• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Caj814 said:
All Combo Trials complete!

Was able to finally finish up that last Gen combo(damn that last kick timing).All I have left in Challenge mode is Hard Survival which I probably won't do unless I'm REALLY bored.:lol

You're right, it is boring as hell, but man, the completionist in me begs you to do it after finishing the combo Trials man...

I knocked them all out within the first week, and if you can beat Hard Trials too, you can definitely beat Hard Survival...

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
NYR said:
I think Sat. Morning and Afternoon is a real bad time to play - I won 13 in a row today, and I am think I am a less then above average (win % - 69% after 400+ matches).

I think it is mostly kiddys catching up after a long week of school, but I was pretty surprised, a lot of spamming and a LOT of Kens - not that I care, Sagat whoops them hard.

Well, I ran into a pretty annoying Guile at 4pm ET today. Ended up resorting to tick throws and confusion games.

Caj814

MIMIC said:
Is it me, or do the kids under the overpass scream Guile's name after the match is over? :lol

Sounds like a kid who got his ball stolen saying "MY BALL,MY BALL. . .MY. . . BALL!":lol

Also they cheer regardless of who wins from what I noticed.

SapientWolf said:
I just noticed that the people in the drive-in background react to the fight. If you do an ultra finisher the guy falls off the car. :lol
Most of the levels are like that. Any hard fall will cause things to fall. My favourite is the bike dude on chun-li's level can be knocked down and gets pissed. The wing of the plane on the landing strip level can be broken too. It's nice. Certainly better than the random statue or barrel that can be smashed in SF2.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
singularity said:
Most of the levels are like that. Any hard fall will cause things to fall. My favourite is the bike dude on chun-li's level can be knocked down and gets pissed. The wing of the plane on the landing strip level can be broken too. It's nice. Certainly better than the random statue or barrel that can be smashed in SF2.

actually what levels do have interactivity?

there is the barrels that fall off the shelves in the brewery, I noticed in that one (maybe c vipers level?)

the arena, people from the audience fall into the ring.

You can break a wall in the one that is inside some building there's a wooden wall on the left...

didn't notice anything on blankas level, there's animals around but they don"t do much.

Threi

notag
FindMyFarms said:
I wish they put more effort into SF4's backgrounds. The only ones that are any good is the one with random people jumping out of the plane, and the one with the fat kid dancing.
The fat kid in that stage is awesome :lol

Dartastic

I've found something really peculiar... When I set my rounds to 3, I wind up doing a lot better against a lot of the players I fight. I've just taken down two 3000+ players, and I'm at around 1500. Hrm.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Dartastic said:
I've found something really peculiar... When I set my rounds to 3, I wind up doing a lot better against a lot of the players I fight. I've just taken down two 3000+ players, and I'm at around 1500. Hrm.

Maybe by the third some people have you figured out completely.

Dartastic

Relix said:
Maybe by the third some people have you figured out completely.

I think that might be it. I stand a better chance when I have more time to figure them out. Hrm. Whatever; I still need more practice against better players, and I need to work on zoning and my combos.

Arde5643

Threi

notag
how did a claw with 1000-odd bp get matched with a dude with over 9000?

all things said that claw held his own real well. :lol

Threi said:
how did a claw with 900-odd bp get matched with a dude with over 9000?

all things said that claw held his own real well. :lol

Watch his other videos...he beasts with EVERY character...I'm only okay with one character...he beasted with Guile, Chunners, Rufus, Abel, Ken, Ryu, Akuma...

And what are Xbots using to setup matches? I'd like to start playing on Live.

Won

KevinCow

Banned
WTF. I was playing against a Dhalsim, and he did his Ultra right as I went to do an Ochio throw. I totally expected to eat it and lose the match. But I somehow went through it, grabbed him, and wound up winning. That was awesome. He must have been just as surprised as I was. :lol

qcf x2

That Ken combo isn't that hard to do in a non lag affected environment. Now if he did the low jab-->low feirce first, I'd be wowed. Must be tough finding good comp in Africa, though. :-(

WTF. I was playing against a Dhalsim, and he did his Ultra right as I went to do an Ochio throw. I totally expected to eat it and lose the match. But I somehow went through it, grabbed him, and wound up winning. That was awesome. He must have been just as surprised as I was.

That's the nature of command throws, Zangief has that ability as well. For real laughs you should try doing Honda's butt smash against a low-blocking Rose who has Ultra
don't

qcf x2 said:
That Ken combo isn't that hard to do in a non lag affected environment. Now if he did the low jab-->low feirce first, I'd be wowed. Must be tough finding good comp in Africa, though. :-(

Poongko plays in Korea...

And he's past low jab, low fierce. If you watch the vids, he does some pretty sick combos like linking several EX uppercuts with Boxer...or setting up four-hit air fireball combos with Akuma...and just the fact he uses FADC to link sick combos...

I'm surprised Arcadia hasn't gotten a Poongko vs. Daigo match setup.

So guess there's no Keystone stream, as Jared or Haunts usually post by now...

Was perusing Haunt's site and saw this:

So you saw the news about the SFIV US National Tournament finals coming up on April 18th?

There's a little line in there about an "exhibition featuring Japanese and Korean champs." It's just one item on a list of fun things happening, but for any serious fan of Street Fighter, this will really be an epic showcase of international superstars.

They're competing for an all-expenses paid trip from anywhere in the world to the EVO World Finals in Las Vegas, July 17-19th, but who are these guys? Just the Japanese National champion, the Korean National champion, and perhaps the most legendary Street Fighter of all time.

--Chung-gon Lee (better known as "Poongko"), Korean champ, known for his fast, high-stakes style of play. Poongko takes a lot of chances and makes them pay off

--Tatsunori Kajimoto (aka "Iyo Dhalsim"). Iyo won the Japanese Nationals by playing a witheringly solid Dhalsim. Although he can ramp up the aggression as the match requires, he systematically shuts down all of your options and wins by staying two moves ahead of you while you're stuck struggling to find a way through his maze of limbs.

--And last, but certainly not least, this event will also feature perhaps the most legendary Street Fighter player of all time: Daigo "the Beast" Umehara. Daigo is best known for... wrecking fools. Daigo doesn't just beat you, he makes you look like you have no idea what you're doing. This man leaves scars, people.

The US finalists include the winning-est overall US players, LA's Mike Ross and NYC's Justin Wong, as well as a strong field of other tournament veterans (and a few "Cinderellas") as well.

Whoever makes it through the field of 16 to emerge the champion will have their work cut out for them, but it will be an epic showcase not to be missed!

Holy ish...that's epic

Can't wait to hear about all of the news next week with Captivate and the announcement of the announcement...

Spiderjericho said:
Poongko video...him looking for online opponents

The guy is sick...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wye4-aVxqQ&feature=channel

He does a variation of the trial 5 combo to win the first round:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmjg_uPLBco&feature=channel

And a sick Akuma:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmjg_uPLBco&feature=channel

I had no idea there were some players at this level online...

You have to keep in mind that this guy is a pro and he's playing guys online. Granted, he's better than all of us combined, but that skill gap against random onliners makes him look WAY better than he really is. Put him in against Daigo, Iyo, Gootecks, etc. and gauranteed he doesn't look like that at all. No FADC combos outside of the BnB's, no risky links, etc.

I'll try to find the vid of his Korean nationals match. He still plays really offensive, but his game looks completely different. One thing I LOVE about Poonko though is his use of Ryu's FA. Having been playing Ryu lately, it's very refreshing to have a FA attack that's useful (I main Rog, so.. yeah lol.)

edit : Holy crap green bar connection!

Also had to pop in that Poongko is a highly renowned KOF player. He says his risky high offensive pace is due to his kof background, and the type of play associated with that series.

Here's the nationals video I was talking about :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QtkrX8qRSw&feature=related

The other player, Laugh, is actually a frequent poster on SRK. By Laugh's own admission, he plays a very conservative, calculated style. The match shows a great contrast between the two.

Don't know Find...Poontang is the national Korean champion...and I'm sure the competition there is pretty fierce...

They have some of the best Tekken players...so I'm sure the Korean competition in SF is pretty keen too...

But we'll find out how good he is...as he will be here next week...

Gootecks will be at the National Tournament.

Iyo will be at the National Tournament.

J. Wong will be at the National Tournament.

Mike Ross will be at the National Tournament.

Daigo will be at the National Tournament.

GGs to Dartastic. I'd suggest looking up the combo videos on SRK (There's a decent one for Ryu). And I can't speak for the Live SF Community...but on PSN, they're all willing to whoop your ass free of charge. Speaking of which...Find...we need another session...

Trust me, by no means am I arguing that Poongko is one of the best in the world. I was just saying that when he plays people of similar skill (as evidenced in the national tourney match I just posted), his game looks nowhere near as godlike as it did against random online peeps.

Anytime you get a pro vs a scrub like us, it's gonna turn into some And1 SF style combo video shit.

Edit : I'd love to play online, but everytime I tried to have a match today, the lag on my side was just ttterrriibble. Imma try again tomorrow or later tonight to see if I have better luck.

I feel you, Texan.

The matchmaking on XBL stinks. It takes forever to find custom matches. Whereas PSN returns matches within seconds...

I'm trying to order the new Triumvir SF Shirts...hotness...what a geek...

Also, the fightpad is not a ergonomic or responsive as the USB Saturn (yeah, I said it...)

balrog_wht1.jpg

sucks that the SFA3 style Claw shirt is sold out

one of my favorite VG-related shirts is Meatbun's fight night
http://meatbun.us/catalog/images/fn_blood1.jpg

I don't want to get beat up so I only wear it inside :lol

JEKKI

_dementia said:

I always wonder why ppl are so insecure about wearing geek related clothing... especially when it's so obscure that nobody would even notice unless they thought real hard about it.

I have that shirt, yellow one btw, I wear that shyt all the time and nobody has ever beaten me up

_dementia said:
balrog_wht1.jpg

sucks that the SFA3 style Claw shirt is sold out

I'd wear that shirt outside. I'm gonna wear my homemade shoopuf shirt everywhere even da club when it's done.

I ordered my Dhalsim shirt just now. Can't wait to see if they release anymore designs this month.
Dhalsim-WHT.jpg

Got the Ryu, Ken, Guile and Shadoloo version 2 shirts. Man, I tried my hardest to get the original line...but could never get them when they became available. Glad, I was able to hop onto this one.

Played on Live for the first time tonight. Got up to 1700 BP w Ryu. I have to say...the competition is lacking until 1500. I was easily able to get the 10 wins in a row achievement. I'm still having issues with matchups that aren't Ryu/Ken/Akuma...since that's all anyone picks.

I also noticed that I have a tendency to throw out specials right before people get up instead of hit confirming (which would've been easy in the old days). I kept getting hit by ultras.

Find, I'll be on in the early afternoon, Pacific...so if you're able to do another mentoring session, I'd appreciate it (though I'm sure there will be traffic in the GAF chat room).

I'm so addicted to this game.

I'm still away from home. I'll be home tomorrow night. If I'm not too tired and my opponent is on, I'll get my match in. Looks like Mox needs to do his too.

GalacticAE said:
I'm still away from home. I'll be home tomorrow night. If I'm not too tired and my opponent is on, I'll get my match in. Looks like Mox needs to do his too.

Actually mox beat gutter.

Shoopuf_FFX.jpg

Is that your drawing?

OH ya hop on aim dude.

ultim8p00

Banned
Spiderjericho said:
I feel you, Texan.

The matchmaking on XBL stinks. It takes forever to find custom matches. Whereas PSN returns matches within seconds...

I'm trying to order the new Triumvir SF Shirts...hotness...what a geek...

Also, the fightpad is not a ergonomic or responsive as the USB Saturn (yeah, I said it...)

Just set your game request to Player Match or Ranked and go play in Arcade mode. You will get challenged like every other second

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Holy shit at Grifter.

It went 3-12 at the end :lol Been a long time since I got my ass kicked like that. Initially I wasn't in the mood to fight but after the perfect that kinda turned me on and got into a "serious" mindset.

Also, I have a valid excuse =P. My controller's analog stick is screwed in the SE and SW sides so that makes it hard to charge =/. I need a new controller... or better yet buy a stick. I couldn't pull off that kick whose name I forgot that can go over fireballs and punish you. Was really needed at some points. Oh and in one of the last matches I tried to keep pulling the ultra but she only did a stupid kick and got hit by the hadoken like 4 times. That was my stick :lol

Anyway man, great games. Will be nice to fight you later on, I really need to fight some of the stronger guys.

GGs.

Top Bottom