• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
It definitely has. I am getting 4 bar matches where there is input lag. Really frustrating. I'm probably going back to HDR for awhile so I can have less lag and be a beast with Honda. :p

Killa Sasa said:
Screw Capcom for not having any other way than grinding to unlock characters. I don't think I'll ever put aside the time to unlock Seth :lol Haven't missed him yet.

I'm grinding to get colors right now. I hate it, lol. I wish stuff would just unlock after a certain number of play hours, as well to the normal unlock criteria.

Magik

Killa Sasa said:
Screw Capcom for not having any other way than grinding to unlock characters. I don't think I'll ever put aside the time to unlock Seth :lol Haven't missed him yet.

Just have it set up as 1-round, Easiest difficulty. I Unlocked everybody pretty quickly.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
dralla said:
I'm not crazy right? the game has gotten a whole lot more laggier recently right? I can't even count how many times I couldn't punish blocked/whiffed moves today because moves were not coming out.

I thought it was only me. It's been like that for the last two days I've played online. And really bad.

I don't know if it's me, but when I play the PS3 version, it lags every where, the menus, saving. All since the update. I don't know. I play 360 all the time anyways, but it's annoying.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
dralla said:
I'm not crazy right? the game has gotten a whole lot more laggier recently right? I can't even count how many times I couldn't punish blocked/whiffed moves today because moves were not coming out.
School's out.

Magik said:
Just have it set up as 1-round, Easiest difficulty. I Unlocked everybody pretty quickly.

Oh believe me, I've done that already - I needed Gouken and Akuma. I just don't feel like spending the 40 minutes to beat it with the 15ish other characters I haven't yet.

Killa Sasa said:
Oh believe me, I've done that already - I needed Gouken and Akuma. I just don't feel like spending the 40 minutes to beat it with the 15ish other characters I haven't yet.

I had my roommate beat the game w/ random characters for me whenever he was bored lol

ultim8p00

Banned
G2!!

Yeah bitches!

Wow, the "atmosphere" of G2 is so much more tense. You have to win 4 rounds. Every single match I have won so far has been a real battle. I wonder if I'll ever make it past G2E

FindMyFarms said:
wut?!!? sagat's for noobs! u noob!

Was marn a standout in any game before sf4?

GGs Mox. Random FTMFW!!

I never heard of Marn until I listened to the Street Fighter Podcast. He may or may not be a cross over player. Mike Ross played MVC2 before SFIV. And J. Wong wasn't heavy in the SF community until Evo after the millineum.

SF IV is making stars (well famous nerds).

Before SFIV, I'd say the popular SF players were John Choi, Alex Valle, Ricky Ortiz, J. Wong, Grahm Wolfe, Arturo, Afrolegends, Mike Watts, etc.

Maybe in a half a year, we'll be talking about you.

ultim8p00 said:
G2!!

Yeah bitches!

Wow, the "atmosphere" of G2 is so much more tense. You have to win 4 rounds. Every single match I have won so far has been a real battle. I wonder if I'll ever make it past G2E

I just made G2D. G2 is going to make you a better player. Do you have a secondary character?

My biggest problem is I only main Ryu, which is making me too one dimensional.

If you win a championship, you only get 100 points. If you lose a championship (which has happened to me a lot), you get 50. If you make it to second or third match nets you five or 20 points.

I love G2. As far as the point collecting goes, I wish it was sort of like ranked, so I could get a lot of points from beating 10,000 GP+ players. It's so disheartening.

ultim8p00

Banned
Spiderjericho said:
I just made G2D. G2 is going to make you a better player. Do you have a secondary character?

My biggest problem is I only main Ryu, which is making me too one dimensional.

If you win a championship, you only get 100 points. If you lose a championship (which has happened to me a lot), you get 50. If you make it to second or third match nets you five or 20 points.

I love G2. As far as the point collecting goes, I wish it was sort of like ranked, so I could get a lot of points from beating 10,000 GP+ players. It's so disheartening.

I main Ryu as well, although I started out with Ken. I've been experimenting with Sakura. I can beat some less skilled players, but I'm not yet competitive enough with her. The battles in G2 are tough for me, damn. I think every battle I've won now is because of an Ultra setup. I'm mostly getting my ass handed to me.

ultim8p00 said:
I main Ryu as well, although I started out with Ken. I've been experimenting with Sakura. I can beat some less skilled players, but I'm not yet competitive enough with her. The battles in G2 are tough for me, damn. I think every battle I've won now is because of an Ultra setup. I'm mostly getting my ass handed to me.

Your problem is going to be that your opponents are all familiar with playing against Ryu/Ken. That's why it helps to have a good secondary character (that isn't similar). You have ultra, don't jump against Ryu or whiff a move near Ryu. The low forward following fireball is bread and butter, so it's expected. The block strings. Hell, even I'm used to facing Ryu.

Sakura is a little different, but you're going to have to be good at stunning, FA and combos. Are you good with continuing a combo after her short hurricane kick?

I'd like to learn Honda, Sagat, Rufus, El Fuerte or Boxer.

LowParry

Teknopathetic said:
Tekken 6 isn't going to be at Evo (tournament-wise) this year, though, right?

No. Not enough out in arcades and no home console version. I'm sure we'll see it next year for sure.

I never get any lag.. so no idea what people are talking about.. and if I do.. then oh well its a game that has online where lag is always apparent in some way.. but its not every game at least :)

Probably why I have so many online games :X

Updated stats time!

I'm closing in on 400 gameplay hours and 5500 online matches!

n560865398_3050234_4853888.jpg

My Championship Edition Stats

n560865398_3050235_6173933.jpg

My Character Stats (My Fuerte has passed 2000 matches)

n560865398_3050241_247982.jpg

My Championship points

4400_108173670398_560865398_3050243_1978277_n.jpg

ultim8p00

Banned
Spiderjericho said:
Your problem is going to be that your opponents are all familiar with playing against Ryu/Ken. That's why it helps to have a good secondary character (that isn't similar). You have ultra, don't jump against Ryu or whiff a move near Ryu. The low forward following fireball is bread and butter, so it's expected. The block strings. Hell, even I'm used to facing Ryu.

Sakura is a little different, but you're going to have to be good at stunning, FA and combos. Are you good with continuing a combo after her short hurricane kick?

I'd like to learn Honda, Sagat, Rufus, El Fuerte or Boxer.

Yeah I'm kinda getting used to it. Her tatsu feels different so it's taking me abit to get used to it. With Sakura I use a lot of poking and FA since it's so fast, but I have to work so freakin hard to do substantial damage. Also she takes quite a bit of damage, though not like Akuma.

I've also been playing with Balrog but I still can't get my head around buffering charge chars. When people see me backing up or crouching they know its coming.

Spiderjericho said:
GGs Mox. Random FTMFW!!

I never heard of Marn until I listened to the Street Fighter Podcast. He may or may not be a cross over player. Mike Ross played MVC2 before SFIV. And J. Wong wasn't heavy in the SF community until Evo after the millineum.

SF IV is making stars (well famous nerds).

Before SFIV, I'd say the popular SF players were John Choi, Alex Valle, Ricky Ortiz, J. Wong, Grahm Wolfe, Arturo, Afrolegends, Mike Watts, etc.

Maybe in a half a year, we'll be talking about you.

Yeah it's weird, in America a lot of the top 3s players are playing sf4 now, whereas in japan it's not the same. Come on kuroda, play sf4 lol!

I know Wong gets a lot of hate, but I think he's the most talented player in the world hands down. He plays almost every game, is near the top at all of em, and this is all without constant Japanese competition.

As for me, I'm flattered but you won't be hearing my name amongst those otheres lol. For me, SF4 (and fighting games in general) is a hobby I really enjoy and like competing in, but for those guys it's their life passion.
TurtleSnatcher said:
I never get any lag.. so no idea what people are talking about.. and if I do.. then oh well its a game that has online where lag is always apparent in some way.. but its not every game at least :)

U needs more BPz man. Come on, thats how u know you got skillz!

LakeEarth

Honda is awesome. He's like Zangief in normal damage, except he isn't completely fucked if your opponent knows how to zone. That SLS Honda is giving me some good ideas.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
FindMyFarms said:
Iyo's good, but I don't think he's in japans top tier. The tournament they had was single elimination so you could get ncaa march madness upsets. I want to see how usa does against Japan's top Sagats, since they're godly and we don't really have any good ones over here.

sorry, but Iyo is definitely in Japan's top tier. He's by far the best dhalsim player in the country, and not only in SF4 but CvS2 as well. The man is a beast but doesn't get as much publicity because he never won a major championship until SF4 nationals.

There are A LOT of players here in Japan that are more than capable of winning a major tournament here and capable of winning Evo... problem is that no one knows who they are because the ones who have won championships get all the hype. I mean, who the hell heard of Bea until he beat Daigo and Nuki at SBO qualifiers a few weeks back? People were like "who the hell is this random dude?" and then people find out he's the #2 Rufus in the country behind Kindevu.

Oichi said:
sorry, but Iyo is definitely in Japan's top tier. He's by far the best dhalsim player in the country, and not only in SF4 but CvS2 as well. The man is a beast but doesn't get as much publicity because he never won a major championship until SF4 nationals.

There are A LOT of players here in Japan that are more than capable of winning a major tournament here and capable of winning Evo... problem is that no one knows who they are because the ones who have won championships get all the hype. I mean, who the hell heard of Bea until he beat Daigo and Nuki at SBO qualifiers a few weeks back? People were like "who the hell is this random dude?" and then people find out he's the #2 Rufus in the country behind Kindevu.

not fair you live in japan >.<

ultim8p00 said:
Yeah I'm kinda getting used to it. Her tatsu feels different so it's taking me abit to get used to it. With Sakura I use a lot of poking and FA since it's so fast, but I have to work so freakin hard to do substantial damage. Also she takes quite a bit of damage, though not like Akuma.

I've also been playing with Balrog but I still can't get my head around buffering charge chars. When people see me backing up or crouching they know its coming.

Sakura has 1000 HP. The same as Ryu, Ken and most of the staff. It's not horrible like C. Viper, Akuma, Chun Li, Dhalsim, etc. It would be nice if it were 1000+ like Zangief, Honda, Sagat, Boxer, Abel and Rufus but oh well.

She is also deceptive. She can do damage quick because of her moves. You have to know how to string them together. If you're a combo monster, she's a good character. Her strengths from when people play me are her low fierce as an anti air, she has a decent (ok) cross up, okay pokes (low jab, low short, low forward, low and standing roundhouse) and sick combos. She can also set up her ultra by doing ex hurricane kick or FADC.

If you want, I'll pick her up and we can play against each other (plus switch out character to help see matchups).
And I'm all for Team USA, but there's no way with the number of arcades in Japan (I lived there for a year), number of players and level of competition that the US can really compete with Japan. We only have a small group of elite players. I wish they'd open up SBO to about four USA teams, so people could see this. I'd say we're about second in the world (ahead of Korea and Europe).

And I think in Japan because they get more releases, they probably don't stick to playing the same old, same old titles like we do. The lineup at Evo has been ST, TS, MVC2, CVS2, GG (whatever), the latest Tekken, Soul Calibur and SSMB. Whereas the Japanese have KOFs, Melty Blood, VF, etc. Also SBO is strictly arcade cabinets not home consoles like Evo.

And dammit Find, I'm going AWOL and you're dropping out of school so we can take the strawberry banana show on the road.

ultim8p00

Banned
Spiderjericho said:
Sakura has 1000 HP. The same as Ryu, Ken and most of the staff. It's not horrible like C. Viper, Akuma, Chun Li, Dhalsim, etc. It would be nice if it were 1000+ like Zangief, Honda, Sagat, Boxer, Abel and Rufus but oh well.

She is also deceptive. She can do damage quick because of her moves. You have to know how to string them together. If you're a combo monster, she's a good character. Her strengths from when people play me are her low fierce as an anti air, she has a decent (ok) cross up, okay pokes (low jab, low short, low forward, low and standing roundhouse) and sick combos. She can also set up her ultra by doing ex hurricane kick or FADC.

If you want, I'll pick her up and we can play against each other (plus switch out character to help see matchups).
And I'm all for Team USA, but there's no way with the number of arcades in Japan (I lived there for a year), number of players and level of competition that the US can really compete with Japan. We only have a small group of elite players. I wish they'd open up SBO to about four USA teams, so people could see this. I'd say we're about second in the world (ahead of Korea and Europe).

And I think in Japan because they get more releases, they probably don't stick to playing the same old, same old titles like we do. The lineup at Evo has been ST, TS, MVC2, CVS2, GG (whatever), the latest Tekken, Soul Calibur and SSMB. Whereas the Japanese have KOFs, Melty Blood, VF, etc. Also SBO is strictly arcade cabinets not home consoles like Evo.

And dammit Find, I'm going AWOL and you're dropping out of school so we can take the strawberry banana show on the road.

Yeah I'm up for some Sakura on Sakura action. I'm just getting really tired of Ryu and I feel like I've hit a wall and I'm making no progress. I must have played like one billion G2 championships but only won two.

GT: D3vinchi

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ultim8p00 said:
Yeah I'm up for some Sakura on Sakura action. I'm just getting really tired of Ryu and I feel like I've hit a wall and I'm making no progress. I must have played like one billion G2 championships but only won two.

don't worry, it goes is stages. like anything you think you've stopped improving. then you make a big jump and start trashing people that have the same GP you had a couple weeks back.

then along comes a 2000 ken and beats you senseless and taunts you just before landing his ultra for the KO, just so you don't get cocky.

:(

I ranked up to G2-B yesterday. WOOOO. Now the long hard road to 10000......

getting better at fighting Gief and bison no longer gives my blanka that much trouble. VEGA though, I know he sucks, but damnit he beats me baaaaad.

how do you avoid vegas super?!?! It's defo not a jump back :lol

Hey guys, I've been talking about my friend who qualified for SBO for a while now. His name's Jon Lo, and >>here's some footage of him in the finals of a recent austin tourney he won.<<. The videos are labelled wrong, it says Winchester/DarkMeltDown is playing Sagat but it's Jon Lo. Also, if you check the channel, you can see footage of Jan (although in a losing effort.) Jan is another top player in Tx. He OCV'd Justin Wong and his team at Tx Showdown.

I know TX doesn't get a lot of press(edit - turtlesnatcher will eventually take care of that), but outside of Wong/Marn, I think we have the best SF4 players in the country, no joke.

GalacticAE said:
Texas has always been recognized. In 3s before and SF4 now. But I think SoCal and NorCal have the best SF4 players right now.

You'll see after Evo.

When I say press I mean videos and what not, I didn't say the dedicated crowd doesn't recognize tx. AI, denjin, there's so many vids/websites/etc. of cali players and NY players, and barely of Tx players(that's our fault though). The casual fan however doesn't even know tx is competitive lol.

I know everyone hates em, but I think the fat asian duo is gonna do the best on the american side at evo.

And tx > cali. Wheres your allegiance! Lets see how your opinion holds up when you come to Dallas :D

edit - No way norcal is tops, I myself have beaten a handful of their top players. And you've played(i.e. beaten) me, you know I'm no pro :p

2nd edit - i c what u did there u sly fox

FindMyFarms said:
When I say press I mean videos and what not, I didn't say the dedicated crowd doesn't recognize tx. AI, denjin, there's so many vids/websites/etc. of cali players and NY players, and barely of Tx players(that's our fault though). The casual fan however doesn't even know tx is competitive lol.

I know everyone hates em, but I think the fat asian duo is gonna do the best on the american side at evo.

And tx > cali. Wheres your allegiance! Lets see how your opinion holds up when you come to Dallas :D

Hey, I'm a fan of Tx players. I've played with many. I played and got stomped at arcades around DFW back when, I went to Tx Showdown. But I see that Socal is just so solid.

Right now the only Texas crew I play with frequently is the El Paso guys when they come up. It's cool though. I'll wreck the DFW guys in due time. Maybe I'll look for some at Evo this year. Right before Valle and I have our match on the big screen. You gonna watch?

edit: please stop adding fake shit to my posts. Nub.

GalacticAE said:
Hey, I'm a fan of Tx players. I've played with many. I played and got stomped at arcades around DFW back when, I went to Tx Showdown. But I see that Socal is just so solid.

Right now the only Texas crew I play with frequently is the El Paso guys when they come up. It's cool tohugh. I'll wreck the DFW guys in due time. Maybe I'll look for some at Evo this year. Right before Valle and I have our match on the big screen. You gonna watch?

edit: please stop adding fake shit to my posts. Nub.
i like little boys

If you play Valle throw the match snatched style so I can win some fat cash.

Its so sad, but we got 3 guys here in Dallas that would be fucking MONSTERS at sf4 if they were just interested, but they're imprisoned by third strike :(

FindMyFarms said:
If you play Valle throw the match snatched style so I can win some fat cash.

Its so sad, but we got 3 guys here in Dallas that would be fucking MONSTERS at sf4 if they were just interested, but they're imprisoned by third strike and my anal desserts

:(

My fans would be let down if that happened.

ST is still being played so I think 3s will be around for a long while. I personally don't like it much. Guess and win, am i rite?

Ah god, I'm going to boot this game back up after taking a break from it for about 2.5 weeks.

I'm scared to see my skill drop :(

as always, if anyone wants to play on XBL

CminusWARRIOR

Won

Haven't played championship mode the last few days, but it looks like G1 is filling up. 400 people in there on live. Even scrubs like MicVlaD are now there!
Also looks like France is pushing itself in the top 10. :lol

Also random in this games sucks. It is more likely to get one of the last 5 characters you just played than one of the 20 other characters. And the amount of shotos sucks too. Half of the time I'm fireballing and upperutting. Booooooooo.

catfish said:
how do you avoid vegas super?!?! It's defo not a jump back :lol

Do.....something. Doesn't even matter what. I just jump back and stick out an arm or leg and it always hits them. With Blanka you can probably throw out whatever move you can think of and it will counter his super.

Ji66a-Man said:
2a5aq69.jpg

Got this @ Fanime '09 RE5 Signing.
Ken's US voice actor does know about the Ken Flowchart.
heh, nice sense of humor

Damn, he looks a lot like Chris Redfield, I imagine they modeled him after his VA?

BitchTits

How long does it take for your disconnection % to drop back to zero? It hasn't hampered getting into matches, but that 2% is pissing me off because I know it wasn't my fault.

BigAT

BitchTits said:
How long does it take for your disconnection % to drop back to zero? It hasn't hampered getting into matches, but that 2% is pissing me off because I know it wasn't my fault.

I'm no mathematician but even 1/10000000 isn't zero. Better get used to your 1% because it isn't going away.

MIMIC

Banned
I got my first perfect in Championship mode :D I pwned a Balrog with my Guile. In round 2, he beat me with his obscene turtle/throw game :lol In Round 3, I barely edged him out....made way too many mistakes.

I won 3 finals in a row (G3-A). How long before I rank up to G2?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
MIMIC said:
I got my first perfect in Championship mode :D I pwned a Balrog with my Guile. In round 2, he beat me with his obscene turtle/throw game :lol In Round 3, I barely edged him out....made way too many mistakes.

I won 3 finals in a row (G3-A). How long before I rank up to G2?

G2 is at 3000 I think or is it 2000.....

G2E is 2k I think

then D at 3000
then C at 5000
then B at 7000
then A at 10000(?) I just got to B so dunno. 15000 is G1 though

BitchTits

BigAT said:
I'm no mathematician but even 1/10000000 isn't zero. Better get used to your 1% because it isn't going away.
:lol

I thought the system was that the percentage dropped after a certain amount of time?

Won

Took a few rounds in G1 again and man...no improvement. Lag, Zangief, one bar, Blanka, Zangief....

Also saw a Ryu with 14150 GP. Good job on that. I guess he wants to get that "first to 0 GP" award.

Yeah, I'm up to 3 percent disconnect rate now. It's crazy. I don't rage quit. I've seen others with higher DC. Now, I don't know whether it's the crappy online or the person.

Oddly enough, I played a flow chart Ken (didn't think there would be any in G2), I did Ryu's anti-air SRK into ultra, then he disconnected. I ran into him again. He won the first round with his shoryu, shoryu, shoryu shenanigans. I won the match. Surprisingly he didn't disconnect the second time.

But I played like crap yesterday.

New tier list with matchup chart in op

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=192262

Wow at Rose being A tier, I'd really like to see the reasoning behind that, as I don't think she's A tier at all.

Also glad that Cammy's at B tier, I always thought she's a solid character, and not as bad as some make her out to be

edit - seems like all of Honda's bad matchups are against characters with great mid screen zoning (seth, dhalsim, guile, sagat) with one exception, Abel?! How is that a bad matchup for Honda? Any players wanna chime in on that?

also why's honda 5-5 w/ ryu, but 4-6 against Ken, does his kara give him fits or something?

lol at 8-2 seth/gief

OOYAGIIIIII!! (SP). I can't believe Dan is the worst character again.

El Fuerte low tier? Not according to Japan's Ero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5CWiQqcXzw

Yeah, I wonder what makes Blanka and Chun Li top tier and Rose high tier.

Has anyone made it to the S tier yet? And I doubt I'll make it to G1 anytime soon. I'm only on 3000GP and don't have the time to play two or four hours a day.

_dementia said:
heh, nice sense of humor

Damn, he looks a lot like Chris Redfield, I imagine they modeled him after his VA?

Oh wow, he did Chris, Ken and Dante. He's very versitile, because I never picked up on that, and Dante was very distinct and cool voice in DMC4.

I also noticed Frank West = Credo. That one was obvious to me. And I will also say that I think Capcom has the best voice talent/acting in their games, hands down.

Spiderjericho said:
OOYAGIIIIII!! (SP). I can't believe Dan is the worst character again.

El Fuerte low tier? Not according to Japan's Ero:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5CWiQqcXzw

Yeah, I wonder what makes Blanka and Chun Li top tier and Rose high tier.

Has anyone made it to the S tier yet? And I doubt I'll make it to G1 anytime soon. I'm only on 3000GP and don't have the time to play two or four hours a day.

Not surprised at Chun being S tier, Nuki made a believer out of me a long time ago lol. Also if you catch the SBO qualifiers there's a lot of mean chun's

edit - more confusion, blanka 6-4 over sim?!? how?

Top Bottom