• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

jon bones said:
Seriously. YOU GUYS AREN'T TOURNY PLAYERS. I mean shit, you don't even own the game yet.

I'm glad the tier lists keep changing, so nubs will keep switching up their main until they get bored of the game and revisit Halo 3. Meanwhile, I will be rocking faces. All day.
Instead of berating him, maybe try answering his question? Telling me that I dont play competitvely doesnt help at all. Maybe he has an interest in getting better? GAF sometimes...

Blueblur1

Raging Spaniard said:
Okay so this is SUPER EARLY, matter of fact this isn't even the drawing Ill use for the contest, I just wanted to get the design down. Colored in like 10 mins, so yeah

This is what I'm thinking about for Sakura, don't worry about the style nor the anatomy too much since that'll change. Originally I thought leaving the hoodie white like her schoolgirl outfit but I figured she would benefit from some color, but most of her color scheme remains similar and although the clothes are new , the shapes reminisce her old design some.

Any sort of hate is useful at this point :)

sakura_redesign_01.jpg
Please don't be offended by my criticisms. Its early work so I understand why the anatomy and face look off. I'm not a fan of the yellow hoodie nor the design of the pants. IMO I would draw the zipper straight down the middle of the hoodie. As for the pants, they're too similar to Alpha Chun-Li's design (which is a bad thing if you weren't going for that). I guess you're trying to nail a battle hardened Sakura design but I think the ripped pants plus six bandages is a bit of an exaggeration. And the shows are yellow, too... Too much yellow for my tastes.

Once again, I'm a fan of your work. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll churn out something impressive.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Blueblur1 said:
Please don't be offended by my criticisms. Its early work so I understand why the anatomy and face look off. I'm not a fan of the yellow hoodie nor the design of the pants. IMO I would draw the zipper straight down the middle of the hoodie. As for the pants, they're too similar to Alpha Chun-Li's design (which is a bad thing if you weren't going for that). I guess you're trying to nail a battle hardened Sakura design but I think the ripped pants plus six bandages is a bit of an exaggeration. And the shows are yellow, too... Too much yellow for my tastes.

Once again, I'm a fan of your work. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll churn out something impressive.

Its cool man, thanks for the advice! With the zipper I made it go to the side to resemble a gi, but I guess it looks too Chinese now, as far as the pants being ripped I thought it would make a good connection to show her training+track pants making her more relatable as a person ... but yeah I hadn't thought of the Chun Li similarity, so Ill think of something.

Thanks again!

Blueblur1

Raging Spaniard said:
Its cool man, thanks for the advice! With the zipper I made it go to the side to resemble a gi, but I guess it looks too Chinese now, as far as the pants being ripped I thought it would make a good connection to show her training+track pants making her more relatable as a person ... but yeah I hadn't thought of the Chun Li similarity, so Ill think of something.

Thanks again!
I was gonna go back and reword a sentence or two (I was afraid of offending you) but I guess you understood what I was trying to say. I'm looking forward to whatever else you're gonna put up for the thread. Honestly, I was into art and was pretty decent but I stopped drawing. I'm often envious of those you can draw and paint so well. :p

Spy

Has anyone checked out their local 7-eleven? My little brother keeps bugging me to go there and see if they have SFIV but I don't want to go until I have confirmation at least one person has gotten the game there.

Snaku

Banned
Spy said:
Has anyone checked out their local 7-eleven? My little brother keeps bugging me to go there and see if they have SFIV but I don't want to go until I have confirmation at least one person has gotten the game there.

I check two local 7-11's on Saturday and Sunday, and they said they didn't have it. =/

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Blueblur1 said:
Please don't be offended by my criticisms. Its early work so I understand why the anatomy and face look off. I'm not a fan of the yellow hoodie nor the design of the pants. IMO I would draw the zipper straight down the middle of the hoodie. As for the pants, they're too similar to Alpha Chun-Li's design (which is a bad thing if you weren't going for that).
I agree with these crits. The pants thing wouldn't be so bad if Sagat's alt didn't already have something similar. The design might still work if you just color them differently enough that they're not immediately invocative of that/Chun's Alpha outfit.

I kinda think the two headbands thing is sort of overkill too, having more than one big flowy accessory just looks too busy in practice.

ShinAmano

Snaku said:
I check two local 7-11's on Saturday and Sunday, and they said they didn't have it. =/
Just checked again today no dice, but i will go back tomorrow as well...and pretty much every day until I get the game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Tier talk isn't annoying. What's annoying is people overreacting to tier talk. Just chill and discuss things for fun. It's part of the game and culture. Deal with it. Also, don't assume just because someone may not be a tourney player now, means they never will be. It's ignorant. Plus, you don't need to be a tourney player to whup ass. I think we've established that.

So just chill and talk with interest about it.

Blueblur1

Kintaro said:
Tier talk isn't annoying. What's annoying is people overreacting to tier talk. Just chill and discuss things for fun. It's part of the game and culture. Deal with it. Also, don't assume just because someone may not be a tourney player now, means they never will be. It's ignorant. Plus, you don't need to be a tourney player to whup ass. I think we've established that.

I'm eager to hear opinions about the tiers. There are a few people that will overreact and probably always will (not trying to single anyone out; just an obvious observation). As someone who's never taken a fighter seriously (aside from MvC2 and I stunk at it), I'm interested in learning as much as possible without intervening much.

bumpkin

Kintaro said:

I get what you're saying and I agree, but being one of the non-serious players who loves Street Fighter as a series and plans to play SFIV online, I find it annoying that the "tourney" players have this attitude that suggests non-serious players should stay offline. You know, as not to taint their stomping grounds or something. It's annoying and elitist. I feel similarly about the whole "scrub" status thing, too. These things all make the implication that if you aren't serious about playing SF, you shouldn't play it at all. God forbid someone who doesn't eat, sleep and breathe a specific type of game play it!

Arde5643 said:
This shows why tiers matter little for most of the cast, except if you're Guile or Claw: :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IG8NMACum8&feature=related

Expert players using Gouki, Chun, Abel, and ELF.

Interesting thing about ELF - most characters besides Claw for one, have to change their whole gameplan for a fight with a good ELF.
the most interesting aspect about this video is how a different character alters the previous character's play style and turns the tables around

*the saddest thing about Tiers in SF4 is Vega (Claw) being in the crapper... the rest of the cast should fare well

GrayFoxPL

jett said:
LULZ at the in-game trash talk. Now I see the need for the translation. I guess I'll be playing in english for a while. :p

It's an awesome idea to have fighters talk to each other during fight.

That's only story mode thou.

keanerie

bumpkin said:
I get what you're saying and I agree, but being one of the non-serious players who loves Street Fighter as a series and plans to play SFIV online, I find it annoying that the "tourney" players have this attitude that suggests non-serious players should stay offline. You know, as not to taint their stomping grounds or something. It's annoying and elitist. I feel similarly about the whole "scrub" status thing, too. These things all make the implication that if you aren't serious about playing SF, you shouldn't play it at all. God forbid someone who doesn't eat, sleep and breathe a specific type of game play it!

I'm honestly not sure where you're getting this impression. Anyone who genuinely complains about scrubs is more than likely a massive scrub themselves, and probably isn't a "tourney" player anyhow. I'm not exactly that entrenched in the scene myself, but my overall impression has been that all the serious players are welcoming the new and non-serious ones with open arms.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Shig said:
I found the opposite with the stock 360 pad, I could play half-circle/quarter-circle motion characters pretty well, but charge characters were totally useless.
I agree. I would always accidently jump when trying to incorporate charge moves into combos. QCF and DP moves are easy for me on any dpad.

Stantron

Awesome sketch, RS. I really like the red head band on the hand, and the hooded gi. Maybe a few less bandaids would be my only critique.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Don't know if its been posted here yet, but some info has been posted about video replays. Only high ranked players will be able to upload videos, so for the scrubs I am truly sorry (not really). No exact info about how high of a rank you need to be, but its gonna be capped at 5k videos or something close to that.

And about tiers, its great to see that many characters have a fighting chance and I believe as more things are found out with the more technical characters they'll only gain more ground. Example; Makoto was top ranked in Japan for awhile once a player (something J I think?) figured out how to do 100% on every character. The thing about C. Viper and El Furete is that what you see on videos is not easy at ALL, these both are very hard and technical characters to use. Very high risk characters, you really don't have to many chances to make mistakes, but you'll see once you start playing. But they're fun characters, so I do hope many of you do play as them, but just know its not as easy as videos make it seem.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Spy said:

I checked 2 local 7-11s on Saturday and neither of them had it.

Kintaro

n3ss said:
Don't know if its been posted here yet, but some info has been posted about video replays. Only high ranked players will be able to upload videos, so for the scrubs I am truly sorry (not really). No exact info about how high of a rank you need to be, but its gonna be capped at 5k videos or something close to that.

This can be seen as something good and bad. Not really a good idea to lock people out of the feature though.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Kintaro said:
This can be seen as something good and bad. Not really a good idea to lock people out of the feature though.

But do you really want to see scrubs amazing video's? I can see it now, title "BEST VIDEO EVER!" And its a video Ryu just doing is Ultra...

pass

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Viper is really hard to use.. X_x

Kintaro said:

Could encourage ppl to get better..!

PhatSaqs

Banned
Kintaro said:
It sounds like it's like NG2 where the top ranked can upload and have their replays downloaded by anyone. Im sure everyone else can use the replay feature itself just not be able to upload them to the server for all to view. Makes sense to me.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
n3ss said:
But do you really want to see scrubs amazing video's? I can see it now, title "BEST VIDEO EVER!" And its a video Ryu just doing is Ultra...

pass

Nice elitism :lol

I guess "scrubs" like you call them shouldnt even be able to buy the game. How dare they to play SF4!!!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
SapientWolf said:
I agree. I would always accidently jump when trying to incorporate charge moves into combos. QCF and DP moves are easy for me on any dpad.

Exactly. Hadokens/DP's were a piece of cake on the stock 360 pad. I never really understood the beef. Charge moves were definitely tougher.

haunts said:
Viper is really hard to use.. X_x

But is she fun to use as well? All signs point to a big Hell Yes. That's all that matters to me. I don't care if I keep losing until I "get" her. She's just too awesome looking. Her and Abel are gonna be my mains. Don't think I'll touch the old cast aside from 'Gief and Cammy.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Kandrick said:

I guess "scrubs" like you call them shouldnt even be able to buy the game. How dare they to play SF4!!!

he has a point though, what if you have to wade through 100s of videos just to see something even remotely decent? At least this way the matches should be good and ppl can learn from watching them.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Kandrick said:

Seriously, it'd be a waste of serve space if every person was capable of uploading videos regardless. I wouldn't want someone of lesser skill taking up limited server space when a high ranking player has a awesome video sitting on his HD and can't up load it...

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
as long as i can save replays locally, i like the idea of only having the top 5k videos available for everyone. weed out all the boring stuff.

ShinAmano

I am sure it is out there, but I could not find anything...how do you unlock the characters? Example: If I beat it with Ryu do I get Sakura...ect.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
ShinAmano said:
I am sure it is out there, but I could not find anything...how do you unlock the characters? Example: If I beat it with Ryu do I get Sakura...ect.

Not correct, its a different character :D

But I am sure Haunts will have a bunch of info once his guide is out next week.!

Stantron

DMPrince said:
i would still like the option of sending videos to friends if of course the replays are saved on the HDD first ;o
So would this be possible? Technically, you're not uploading it to a server, just transferring the local file.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I don't like the fact that weaker players can't upload replays. Granted, it should be limited, but still allowed. It's pretty elitist and douchebaggy to think average players shouldn't get to share their favorite and (what they consider to be) most exciting matches with their friends or with others on a message board.

I think a better system would be if every played had a personal and limited upload amount. Like every player can have 2-3 videos uploaded and have that upload last for about a week before it is deleted off the server.

You should have that on top of the ranked version they have now, so that you have the collection of top players to watch but also allow uploading and sharing of videos amongst everyone.

slayn said:
I don't like the fact that weaker players can't upload replays. Granted, it should be limited, but still allowed. It's pretty elitist and douchebaggy to think average players shouldn't get to share their favorite and (what they consider to be) most exciting matches with their friends or with others on a message board.

I'm an average player and I think this is a great idea. I don't want to watch some guy spamming fireballs or doing an ultra... I'd much rather watch experienced players' videos and you know, be able to learn something from them.

Have you seen the amount of shit on skate.reel? I think it's safe to say that 99% of the uploaded videos are fucking horrible. Awesome - ANOTHER video of a pop-shuvit to whatever grind they happen to fall into. The same thing with SF4? No thanks.

isn't there a rating system? Sure people can still rate a crappy video high or rate great videos low but still. maybe limit the amount of videos a player can upload. and if they are super higher ranked they can get more uploads ;o

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
DMPrince said:
isn't there a rating system? Sure people can still rate a crappy video high or rate great videos low but still. maybe limit the amount of videos a player can upload. and if they are super higher ranked they can get more uploads ;o

Or search filters. List videos by rank of uploader, problem solved. So people dont have to go through 100videos of people doing nothing to find good ones.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
DMPrince said:

But you talking about a limited space here, and whats the point of having that limited space filled with low quality play, if I want to see that I'd sign on to xbl and play a random person...

prodystopian said:
I use Gouki, so I was wondering if someone found something with a combo, set up, etc. that made him jump. I am not a tourney player, just interested in a character I use.
- he does alot of damage in combos, can fight sagat if not playing sloppy
- wake up teleport gets him out of crossup and wake up 50/50 tricks
- his roundhouse double kick is a good pressure stater that setups for mind games
- red fireball beats almost all projectiles and does alot of damage when comboed
- air fireball is a really good lockdown tool
- thousand demon; mixups and hard to zone him
- both ultra and super are useful in the right situations, but he doesn't rely on it

Kintaro

haunts said:
he has a point though, what if you have to wade through 100s of videos just to see something even remotely decent? At least this way the matches should be good and ppl can learn from watching them.

It all depends. What will define "top ranked" first of all. Also, if you can see who is ranked, it'll be easy to just follow their videos via a user name. So, no. I don't see how it would be that hard to find good matches.

I'm all for encouraging people to get better and improve, but locking out the option is a bad way of doing it. Capcom is telling that same person who paid $59.99 "Sorry, you're not good enough to use all the features in this game even though you paid the same price as everyone else." That's not the way to foster growth.

It will not be difficult to track and see top ranked players videos if this service if run with any sort of intelligence. Locking out a feature is a dick move.

Edit; Also, I'm sure there will be a ton of people who have "good "matches at all sort of skill levels worthy of being seen just as much as there will be shitty matches of top ranked skill level not worthy of being seen.

Chorazin

I agree that it is rather lame that everyone can't upload a video. Maybe you had an awesome fight with a pal and want to share it with other friends but you aren't uber?

All of the complaints would be solved with a simple "Videos By Rank" search filter. You only want to watch the best of the best? Set a rank limit showing only videos of the rank to set or higher.

Or, better yet for PS3 owners, Capcom should make use of the upload to Youtube API built into the PS3's firmware.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Kintaro said:
It all depends. What will define "top ranked" first of all. Also, if you can see who is ranked, it'll be easy to just follow their videos via a user name. So, no. I don't see how it would be that hard to find good matches.

I'm all for encouraging people to get better and improve, but locking out the option is a bad way of doing it. Capcom is telling that same person who paid $59.99 "Sorry, you're not good enough to use all the features in this game even though you paid the same price as everyone else." That's not the way to foster growth.

It will not be difficult to track and see top ranked players videos if this service if run with any sort of intelligence. Locking out a feature is a dick move.

This feature is DLC. I don't think its a tracking issue, its a server space issue. There are several ranking systems implemented into the game, I'm sure it'll be using one of them to base who gets to upload videos or not. I can't believe people are complaining about this.

Top Bottom