• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

BitchTits

Pop On Arrival said:
Once you get the damage lead, you should stop chasing run away akumas. Might be boring, but sure beats the shit out of getting frustrated.
I haven't come across that many run away Akumas, although they do usually stick to the jump back air fireball stuff. There are some players I've met though who I've had a lot of timeouts with or the timer has run right down because they run away and turtle, this annoys me as it takes FOREVER, and it's tiresome when they have it set to 3 rounds - I just give up at this point, 4 or 5 rounds of that takes a long time, I'd rather get on and play someone else.

I had a mirror match draw game last night with Abel, the last round ended in double KO, draw game! We were pretty evenly matched and I guess it showed!

TimeDog - The videos should be up tomorrow.. I'm uploading 30+ videos to my channel right now on YouTube including all our matches.

Ill post the link to my videos tomorrow so everyone can see. I plan on recording a whole lot from now on.

Tonight I won a Championship in G2 and got over 10,000 CP. :D Its the highest I've ever gotten and its the highest on my friends list! Take that Won! (Who will pass me the minute he wins one G1 tournament)

Also for anyone who wants to get use to a stick. I found a really good exercise. Go into training. Set Super/Ultra to Infinite and Stun to Off.. Then just do Ryu's FADC Ultra combo nonstop. I mean.. literally nonstop. You will begin to learn the QCF motions and Shoryuken motions really well. As well as the timing on that combo and the dashing on a stick.

Its got all the basics you need in that combo. I'm gonna start doing it 100 times on 1 side and 100 on the other every day for the next few weeks to learn and get use to it.

It has it all..

1) Shoryuken Motion
2) Dash forward or backward motion on a stick
3) QCF x 2 motion with Ultra
Bonus: You learn FADC timing etc.

BitchTits

I've got into a bad habit of doing the SRK shortcut on the stick. It's bad because I'll do it from neutral which means you're not blocking. I really should get out of that, I even use it for Dhalsim's teleports now.

ultim8p00 said:
I hate Akuma

Akuma has 800 life and takes damage like a bitch. Playing him the right way is running away and looking for openings. Anyone that rushes down with Akuma is either losing, or winning against someone way less skilled than them.

If you want an example of top play Akuma, look up Momochi from Japan. He plays really defensive and looks for really tiny openings while running away.

>>If you want to check out a rush down Akuma here's Ed Ma<<

Keep in mind the skill gap is pretty big there. Iron fist really isn't that good. It is very fun to watch though.

>>This here is Momochi's Akuma, the best in the world. He actually beats Daigo (the best Ryu player in the world) in this match.

That's what Akuma looks like when played the "right" way. When you're opponent is actually good and has a competent defense (Daigo is one of the best sf4 players in the world) there's no way you can rush down with Akuma due to his life disadvantage.

Timedog said:
If they test you on it then you can mix it up and when they pause then throw/jump away/go into block string/overhead blah blah blah whatever. It's just another rock paper scissors thing, it is not inherently a bad technique. Pausing to block the SRK isn't some be all end all measure that completely negates dp mashing, unless the dp masher never learns.

EDIT: FUCKING HELL. No one has answer this question, but is there lag time on blocking a cross up? I keep getting hit with crossups that I know I blocked in time. And I'm not talking about input lag.

Yeah that's true, you can mix it up. It's just that most people online are ALWAYS mashing, hence punishing them. They do it repeatedly even after punished. Even then, if you force them to pause and think about dp'ing an early stopped block string, then you have momentum and you can take the initiative.

Offline, no one's going to ever dp out of my blockstrings since I don't have to worry about lag. DP mashing strings is strictly an online tactic.

About blocking crossups, if you're blocking at the last second, then you won't block in time

LakeEarth

I disagree with saying Akuma should run away. He has a lot of offensive tools which make him great for rushdown. You just have to be careful.

LakeEarth said:
I disagree with saying Akuma should run away. He has a lot of offensive tools which make him great for rushdown. You just have to be careful.

Well, all the best Akuma players disagree with you :p

He has a lot of offensive tools, but most of his big damage comes off resets, which are pretty risky against someone with comparable defense. Taking risks with Akuma is also really hard due to his low life. Also with Akuma, his best defensive options are teleport and neutral/backjump firebal, naturally turning him into a runaway character. Guess wrong once with Akuma, especially against someone like Sagat or Gief, and you can kiss a third of your life bar good by.

Keep in mind though that this is only at TOP level game play (I mean we're talking Daigo and Momochi here.) At lower levels (like arcade infinity, or you and me, etc.) a rushdown akuma is definitely viable.

Hey guys

I just uploaded like 30 videos from last night.. Half of them are my matches vs TimeDog (Some are still uploading.. didn't think it took this long been going for 5+ hours now)

http://www.youtube.com/user/PezRadar

I <3 this new camera.. it rocks at recording.. Does great quality and is pretty simple since I have a remote control. My favorite are these 4 below.. (This was a full G2 Championship run that I scored 10k+ Championship points in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ7T8oRT2Wo&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxs5j80Il5Y&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG0w2IVPpvQ&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRxPNdJ5ljA&feature=channel_page

I suck hard in this game but that made me happy :p :lol

Won

TurtleSnatcher said:
Tonight I won a Championship in G2 and got over 10,000 CP. :D Its the highest I've ever gotten and its the highest on my friends list! Take that Won! (Who will pass me the minute he wins one G1 tournament).

I'm pretty sure you reach G1 before I win a tournament in there. :lol

Also nerf shoryukens into ultra/super!!!111

TurtleSnatcher said:
Hey guys

I just uploaded like 30 videos from last night.. Half of them are my matches vs TimeDog (Some are still uploading.. didn't think it took this long been going for 5+ hours now)

I <3 this new camera.. it rocks at recording.. Does great quality and is pretty simple since I have a remote control. My favorite are these 4 below.. (This was a full G2 Championship run that I scored 10k+ Championship points in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ7T8oRT2Wo&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxs5j80Il5Y&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG0w2IVPpvQ&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRxPNdJ5ljA&feature=channel_page

I suck hard in this game but that made me happy :p :lol

Wow good stuff man. It would be awesome if you could record sf4 matches at the T.I.T. tourney.

edit - timedog is chickeny dinner?

Won said:
I'm pretty sure you reach G1 before I win a tournament in there. :lol

Also nerf shoryukens into ultra/super!!!111
I've slowed down on Champ Edition until my own skill level levels out with the rest of the field.

Its slowly getting better.. I'm consistently getting to the 2nd and 3rd rounds now as of late.

FindMyFarms said:
Wow good stuff man. It would be awesome if you could record matches at the T.I.T. tourney.

I will.. I bet the TV's they will use will be shatty so they won't have AV Out capabilities and only have AV Inputs.. But I can do off screen if needed..

I will see.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I've slowed down on Champ Edition until my own skill level levels out with the rest of the field.

Its slowly getting better.. I'm consistently getting to the 2nd and 3rd rounds now as of late.

I will.. I bet the TV's they will use will be shatty so they won't have AV Out capabilities and only have AV Inputs.. But I can do off screen if needed..

I will see.

The tv I'm bringing is going to have an AV out, sdtv of course.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Yea has to be SDTV for me to do a direct feed like the videos in my youtube links were.. Thats the quality we will get.. which is good.

Ya I know, just saying you'll have at least one tv for direct feed.

Timedog said:
If they test you on it then you can mix it up and when they pause then throw/jump away/go into block string/overhead blah blah blah whatever. It's just another rock paper scissors thing, it is not inherently a bad technique. Pausing to block the SRK isn't some be all end all measure that completely negates dp mashing, unless the dp masher never learns.

EDIT: FUCKING HELL. No one has answer this question, but is there lag time on blocking a cross up? I keep getting hit with crossups that I know I blocked in time. And I'm not talking about input lag.

I consistently get fucked over by j.HK when I'm crouch blocking. I move the stick back to block but it rarely seems to work. So I'm inclined to believe that yes, there is massive lag on blocks.

FindMyFarms said:
Well, all the best Akuma players disagree with you :p

He has a lot of offensive tools, but most of his big damage comes off resets, which are pretty risky against someone with comparable defense. Taking risks with Akuma is also really hard due to his low life. Also with Akuma, his best defensive options are teleport and neutral/backjump firebal, naturally turning him into a runaway character. Guess wrong once with Akuma, especially against someone like Sagat or Gief, and you can kiss a third of your life bar good by.

Keep in mind though that this is only at TOP level game play (I mean we're talking Daigo and Momochi here.) At lower levels (like arcade infinity, or you and me, etc.) a rushdown akuma is definitely viable.

my favorite thing to do against Akuma is to not use my EX meter at all and save it for round 2.

Then if he foolishisly jumps in at me.... AA LP Headbutt super cancel into MP Super Headbutt ooooo look at that energy bar go down!!! ooohhh yeahh

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
sweet! WOW, i was throwing a lot of SRK's, LOL. I need to pay attention to when my opponent gets his ultra. That's probably my biggest problem in this game. If you have ultra and you're paying attention, you're probably going to hit me with it!

thanks turtlesnatcher.

@ FindMyFarms, yeah I'm chickeny winner, best on the west.

Halvie

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Also for anyone who wants to get use to a stick. I found a really good exercise. Go into training. Set Super/Ultra to Infinite and Stun to Off.. Then just do Ryu's FADC Ultra combo nonstop. I mean.. literally nonstop. You will begin to learn the QCF motions and Shoryuken motions really well. As well as the timing on that combo and the dashing on a stick.

Its got all the basics you need in that combo. I'm gonna start doing it 100 times on 1 side and 100 on the other every day for the next few weeks to learn and get use to it.

Not sure why, but I think doing Ryu's FADC is a ton harder on stick. Having trouble doing it slow enough to hit. I keep tossing the hado too early and overshoot the guy...however I think Ken's is a ton easier on stick...URGH

Halvie said:
Not sure why, but I think doing Ryu's FADC is a ton harder on stick. Having trouble doing it slow enough to hit. I keep tossing the hado too early and overshoot the guy...however I think Ken's is a ton easier on stick...URGH
Ken's you have to do it fast or else you will whiff.. so thats probably why you are finding it easier.. Ryu you have some time with.

I'm actually nailing Ryu's on a stick pretty okay.. haven't tried Ken yet but I have a feeling I will whiff his because you have to do it so slow.

I'm not even going to try Sagat.. I had issues with his on a pad already because his FA animation is so weird.. and he dashes so slow.

gutter_trash said:
my favorite thing to do against Akuma is to not use my EX meter at all and save it for round 2.

Then if he foolishisly jumps in at me.... AA LP Headbutt super cancel into MP Super Headbutt ooooo look at that energy bar go down!!! ooohhh yeahh

You're a mean mean man.

Halvie

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Ken's you have to do it fast or else you will whiff.. so thats probably why you are finding it easier.. Ryu you have some time with.

I'm actually nailing Ryu's on a stick pretty okay.. haven't tried Ken yet but I have a feeling I will whiff his because you have to do it so slow.

I'm not even going to try Sagat.. I had issues with his on a pad already because his FA animation is so weird.. and he dashes so slow.

Where does the guy usually land on the hado? Whenever I get it the guy is usually sitting right on top of it. On pad it is almost 100% in the middle of their chest.

Wish Ken's and Ryu's timing was switched..so much easier but Ken's does shit damage.

Imm0rt4l

Teknopathetic said:
"Right after that, I played a Gief player. Same old shit. Green hand -> throws etc. GAFs advice of jumping worked"

Don't listen to that advice. One more time, bolded and capitalized:

IF YOU BLOCK GREEN HAND YOU GET A FREE THROW/COMBO.

Don't pass up on free damage.
this, this a thousand times this.

Timedog said:
do air throws pretty much beat anything? how do you beat an air throw?

also, d00ds, critique my matches!

chickeny sinner

I thought you had to be 15k to get to G1?????

I don't mind critiquing, there's just a lot of videos lol. Link to one or two of em that you feel represent your abilities the best. Gotta get you ready for your Gootecks match!

Mr Jared

Hey, PSN players. If you're looking to meet some new competition, look to PlayStation Home this weekend. We're hosting the first of our weekly Street Fighter IV game launching gatherings this Saturday night. Here are the details-

unhxg.jpg

WHAT: A weekly Street Fighter IV game launching event
WHERE: The Mall, 1st Floor at the PlayStation Home logo
WHEN: Every Saturday from 8PM to 12AM PST

If you primarily play online through PlayStation Network, this is going to be a fantastic opportunity to meet new players, competition and build a bigger friends list. The first week or so will be simple gatherings, but should these prove to be popular we have plans to expand them to not only include special guests (beyond just your friends here at PlayStation Home), but contests, prizes and perhaps even a tournament. This will be our first true attempt a regularly occurring event, so we'll see how it goes and take it from there.

Hope to see you there!

HOW TO GAME LAUNCH STREET FIGHTER IV VIA PLAYSTATION HOME

Insert the Street Fighter IV game disc into your PlayStation 3. You can do this at any time, regardless of whether you're already in PlayStation Home or not.

- Once in your desired location, press Start to open the Main Menu

- Select "Game Launching"

- Selcet "Set Up Game"

- Select "Street Fighter IV"

- From here, confirm the session and close the window. You should now see "Street Fighter IV" floating above your head

To join someone else's game, simply walk up to their avatar, press X to select them and choose to join their game. It's just that easy!

Mr Jared said:
Hey, PSN players. If you're looking to meet some new competition, look to PlayStation Home this weekend. We're hosting the first of our weekly Street Fighter IV game launching gatherings this Saturday night. Here are the details-

unhxg.jpg

WHAT: A weekly Street Fighter IV game launching event
WHERE: The Mall, 1st Floor at the PlayStation Home logo
WHEN: Every Saturday from 8PM to 12AM PST

If you primarily play online through PlayStation Network, this is going to be a fantastic opportunity to meet new players, competition and build a bigger friends list. The first week or so will be simple gatherings, but should these prove to be popular we have plans to expand them to not only include special guests (beyond just your friends here at PlayStation Home), but contests, prizes and perhaps even a tournament. This will be our first true attempt a regularly occurring event, so we'll see how it goes and take it from there.

Hope to see you there!

HOW TO GAME LAUNCH STREET FIGHTER IV VIA PLAYSTATION HOME

Insert the Street Fighter IV game disc into your PlayStation 3. You can do this at any time, regardless of whether you're already in PlayStation Home or not.

- Once in your desired location, press Start to open the Main Menu

- Select "Game Launching"

- Selcet "Set Up Game"

- Select "Street Fighter IV"

- From here, confirm the session and close the window. You should now see "Street Fighter IV" floating above your head

To join someone else's game, simply walk up to their avatar, press X to select them and choose to join their game. It's just that easy!

Don't mean to be a debbie downer, but are you sure Saturday night would be the best time for this? Perhaps something a little earlier during the day? (like 2-6ish, afternoon)

YakiSOBA

Question for Sagat players:

What's the best thing to do when a ken/ryu whiffs a SRK on you? I am encountering this situation a LOT lately, where I'm blocking the whole srk... I tend to just throw, but am wondering if there's anything else I can be doing?

Is a whiffed srk a free combo-->ultra guaranteed?

Won

Timedog said:
I thought you had to be 15k to get to G1?????

You do, but a) you lose 5 points if you lose in ther first round and b) you can't downrank to G2 again.

So he got to G1 at had to lose at least 26 games without winning anything to have that number and be in G1.

YakiSOBA said:
Question for Sagat players:

What's the best thing to do when a ken/ryu whiffs a SRK on you? I am encountering this situation a LOT lately, where I'm blocking the whole srk... I tend to just throw, but am wondering if there's anything else I can be doing?

Is a whiffed srk a free combo-->ultra guaranteed?

cr. mk -> fp tiger uppercut

With ultra

-> if they wiff a lp dp, then do cr. mk xx fp TU xx fadc xx f. rh xx ultra
The cr. mk let's you hit confirm since the recovery time is going to be a lot faster.

-> if they whiff a fp srk, or ex, that means they'll be in the air for a while, so you can just throw the ultra out straight up. Save your ex meter for later.

Mr Jared

FindMyFarms said:
Don't mean to be a debbie downer, but are you sure Saturday night would be the best time for this? Perhaps something a little earlier during the day? (like 2-6ish, afternoon)

Pushing back the time a little may be a good idea, but Saturday night is definitely the way to go for us. Home is incredibly busy on weekend nights.

toneroni

Mr Jared said:
Pushing back the time a little may be a good idea, but Saturday night is definitely the way to go for us. Home is incredibly busy on weekend nights.
sounds like a good idea. Makes the game more social for some people

CPS2

Teknopathetic said:
"Right after that, I played a Gief player. Same old shit. Green hand -> throws etc. GAFs advice of jumping worked"

Don't listen to that advice. One more time, bolded and capitalized:

IF YOU BLOCK GREEN HAND YOU GET A FREE THROW/COMBO.

Don't pass up on free damage.

There was the dumbest topic on "ask Capcom" the other day, saying that Gief is broken due to being guaranteed a win after knocking someone down, and they were asking Capcom to nerf him in a patch. Some of the stuff they waste their time with...

Timedog said:
If you want ones that best represent my skills I guess I'll choose ones where I actually won...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2bDC3RNnV0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkE26FLF3W8

Not bad, I'd say to work on your footsies and zoning. Recognize when you're opponent is right outside of your cr. mk range. That's where you want to throw fireballs. Throw one, wait a bit see if they jump, punish. If not, continue. That's the range where they can't jump on reaction to FB's

Crossups -> Ryu has a great crossup, use it!

Off of your AA srk's, use ex hado instead of ex srk, it does more damage.

Can't comment on the matchups too much since I don't know Ryu v. Gen that much. Against Fuerte though use more FB's and mk tatsu's to control the ground. Once he gets jumpy unleash the srks. ELF's defensive options really aren't that great, if you can pressure him w/ rayoo 9/10 times you win the match.

Good work, I look forward to your showdown with Ed Ma.

Timedog said:
What exactly is wrong with mashing buttons when you're trying to do electricity? Isn't that how you do the move? I don't get it.

What is wrong with mashing DP when you're getting combo'ed?
It's one thing bashing a punch button like a normal person when you want the electricity to come at close range. It's an entirely different story if players like the aforementioned guy franatically press the punch buttons (not just one) even when they're not close enough for it to actually hit, chip damage or not. Probably because types like them don't think it can be easily punished.

Reminds me of a Sagat player I fought earlier. Had 7000 - 8000 GP or so (not sure anymore). Dude used the Turbo buttons and kept mashing out nothing but Tiger Knees and Tiger Uppercuts at random (literally). Once I realised he was actually serious about this being his only game plan, I kept instant-air teleporting behind him, block after my fierce punch connected and then grab him once he landed on the ground again. That's all I did and I loathe those kind of matches.

And FindMyArms already explained the Dragon Punch thing better than I would've.

gutter_trash said:

Grab jump / teleport happy Akuma, Yoga Catastrophe (Ultra) when he's down on the floor, wait for the reversal teleport, instant air-teleport right in front of him just before his teleport ends and then follow it up with a fierce punch + Super. So much fun when it lands.

MIMIC

Banned
Wow....decent Blankas are really difficult for my Guile. It's the throws that I'm having trouble anticipating. He's almost like Fuerte, where you have to do a lot of guessing. :lol

MIMIC said:
Wow....decent Blankas are really difficult for my Guile. It's the throws that I'm having trouble anticipating. He's almost like Fuerte, where you have to do a lot of guessing. :lol
rabbid jabs!! cr.LP him to death, his balls hate Guile's lightning fast jabs

Blanka dirty trick of doing LP ball to get in close to a throw.... Guile can cr.LP jab the ball or LP him before he ever bites

MIMIC said:

You want to stay basically in cr. mk. Bait slides by changing the rhythm of your Sonic Boom tosses. And be ready Bait his ultra too with FA-> Back cancel after a knockdown, block it, and if you can get the tight timing down, you can ultra for 6 or 7 hits (most times it's about 3). You'd be surprised how often a lot of Blanka's (good ones too) feel like they have their backs to the well. Even though they have electricity to deal with crossups, mix it up and still use j lk; it's a gamble, but if you hit and do the combo, you just took a big chunk, and you can bet the electricity is coming the next time they get knocked down. It's more of a mind game matchup (for me anyway). Stay unpredictable, and punish.

I still hate the lp ball whiff to throw though. Armor breaking too :(.

FindMyFarms said:
Not bad, I'd say to work on your footsies and zoning. Recognize when you're opponent is right outside of your cr. mk range. That's where you want to throw fireballs. Throw one, wait a bit see if they jump, punish. If not, continue. That's the range where they can't jump on reaction to FB's

Crossups -> Ryu has a great crossup, use it!

Off of your AA srk's, use ex hado instead of ex srk, it does more damage.

Can't comment on the matchups too much since I don't know Ryu v. Gen that much. Against Fuerte though use more FB's and mk tatsu's to control the ground. Once he gets jumpy unleash the srks. ELF's defensive options really aren't that great, if you can pressure him w/ rayoo 9/10 times you win the match.

Good work, I look forward to your showdown with Ed Ma.
Those were crap matches by me.. :(

I made some really bad mistakes

EDIT: ARGH!! I keep editing and wanting to cut it out and edit into my last post but I always get busy doing something else and forget and then hit "Post Reply" :lol

MIMIC

Banned
Killa Sasa said:
You want to stay basically in cr. mk. Bait slides by changing the rhythm of your Sonic Boom tosses. And be ready Bait his ultra too with FA-> Back cancel after a knockdown, block it, and if you can get the tight timing down, you can ultra for 6 or 7 hits (most times it's about 3). You'd be surprised how often a lot of Blanka's (good ones too) feel like they have their backs to the well. Even though they have electricity to deal with crossups, mix it up and still use j lk; it's a gamble, but if you hit and do the combo, you just took a big chunk, and you can bet the electricity is coming the next time they get knocked down. It's more of a mind game matchup (for me anyway). Stay unpredictable, and punish.

I still hate the lp ball whiff to throw though. Armor breaking too :(.

That's how it is for me, too. Once I bait the slide and punish them for it, they stop doing it as often.

And here's where I fuck up:

Guile: Jump in for cross-up
Blanka: EX Rainbow to safety
Guile: Sonic Boom
Blanka: Slide :lol
Blanka: Cross-up mix-up game of doom

Also, I need to pay more attention to whether or not they're charging. I AM a charge character myself, after all :)

ultim8p00

Banned
I just realized that I'm a terribly shitty player when I'm hungry. Tried to play at noon today, got my ass handed to me, lost almost every single tournament in the first round. Ate some food, a few hours later and everything was back to normal. Tells you just how much SFIV is about mental preparation. It's like you were writing an exam damn.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Those were crap matches by me.. :(

I made some really bad mistakes

EDIT: ARGH!! I keep editing and wanting to cut it out and edit into my last post but I always get busy doing something else and forget and then hit "Post Reply" :lol

I wasn't knockin you man, just commenting on chicken sinners habits.

Top Bottom