• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
_dementia said:
okay, i chuckled
Well, I can't call them scrotums, because they beat me.

McBradders said:
I want to play your Sakura.
Anytime. Well, not any time, but. You know what I mean. Kojikun on XBL Koji-chan on PSN.

catfish said:
if you are holding down and back when ken jumps at you, you're going to eat toejams aaaalll day. ;) Its first block high, then low.
Well, fuck. See, this is the shit I need to be knowing.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
RevenantKioku said:

Anytime. Well, not any time, but. You know what I mean. Kojikun on XBL Koji-chan on PSN.

Yo,sent u a friends invite earlier today! illegalwiretap.

RevenantKioku said:

Available to play? I accepted yours last night so we can go over some of your stuff if we need too.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
TurtleSnatcher said:
Available to play? I accepted yours last night so we can go over some of your stuff if we need too.
Yeah, have some time right now, actually.

KevinCow

Banned
Are online matches really hard to find for anyone else? It pops up three, I try to connect to one, it says I can't, either because it's full (so why the hell did it pop this one up?) or it gives no reason. Then it says it's searching again, but usually pops up the same three again. Then after I've tried all three, it's a matter of pressing X over and over until it pops up a new one, and trying that one... which usually says I can't connect and the cycle just starts all over, until one finally lets me in for some reason.

RevenantKioku said:
Yeah, it took me a bit to figure that out too. Of course, actually remembering to do it in the match is another thing. Especially when playing as Honda, since he's a charge character and I like to keep down and back held down as much as possible.

And on another Ken note, why the hell does fire Shoryuken hit me when I'm blocking low? It pisses me off to no end. It's not a damn overhead attack!

Dreavus

KevinCow said:
Are online matches really hard to find for anyone else? It pops up three, I try to connect to one, it says I can't, either because it's full (so why the hell did it pop this one up?) or it gives no reason. Then it says it's searching again, but usually pops up the same three again. Then after I've tried all three, it's a matter of pressing X over and over until it pops up a new one, and trying that one... which usually says I can't connect and the cycle just starts all over, until one finally lets me in for some reason.

Yeah, it took me a bit to figure that out too. Of course, actually remembering to do it in the match is another thing. Especially when playing as Honda, since he's a charge character and I like to keep down and back held down as much as possible.

And on another Ken note, why the hell does fire Shoryuken hit me when I'm blocking low? It pisses me off to no end. It's not a damn overhead attack!

Yeah I've found joining games to be a bit of a nightmare too. It feels like every time I search it comes up with 3 games where I can't see the connection bars and they're almost always full when I try to join.

Now I usually just put that "challenger" thing on so that when I play arcade it lets people join. Using this, a lot of the time opponents will join before the arcade match even starts.

RevenantKioku

These jump kicks are still landing on me. Good lord, this is infuriating!

RevenantKioku said:

Uggh no wonder my cheap friends always get me with that jump in + sweep even though I was blocking the whole time. Block HIGH first, gotcha!

I have yet to fully complete all 5 hard trials on one character..

I came close with Bison.. got to the last one but its impossible.. This game is so retarded because these combos are retardedly hard to do.

TurtleSnatcher said:

I came close with Bison.. got to the last one but its impossible.. This game is so retarded because these combos are retardedly hard to do.

Dan's are probably the easiest. I don't remember there even being any links.

off topic - Has an official BlazBlue thread been made?

MIMIC

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:

Wait until you get to Ken :lol I've completed the Normal & Hard for 7 characters so far. The most I've spent on a single trial was a few hours.

Ken's Hard Trial #5: I'm on day 3 :-/

I cant even do Kens 1st hard trial..

:(

I can't even do Dan's 2nd Hard Trial..

I can never fucking get his super taunt out.. Instead I get his retarded normal Punch Super even though I hit HK + HP ... Argh.

FindMyFarms -

I'm bringing my 360 over.. you are unlocking all of these for me.. Or else I will murder you and the puppy that you grew up with.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I cant even do Kens 1st hard trial..

:(

I can't even do Dan's 2nd Hard Trial..

I can never fucking get his super taunt out.. Instead I get his retarded normal Punch Super even though I hit HK + HP ... Argh.

FindMyFarms -

I'm bringing my 360 over.. you are unlocking all of these for me.. Or else I will murder you and the puppy that you grew up with.

You're using a pad right? Can't you just assign hp + hk to one button or something?

FindMyFarms said:
You're using a pad right? Can't you just assign hp + hk to one button or something?
yea I use the fight pad on shoto characters or anything with a d,df,f motion and then stick on charge..

Damn square gate.

Findmyfarms...I tried hollering at you on PSN. I just got my butt whipped by Slayn...badly...

So far...I'm batting 70 percent against GAF (Mox, Gutter and Slayn). I'm hoping maybe tomorrow or later tonight if you have the time...you can spar with my Ryu so I can pick up a few things or two (or just to get some advice).

And...after struggling with two online sessions so far...I have reached 2000 BP. BP is so deceptive... I've beaten 4000 and 3000 BPers...but handily lost to 0s...

Spiderjericho said:
Findmyfarms...I tried hollering at you on PSN. I just got my butt whipped by Slayn...badly...

So far...I'm batting 70 percent against GAF (Mox, Gutter and Slayn). I'm hoping maybe tomorrow or later tonight if you have the time...you can spar with my Ryu so I can pick up a few things or two (or just to get some advice).

And...after struggling with two online sessions so far...I have reached 2000 BP. BP is so deceptive... I've beaten 4000 and 3000 BPers...but handily lost to 0s...

Hey, I actually don't have a ps3 on me right now, so I don't know if sparring will be available. I'll def. let you know when I got one again though.

TurtleSnatcher said:
yea I use the fight pad on shoto characters or anything with a d,df,f motion and then stick on charge..

Damn square gate.

Yeah, when you first get used to the square gate qcf's are a pain. But after you adjust you'll start doing them with such little movement that you won't even be hitting the gate.

Xevren

FindMyFarms said:
Hey, I actually don't have a ps3 on me right now, so I don't know if sparring will be available. I'll def. let you know when I got one again though.

Yeah, when you first get used to the square gate qcf's are a pain. But after you adjust you'll start doing them with such little movement that you won't even be hitting the gate.

I prefer the easy way out and using an octagon gate. :D

Xevren said:

I've never actually used an octagon, only square and circle. I like square though because I can feel out a straight line between my diagonals when holding charges.

FindMyFarms said:

Are you on XBL? I can play on that. krp1976

I've been apprehensive whenever I play Blanka...with the EX Ball...his electricty and cross up back forward kick ball. But I hate him even more after playing Slayn (ggs). The guy can crossup with his normal ball...and all of that hopping around...just perplexed me.

I'm surprised N3ss didn't jump on the Blanka wagon... He had a good Blanka in HD Remix...but went to the Shosh side...

Xevren

FindMyFarms said:
I've never actually used an octagon, only square and circle. I like square though because I can feel out a straight line between my diagonals when holding charges.

I really really tried to get used to a square but I had a bitch of a time with all diagonals. I was just too used to octagon gates from all the arcades around here so once I installed one my game improved vastly.

Xevren said:

They suck for charge characters. Too much throw involved. When I initially got my HRAP3 and HRAP EX...I swapped the square for octo and added the bat top. At first, I was like...this is way easier to do qcf and supers...but I noticed my Vega in HD Remix started to have issues doing his offensive back flip. And it was a nightmare getting Guile's flash kick.

I haven't touched a Japanese stick in awhile...but it's probably better to use the square...especially since...if you go to a tournament or arcade...that's what they'll probably be using unless you byos.

KevinCow

Banned
Holy shit. I played the most ridiculous Bison earlier tonight. I could hardly get a hit in. He was just flying around the screen, pretty much perfectly countering everything I did. It felt like he could read everything I did before I did it, and I just couldn't figure out what to do about the damn head stomp for the life of me. Honda's butt stomp did nothing against it - even my EX version seemed to get hit by his regular headstomp. And I was too slow to avoid it. Blocking it just led him to jump away and do it again.

Just... damn. I didn't win a single round, much less a match.

RevenantKioku

slayn said:
Is there anyone that wants on psn gafchat that hasn't been able to get an invite?
speak now.
Yes. Had it but deleted it as I had no idea how they worked. Koji-chan.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
FindMyFarms said:
AN ANNOYING SF4 TECHNIQUE...........

I don't know why this guy is complaining. My whole goal in a match is to MAKE my opponent turtle, then rush them down to oblivion. If someone decides to do that for me? Just makes it easier :p
He's mainly complaining because it's a stupid tactic, (as in why would anyone do this, cause it doesn't work that well) not because it gives him trouble.

KevinCow

Banned
kenroster2.jpg

:lol

GGs Qistoptier. I never played a Seth before...so I never knew the combo possibilities. He can quickly deplete your energy with a hit. His corner shennigans are crazy.

I appreciate you and Slayn whooping my butt. I see I have a lot to learn. I'm trying to stay grounded more and learn how to control with pokes and fireballs.

There are still a couple of things I have issues with...mainly cross ups (especially with Blanka) and focus attacks. FA...I usually get absorbed one hit and get bounced.

Won

KevinCow said:

But Blanka is more popular than Akuma........and so is Boxer....even Dictator is....ah whatever...there are barely any Kens to begin with for me on ranked. Funny Ken pic not funny anymore!

Won said:
But Blanka is more popular than Akuma........and so is Boxer....even Dictator is....ah whatever...there are barely any Kens to begin with for me on ranked. Funny Ken pic not funny anymore!

Yeah no way. Akuma is really popular, and Dictator isn't popular at all.

Augemitbutter said:
i enjoy playing fei long, but his ultra is utter garbage. no priority and hard to land. i wonder why they didnt fix this.

Hit confirm with jumping roundhouse. Easy as pie. That said, he still needs some tweaking to make him a more viable character.

RevenantKioku

Around for some fights if anyone is down. Kojikun on XBL Koji-chan on PSN. On XBL at the moment.

Manabanana said:
Hit confirm with jumping roundhouse. Easy as pie. That said, he still needs some tweaking to make him a more viable character.

easier said than done. jumping in is often a good way to eat an ultra yourself =(

Manabanana said:

Rufus can get his ultra off a jumping roundhouse also, and a lot of other ways. I'd say a lot of the character balance stems from who can get their ultras off the most. Ryu, Zangeif, Rufus, Balrog and Sagat are all high tier: and they all have ultras that are easy to get off. Its causation vs correlation, but i'd say Sagats insane juggle into Ultra is one of the main reasons hes he best character in the game. Rufus as well, alongside EX Messiah Kick (the best special in the game!)

So I might be borrowing SF4 360 to play on my roommates system for a few days. Don't really know any of the GAFers on the 360 side, who would be interested in getting a few games off so I can start sending friend requests?

RevenantKioku

Good lord, yes. I wish I could play more GAF folk but most days no one responds.

FindMyFarms said:
So I might be borrowing SF4 360 to play on my roommates system for a few days. Don't really know any of the GAFers on the 360 side, who would be interested in getting a few games off so I can start sending friend requests?
Yes me.. Then while your at it.. Ill give you my hard drive and you fucking beat all the hard trials for me.. !

EDIT:

So tonight I decided.. "Eff my Battle Points.. " and played some Ranked with Gen who is not my best and most definetly not ready for my mainstream yet... I actually passed 3000 points. I'm really proud of myself! (I was at 2950 before so its like 1 whole win brought me past it)

Then I went on a horrible losing streak to some of the biggest scrubbiest tactics ever.. Some guy kept turtling and waiting for me to jump in so he could shoryuken.. he fireballed to keep me at bay.. it was annoying as heck. There were other crappy tactics too... but amazingly I just got off and my BP is still 2810 or something.. so I didn't lose tons. I mixed in some Fuerte as well on some characters that Gen has issues with like Zangief.. Though I actually used my Gen against a Gief and beasted him better then with Fuerte :p

I'm having a blast using Gen but I need to learn some advance technicques.. Its hard to cross up sometimes when I can't even knock the guy down and also I'm having horrible issues getting in to attack a shoto who is fireball spamming and shoryukening nonstop..

FindMyFarms said:
Man turtle what a bum! Too lazy to drive to locals, and too lazy to do your own trials! What am I gonna do with you SMH
Not too lazy.. Capcom made this game frustrating and retarded.. Its impossible to do these w/o any extra input that they do not even provide.

I wasn't lazy on the locals.. I just had to get into the office early for a few conf calls this morn. Next week should be better.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Not too lazy.. Capcom made this game frustrating and retarded.. Its impossible to do these w/o any extra input that they do not even provide.

I wasn't lazy on the locals.. I just had to get into the office early for a few conf calls this morn. Next week should be better.

Well at least you aren't lazy with the excuses :p

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
RevenantKioku said:
Good lord, yes. I wish I could play more GAF folk but most days no one responds.

Dude, this weekend, me and you, it's on. I desperately want to see your Sakura.

I would be on more but work is kinda crazy right now, finishing one game while trying to design the next is taking it out of me. I'm amazed I'm even concious when I get home at night :(

EDIT: Friends request sent from Twin Twi5t

sagat2036 said:
yeah that video is a bit to good... good thing she takes a bit to get all the timing down. Hope i dont see a lot more viper mirror matches haha. iam not that good but i only play viper and i hate mirror matches.

anotheriori got any advice for viper v. balrog/vega? I dont know if its just my inexp with vega but people ive gotten 10+ wins against switch to vega and i win 1 out of 6. Balrogs gives me problems as well.. seems everything they do is safe.

/shrug any help?
I haven't played many vegas but at poke range / far range he will probably win out so you need to keep the pressure on, don't bother with focus attacks as if the vega player uses him correctly you won't be able to punish those. The only move he really has to get you off of him is the ex flip kick but he'll probably often use the backflip to evade your pressure. Walk and wait to throw or continue pressure after he finishes his animation. Vega has low life so this match is somewhat even when it comes to life, viper does more damage so you'll need to rush him and land a few combos. To close the distance you can probably use the burning kick or light thunder knuckle. You can also stop his wall jump mixup/throws with a well time jump straight up heavy kick.

Balrog is a tough match up too because his rush playstyle and high damage/life make it hard for viper. Light thunder knuckle should cancel out all of his rush punches (as it focus breaks) if you do it a a slight distance, when he is pressuring you you'll have to try and tech his throws or look for an opportunity to use heavy thunder knuckle to get him off of you. When presssured and blocking low, watchout for his ex overhead rush punch or tick throw games. When he whiffs a headbutt you can punish with down heavy punch into (biggest combo you can do) or medium thunder knuckle or ex seismo. Lastly, Balrog's down heavy kick will out range viper so in that instance you can do ex seismo or medium/heavy burning kick.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
oh man, played last night and dude RACED his icon to ken. I play ryu and most ken battles are retardedly easy due to just block the dragonpunch and punish.

this guy just held down block the entire game and anytime I walked close he did that pokey kick with ken.

Never seen him played like that and I just lost my whole game, pretty much I don't think I got off a non blocked hit on him at all! should have got back and just throw fireballs I guess, but I think I tried that and he would respond in kind.

I was really at a loss for options, couldn't get close to him due to the pokey kick and if I tried for throws, well he was ducking anyway... I really felt like I had no options against the guy :lol

Top Bottom