crumple, I don't think Ryu can hit confirm into his ultra without juggling. The ex fireball and ex tatsumaki in the corner actually both make the enemy air born and thus juggled. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Any tips on how to beat Seth's j.FP with balrog? I managed to trade/beat it a couple of times with headbutts and j.RH, but I didn't quite get it every time. Is it timing based? like, if I hit it late I beat it every time or something? CO_Andy had me screaming at the wall with that shit ;_;

FindMyFarms said:
Well when I said combo I should have said cancel. That is you can't go from the active frames of one move into your ultra. So for some characters (like Ryu and Sagat) you can perform your ultra after a deep jump in attack. This is because when you land, you'll be in neutral frames and your opponent will be in their hit frame. They're ultra then connects while they're still in hit frames, thus comboing.

The viper combo you might be thinking of involves her thunder knuckle (TK) feint. If you perform her tk, then immediately press PPP she'll stop the TK and go back to her neutral frames. So you can actually perform a crouching FP, tk feint into neutral frame, and then ultra. She has a couple other tricks like this too such as her super jump cancel.

Edit : Aside from the jump-in and crumple, I don't think Ryu can hit confirm into his ultra without juggling. The ex fireball and ex tatsumaki in the corner actually both make the enemy air born and thus juggled. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I understand the Viper thing, now. I was thinking of Ryu's Super. So then no one can hit confirm into Ultra in this game?

UC1 said:
Dan can cancel into ultra as well :]

Edit: So he is the only one that can do it, right?

prodystopian said:
I understand the Viper thing, now. I was thinking of Ryu's Super. So then no one can hit confirm into Ultra in this game?

Edit: So he is the only one that can do it, right?

Yeah, I completely forgot about Dan lol. He is the only character in the game that can actually cancel into his ultra. If you perform his super taunt super, you can perform his ultra at any point in the super. Since you can cancel into supers, you can do something like st.fp xx fp gadoken xx super taunt xx ultra

You're cancelling from the Gadoken, to his taunt, then immediately cancelling into his ultra so that you hit them right after the fireball. I remember finding out about this because it's actually one of his trials.

FindMyFarms said:
Yeah, I completely forgot about Dan lol. He is the only character in the game that can actually cancel into his ultra.

That is an interesting decision for balance. Not so much that he can, but that no one else can.

prodystopian said:
That is an interesting decision for balance. Not so much that he can, but that no one else can.

Yeah, unfortunately it's not even a benefit lol. Whereas Ryu can FADC off a shoryuken into his ultra for 2 ex bars, Dan needs his whole super bar to land hit confirm into his ultra.

thelastword

Banned
WOW, some of the guys on the PSN deny you your wins time and time again. Quitting and sending you messages like "lol". There are times when I get the message "Disconnected from the Playstation Network" of course I'll still be signed in. So the question is, do some of these guys take the switch out from the back of their PS3's or perhaps yank out the cable to prevent a loss? How has Capcom sat on this problem for so long, it's ridiculous.

I love SF4, not because I'm super good. Like anybody else, I happen to beat the odd person or two online, but there's no doubt I'm below scrub level with my 32% win ratio. I would never quit on a player though, which I believe defeats the whole purpose of competitive online play, it should be about fun and fair play, not cheating to maintain some stupid stats. I'm more interested in getting better as it is. Anyways, I hope the patch comes soon and that's dealt with.

My PSN is tlword, feel free to add me. I'd also appreciate it if someone would send me an invite to SF4 Chatroom. I'm having no luck getting any matches under "quick match" in ranked or player matches. Yeah, I'm NAT3 and I've done everything under the sun, so naturally it returns me the "no sessions found" message, but I can create matches and receive matches via arcade, so let's get some streetfighter4 buddies on there, let me see who I can connect to.

Threi

notag
~Devil Trigger~ said:
FightPad died

Red light blinking on both Pad and USB thinggy

How long does it take Madcatz to replace?
mine died after 20 mins of use and it took about a month to replace.

FindMyFarms said:
Yeah, unfortunately it's not even a benefit lol. Whereas Ryu can FADC off a shoryuken into his ultra for 2 ex bars, Dan needs his whole super bar to land hit confirm into his ultra.

In terms of bars, you have a point, but I just meant that no one can hit confirm into Ultra. With the Ultra doing so much damage, it would really make Ultras broken. In 3S, any good Chun would be looking for that low forward (I think it was forward) to connect to hit the Super, but at least it wasn't 50% or more like an Ultra.

bardia

So i got the sega usb saturn controller yesterday and holy shit the dpad on this thing is absolutely horrible. I have no problem doing one qcf but when i have to do two for the ultras i CANNOT for the life of me pull it off :( Are there any mods or anything for the controller to fix this? if not i'd rather go back to using analog sticks on the DS3.

prodystopian said:
In terms of bars, you have a point, but I just meant that no one can hit confirm into Ultra. With the Ultra doing so much damage, it would really make Ultras broken. In 3S, any good Chun would be looking for that low forward (I think it was forward) to connect to hit the Super, but at least it wasn't 50% or more like an Ultra.

Well the thing is a lot of characters can actually hit confirm into their ultras, dan is just the only one that can cancel into his ultra. One of Ryu's advantages is he can pretty much land his ultra off anything. I don't know if you remember when we played, but when I used Ryu, I'd use a lot of cross up mk into 2x cr.lp. That was actually me hit confirming to get my fp shoryuken off which, when I had ultra, I could FADC out of and land the ultra.

Some characters, such as Rufus, don't even need ex bar when hit confirming into ultra. He has a target combo (lk -> fk) which friggin JUGGLES his opponent lol and he can easily ultra into it. Of course, none of these are as easy as 3s Chun or Ken's cr.mk, but you see where I'm getting at.

The reasons ultras get a lot of flack is because some characters (such as Ryu, Rufus) can seemingly get their ultra to land with almost no effort, while others such as Guile or Vega (whose ultras don't even do that much damage relatively) have almost no reliable way to land them.

FindMyFarms said:
Well the thing is a lot of characters can actually hit confirm into their ultras, dan is just the only one that can cancel into his ultra. One of Ryu's advantages is he can pretty much land his ultra off anything. I don't know if you remember when we played, but when I used Ryu, I'd use a lot of cross up mk into 2x cr.lp. That was actually me hit confirming to get my fp shoryuken off which, when I had ultra, I could FADC out of and land the ultra.

Some characters, such as Rufus, don't even need ex bar when hit confirming into ultra. He has a target combo (lk -> fk) which friggin JUGGLES his opponent lol and he can easily ultra into it. Of course, none of these are as easy as 3s Chun or Ken's cr.mk, but you see where I'm getting at.

The reasons ultras get a lot of flack is because some characters (such as Ryu, Rufus) can seemingly get their ultra to land with almost no effort, while others such as Guile or Vega (whose ultras don't even do that much damage relatively) have almost no reliable way to land them.

Good points. I meant canceling because most of the hit confirming requires some pretty good execution before landing the Ultra. I didn't realize it was so easy with Rufus.

And I definitely remember getting beat up by those cross ups.:lol You are one of the people that got me to realize I need to start using the lk cross ups instead of that d/f+RH that I got into the bad habit of using too much.

LowParry

Some awesome players on today. Ran into a really good Ryu player. Was hitting me with his SRK (FADC) Ultra every time. Good games. I'm not sure if I'll ever reach that level of play. But it sure is damn fun to play.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
bardia said:
So i got the sega usb saturn controller yesterday and holy shit the dpad on this thing is absolutely horrible. I have no problem doing one qcf but when i have to do two for the ultras i CANNOT for the life of me pull it off :( Are there any mods or anything for the controller to fix this? if not i'd rather go back to using analog sticks on the DS3.
Are you sure there isn't something wrong with your controller? I haven't heard anyone talk mess about it and I'm practically flailing blindly without mine...

KevinCow

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
It's ridiculous how many ways Rufus has to hit confirm his Ultra.

Target Combo
Far hk
Jumping hk (can even go jumping jk -> EX Snake Strike -> Ultra in the corner)
Fragrance Palm (forward + hp) in corner
Galactic tornado in corner
Messiah kick -> lk -> FADC -> Ultra (can stick a low snake strike in after the FADC if you're in the corner)

There's probably even one or two more. But it's just nuts. When I started playing Honda, I was annoyed because I didn't have half a dozen ways to hit confirm an Ultra. :lol

CcrooK said:
Some awesome players on today. Ran into a really good Ryu player. Was hitting me with his SRK (FADC) Ultra every time. Good games. I'm not sure if I'll ever reach that level of play. But it sure is damn fun to play.
I can do this about 40% of the time.. probably never in a real game.. but my problem is the stupid ultra fireball only hits like once and skims the other player =[

I fail.

Threi

notag
I did it a couple times in training more after attempting (and completing) one of Abel's hard trials.

It felt so good :D

too bad i can barely every pull it off, what pisses me off is that everyone makes it look SO easy.

LowParry

Not to mention a lot of set ups going on with crouching low punch x 3. It's kinda annoying but I can understand why people use it. I only use it with Balrog and Bison but...guess I better start tossing it in my other characters.

KevinCow said:

Target Combo
Far hk
Messiah kick -> lk -> FADC -> Ultra (can stick a low snake strike in after the FADC if you're in the corner)

There's probably even one or two more. But it's just nuts. When I started playing Honda, I was annoyed because I didn't have half a dozen ways to hit confirm an Ultra. :lol
I can only get it on his Target Combo in training mode.. the target combos in real games always never combo for me :(

Jumping HK I can get.. I have been able to do the FADC in training on the Messiah Kick but only rarely... maybe 10% of the time.. and never in a real game.

BitchTits

KevinCow said:

Target Combo
Far hk

Yeah, haven't used it in a game, but I was messing around in trials and in the corner did far HK -> Fragrance Palm -> Ultra. This also works for his Super, but I couldn't pull that off all the time since they have to be the right height.

CO_Andy

Brobzoid said:
Any tips on how to beat Seth's j.FP with balrog? I managed to trade/beat it a couple of times with headbutts and j.RH, but I didn't quite get it every time. Is it timing based? like, if I hit it late I beat it every time or something? CO_Andy had me screaming at the wall with that shit ;_;
Just block :D Of course i'll hit you after coming down from a headbutt with j.FP.

Rog's put down tactics after a wake up are utterly frustrating. Almost had you one match, but i kept doing a freakin teleport instead of my ultra.

Chorazin said:
Usually, anything that is in the controller set up options in considered A-OK. People will call you on it to try and throw you off your game, but it if's in game it's generally legal. The only time something like that is bad is if you had a pad/controller with Macro functions not supported in game. If you do that, you might get your ass beat IRL depending on how serious the players are.

Gotcha thanks. I kind of do rely on my KKK assignment since I'm kind of a sloppy player. Hitting all three is a lot less reliable than just hitting one button...thanks!

Arde5643

MobiusPigeon said:
what's the best way to beat a good boxer with ryu? and why's cammy have that bored ass look on her face? :lol
Rog doesn't have a really good wake-up option even if he has EX meter.

Headbutt starts out really slow and TAP is bad to do at close range.
Basically try to knock down Rog - and then harrass him with cr.LP, cr.LK, cr.MK. Or a meaty j.MK.

If you think Rog is going to try to do headbutt, it will fly over harmlessly if you just block low after whatever meaty attack you do and you can punish him for free there.
If he tries to do TAP, you'll have enough time to block, and because it's done close range, you can punish with a throw or do shoryuken -> FADC cancel if he tries to tech the throw.

If he tries to do his armored dashes, your regular jabs will hit him out of it before he has time to do the dash punch.

However, if you decide to cross him up, he can do any of the following:
1) EX headbutt, he gets away from you harmlessly
2) TAP, this will avoid the cross-up and hit you as you land

Basically, only do cross-ups when you're sure Boxer starts trying to block or dash back on wake-up instead of doing headbutt or TAP.

Ledsen

So I played MicVlad and his Dhalsim (and Dan!) today and got beaten up pretty badly as expected. Unfortunately his xbox red-ringed after only a couple of matches... but he brought out his older box and the fight went on! Resulting in me getting my ass kicked a few more times :lol

Good games man, I picked up on some tactics that will surely be useful when I improve my execution and learn that freaking instant air teleport :)

toneroni

Ledsen said:
So I played MicVlad and his Dhalsim (and Dan!) today and got beaten up pretty badly as expected. Unfortunately his xbox red-ringed after only a couple of matches... but he brought out his older box and the fight went on! Resulting in me getting my ass kicked a few more times :lol
HAH now thats dedication! :lol

Won

Ledsen said:
So I played MicVlad and his Dhalsim (and Dan!) today and got beaten up pretty badly as expected. Unfortunately his xbox red-ringed after only a couple of matches...

YES!

Ledsen said:
but he brought out his older box and the fight went on!l

NO!

Something different:

I got a hate message for my Seth today. Can't play him at all, but his ultra sure pisses people off. Too bad it does no real damage. :lol
I also played around with Fei Long a bit today.....till his ultra completely failed to punish Cammy's ultra on block....wtf? How useless is that thing?

TurtleSnatcher said:
I can only get it on his Target Combo in training mode.. the target combos in real games always never combo for me :(

Jumping HK I can get.. I have been able to do the FADC in training on the Messiah Kick but only rarely... maybe 10% of the time.. and never in a real game.

Moxy...probably got all of them on me the other day. It was ridiculous...
I hate ultras...

Arde5643

Augemitbutter said:
i enjoy playing fei long, but his ultra is utter garbage. no priority and hard to land. i wonder why they didnt fix this.
It's Fei Long - Capcom hates Fei Long since the first time they introduced him in SSF2. :lol

Cowie

all they need to do is make fei long's ultra also land on the third hit of his combo, instead of just the second and fourth hits, which would allow for juggles, since for some fucking reason the first hit likes to launch. But I can't play fei long until they give me that =(

Arde5643 said:
It's Fei Long - Capcom hates Fei Long since the first time they introduced him in SSF2. :lol

He was Born to live...bred to die

Complexity Gaming presents SFIV Bar Fights (a look at Sunday's event). Has interviews with Gootecks, Dae, Combofiend and Ed Ma:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz_VdHwf2WU

It was a great idea. Hopefully, the stream can work next time (though Ryan "claims" the stream was working until the main event. I never once got the stream to work).

Devastation and Evo are the next big events (besides Bar Fights).

AN ANNOYING SF4 TECHNIQUE...........

I don't know why this guy is complaining. My whole goal in a match is to MAKE my opponent turtle, then rush them down to oblivion. If someone decides to do that for me? Just makes it easier :p

Spiderjericho said:
Born to live...bred to die

Complexity Gaming presents SFIV Bar Fights (a look at Sunday's event). Skip to 7th minute to see interviews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz_VdHwf2WU

Cool that it was held in a bar/grill...but it seems like a weird place to hold that amount of players...

That's really cool, but wtf is up with none of those people drinking lol? They did a quick pan and I saw like 200 people just standing around with no drinks in their hand. It's a bar!! Drinking and playing Street Fighter go hand in hand.

Top Bottom