• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I'm by no means a superman, it's just that I've been seeing a lot of flowcharts in the early stages of the championship mode. I think I got in too late to powerlevel with the big boys.

Calibur

I finally give killzone2 a break and got back into sf4 with the new champion mode, I won my first tourney lastnite with blanka, after expecting that my ryu will never be able to match the high level ryu's out there, only if i quit my day job. :D

im tuning up my blanka, i'll luv to here tips from pro blanka players, or links to good vids?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Calibur said:
im tuning up my blanka, i'll luv to here tips from pro blanka players, or links to good vids!

I'm by no means pro, but Jumping mk, cr.mk hop to other side then up ball/throw/jump straight up in the air heavy kick(then begin combo again) works pretty well. people can jab you out of the first hop, but it's pretty handy way to work the awesome hop into the game.

GrayFoxPL

Brobzoid said:
I've lost to a great Vega on Championship too, faced him twice actually! Might be the same dude since he Super'd me twice and I was more than happy to go down in flames. Dude was on top of that shit. managed to get two hits out of a barcelona dive and all kinds of funky shit!

I should send him a message...

Very possible.

I wanted to send him a message too! :lol

I got back to SFIV just yesterday. I'm doing horrible, it's like I forgot everything. Fersis can confirm, He beat me smoothly lately :lol.
But the championship is like crack, I don't care that I loose I can't stop!

Btw. Any advice how to counter Zangief with Fei Long?

GrayFoxPL

Brobzoid said:
I thought you played Seth Grayfox? :eek:

I didn't even unlock him. I forgot all about it :lol.

I played mostly Guile. Now my main is Honda as it's easier to deal damage and get oponent on oichi throw crossup loops. I try to learn Fei, Dan and Sakura! I always have lots of love for bottom characters. :lol

Brobzoid

ah, I got you mixed up with CO_Andy. I don't think I've played you yet then.... we need to get on top of that! >:|

GrayFoxPL

Brobzoid said:
ah, I got you mixed up with CO_Andy. I don't think I've played you yet then.... we need to get on top of that! >:|

I'm pretty sure I have you on friends list. If not I'll add you today. :)

Brobzoid

Oh I remember you from HDR, Grayfox >:| I look at your name on my friendslist and grit my teeth regularly.

well, not really, but you know....

GrayFoxPL

Brobzoid said:
Oh I remember you from HDR, Grayfox >:| I look at your name on my friendslist and grit my teeth regularly.

well, not really, but you know....

Oh man I forgot all about HDR totally after SFIV. I must visit it. Anyone still playing?

rocK`

Banned
That's Sabin, he used to play Dhalsim in NY (thankfully, he moved on). His Sim was quite beastly, but could easily get outscrubbed just by beating his pokes with... whatever.

It would seem natural he'd go to Seth (zoning, good set of mixups and a lot of manuevrability). I wonder if he'll make the 5v5 evo east team.

Won

ThatCrazyGuy said:
That's the beauty of hit, Zangief changes the play styles up, which I don't think is a bad thing. People are mad because they have to play Gief different? Should all match ups be the same? I like variety (which everyone seems to crave in this thread), and gief brings this, you have to play different. I have to play Rose different, I have to play Rufus different. It's good.

Variety? Is there another Zangief I don't know about?

"The Abel combo at 2:24 (looks like an overhand punch, spinning back fist, then throw). Is there a way to not get thrown if you block? Can I jab him out of that or anything?"

You can reversal it after blocking the first (or second) hit with just about whatever you want. It's very unsafe. Also, the throw itself blockable (not techable), it's essentially a hit.

Teknopathetic said:
You can reversal it after blocking the first (or second) hit with just about whatever you want. It's very unsafe. Also, the throw itself blockable (not techable), it's essentially a hit.

Thanks. I keep blocking it low and getting hit by the overhead, so I really need to work on that.

Why do you quote the way you do?

MoxManiac

Man the zangiefs in G2 seem a lot better than i'm used to. I'm stuggling with this matchup now.

EDIT: I saw a replay of this seth player (kdash) double perfect a gen player. It was sick.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
prodystopian said:
Thanks. I keep blocking it low and getting hit by the overhead, so I really need to work on that.

Why do you quote the way you do?
Long story but essentially so people ask why he does it.

zodiak

First three mathces in CM and see what happens :lol

cmode.jpg

BitchTits

I think I just found a small bug after the patch, I went to the Edit Status screen offline, but when I press B to get out of it it says I need to be connected to XBL and won't go back to the main menu. I feel like I'm over looking something really simple, but it always worked before.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Teknopathetic said:
"The Abel combo at 2:24 (looks like an overhand punch, spinning back fist, then throw). Is there a way to not get thrown if you block? Can I jab him out of that or anything?"

i'd like to know more on this too

Sometimes when someone is blocking my CoD, i get the Grab on the last part, but some times they block ALL 3 including the grab.

i never understood exactly how CoD blocking works

~Devil Trigger~ said:
i'd like to know more on this too

Sometimes when someone is blocking my CoD, i get the Grab on the last part, but some times they block ALL 3 including the grab.

i never understood exactly how CoD blocking works

CoD broken down

1st hit - high

2nd hit - P is overhead - will combo after first hit
K is low - will not combo

3rd hit - P is high grab with hit properties - combos after 2nd hit
K is low grab with it properties - doesn't combo

Really the only part you have to block high is 2nd hit P. Otherwise, everything can be blocked low. You might be catching people with the grab at the end because they're trying to jump away too late.

Careful about not doing the whole CoD string on block as 9 times out of 10 you'll be eating an ultra.

CPS2

I think punishing CoD's first hit is pretty tough, unless they use LP CoD you probably won't beat it with a reversal dragon punch.

UC1 said:
I think punishing CoD's first hit is pretty tough, unless they use LP CoD you probably won't beat it with a reversal dragon punch.

If they just do the first part of CoD then yeah it's tough, but if they go for the 2nd hit after block, then it's really easy to reversal.

CPS2

FindMyFarms said:
If they just do the first part of CoD then yeah it's tough, but if they go for the 2nd hit after block, then it's really easy to reversal.

Yeah, I just have a feeling that since you can hit confirm into CoD pretty easily, good Abel players probably can tell if they should block after the first hit. You can still reversal them, it's just kinda tricky.

UC1 said:
Yeah, I just have a feeling that since you can hit confirm into CoD pretty easily, good Abel players probably can tell if they should block after the first hit. You can still reversal them, it's just kinda tricky.

Yeah, it's not usually something I do on reaction. Often times it's just a read I make after a previous CoD attempt of their's.

I main Balrog though, and ex rush upper is safe after CoD's first hit. If they go for a P on 2nd hit I get a free upper loop, K on 2nd hit gives me a throw, and if they block I have frame advantage.

Balrog easy mode ftw.

KTallguy said:
Gief is a great character but he's still lower tier.
If you properly zone him, he has to take big guesses to get in.
Just read it and respond accordingly.

As a cammy player with so many bad matchups, Gief usually tends to be a sigh of relief for me. HK Spiral Arrow>Lariat...every fucking time. I make them pay so hard for being cheap. Add Hooligan's combo throw into the mix and I can do some serious damage without getting anywhere near his throw range. Oh and nothing feels better than his little run/dash throw getting countered with a spiral arrow :D

On the other side of the spectrum, and this is me just being a noob here, but how the hell do you block Vega's air slice attack thing. It always seems to cross me up and it's fairly unpredictable where one blocks. Is it up to the vega player to decide where the attack will hit? Should I just block back? I've played so many vegas on championship mode lately and I can't get their strats down =\

LakeEarth

UC1 said:
If your character has a SRK then it's not that bad. Other characters do have difficulty though.

myDingling said:
As a cammy player with so many bad matchups, Gief usually tends to be a sigh of relief for me. HK Spiral Arrow>Lariat...every fucking time. I make them pay so hard for being cheap. Add Hooligan's combo throw into the mix and I can do some serious damage without getting anywhere near his throw range. Oh and nothing feels better than his little run/dash throw getting countered with a spiral arrow :D

On the other side of the spectrum, and this is me just being a noob here, but how the hell do you block Vega's air slice attack thing. It always seems to cross me up and it's fairly unpredictable where one blocks. Is it up to the vega player to decide where the attack will hit? Should I just block back? I've played so many vegas on championship mode lately and I can't get their strats down =\

Focus attack the hit, dash cancel into him when he lands, then throw him. Once you get the hang of it you'll never get hit by his wall dive again, and the Vega player will likely stop doing it.

Now, Vega can get around that, but most players online don't know how to so don't worry about it.

FindMyFarms said:
Focus attack the hit, dash cancel into him when he lands, then throw him. Once you get the hang of it you'll never get hit by his wall dive again, and the Vega player will likely stop doing it.

Now, Vega can get around that, but most players online don't know how to so don't worry about it.

Awesome! Thanks, I will try this tonight.

Jason

I fought a good Ken on the weekend who was FADCing my ass six ways from sunday. All I could do was jab so he wouldn't get any perfects. :lol

CPS2

LakeEarth said:
If your character has a SRK then it's not that bad. Other characters do have difficulty though.

They have to be spot on though, 1st hit of CoD is only -3 (except the LP version). Especially online, you could get away with say jump in MK, cr.MP, MP CoD, block to bait DP, ultra or something. Go lag tactics! :lol

Jason said:
I fought a good Ken on the weekend who was FADCing my ass six ways from sunday. All I could do was jab so he wouldn't get any perfects. :lol

Don't worry, if Ken is FADCing he probably sucks. Ultra after fp srk does almost no damage unless you can get the cutscene on someone with a big hit box. Ken's ex tatsu and fp srk are too good to waste bar on FADC. I think they only time I'd use ken's ultra after a fp srk is if I know it's going to kill them or at least really put them in a bad situation.

LakeEarth

UC1 said:
They have to be spot on though, 1st hit of CoD is only -3 (except the LP version). Especially online, you could get away with say jump in MK, cr.MP, MP CoD, block to bait DP, ultra or something. Go lag tactics! :lol
They've gotten me since reversals are easier in this game.

FindMyFarms said:
Don't worry, if Ken is FADCing he probably sucks. Ultra after fp srk does almost no damage unless you can get the cutscene on someone with a big hit box. Ken's ex tatsu and fp srk are too good to waste bar on FADC. I think they only time I'd use ken's ultra after a fp srk is if I know it's going to kill them or at least really put them in a bad situation.

You can use FADC for jab resets after DP nub. MIXUP MIXUP. Are you getting online today?

GalacticAE said:
You can use FADC for jab resets after DP nub. MIXUP MIXUP. Are you getting online today?

Do you really wanna use 2 bars on a reset though? You get free mixup after ex tatsu anyways and ambiguous crossup w/ air ex tatsu. Either way you prob know Ken better than I do.

Can't get online today :/ I'll be on tomorrow night to run a tourney match w/ Sanjay, don't know how long I'll be online though. I'm going through withdrawal here lol, it's been like 2 weeks since I've gotten some solid SF4 playtime.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Saw some of your matches with Cammy.. You got the Spike FADC Spike thing down well at least.. I'm jealous :X
Oh man it was forever before I approved a replay upload because in every final I flubbed the spike FADC spike. So shameful. I still only hit it about 75% of the time, which is still a big improvement. I usually do the second spike too early. Still can't do spike FADC ultra in an actual match. I can do this shit with my eyes closed using Ryu! But everyone uses Ryu. He doesn't have buns. Screw him.

FindMyFarms said:

Why did I never think to do this. I feel so stupid.

Rummy Bunnz said:
Why did I never think to do this. I feel so stupid.

Also w/ cammy if Vega lands in front of you, your FA has enough range to hit him and get a crumple. Free ex tk strike combo or spike fadc ultra for u :)

Top Bottom