• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

So after a two week hiatus I decided to check out the new championship mode. I'm guessing all the good players moved to G2 or G1 already, because I just won 7 championships in a row and I'm on some redonkulous 49 game win streak lol. How many championships do you need to move into G2? I'm guessin 10?

Spiderjericho said:
Just played Championship mode on Live for the first time. It seems a bit easier to find competition. I was able to face an Abel, Claw, several Boxers, a litany of Dictator, a few Ryukenakuma and a Rufus.

I ran into one player who had a 5 percent disconnect rate. Before our match could begin, he disconnected. Guess he was trying to get the achievement.

Did you play me? Apharmd Striker.

Also, I think I had that guy too. He chose Sagat and he disconnected at the Vs. screen. I was worried I'd get hit with the drop %, thankfully I didn't. What achievement would you possibly get doing that lol.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Arpharmd B said:
So after a two week hiatus I decided to check out the new championship mode. I'm guessing all the good players moved to G2 or G1 already, because I just won 7 championships in a row and I'm on some redonkulous 49 game win streak lol. How many championships do you need to move into G2? I'm guessin 10?

Did you play me? Apharmd Striker.

Also, I think I had that guy too. He chose Sagat and he disconnected at the Vs. screen. I was worried I'd get hit with the drop %, thankfully I didn't.

I wouldn't assume that someone who drops at the VS screen is a quitter... more than likely something fubbed and you guys just got dropped before the match started.

To get into G2 you need to get over 2000GP IIRC.

Oichi said:
I wouldn't assume that someone who drops at the VS screen is a quitter... more than likely something fubbed and you guys just got dropped before the match started.

To get into G2 you need to get over 2000GP IIRC.

Yeah that's what I thought, dude above though mentioned he thought it was to get an achievement. What achievement? And it's weird it happened to both of us, so I guess his connection is just FUBR.

Ok sweet I'm ~1600 now.

Threi

notag
FindMyFarms said:
If you're getting caught into a nasty 50/50 with zangief after he knocks you down, remember that Ex psycho crusher is your get away for free card.
tried that, lariat beats it.

EX Devil's Reverse and fly away. Also, teleport. If he's going for his cross up splash your teleport should put you half (or full) screen away. If he's just standing in front of you and you're in the corner, EX devil's reverse.

Arpharmd B said:
Yeah that's what I thought, dude above though mentioned he thought it was to get an achievement. What achievement? And it's weird it happened to both of us, so I guess his connection is just FUBR.

Ok sweet I'm ~1600 now.

It was a joke for him disconnecting. And I don't think it was a coincidence that he had five percent disconnect and then dropped.

I bought space bucks to buy the all in one costume pack. I want a vagabond Ryu.

And I'm only at 500 GP so far. I really wish I could play more.

J.Wong and I should trade places. A military life would help him lose that gut.

Jason

I made it to my first (and probably only, lol) G2 finals. yay!
g2woo.jpg

Then I got smoked by Viper. :(
g2sadface.jpg

FindMyFarms said:
You on PSN? I won a handful of g2 tourneys w/ Vega last week on my friends ps3. No replays though :(

Nah. 360.

And what I mean is that, if you look at the leaderboards (new replays --> top) the only Vega's you'll see (rare occasion) are runner-ups. It honestly seems like I'm the few Vega's to actually win it all in G2.

haunts said:
MicVlad, this ones for you. lol

I would have never looked if you hadent of messaged me. LOL

Hey haunts, I wanted to play against you but your friends list is full. Delete some random dude still infatuated with RE5 or something.

hauntsxsl was it?

Edit: Wait a minute, you yourself do a bit of raining. I noticed you go a little crazy on your joy stick during Sagat's final animation uppercut of his Ultra. You know that doesn't do anymore damage right =p

Won

Hmm I'm a bit late to the party it seems, but it looks like Capcom added the rest (most of the western part at least) of Europe to the EU torunament thing.
And after taking a quick scan through the leaderboards it looks like I'm indeed in the top 30 for my bracket.

To sign up or not sign up, that is the question.

Threi

notag
the best taunts are short and sweet.

A personal favorite of mine is Abel's "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" taunt (#2) :lol

*edit* omg gief's english VO is awesome :lol

*makes a note to change it*

NOT BAD COMERADE

WEAK LIKE KITTEN

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
C- Warrior said:
Hey haunts, I wanted to play against you but your friends list is full. Delete some random dude still infatuated with RE5 or something.

hauntsxsl was it?

Edit: Wait a minute, you yourself do a bit of raining. I noticed you go a little crazy on your joy stick during Sagat's final animation uppercut of his Ultra. You know that doesn't do anymore damage right =p

Um I'm not gonna assume to know what haunts was doing, but I spin the joystick and push buttons all the time during ultras/supers, whether I'm being hit or hitting someone. It's just a way to keep your hand active when nothing is happening on the screen for me.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
C- Warrior said:

hauntsxsl was it?

HAH! I wish it did, for real.

Seriously there is not enough mash-elements in SFIV. Cant mash out of throws? Cant Mash ultras for more damage? Nooo!!

Oichi said:
Um I'm not gonna assume to know what haunts was doing, but I spin the joystick and push buttons all the time during ultras/supers, whether I'm being hit or hitting someone. It's just a way to keep your hand active when nothing is happening on the screen for me.

Yeah thats whats goin on - I usually spin the joystick like that before the round starts too.

DarkSloth

Well, my SF4 save file corrupted when the game froze while saving. Thankfully, I made a full backup of my ps3, for the first time, just yesterday. Turns out that the backup doesn't work. Gets to 99% and then tells me it couldn't finish. Truly heart breaking. I was going to post here, triumphantly, warning people to do backups.

LakeEarth said:
Anyone think Gen's alternate costume is a big disadvantage to use? His mask changes colour based on stance, which is way more easy to read then body positioning. When I see a red mask I'm ready for that damned roll.
His mask is a disadvantage I think

By the way.. if you see a red mask.. He can't roll.. So technically you have no idea what the difference is :p

Mantis - Red
Crane - Blue

Blue allows for wall jump and roll and Air Ultra/Super
Red allows for Hands and Gekiro and Ground Ultra/Super

Zabka

Arde5643 said:
Start learning cr.LP to HHS. This will enable you to not rely too much on charged headbutts and enable you to be more aggressive.
cr.LP has pretty good range and comes out pretty fast.

Here's an example of Honda using c.LP to HHS effectively: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Y3dfph0hE
I've been practicing this in Training mode for a while, and just started using it in matches. I actually think the best thing is that it helps build Super meter, which is absolutely necessary for Honda against certain characters.

YakiSOBA

To fellow stick users:

Do you physically press 3 punches/kicks, or do you press the extra 7th and 8th buttons on the far right (3P and 3K buttons) ?

Yes Boss!

Rummy Bunnz said:
It's a code you have to enter. I can't remember it off the top of my head and my internet is running reaaaal slow so I can't google it myself, so just search for "360 cache clear" and you should find it. I had the same issue numerous times and clearing the cache usually fixed it. I've had the same problem with SF4 and RE5. After the CE patch I had to delete and reinstall the install, then clear the cache to fix it.

Thanks man, worked! Now the save is only about 1-2 seconds. I've got about 100 XBLA games and played about another 100 retail games...must have been a clogged system.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
YakiSOBA said:
To fellow stick users:

Do you physically press 3 punches/kicks, or do you press the extra 7th and 8th buttons on the far right (3P and 3K buttons) ?
I press all 3. I find it hard to stretch my fingers really far.

YakiSOBA said:
To fellow stick users:

Used to use the 4th button for my KKK ultras but after playing at the arcade with 6 buttons and being forced to use that setup, I find myself using the regular three buttons. It kinda takes a bit to get used but I suggest you do since it's less real estate to manage on the stick and you're less likely to throw out a naked ultra...or not...

Also, today I ultra for a match win against a Dan as he did his ass slap taunt. Truly epic :D

Got up to G3A tonight on Live (versus G3B on PSN) and have 1100GP. Not much, but I'm happy with the little time I get to play the game. I ran into two rage quitters, which was wack. You should at least get points for when they drop.

And the competition does seem a bit more varied than in ranked. I fought a Gen, some Dictators, a Boxer, a few Claws, some Blankas, Ryus, even ran into a Gouken and Seth.

I used to think PSN was quicker to find a fight, but Live has seemed to speed up since the update.

Bought the costume pack. It seemed everyone else did too. Not really looking forward to buying it again on PSN (damn buying two copies).

haunts

Bacon of Hope
TurtleSnatcher said:
Haunts Im gonna send you a message on live.. and you will be forced to school my Fuerte!

(I also want to watch your replays when you get new ones up)

Ive saved my replays - I can upload them if you guys are interested, its just a lot of them are against pretty scrubby players and/or I do a lot of scrubby things myself. lol.

haunts said:
Ive saved my replays - I can upload them if you guys are interested, its just a lot of them are against pretty scrubby players and/or I do a lot of scrubby things myself. lol.

of course you should upload them. I plan on doing that with mine from now on!

Tonight I only got to 4762.. I started at 4500.. got tired wanted to practice RSF and watch Idol and Scrubs Finale.

Soon as I got on I won a championship then went on a losing streak for an hour or something.. Only got the the 2nd round at most then won another. Few Semis and a runner up mixed in. I should hit G2-C tomorrow at least.

I double perfected a Ken with 3900GP. It was awesome.

My Fuerte play is improving. Lev2 FA then Dashing into Ultra or Super is working well against people. 1 match I came from behind and got a L3 FA on someone because he thought the hit was out of range (It was on a Sagat as well). Got my ultra and won. Sweet success.

I now hate - Cammy, Blanka, Honda (ran into a lot today.. flavor of the month), Seth. I honestly don't mind Ryu, Ken, Sagat.. Been playing against them and know what to do.

Zangief is annoying but one of the better matchups for Fuerte I think.

Oh and I hate Chun because people just spam EX Legs and that stupid cross up thinking they are the technical shitwits. Also hate Balrog players since they all use the same fucking combo.

And Rage off.

jdub03

YakiSOBA said:
To fellow stick users:

I have the doa iv hori stick so I just hit the buttons. I think I like it that way anyway. I cant be bothered with two extra buttons. Six is enough.

Stantron

For those who are able to do Honda's c.LP (or st.LP) to HP HHS, what technique do you use to mash out 5 punch buttons for the HHS?

On a 360 stock controller, I've been trying LP (LeftBumper) > PPP (LeftTrigger) > mash HP (Y), though I'm not able to pull it off on demand yet. If I do LP > mash PPP and HP back and forth, I can get EX HHS to come out much more reliably, but that's not good to waste in most cases.

Against auto blocking Dan in Training mode, I notice that HHS is always blocked. Is that right, or is it supposed to link?

I assume stick users have some sort of piano method for this. :/

TurtleSnatcher said:
of course you should upload them. I plan on doing that with mine from now on!

Tonight I only got to 4762.. I started at 4500.. got tired wanted to practice RSF and watch Idol and Scrubs Finale.

Soon as I got on I won a championship then went on a losing streak for an hour or something.. Only got the the 2nd round at most then won another. Few Semis and a runner up mixed in. I should hit G2-C tomorrow at least.

I double perfected a Ken with 3900GP. It was awesome.

My Fuerte play is improving. Lev2 FA then Dashing into Ultra or Super is working well against people. 1 match I came from behind and got a L3 FA on someone because he thought the hit was out of range (It was on a Sagat as well). Got my ultra and won. Sweet success.

I now hate - Cammy, Blanka, Honda (ran into a lot today.. flavor of the month), Seth. I honestly don't mind Ryu, Ken, Sagat.. Been playing against them and know what to do.

Zangief is annoying but one of the better matchups for Fuerte I think.

Oh and I hate Chun because people just spam EX Legs and that stupid cross up thinking they are the technical shitwits. Also hate Balrog players since they all use the same fucking combo.

And Rage off.

I think by now you hate the entire SF IV cast.

Just to let you know though, El Fuerte is probably the most hated character. Regardless if I win or lose, I feel like I was brain fucked by a flag pole after a match with him. So annoying.

C- Warrior said:

Just to let you know though, El Fuerte is probably the most hated character. Regardless if I win or lose, I feel like I was brain fucked by a flag pole after a match with him. So annoying.

Oh cool, didn't know this was you :p

Flag-Pole-Man.jpg

C- Warrior said:

true, but its the same with vega. i hate running after those two.

YakiSOBA said:
To fellow stick users:

I press all three. i'm getting into tournaments (even though I'm not great...) and some don't allow you to use non-arcade setups (button mapping).

Besides its not difficult at all. I think it's more difficult to have 2 other buttons to think about for hand placement.

im using three buttons on my stick for ultras. it just took 1-2 days for me getting used to this method.

three bar connections suck for me lately. 30% of those games make punishing short recovery moves pretty much impossible, which is sad and unplayable for me.

ptown

When I have full Super meter and attempt an Ultra by manually pressing 3 buttons, I usually get the Super instead.

Sucks.

joaomgcd

C- Warrior said:
You too.

I tell you, playing as Vega and getting pinned in the corner with your Viper and all her overheads and moves that come out so quickly is a death sentence. I still think your Gen is your best though, but you're making good progress on Viper.

My Vega can be tricky, but the problem is he doesn't match well with the shotos, since they can easily jump in and start crossing up and start throwing. And since Vega doesn't have an anti-air, that begins to create problems.

And that dragon punch is a bitch to get around when I'm doing off the wall attacks.

I just uploaded a replay, and it seems I'm one of the rare Vega's to actually win a G2 tournament, check it out -- you can see how a simple flowchart Ryu gives me so much trouble. I won, but it was ugly.

Isn't the charge down-back -> foward + kick an anti-air?

Zabka

Stantron said:
For those who are able to do Honda's c.LP (or st.LP) to HP HHS, what technique do you use to mash out 5 punch buttons for the HHS?

On a 360 stock controller, I've been trying LP (LeftBumper) > PPP (LeftTrigger) > mash HP (Y), though I'm not able to pull it off on demand yet. If I do LP > mash PPP and HP back and forth, I can get EX HHS to come out much more reliably, but that's not good to waste in most cases.

Against auto blocking Dan in Training mode, I notice that HHS is always blocked. Is that right, or is it supposed to link?

I assume stick users have some sort of piano method for this. :/
It should link. I can't even imagine doing it on a pad.

On the stick I just hit LP (for the crouch jab), then HP->MP->LP->HP as quickly as I can.

Threi

notag
I don't use hhs alot, but for the brief time i tried chun if i had to link a punch into one of those moves i usually try jumping in or starting with a different move, pressing punch 3 times while doing it, then cr. lp and then hp for it to come out.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
fuck you england. Found a SE stick, costs around 30 euro to ship it to the netherlands. wtf. If we both stand on the waters edge he could just fucking throw it and I'd catch it and go home and play. DICKS.

Top Bottom