• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Level 8 Boss said:
That's the impression I get, everyone knows that Abel's ultra goes through projectiles and no one is stupid enough to use one once Abel has an Ultra stocked.

I AM!

but then I'm retarded enough to straight blanka ball at everyone when they ultra stocked as well. Getting better at watching the meter now since rose taught me to 'never jump' if she has ultra. seriously, her ultra is NUTS.

Rocky_Balboa said:
Haha, I love these Giefs in G2. Usually they are so easy. I just perfected one in the final. They just lariat their way to the final and I pick them off with my headbutt and jab. :lol

Again Zangief in the final. This time I got some hate mail too. He was complaining that I was too defensive ;)

Edit: G2-C!!!!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Rocky_Balboa said:
Again Zangief in the final. This time I got some hate mail too. He was complaining that I was too defensive ;)
bahahaha.

'come over here and let me throw you next time'

Rotanibor

Level 8 Boss said:
MK - hado is something you'll need to do in your sleep.

So, I've been playing a bit more Ryu, and once in a while I try to do Mk > Hadouken, and end up with MK > Shoryuken. After going over things in training mode for a while, I realized it was from when I walk towards the opponent and do the combo. I guess it is counting my walking forwards as part of the button imput for the shoryuken.

Is there a reliable way to get around this not happening? I end up really left open due to randomly throwing out shoryukens because of this.

TimeKillr

Level 8 Boss said:
OK I think it's time to learn a new character as I won't be able to improve much more on a stock 360 pad (damn you Madcatz).

I can't decide between Abel and Rufus. I'm leaning towards Abel but am worried that he doesn't have a reliable anti-air, and I don't know his FADC combos.

Who should I go for, and any advice.

Abel and Rufus are my 2 mains. :)

Abel was my first main and still the character I'm best with, but he has very serious drawbacks. Most notably a lack of a reliable anti-air. If you're good with applying pressure you should be good with Abel.

Rufus is a different beast - his whole gameplay revolves around landing his Ultra off just about anything. :)

A few Ultra setups, just off the top of my head:

1- lk -> rh -> Ultra
2- j.rh -> Ultra
3- j.rh -> EX snake -> Ultra (corner only against some people. heh)
4- f.Galactic Tornado -> Ultra (corner only)
5- EX Messiah -> lk followup -> FADC -> Ultra

The fun thing with that is that lk -> rh and EX Messiah are SO INCREDIBLY easy to land that you'll almost always pull off an ultra in any given round. lk comes out very quick and can be used to easily punish just about anything.

Another thing to note (since I've seen you mention it) is that you should never rely on Abel mk crossup -> c.hp. There are a LOT of problems with that, unfortunately. If you do the crossup too soon, your opponent will recover before the first hit of the c.hp hits. On a lot of characters, the c.hp will only hit once (especially if they're crouching). It's not incredibly reliable, especially online where you'll be SRKed/SPDed out of it quite often :(

He does have a few things going for him though.

1- His ultra does MASSIVE damage, especially on a non-combo hit.
2- His Super is godlike (LP super is hit invulnerable, MP super is throw invulnerable)
3- Relatively easy for combos into CoD
4- Many traps, ways to apply pressure
5- Wheel Kick is a great way to keep players at bay and to outpoke turtles
6- Jab tornado throw beats ANY throw in the game, including Gief's Ultra. It also has great range and general priority. I love fighting Balrogs now since any time they do a non-short dash punch they get TTed. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. If I see a EX rush, TT. If I see a normal rush that goes further than midscreen, TT. It's that simple and very easy to do on reaction.

YakiSOBA

I have a very basic "street fighter" question:

Could someone tell me what counters what? ie: if someone jumps at me with a hard kick, and i jump at them at the same time... does a light kick hit first? I need the breakdown!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
_dementia said:
FA, dash in and throw or just TAP is what I do
You probably already know but there is a GAF user named dementia.
I was like @___@ when i saw his posts.

Jirotrom

_dementia said:
FA, dash in and throw or just TAP is what I do
FA... whats that mean, when i TAP it sets me too far from him to punish, i need to be able to dodge or attack the barcelona attack so i can quikly counter the miss.

LakeEarth

YakiSOBA said:
I have a very basic "street fighter" question:

Could someone tell me what counters what? ie: if someone jumps at me with a hard kick, and i jump at them at the same time... does a light kick hit first? I need the breakdown!
Priority (what beats what) is completely character/move dependent.

Fersis said:
You probably already know but there is a GAF user named dementia.
I was like @___@ when i saw his posts.
Yeah

Can you request username changes here?

Jirotrom said:
FA... whats that mean, when i TAP it sets me too far from him to punish, i need to be able to dodge or attack the barcelona attack so i can quikly counter the miss.
It's short for Focus Attack

"You should be zoning with Bison so that you can s.rh as an anti air if you need. Bison has such a good pressure game in SF4."

s.rh trades (or flat out loses) for me so often when I use it as AA, but I guess I'll chalk that up to poor spacing on my part.

Jason

TimeKillr said:

Abel was my first main and still the character I'm best with, but he has very serious drawbacks. Most notably a lack of a reliable anti-air. If you're good with applying pressure you should be good with Abel.

Rufus is a different beast - his whole gameplay revolves around landing his Ultra off just about anything. :)

1- lk -> rh -> Ultra
2- j.rh -> Ultra

I usually add in a Fragrance Palm after the rh. :D

I'm useless with the FADC, though. EX snake comes out instead of the ultra. :(

last night, online was pretty bare,
I fought the same guy twice in the same tourny
I went with a long time without an opponent that they guy I beat in match 1 had enough time to fo fight 2 others and then meet me at the Finals of the same series

then he emails me ''I think we are the only people online''

LOL

Rotanibor Eht said:
So, I've been playing a bit more Ryu, and once in a while I try to do Mk > Hadouken, and end up with MK > Shoryuken. After going over things in training mode for a while, I realized it was from when I walk towards the opponent and do the combo. I guess it is counting my walking forwards as part of the button imput for the shoryuken.

Is there a reliable way to get around this not happening? I end up really left open due to randomly throwing out shoryukens because of this.

There's a srk shortcut now, down-towards x2 and punch which messes a lot of people up. The way I do this combo is to ensure that my thumb is at the towards part of the controller before pressing punch. So instead of down towards MK down, down towards punch I go down towards MK, down, down towards, forward - punch.

I didn't explain that very well, but hopefully you understand me.

TimeKillr said:

1- lk -> rh -> Ultra
2- j.rh -> Ultra

The fun thing with that is that lk -> rh and EX Messiah are SO INCREDIBLY easy to land that you'll almost always pull off an ultra in any given round. lk comes out very quick and can be used to easily punish just about anything.

Another thing to note (since I've seen you mention it) is that you should never rely on Abel mk crossup -> c.hp. There are a LOT of problems with that, unfortunately. If you do the crossup too soon, your opponent will recover before the first hit of the c.hp hits. On a lot of characters, the c.hp will only hit once (especially if they're crouching). It's not incredibly reliable, especially online where you'll be SRKed/SPDed out of it quite often :(

He does have a few things going for him though.

1- His ultra does MASSIVE damage, especially on a non-combo hit.
2- His Super is godlike (LP super is hit invulnerable, MP super is throw invulnerable)
3- Relatively easy for combos into CoD
4- Many traps, ways to apply pressure
5- Wheel Kick is a great way to keep players at bay and to outpoke turtles
6- Jab tornado throw beats ANY throw in the game, including Gief's Ultra. It also has great range and general priority. I love fighting Balrogs now since any time they do a non-short dash punch they get TTed. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. If I see a EX rush, TT. If I see a normal rush that goes further than midscreen, TT. It's that simple and very easy to do on reaction.

Thanks for this man, I only thought Sagat could ultra off of a normal. I'm leaning towards Abel at the time being, but will probably start learning them both.

_dementia said:
Actually it's been around a while. For sure it was that way in Alpha 3 and SFIII 3rd Strike.

I think it was introduced in 3rd Strike, don't recall it in Alpha 3, but then again, I haven't chucked that on in ages.

Rocky_Balboa said:

Edit: G2-C!!!!

haha, same here. I perfected a Gief in the second round and I won the match...and he sent me a hate message calling me a big fat pussy :lol

Won

I start to believe that the fighting community doesn't like playing fighting games. Sooooo much running away. :/

Akuma players also lost some more brain cells the last few days. One guy just did roundhouse over and over...and another did his warp thing everytime on wake-up....despite me waiting with Fuerte on the other end ready to punish over and over. o_O

Won said:
I start to believe that the fighting community doesn't like playing fighting games. Sooooo much running away. :/

Akuma players also lost some more brain cells the last few days. One guy just did roundhouse over and over...and another did his warp thing everytime on wake-up....despite me waiting with Fuerte on the other end ready to punish over and over. o_O

I love those matches :lol Nothing like someone putting themselves in a corner FOR me lol. It's unbelievable how fast those games turn into combo videos :D

Chorazin

Won a Championship last night where I fought three Kens in a row, each of them worse than the last. I have no frigging clue how the final Ken beat anyone, let alone two other opponents.

Although, fighting runaway Kens online gets annoying as Balrog when you are trying to time the TAP to go through fireballs and the lag bones you. :(

LakeEarth

TimeKillr said:
But it's an Ultra.
True, the best non-ultra anti-air is still the SRK.

But in total, her Ultra is the best anti-air. Doesn't matter if you're foot is going to hit Rose long before you touch the ground, or going to stomp on her head and thus never even landing in front of her. The shamwow has somehow wrapped around your hand.

TimeKillr said:
But it's an Ultra.

I think he means her little move that sends her to the air and let's her air throw anyone she comes into contact with. That move has crazy priority and it basically forced me to stop jumping versus this one Rose I played.

Whoops nevermind guess he didn't mean that. Still an annoying move though -_-

logged on today to see my GP finally synched with the server! had to start at 2,7k and made it up to 3,3k pretty fast. thats the first time in 3 days.

lets see if it lets me improve further...........

TimeKillr

myDingling said:
I think he means her little move that sends her to the air and let's her air throw anyone she comes into contact with. That move has crazy priority and it basically forced me to stop jumping versus this one Rose I played.

Whoops nevermind guess he didn't mean that. Still an annoying move though -_-

The Soul Throw?

It's a horrible, HORRIBLE move. It actually has no priority whatsoever.

You have to psychic Soul Throws for it to be any useful.

Jirotrom said:
im thinking of learning rose, because shes apparently the lowest on the tier list.

Rose is actually really easy to learn and be competent with. Easy ass crossup, quick pokes with range that tend to be safe, nice fireball, nice dash, nice throw range, really easy bnb combos.

I'm not joking when I say that you can probably get a good feel for her in about an hour.

She's very effective at beginner and intermediate levels. Once you start playing people that understand footsies and zoning though, you'll have a very hard time winning.

LakeEarth said:
True, the best non-ultra anti-air is still the SRK.

Tiger Uppercut says hi! Unless you're including that move in the SRK family.

So anyone going to EVO?

I may book my tickets in the next few weeks and book a room.

I wouldn't mind splitting a room with someone.. Goes to $40.00 a night on weekends and $20 on any other day.

TurtleSnatcher said:
So anyone going to EVO?

I may book my tickets in the next few weeks and book a room.

I wouldn't mind splitting a room with someone.. Goes to $40.00 a night on weekends and $20 on any other day.

I'm probably going to go but won't be 100% sure until about 2 weeks from now.

Ferrio

Banned
FindMyFarms said:
Rose is actually really easy to learn and be competent with. Easy ass crossup, quick pokes with range that tend to be safe, nice fireball, nice dash, nice throw range, really easy bnb combos.

What? Her fireball sucks ass. `

Dartastic

I have to ask; how shitty ARE the standard SF4 sticks? Gamestop FINALLY got one in, and I'm thinking of swinging by to pick it up instead of waiting for the TE stick. Help me, GAF.

Top Bottom