• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

CO_Andy

_dementia said:
To this day I have not played one Championship match. Hell, I haven't even touched Ranked in a couple weeks. :(

Local play with friends on weekends is enough for me I guess
Of course playing with people next to you is the optimal way to play this game.

I miss the old HD Remix lobby days here on NeoGAF. Sure, it was the buggiest piece of shit that ever came from Capcom, but the atmosphere was far more enjoyable than facing no-names online.

Duke Togo

Talk to me about how you guys have your arcade sticks set up. Do you use them sitting down on a table in front of you? How high up do you have them (above or below waist level while sitting)? I can't seem to find a comfortable way to use an arcade stick, outside of standing at an arcade cabinet. :lol

Duke Togo said:
Talk to me about how you guys have your arcade sticks set up. Do you use them sitting down on a table in front of you? How high up do you have them (above or below waist level while sitting)? I can't seem to find a comfortable way to use an arcade stick, outside of standing at an arcade cabinet. :lol
Lap on console, standard desk keyboard height on PC. I much prefer playing sitting at my computer desk.

I need to see about getting a tv tray table or something.

Threi

notag
TomServo said:
I actually think I could get better at Ken if I followed that chart.
actually all of the individual tactics in that chart can be pretty effective if they are used at the right time, instead of completely random like flowcharters.

*edit*

Beat a 6000 (i think?) GP Gief in one of my G2 tourneys. Dizzied him twice :lol

Gief is a real asshole on a knockdown (his crossup is brutal), but if you stay on your feet you can hold your own.

Duke Togo

Lap seems to be the way to go! I dunno, I always liked having more leverage on the stick by standing up...I guess I'll just have to adapt. I've broken two Saturn pads now, so it would seem I'm destined to have to learn to play on a stick.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
So i just noticed the costume pack is up on US marketplace, but nowhere to be found in Europe.

Anyone know when it will be up ? If it ever will.

Won

Kandrick said:
So i just noticed the costume pack is up on US marketplace, but nowhere to be found in Europe.

Anyone know when it will be up ? If it ever will.

The costume packs went up on friday for EU as far as I remember.

That's what I meant. How do I get invited to the chatroom.

Once you're friends with GalacticAE on PSN, send him a message like this, "Hey galactic, I'd like to join gafchat, can you send me an invite." That wasn't too hard was it? :lol

PrivateRyan said:
Cammy's got a cross-up glitch vs Balrog (maybe some other characters too, haven't tested them all)

Jeez, it's like everyone has a crossup glitch against garlog. Fuerte can also cross him up w/ his slide in the corner.

esbern said:
went back a few pages and didn't see this posted, thought it was hilarious

There's the problem, you have to go back a few hundred pages ;)

CO_Andy

Duke Togo said:
Lap seems to be the way to go! I dunno, I always liked having more leverage on the stick by standing up...I guess I'll just have to adapt. I've broken two Saturn pads now, so it would seem I'm destined to have to learn to play on a stick.
Those broken Saturn pads wouldn't happen to be the knock-offs everyone is buying on eBay are they?

You could just buy a USB converter ya know that'll take authentic Saturn controllers. You can find one on Play-Asia.

myDingling said:
The first week was so painful. I even took my stick out for a second plugged my controller back in just to prove to myself I wasn't as bad as I was playing.

The second week was a little better. QCF wasn't super reliable yet though.

By third week I had gotten the hang of it and understand why sticks are good.
3 weeks? I may force myself to do that but then Ill never earn GP :( Wish I took the time when I was only doing player matches.. SIGH.

My biggest knack with sticks is SRK motions and QCF motions.. I can't get those on a stick. Charge characters no problem.

But doing an ultra or super on command is so hard.. takes precision and then I lose.

Also I don't know where to put my arcade stick.. I tried the lap method but I prob my legs up so half the time I'm crouching down far too much in the game and it screws up my controls.. :(

toneroni

TurtleSnatcher said:
3 weeks? I may force myself to do that but then Ill never earn GP :( Wish I took the time when I was only doing player matches.. SIGH.

My biggest knack with sticks is SRK motions and QCF motions.. I can't get those on a stick. Charge characters no problem.

But doing an ultra or super on command is so hard.. takes precision and then I lose.

Also I don't know where to put my arcade stick.. I tried the lap method but I prob my legs up so half the time I'm crouching down far too much in the game and it screws up my controls.. :(

i'm going bad to my pad for the championship mode..then when i hit a wall i'm gonna bust out the stick for player matches or something :D

3 weeks is really fast. I was an arcade player back then but still can't get the hang of it!

LakeEarth

Blanka's are pie now, while less than 2 weeks ago I would lose every match against him. Find your strategies, figure out how to get around his ultra, and win. Now I just need to do the same thing with Cammy's, she's the new character I automatically believe I'm going to lose against character.

I played against 2 good Fei Long's yesterday, where the hell did they come from?

And I desperately need the MadCatz pad, or some sort of better pad. I lost 3 matches last night by EX air grabbing and eating a fireball, instead of ultra-ing through it.

TurtleSnatcher said:

There's some shortcuts on the SRK motion in sf4 right? forward/down+forward/down+P/K. That's what Ive been using. I still can't get the motion by actually drawing it out like a Z. QCF comes out for me pretty consistently, finally though I think I ride the gate when I do it. Especially for Ultras.

Also, I play on a short stool like thing holding my stick. It's very sturdy and there's no movement whatsoever. Personally I would play holding it on my lap.

Took me forever to get competent on a stick. Even then I still feel more comfortable doing qcf's on a ps2 pad(my pad of choice btw, can't stand saturns) I mean, I can do qcf's just fine on a stick, I just can't do them with the split second quickness I can on a pad.

toneroni

FindMyFarms said:
Took me forever to get competent on a stick. Even then I still feel more comfortable doing qcf's on a ps2 pad(my pad of choice btw, can't stand saturns) I mean, I can do qcf's just fine on a stick, I just can't do them with the split second quickness I can on a pad.
damn and i'm a shoto whore =x

toneroni

Teknopathetic said:
Took me a long time to get to the point where I wasn't failing moves due to my incompetence on a stick. Like months.
u shoulda seen when i played micvlad...
His sim had me spazzing out...i had some hurricane kicks go straight up in the air for no reason! :lol

Threi

notag
got absolutely DESTROYED by a Gief (i'm talking 11-game losing streak, i hit and hit and hit and hit and one knockdown and im finished), completely sucked ass with bison (I still haven't pulled off one complete combo without screwing it up), and won a tourney for 60k worth (defeating a 14k GP Gen in the process) with Honda.

Strange day, i'm not done yet though

Vdragoon

FindMyFarms said:

Funny, I am quite the opposite. I can't react fast enough on the xbox analog, so I tend not to do srk when people in.

Won

I think my mind was just blown. Went online - championship mode.....and got 4 weird opponents in a row.

First round: A Ken...that decided to spam jab shoryuken and only jab shoryuken....only to waste his super without me even being close to him. And the ultras....maaaan.

Second round: A Ryu...jumping backwards was not cool enough for that guy, so he jumped backwards and did a tatsu in the air over and over. Again...his ultra was sooo wasted...hard to believe that a human being was behind that. (he had 5500 GP too, he probably plays a lot)

Third round: A Rose...well my first Rose in centuries. That alone makes it worth mentioning

Fourth round: A Zangief...got this after the game:

2wclmpd.png

Well I always get messages after Zangief games, (yeah I just beat your ass and you had no chance at all. Get over it) but even then I rarely perfect them both rounds. :lol
At least put some effort into your Zangief game, please!

Just wanted to throw that out, because that tournament didn't make sense at all. :lol
Now going back to get my ass handed to me, like it used to be.

Threi said:
got absolutely DESTROYED by a Gief (i'm talking 11-game losing streak, i hit and hit and hit and hit and one knockdown and im finished), completely sucked ass with bison (I still haven't pulled off one complete combo without screwing it up), and won a tourney for 60k worth (defeating a 14k GP Gen in the process) with Honda.

Strange day, i'm not done yet though

If you're getting caught into a nasty 50/50 with zangief after he knocks you down, remember that Ex psycho crusher is your get away for free card.

Won

TurtleSnatcher said:
Guess ill stick to a pad now.. Dont think I want to go through 3 months of hell of screwing up basic moves that I can do on a pad by blinking.

Man up! It is not that hard. At least not with Fuerte or Gen. :p

Also another silly tournament. Did the skill level drop a few levels over the night?

toneroni

TurtleSnatcher said:
Guess ill stick to a pad now.. Dont think I want to go through 3 months of hell of screwing up basic moves that I can do on a pad by blinking.
nooo give it a chance! when i get my 360 back we can do crappy stick battles :lol

Ugh I can't man up. If I do I will get frustrated and run back after 5 mins..

Maybe over the weekend Ill start.. but on weekdays time is precious after leaving the office. I must stay efficent on my GP Gain. Tonight I'm planning on hitting 5000 before stopping.. (At 4600)

Lost Fragment said:
GGs, C- Warrior. You may bitch about him, but your Vega is damned annoying :lol

You too.

I tell you, playing as Vega and getting pinned in the corner with your Viper and all her overheads and moves that come out so quickly is a death sentence. I still think your Gen is your best though, but you're making good progress on Viper.

My Vega can be tricky, but the problem is he doesn't match well with the shotos, since they can easily jump in and start crossing up and start throwing. And since Vega doesn't have an anti-air, that begins to create problems.

And that dragon punch is a bitch to get around when I'm doing off the wall attacks.

I just uploaded a replay, and it seems I'm one of the rare Vega's to actually win a G2 tournament, check it out -- you can see how a simple flowchart Ryu gives me so much trouble. I won, but it was ugly.

jdub03

I'm starting a dan army. I've been beasting on high level fools in championship mode. I haven't won a tourney with him yet but it sure is fun to try. The best thing to do is save your four bars for his super taunt. Then finish them with fireball cancelled into super taunt. They have to watch the whole thing. I never use his regular taunt but for some reason I get opponents who think they're godly after wooping my dan up and decide to taunt me. Oh well such is street fighter.

C- Warrior said:
You too.

I tell you, playing as Vega and getting pinned in the corner with your Viper and all her overheads and moves that come out so quickly is a death sentence. I still think your Gen is your best though, but you're making good progress on Viper.

My Vega can be tricky, but the problem is he doesn't match well with the shotos, since they can easily jump in and start crossing up and start throwing. And since Vega doesn't have an anti-air, that begins to create problems.

And that dragon punch is a bitch to get around when I'm doing off the wall attacks.

I just uploaded a replay, and it seems I'm one of the rare Vega's to actually win a G2 tournament, check it out -- you can see how a simple flowchart Ryu gives me so much trouble. I won, but it was ugly.

You on PSN? I won a handful of g2 tourneys w/ Vega last week on my friends ps3. No replays though :(

Won

TurtleSnatcher said:
Ugh I can't man up. If I do I will get frustrated and run back after 5 mins..

Maybe over the weekend Ill start.. but on weekdays time is precious after leaving the office. I must stay efficent on my GP Gain. Tonight I'm planning on hitting 5000 before stopping.. (At 4600)

I think you care a bit too much about GP. Abuse the fact that you don't lose points and try out new things, dammit!

:p

jdub03

If you really care about efficiency then becoming proficient with a stick is the best route to achieving that. Its an investment in time and patients but I think its well worth it in the end.

jdub03 said:
If you really care about efficiency then becoming proficient with a stick is the best route to achieving that. Its an investment in time and patients but I think its well worth it in the end.
When I have time..!

(Probably this weekend)

I think you shouldn't force yourself to learn stick if you don't like using one. The only reason I started using stick is so that I could play at arcades and wouldn't have to hassle people at group gatherings.

Outside of that, I think pad is just as good as stick. I was always able to do things that stick users could do, and most of the time, just flat out FASTER(like qcfx2). Hit confirming a SA3 with Ken off a cr. mk on reaction was nothing to me on a pad. Also, the best KoF player in America is a pad user.

Remember, it's a preference, not a requirement!

edit - this is all on ps2/3 pad, I can't stand xbox pads lol. Was never a big fan of saturn pads either, but I see why others would prefer them.

Calcaneus

Man, played quite a bit today. Getting a bit better (actually won more than few matches today). I feel like I'm gravitating towards Honda most of all, at least I get the most wins out of him.

But man, I need a better controller. I'm really tempted to just pick up a few gamepads.

FindMyFarms said:
I think you shouldn't force yourself to learn stick if you don't like using one. The only reason I started using stick is so that I could play at arcades and wouldn't have to hassle people at group gatherings.

Outside of that, I think pad is just as good as stick. I was always able to do things that stick users could do, and most of the time, just flat out FASTER(like qcfx2). Hit confirming a SA3 with Ken off a cr. mk on reaction was nothing to me on a pad. Also, the best KoF player in America is a pad user.

Remember, it's a preference, not a requirement!

edit - this is all on ps2/3 pad, I can't stand xbox pads lol. Was never a big fan of saturn pads either, but I see why others would prefer them.

I agree that you can definately play well with a pad. A stick is not necessary. However, I'll speak of my own experience here. I was a pad player for a while playing HD Remix and when I made the transition to stick, it was like relearning the game from scratch. However, if you give it a few days of playtime, you get over the hump. Now I can't imagine playing on a pad. It's just so much easier for your fingers to do button presses when there are six large buttons all spread out strategically versus playing finger-twister on a pad to do some button press combinations.

Arde5643

Calcaneus said:
Man, played quite a bit today. Getting a bit better (actually won more than few matches today). I feel like I'm gravitating towards Honda most of all, at least I get the most wins out of him.

But man, I need a better controller. I'm really tempted to just pick up a few gamepads.
Start learning cr.LP to HHS. This will enable you to not rely too much on charged headbutts and enable you to be more aggressive.
cr.LP has pretty good range and comes out pretty fast.

Here's an example of Honda using c.LP to HHS effectively: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Y3dfph0hE

LakeEarth

Anyone think Gen's alternate costume is a big disadvantage to use? His mask changes colour based on stance, which is way more easy to read then body positioning. When I see a red mask I'm ready for that damned roll.

Just played Championship mode on Live for the first time. It seems a bit easier to find competition. I was able to face an Abel, Claw, several Boxers, a litany of Dictator, a few Ryukenakuma and a Rufus.

I ran into one player who had a 5 percent disconnect rate. Before our match could begin, he disconnected. Guess he was trying to get the achievement.

Another match started to get weird. Though there was a signal going to my tv from the Xbox, the screen started to turn black intermittently and the game slowed down. I was like wtf! Was he causing some kind of vodoo?

Top Bottom