• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
BitchTits said:
Now that was a good match. Two great characters, two great players and not a damn shoto in sight! :D

Word. Vlad's 'Lism gets mad respect from me. He taught me the value of teching to say the least. Had some really good matches w/ him just the other day--I was using Sakura. Keep in mind, he's essentially beating my ass, record-wise, like 10-1, but a lot of them were close and I'll never forget winning a round with Sakura's EX Otoshi all the way from the other side of the screen on his Yoga Fire. Classic stuff. :D

Arde5643

TurtleSnatcher said:
Least you got to the finals.

Are you using El Fuerte?

I would love to see some El Fuerte GAF player replays.

I watch some of the highest ranked ones on XBL and they somehow manage to do the exact stuff that I do yet they win.. It baffles me!

BAFFLES!
Fuerte sucks big time, dudeee.... He's weak, no combos, no damage, no priority, and plus, his English voice is so grating.
No wonder he's such a useless low tier.

T_T

MicVlaD said:
Had a good match with Saqs yesterday, if anyone cares. We stumbled upon each other in Championship Mode, coincidentally.

That was a good match. You had him in the first round, but the slide when he ultra'd was the nail in the coffin. The third round, you sort of just started doing predictable teleports which got hit with a counter. Are you able to combo from his standing forward? I noticed a few times when you did it, but didn't follow it with anything (like the super).

And Mimic, Abel's is one of the two combos I still have to do.

There's a new episode of the Street Fighter Podcast for those that are interested.

So fyi, if you turn off your console after you lose a match in championship when points are being calculated, it counts as a DC. Kind of annoying and makes me wonder if points are player side and not server side once again. So fyi, if you have the habit of turning off console right after a loss, let it go through it's whole business before you do it or risk losing points and getting a d/c. Fuck that 1% next to my name now -_-

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
MicVlaD said:
Had a good match with Saqs yesterday, if anyone cares. We stumbled upon each other in Championship Mode, coincidentally.

Very nice match Vladdy - aggressive Dhalsim is something I don't see every day, and you really put me on the defensive the last time we played with him - we've got to do this tomorrow! :)

Dunno why, but me and friends of mine have been playing Street Fighter for the last few days straight - and we aren't even playing Championship Mode or anything...

Beezy

I finally managed got the win 10 rank matches in a row achievement. Either I got a lot better with Dictator or all the really good people are playing championship mode. None of my fights felt easy though. I had to fight a few Blankas, Zangiefs, cheesy Akumas, and good (imo) Ryu players.

Blanka is by far the most annoying character to fight against. Worse than Zangief imo.

bounchfx

hey look! it's championship mode!
ken, ken, ken, ken ken, akuma, ken ken, akuma, akuma, akuma, akuma, ryu, ken, ken, ken, ken, akuma

the fuck, people?

FindMyFarms said:
Ok just watched this again. Don't know how I missed it the first time but Zangief is actually shooting Blankas LOL.
U say Red Cyclone is sterile? Get outta here with that shit.

I like how you claimed to be on Marvel today but you got scared when you remember I too play GGPO. Didn't see you on, homeslice.

:'( Yea I cried. So?

I'm learning some new kara setups. Ken has some awesome normals I just with s.rh was a bit faster because it has such good priority from my experience. Seems like it would be useful if they cut down the startup.

His target combo is horrible. It whiffs in a lot of situations and not so safe on block. I opt for st.rh xx Fierce DP. Its only redeeming quality is that it does a lot of stun.

GalacticAE said:
U say Red Cyclone is sterile? Get outta here with that shit.

I like how you claimed to be on Marvel today but you got scared when you remember I too play GGPO. Didn't see you on, homeslice.

:'( Yea I cried. So?

Huh? Where did I say he's sterile?? edit - just got ur dumb joke

Also, I was on GGPO for 2 hours getting pwned by Mexicans on mahvel. Somehow they picked a ghetto black chun li that had guns
proton cannon
, wtf.

On GGPO, if you look to the right of the chat screen, you can actually see users online in a room. Next time look there and you'll see me :p

FindMyFarms said:
Huh? Where did I say he's sterile?? edit - just got ur dumb joke

Also, I was on GGPO for 2 hours getting pwned by Mexicans on mahvel. Somehow they picked a ghetto black chun li that had guns
proton cannon[/cannon], wtf.

On GGPO, if you look to the right of the chat screen, you can actually see users online in a room. Next time look there and you'll see me :p
Did you play DjFrijoles? Good guy.

How can you lose to Mexicans in OUR game? Disgraceful to your country.

BTW, got a local SF4 tourney coming up. So excited. Got some casuals earlier with one of our top players and I'm pretty confident.

Someone installed a World Warrior cab at a comic shop not too far from here which was pretty cool. Time warp.

GalacticAE said:
Did you play DjFrijoles? Good guy.

How can you lose to Mexicans in OUR game? Disgraceful to your country.

BTW, got a local SF4 tourney coming up. So excited. Got some casuals earlier with one of our top players and I'm pretty confident.

Someone installed a World Warrior cab at a comic shop not too far from here which was pretty cool. Time warp.

All I can say is that the guy I was playing was "stealing" victories from me left and right lol. Today's the first time I've really played marvel.

Also, if you're back in tx by then, there's another UFO tourney may 23rd, it'll be sick. Won't be as stacked as Arcadia, but Jon is going to be there, he just might be the best player in Texas after qualifying for SBO.

WW Guile ftw.

I really seem to be having problems keeping pressure up with Bison. Seems like I let up eventually and whoever I'm against gets a free jump in. STOP PRESSING BUTTONS AND LET ME SCISSOR YOU.

<>

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Teknopathetic said:
I really seem to be having problems keeping pressure up with Bison. Seems like I let up eventually and whoever I'm against gets a free jump in. STOP PRESSING BUTTONS AND LET ME SCISSOR YOU.

<>

That's actually exactly why I gave up bison seriously. I wanted to play a charge character instead of ryu but bison kept getting knocked out all the time. I like his devil reverse trick. Now his my blankas arch enemy though. That's quite a hard fight. Not sagat hard or balrog hard, but it's close.

I want my new sticks so bad it hurts. STUPID FAULTY SHITTY HORI EX2 STICKS NEVER BUY THEM

i suck at champ mode and as i balrog player, i have a tough time against Vega, any tips?

Yes, Vega is a complete wuss. Just hit him 5 times and he should be dead. :lol (I can't deal with his shit much either. sorry) I just kind of block a lot, do the focus attack and dash cancel when he does his wall dive.

Holy shit Holy shit.

So tonight i'm playing Championship mode..

And I get my first fucking win in a tournament in G2 finally.

I faced this Viper who had "NoCal" in his name and I was like "Oh shit I'm fucked"

Yet I somehow pulled it off.. I was so stoked.

Then I play some player matches.. go back and I try championship again and get some players with like 4000-5000 GP and I'm like "Shit I'm fucked" and somehow win those.

I get to the final and win again and I earned so much CP that I actually placed in the top 300 on Xbox Live.

Sorry this may not be big for like a yeb or a Saqs but holy shit I'm so happy :D

Take that people on my friends list! (ie: Rummy Bunz!) I passed you! :lol

And my bragging is done. I'm really liking the wall jump HP then HP + Quesadilla Bomb combo. Does shit tons of stun but I can only do it to fireball users if I notice they are spamming a bit :(

LowParry

I'll probably be switching to the PS3 version of SFIV here soon. Just need to sell some things to get things rolling. Meh. Meaning unlocks to do and blah.

Momar

aka Ryder
GGs to those people I've played in the past few days on PSN. The SF4 GAF chat is a really nice tool. I'm Momar2099. Who is OniKagai, Seer, and Qistoptier on here?

exarkun

Can I ask a question? I playing as Ken really that big of a crime? I'm sorry that when I was between the ages of 8 and ten I played street fighter like it was my business and mastered the TWO MAIN CHARACTERS MOVES (I did and do play with other characters but really only cause I like to see what their limitations are and what their move sets look like). Nor do I feel like changing since I used ken/ryu in Marvel vs Capcom 1 and 2 (as back up mostly though) and most other street fighters.

Most people that meet me online seem pissed that I picked Ken (Hey, be happy that I pick the now weaker of the two) and think I only do it cause I just recently got into street fighter. Wouldn't it make sense that a newer player would chose someone else cause they AREN'T used to the old set of characters?

You guys should see my inbox on ps3, full of people pissed about "another Ken" and "if you weren't Ken you'd lose". I feel like there just aren't enough 4000gp+ Kens out there for people to get upset with me. UGHHH its so annoying.

exarkun said:
Can I ask a question? I playing as Ken really that big of a crime? I'm sorry that when I was between the ages of 8 and ten I played street fighter like it was my business and mastered the TWO MAIN CHARACTERS MOVES (I did and do play with other characters but really only cause I like to see what their limitations are and what their move sets look like). Nor do I feel like changing since I used ken/ryu in Marvel vs Capcom 1 and 2 (as back up mostly though) and most other street fighters.

Most people that meet me online seem pissed that I picked Ken (Hey, be happy that I pick the now weaker of the two) and think I only do it cause I just recently got into street fighter. Wouldn't it make sense that a newer player would chose someone else cause they AREN'T used to the old set of characters?

You guys should see my inbox on ps3, full of people pissed about "another Ken" and "if you weren't Ken you'd lose". I feel like there just aren't enough 4000gp+ Kens out there for people to get upset with me. UGHHH its so annoying.

You would get more cool points if you mastered a few charge characters.

No crime in who you pick, just bored of playing the same character all the time.

Dreavus

exarkun said:

Playing against Ken isn't that big of a deal for any player worth their salt. I've played against some excellent Ken players who proceed to destroy my Sakura over and over again in player matches.

I think the whole thing about "flowchart Ken" has just been exacerbated by the presence of lag during online play, which allows people to be struck by dragon punches and other moves they would otherwise block. This, coupled with the fact that Ken seems to be relatively common for many people (personally I get Ryu players far more often), multiplies people's frustration to the point where Ken has become some sort of herald for "scrub" players, when obviously some great Ken players do exist.

I say if you are kicking people's ass with Ken, carry on. If they can't deal with you, they don't really deserve to knock you for the character you are choosing.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Ken's OK. If it's a scrub using ken I actually enjoy dishing out hilariously repeditive beat downs. Blankas bite is the best move in the game!

A good Ken is so annoying though, because I'm almost conditioned to expect a crap one. :lol

Ryu is by far the more common character though. That sucks. I used to main him as well, but stopped improving after a while. I prefer blanka, he's just so rad.

exarkun

jordan0386 said:
You would get more cool points if you mastered a few charge characters.

No crime in who you pick, just bored of playing the same character all the time.

Charge characters (except for Balrog who is total beast and Blank/Bison) just don't really do it for me.

If I had to, I could probably play decently with Balrog. Good Balrogs always give me the fits, so I could start there. I love the turn around punch (the one activated by holding down punch) because most people online don't see enough good Balrog to ever expect it. So many modifiers to the move set that I wouldn't get bored (which is usually my criteria).

Blanka is a close second with Bison coming in third. Guile and Honda don't do it for me, I guess to much work for too little compensation.

After seeing the complaining in the thread I guess I could start to branch out with Balrog/Bison/Blanka (all B's!) if only to prove I'm not a one trick pony.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I guess all the better players are at G2 now. The quality of matches really took a nose-dive since the weekend. I think I actually won like 4-5 tourneys in a row...amazing.

I love it when I'm able to beat a Gief with Honda. I always send them a friendly after match taunt:

"Sumo > Wrestling" :lol

Good Ken's are probably my favorite to play against. That man is a pimp, and I like to see his full potential. I've only faced one really awesome Ken, went 2-1 against him :D

Exarkun, if you're good with him, stick with him. And post some vids, I want to relearn him since my madd SFII skillz with Ken did not transfer at all :p Been playing Ken for 15 years

BTW, really wanna play some of GAF's Balrog army some more. I think i've solved Balrog: just stay out of the jab zone since he owns it :p I need to put my theory to the test.

Garcian

exarkun said:
After seeing the complaining in the thread I guess I could start to branch out with Balrog/Bison/Blanka (all B's!) if only to prove I'm not a one trick pony.

Don't worry about it man - just play your own game & have fun.

Killa Sasa said:
Good Ken's are probably my favorite to play against. That man is a pimp, and I like to see his full potential. I've only faced one really awesome Ken, went 2-1 against him :D

Exarkun, if you're good with him, stick with him. And post some vids, I want to relearn him since my madd SFII skillz with Ken did not transfer at all :p Been playing Ken for 15 years

BTW, really wanna play some of GAF's Balrog army some more. I think i've solved Balrog: just stay out of the jab zone since he owns it :p I need to put my theory to the test.

Stay out of Rog's jab zone? Did you start playing someone with a fireball? :lol

And I'd love to play, but my ps3 :(

FindMyFarms said:
Stay out of Rog's jab zone? Did you start playing someone with a fireball? :lol

And I'd love to play, but my ps3 :(

Well Guile has a better chance against that crazy jab string to headbutt to ultra now :p

I haven't figured out exactly how to approach a good Rog or Honda with her just yet. Guile isn't a bitch to fight anymore though since 99% of Guile players play on the same 2.5-3 second rhythm in terms of time between their attacks. Plus, I know everything a Family Man could throw at me.

Cammy vs a good Rog is a game of gambles that is not in her favor with my current skill level :lol He's so safe and hits really hard. Deceptively fast too.

Cammy really needs some safe chip damage in the next version. Mixups can only get you so far against people who know her whole bag of tricks.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
TurtleSnatcher said:
Holy shit Holy shit.

So tonight i'm playing Championship mode..

And I get my first fucking win in a tournament in G2 finally.

I faced this Viper who had "NoCal" in his name and I was like "Oh shit I'm fucked"

Yet I somehow pulled it off.. I was so stoked.
I played a Viper with "NoCal" in the GT not long ago, but all that Viper did was jump. Poor Viper ended up on the business end of Dhalsim's standing b+mp. It was so weird, I chalked it up to one sided lag or something. The fight made no sense otherwise.

Killa Sasa said:
Well Guile has a better chance against that crazy jab string to headbutt to ultra now :p

I haven't figured out exactly how to approach a good Rog or Honda with her just yet. Guile isn't a bitch to fight anymore though since 99% of Guile players play on the same 2.5-3 second rhythm in terms of time between their attacks. Plus, I know everything a Family Man could throw at me.

Cammy vs a good Rog is a game of gambles that is not in her favor with my current skill level :lol He's so safe and hits really hard. Deceptively fast too.

Cammy really needs some safe chip damage in the next version. Mixups can only get you so far against people who know her whole bag of tricks.

OH yeah dude I completely forgot you play guile also haha. I think you already romped my rog with him anyways lol. You improve really fast, so no doubt your new skillz will probably catch me :p That, and I haven't been able to really play for 3 weeks :/

OK I think it's time to learn a new character as I won't be able to improve much more on a stock 360 pad (damn you Madcatz).

I can't decide between Abel and Rufus. I'm leaning towards Abel but am worried that he doesn't have a reliable anti-air, and I don't know his FADC combos.

Who should I go for, and any advice.

Level 8 Boss said:
OK I think it's time to learn a new character as I won't be able to improve much more on a stock 360 pad (damn you Madcatz).

I can't decide between Abel and Rufus. I'm leaning towards Abel but am worried that he doesn't have a reliable anti-air, and I don't know his FADC combos.

Who should I go for, and any advice.

You must ask yourself, do you like ultras? If so pick Rufus.

So I used Abel for the first time seriously yesterday, and I'm already better with him than any shoto I've tried getting good with for the past few months. Why do I suck with shotos so much? Actually, Abel is probably the only non charge character I'm decent with, and I've only been using him for less than 24 hours.

I still want to get really good with Ryu, though. That fucking ultra, man.

FindMyFarms said:
Actually, outside of CoD FADC Abel's is really hard to setup, while Rufus' is the easiest in the game.
I was thinking that cross-up and c.hp -> ultra. Of course if the cross up is always blocked...

But yeah Rufus' is much easier, I agree with that.

Rocky_Balboa said:
I was thinking that cross-up and c.hp -> ultra. Of course if the cross up is always blocked...

But yeah Rufus' is much easier, I agree with that.

If only it were as easy as just hitting someone with a crossup :( Then I'd like Abel a lot more lol.

FindMyFarms said:
Actually, outside of CoD FADC Abel's is really hard to setup, while Rufus' is the easiest in the game.

That's the impression I get, everyone knows that Abel's ultra goes through projectiles and no one is stupid enough to use one once Abel has an Ultra stocked.

Need to look at Rufus and his Ultra set ups, the only one I know is FADC Messiah kick.

Pop On Arrival said:
So I used Abel for the first time seriously yesterday, and I'm already better with him than any shoto I've tried getting good with for the past few months. Why do I suck with shotos so much? Actually, Abel is probably the only non charge character I'm decent with, and I've only been using him for less than 24 hours.

I still want to get really good with Ryu, though. That fucking ultra, man.

Ryu is a beast. Learn the following, and learn them well.

LP srk, clean or trades - EX hado, shnkuu or Metsu
EX Tatsu in the corner - Metsu
EX hado in the corner - Metsu
Jumping strong - Metsu

It's also important to be able to FADC - Metsu your opponents pokes. Not enough people respect Ryu when he has two ex bars stocked and keep applying pressure, punish these fools.

EX srk is fairly week, but can be used to beat out pretty much anything.
EX tatsu as a combo finisher if possible.

Zoning - hadokens are going to be you're best zoning tool. The recovery from these things is almost instant. EX hado knocks down and recovers insanely quickly. Combo this off of MP, LP, MK, LK.

Combo'ing Ryu's Normals: Ryu can link a lot of his normals with a lot of ease, such as c.lp, c.mp/c.hp. His c.mp can be followed up with a c.mk or a c.hp. His F+hp also links into c.lp. It's also said that f+mp (overhead) can be followed up with a c.lp link, I'd like confirmation please. In other words, Ryu can link a fierce off of everything except his kicks. Just know that he can combo well with his normals. It's up to you to choose what fits for you.

BnB Combos

- c.lpx3, c.mk xx Hadoken/hk hurricane kick
- c.lp, c.hp xx
- f+hp, c.lp, c.hp xx

MP beats out a lot of pokes and specials, including blanka ball, and most of Rogs pokes. MK - hado is something you'll need to do in your sleep.

That should get you started.

Thanks for the tips and the write up, much appreciated. I've got all those down and I can even do the c lp lp fierce dp into ultra flawlessly, but I think there's just something wrong with the way I'm using him. When I play with my friends that are around my skill level, I get stomped whenever I use Ryu, despite knowing all his B&B combos.

I think I'm just naturally better with charge characters? I think it's pretty telling that I can do all that stuff you listed and still get stomped whenever I play with people that are just as good as me, or slightly worse when I use my main (chun li) Hell, I know even less about Sagat, all I do is zone em out with tiger shots and just try to keep people the hell away from me as much as possible throughout the entire match and I do better.

It's just really weird when a really good Ryu comes along and bamboozles me. It's like we're doing the exact same thing, but we're obviously not. Oh well, I'm definitely not giving up on Ryu, but for now, I'm just gonna stick to what I'm decent with. Maybe when/if I get really good, I'll do better with shoto's.

Pop On Arrival said:
Thanks for the tips and the write up, much appreciated. I've got all those down and I can even do the c lp lp fierce dp into ultra flawlessly, but I think there's just something wrong with the way I'm using him. When I play with my friends that are around my skill level, I get stomped whenever I use Ryu, despite knowing all his B&B combos.

I think I'm just naturally better with charge characters? I think it's pretty telling that I can do all that stuff you listed and still get stomped whenever I play with people that are just as good as me, or slightly worse when I use my main (chun li) Hell, I know even less about Sagat, all I do is zone em out with tiger shots and just try to keep people the hell away from me as much as possible throughout the entire match and I do better.

It's just really weird when a really good Ryu comes along and bamboozles me. It's like we're doing the exact same thing, but we're obviously not. Oh well, I'm definitely not giving up on Ryu, but for now, I'm just gonna stick to what I'm decent with. Maybe when/if I get really good, I'll do better with shoto's.

How are you loosing when you're Ryu? Do you find ample opportunitiese to land all the BnB combos?

Haha, I love these Giefs in G2. Usually they are so easy. I just perfected one in the final. They just lariat their way to the final and I pick them off with my headbutt and jab. :lol

Won

Level 8 Boss said:
Need to look at Rufus and his Ultra set ups, the only one I know is FADC Messiah kick.

You should look up which of Rufus moves don't go into ultra. That list would be much shorter. :lol

Top Bottom