• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

LowParry

I was all over TS tourny. So many people slow to respond with the fights and blah. It did star out pretty fast though then just died out by the looks of it. I thought it was ran just fine. But seriously it's not done with yet?

hobart said:
Working with the new stick... thanks again for the tips. Watching the input list really really helps giving me an excellent idea of how far I need to move the stick in order to get the appropriate input. The next thing for me now is simply familiarity and practice -- not too simple actually.

I'm having an issue of understanding canceling. For example, with Sagat, I wanna do his c.lk, c.lk, c.lp cancel hp.tiger uppercut. I don't know how to CANCEL there. Is it a mere dash forward? Something else?

You just have to hit the TU fast enough for it to cancel the normal move.

Vdragoon

hobart said:
Working with the new stick... thanks again for the tips. Watching the input list really really helps giving me an excellent idea of how far I need to move the stick in order to get the appropriate input. The next thing for me now is simply familiarity and practice -- not too simple actually.

I'm having an issue of understanding canceling. For example, with Sagat, I wanna do his c.lk, c.lk, c.lp cancel hp.tiger uppercut. I don't know how to CANCEL there. Is it a mere dash forward? Something else?

Also on a sidenote... I can't play on PSN for anything. Like, at all. I'm not sure if it's me (I don't think it is... my Xbox worked wonderfully... my computers all work perfectly)... but I can't FIND games... and when I did a handful of times... It wasn't even playable.

Is there something I should do to the PS3 to help me get a better connection? Is it PSN? Help!

Cancelling does not mean dashing forward or anything lol. Just input the command fast enough after c.lp.

Duke Togo

I played a guy last night with a 9% disconnect rate. I was shocked that he didn't ragequit on me! That was easily the highest disconnect % I've seen so far...how about you guys?

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Duke Togo said:
I played a guy last night with a 9% disconnect rate. I was shocked that he didn't ragequit on me! That was easily the highest disconnect % I've seen so far...how about you guys?
I have a disconnect ratio of 5% but have never quit a game, I wouldn't put too much faith in the disconnect ratios, Capcom have fucked something up. I'm playing the PS3 version, I don't know if the 360 version has the same issue.

hobart said:
Also on a sidenote... I can't play on PSN for anything. Like, at all. I'm not sure if it's me (I don't think it is... my Xbox worked wonderfully... my computers all work perfectly)... but I can't FIND games... and when I did a handful of times... It wasn't even playable.

Is there something I should do to the PS3 to help me get a better connection? Is it PSN? Help!

thats weird. just go into championship mode and let it search for "grade" and you should find plenty. dont forget to refresh your list if you cant find good connections.

joined somebody with 14%, but quickly left the lobby after i noticed.

Jason

Duke Togo said:

I played a 6% and he promptly quit halfway through the first round. :lol

I'm at 1% due to PSN shenanigans. :(

toneroni

_dementia said:
The blame falls solely on the participants. You did well.
Yeah you did a great job Turtle..even offered some nice prizes!
It's tough organizing large internet based tourneys.

Wish i entered in time...would just get stomped but it woulda been fun :lol

Rummy Bunnz said:
Fuck, I forgot they renamed her drill. Cannon Drill is a much better name! It's pretty much always a mistake to use it outside of a combo or as punishment. It's so unsafe. Though I use it a ton anyway. Too many leftover HDR habits!

I don't know. I like to use naked LK spiral arrow to bait opponents. The recovery time on it is pretty decent and it doesn't travel anywhere near as far as MK/HK so you can easily make people think you're going full screen and have them DP or Throw and then punish that.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I finally got to G2 and won my first ever G2 tournament! But I only got 104 gp :(

where can I find the list of how many gp it takes to level up?

iam220

Yeah, you don't get a lot but alt least you get ~50 GP for runner up.

I know that G2-D is at 3000GP after that i'm not sure.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
gen looks scary. I sort of like it that ken/ryu are so popular. because then you occasionally come across something like this and realise you need to learn the game all over again :lol

I love SFIV it hurts so bad that my shitty ex2 sticks broke on the same weekend, the SE editions for 360 are sold out and my parts from lizard lick are about 2 months behind on back orders.

I WILL not start learning with a standard x360 pad. EVER.

Stantron

Timedog said:
Go to Player Data (or whatever it's called), there is a new option called championship mode that lists your highest CP per bracket and also how many times you won first/second place. Press A (or X for PS3) and it will list the results of your last 30 championship tournys. Pretty cool. It shows you the gamertag/character/CP of the people you beat or lost to.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
I made it to G2 earlier on today. It's serious business, I'm getting whipped mostly:lol
I just won my first G2 tournament against a scrubby Gouken, he ate all kinds of crap while trying desperately to throw me for the easy ultra.

Shito

prodystopian said:
ATTN MIMIC (or anyone that did Chun's last trial):

Any tips?
As you probably have guessed, first half and second half are easy: the problem lies in the FA.
What you want is a lvl2 FA, and for that you need to get the timing right: train chaining the EX kikoken to a FA.2, and above all don't try and mash it! You need to release the buttons as soon as you see the flashing aura meaning your FA is ready for a crumple!
The flying combo to ultra should be easy business.
Godspeed! ^^

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Not a lot of middle ground in G2. Either I get smashed, or I'll end up fighting a flowchart shoto (who invariably has more points them me somehow) who then calls me a "NooB" after I knee them in the crotch 50x while they try to jump in.

Also fought a Boxer who refused to ever move forward. Spent the entire match jumping fireballs and crouching. (The crouching I kinda understood except they never did a single headbutt...)

FindMyFarms said:
Rummy, have more faith in you character!
OK, the way you describe the TK strike tactic makes much more sense to me now.

I have faith in her but winning against turtles requires a style of play I really don't enjoy. She may be able to beat them with a lot of work but fuck, I am not playing this game to work. I am playing it to kick dudes in the face until they're knocked out. I'd like to be able to do that without spending 75% of the match dancing around, hoping a turtle falls for the bait.

myDingling said:
I don't know. I like to use naked LK spiral arrow to bait opponents. The recovery time on it is pretty decent and it doesn't travel anywhere near as far as MK/HK so you can easily make people think you're going full screen and have them DP or Throw and then punish that.
Yeah, I use it to bait too but it's gotten me hurt a few times. The move just isn't safe on block, which is the big problem with Cammy specials.

Shito said:
As you probably have guessed, first half and second half are easy: the problem lies in the FA.
What you want is a lvl2 FA, and for that you need to get the timing right: train chaining the EX kikoken to a FA.2, and above all don't try and mash it! You need to release the buttons as soon as you see the flashing aura meaning your FA is ready for a crumple!
The flying combo to ultra should be easy business.
Godspeed! ^^

How do I chain them? I've gotten the FA to hit, but I can't seem to get the kick to connect after that. Do I need to do any dashing?

Shito

prodystopian said:
How do I chain them? I've gotten the FA to hit, but I can't seem to get the kick to connect after that. Do I need to do any dashing?
Yes, you need to cancel the FA into a dash after it hits, and quickly follow with the kick.

GhaleonQ

Rummy Bunnz said:
Fuck, I forgot they renamed her drill. Cannon Drill is a much better name! It's pretty much always a mistake to use it outside of a combo or as punishment. It's so unsafe. Though I use it a ton anyway. Too many leftover HDR habits!

*laughs* You and me both. I play a lot of fighting games, and for me, personally, I've never had to change my tactics so much for any of my 3 favorite characters. I don't like to settle into the way most people play anyway (to my detriment), but you almost have to conform to play well with Cammy.

"Guys! G-Guys! We found something that doesn't suck! Come, quickly!"

Threi

notag
made it to g2 finally, beat my first opponent in it (had the same GP as me), and then lost to a guile with 4k GP. It was extremely close though and at least i can say i got a dizzy in the second round.

I just wanted to get out of G3 though so im happy. :D

Timedog said:
I finally got to G2 and won my first ever G2 tournament! But I only got 104 gp :(

where can I find the list of how many gp it takes to level up?
G1 is 15000 GP I think. Usually you get about 105GP if you win in G2. I think the most I've gotten is 106 or 108 GPs.

MIMIC

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Fixt :p

But really.. zomg I need it.

:lol I was LITERALLY in the middle of making the video when my friends call me and reminded me that today is Friday (aka. lets hang out before we get drunk).

I'll see if I can have the video up by tomorrow. And it might me kinda short...maybe around 4 or 5 minutes since I never got around to getting a new memory stick for my digital camera. But Imma try make it as detailed as possible....or get a new memory stick...whichever comes first :)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
the comp in g2 is awesome. I've only had 1 super bad matchup where I perfected and almost perfected 2nd round out of about 30 matches. Hard to find openings to play offensively though cause you get punished so much.

I'm the best SF IV player on the west coast.

MIMIC said:
:lol I was LITERALLY in the middle of making the video when my friends call me and reminded me that today is Friday (aka. lets hang out before we get drunk).

I'll see if I can have the video up by tomorrow. And it might me kinda short...maybe around 4 or 5 minutes since I never got around to getting a new memory stick for my digital camera. But Imma try make it as detailed as possible....or get a new memory stick...whichever comes first :)
4-5 mins is already 4.5 mins better then the other crap out there!

I saw a 17% the other day. I should have broken out my camera to take a pic for that wall of shame blog. I kicked his ass out of my lobby too fast before thinking of it though.

MicVlad, I spotted your replay against that Sagat. Pretty awesome stuff. Good job. I've been having some problems against that one sometimes. :(

If I were to run a new online tourney for GAF would there be interest?

Here's an idea I was toying with.

*The tourney is run as a one-day event. It will be like you are going to a real tourney. Everybody gathers together on the same day for the entire tourney matches. Here's the sequence of events I envision:

1)Everybody would be required to have access to a chat program designated by the organizer (this case me). This chat program will be the equivalent of everybody arriving at the tourney and entering the event room. It will be used to communicate with the organizer (to get your matches and report results) and to talk smack/chat/recap with other players, just like milling around in the event room between matches.
2) Like a real tourney there will be a pre-registration timeframe before the tourney starts. All players arrive in the chat room and report to the organizer.
3) The organizer makes the bracket using tourney software and posts a pic of the bracket for all players to see.
4) All players go to round 1 matches. Players use the chat software to talk between each other if they are not already online on the console's network to say "hey, I'm turning my system on, send me an invite", etc.
5) All players report results in the chat room to organizer as matches finish and then they are free to mill around until the next round.
6) Once all matches are finished and reported, an updated pic of the bracket is displayed.
7) All players go to round 2.
8) Rinse and repeat until finished.

The benefits of this:

*The tourney is done in one day. It will be something like a real tourney, only without being there live.
*Becasue you are not there live, you can play in your underwear. I don't care. No webcams allowed. :D
*The chat program allows for not only instant communication between players and between players and organizer, but it will be a great way to chat it up with all the other players between matches for fun.
*Between matches you can do whatever you want. minimize and browse the net, play other games, feed your cat, I don't care.

Just throwing it out there. I have a lot of free time to think about random stuff at work and thought this could work well for an online tourney.

Edit: No disrespect to TurtleSnatcher with this post intended. I played in the SF2 HD Remix tourney GAF had and it was horribly, horribly slow. You did your part and it was up to the players. I don't even know if the HD Remix one even ever finished. :lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)

*The tourney is run as a one-day event. It will be like you are going to a real tourney. Everybody gathers together on the same day for the entire tourney matches. Here's the sequence of events I envision:

1)Everybody would be required to have access to a chat program designated by the organizer (this case me). This chat program will be the equivalent of everybody arriving at the tourney and entering the event room. It will be used to communicate with the organizer (to get your matches and report results) and to talk smack/chat/recap with other players, just like milling around in the event room between matches.

A chat program like....uhh, GAF maybe????

Threi

notag
damn i don't think i will be uploading a replay ever again :lol . I canceled one replay because it wasn't a real good win, but i gained the most points from it.

oh well :lol

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
s2a049.jpg

why didn't I advance to G2 with that win? I don't understand the point system. I thought that CP were acquired by beating opponents and added to the total pot for the winner to take in the form of GP. But my GP fluctuates wildly and is seemingly random. I thought someone said you needed 2k GP to get into G2, but here I just won a tournament that gave me 4k CP, but for what? I've won the tournament why give me more CP? And only give me 90 GP? blarrg. This system is either fucked up or overly complicated.

edit: THE FUCK now it says the previous match didn't conclude properly and I have to start over. ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
ck you capcom

Brobzoid

Threi said:
GP =/= CP

you need 2K GP to get into G2, CP just determines how much GP you get at the end of tournaments.
And there is a ceiling for that? There were 4k CP in the pot and I got 90 GP, that doesn't seem like the best turn over in my opinion. Fuck this mode. Going back to player matches.....

2) Like a real tourney there will be a pre-registration timeframe before the tourney starts. All players arrive in the chat room and report to the organizer.
3) The organizer makes the bracket using tourney software and posts a pic of the bracket for all players to see.
4) All players go to round 1 matches. Players use the chat software to talk between each other if they are not already online on the console's network to say "hey, I'm turning my system on, send me an invite", etc.
5) All players report results in the chat room to organizer as matches finish and then they are free to mill around until the next round.
6) Once all matches are finished and reported, an updated pic of the bracket is displayed.
7) All players go to round 2.
8) Rinse and repeat until finished.

The benefits of this:

*The tourney is done in one day. It will be something like a real tourney, only without being there live.
*Becasue you are not there live, you can play in your underwear. I don't care. No webcams allowed. :D
*The chat program allows for not only instant communication between players and between players and organizer, but it will be a great way to chat it up with all the other players between matches for fun.
*Between matches you can do whatever you want. minimize and browse the net, play other games, feed your cat, I don't care.

Just throwing it out there. I have a lot of free time to think about random stuff at work and thought this could work well for an online tourney.

Edit: No disrespect to TurtleSnatcher with this post intended. I played in the SF2 HD Remix tourney GAF had and it was horribly, horribly slow. You did your part and it was up to the players. I don't even know if the HD Remix one even ever finished. :lol

Just so you know, Ploid and I are already running a GAF 3on3 team tourney on PSN. We use the PSN chat program. Are you trying to start an xbl or psn tourney? If PSN, you'd have a lot of willing participants(including myself), you'd just have to wait until this tourney is over.

The only difference between your tourney and the one we got going is every1 getting together at one time. Due to schedules,work, and differing timezones it's kind of hard to do. Maybe if the time and date was determined about 2 weeks ahead of time though we'd be able to get everyone together at one time, but still a big if.

Timedog said:
A chat program like....uhh, GAF maybe????

I mean realtime chat, not a message forum. Sorry for confusion.

FindMyFarms said:
Just so you know, Ploid and I are already running a GAF 3on3 team tourney on PSN. We use the PSN chat program. Are you trying to start an xbl or psn tourney? If PSN, you'd have a lot of willing participants, you'd just have to wait until this tourney is over.

The only difference between your tourney and the one we got going is every1 getting together at one time. Due to schedules,work, and differing timezones it's kind of hard to do. Maybe if the time and date was determined about 2 weeks ahead of time though we'd be able to get everyone together at one time, but still a big if.

I didn't know that.

I know that differing timezones and schedules are a problem with something like this, but I thought the idea of a more realtime tourney might be worth bringing up.

Like I said, I just wanted to throw the idea out there.

Of course it would work best if we had this planned at LEAST 2 weeks prior to start so that the maximum number of people can find out about it and possibly make it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, just threw the idea out there. Didn't consider 360 or PSN. Would like to do both if it worked well. One at a time though of course.

I thought it would be a cool option though... (shrug)

I mean realtime chat, not a message forum. Sorry for confusion.

I didn't know that.

I know that differing timezones and schedules are a problem with something like this, but I thought the idea of a more realtime tourney might be worth bringing up.

Like I said, I just wanted to throw the idea out there.

Of course it would work best if we had this planned at LEAST 2 weeks prior to start so that the maximum number of people can find out about it and possibly make it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, just threw the idea out there. Didn't consider 360 or PSN. Would like to do both if it worked well. One at a time though of course.

I thought it would be a cool option though... (shrug)

It's all good. PSN makes things a LOT easier since you have an in game chat client.

Realtime tourney sounds nice to me.

Threi said:
GP =/= CP

you need 2K GP to get into G2, CP just determines how much GP you get at the end of tournaments.

Does anyone know wtf CP are for? Winning that tourney with 10 CP he should have gotten ~90GP, no?

I can't seem to reverse engineer a formula for it.

prodystopian said:
Does anyone know wtf CP are for? Winning that tourney with 10 CP he should have gotten ~90GP, no?

CP just determines if you can upload a replay and that's it as far as I can tell. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

In order to upload a replay, you have to break your previous cp high score. So if you upload a replay after winning a tourney and getting 20k cp, you won't be able to upload another replay until winning a tourney with more than 20k cp. Keep in mind your cp resets after each tourney.

Zabka

prodystopian said:

It's for measuring your Street Fightin' wiener. It's the combined GP of everyone you've beaten, plus everyone they've beaten, and so on for that tournament. The more CP you get in a tournament, the tougher your opponents (supposedly).

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I dunno, G2 challenge is kinda fading for me. When I use one of my mains, anyway. At 5000gp, I think I still have a ways until I get to G1 :(

Brobzoid

FindMyFarms said:
CP just determines if you can upload a replay and that's it as far as I can tell. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

In order to upload a replay, you have to break your previous cp high score. So if you upload a replay after winning a tourney and getting 20k cp, you won't be able to upload another replay until winning a tourney with more than 20k cp. Keep in mind your cp resets after each tourney.
I don't think so. I wasn't able to upload a replay with this last tournament and I most certainly broke my previous CP record.

GG Rummy Bunnz! Your Cammy was SUBERB! ;)

I've seen you around many times earlier but I've always assumed it would be too laggy to play since I'm from Finland and usually there a lot of lag with US players. Luckily there wasn't that much latency so I think we will play again if I'll find you.

FindMyFarms said:

CP also effects on the amount of GP you will get from a tourney. The more you have CPs, the more you will get GPs. Although there isn't that much difference. Maybe in the G3 there is a bigger difference, but in G2 you get almost the same amount with 40k and 50k.

Also even if you break your CP record, it doesn't mean that you can upload a replay. You have to break your own record and be in the top5000 CP leaderboard. Then it offers the option to upload a replay. Or at least it should. I have had one case when it didn't work.

Rocky_Balboa said:
GG Rummy Bunnz! Your Cammy was SUBERB! ;)
She was amazing. The way she kept throwing out random specials and got punched out of the air thirty times and OH GOD there was so much shame. Stop beating me, GAF dudes!

I've seen you around many times earlier but I've always assumed it would be too laggy to play since I'm from Finland and usually there a lot of lag with US players. Luckily there wasn't that much latency so I think we will play again if I'll find you.
Finland rocks. It's gonna sound weak but there was some input lag on my end but it wasn't nearly enough to excuse my sad performance! So please come and pummel me again if I pop up. That goes for everyone! Unless you're gonna be a runaway Ryu. I've had enough of those today!

Top Bottom