• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

run-away Claws are a pita

this G2 A claw kicked my ass the first round, couldn't close the gap. Round 2, the moment I got in, I ended the round with a perfect. Then Round 3, I had trouble getting in again, and kept falling for his pokes...and ex jumps.

but it's nice seeing a lot of claws up there in the high ranks

_dementia said:
Really? In training mode I tired Crane cr.LK to mantis' Super (Fierce) to 100% Revenge PPP Ultra and it did massive damage and Gen was all like "dat's 50%, Welcome to USA!!"

I forget who the dummy was, but it did real substantial damage.
Who the eff ever has full PPP ultra ready as gen that will need to take 50%..

Either way lots of charactesr don't need full super/ultra to take someone 50%..

Hell Sagat can take you full 50% + more with less :(

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
_dementia said:
Really? In training mode I tired Crane cr.LK to mantis' Super (Fierce) to 100% Revenge PPP Ultra and it did massive damage and Gen was all like "dat's 50%, Welcome to USA!!"

I forget who the dummy was, but it did real substantial damage.

Yeah, Turtle's on crack. Gen's ultra is pretty keen.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Who the eff ever has full PPP ultra ready as gen that will need to take 50%..

Either way lots of charactesr don't need full super/ultra to take someone 50%..

Fucking Sagat...it seems like he can take you down with 3 basic combos, especially the lower stamina folk.

I know SRK frowns on "banning" characters talk but seriously, Sagat being S-Tier every list time should be some kind of hint, no? Wonder how the community will respond over time or if Capcom will be changing him up in future updates...

*Sagat crybaby am out*

Unregistered007 said:
Hi, is there a lot of noticeable difference between PS3 & Xbox360 versions ? I want to get PS3 version as well because some friends have it on PS3 .
Not at all. Pixel counters say the PS3 version dynamically shifts to sub-HD resolutions to maintain 60 fps during Ultra animations, but I don't notice it.

Unregistered007 said:
Hi, is there a lot of noticeable difference between PS3 & Xbox360 versions ? I want to get PS3 version as well because some friends have it on PS3 .

Get whatever your friends have. The only difference so far is the PS3 has a dumb voting system for replays whereas 360 has a useful move data/input for replays. Likely not a big issue for you, but the big tournaments and tournament players seem to favor PS3 since EVO kind of blindly made it the standard (for no real reason other than they had PS3 consoles lying around).

Jason

myDingling said:
Fucking Sagat...it seems like he can take you down with 3 basic combos, especially the lower stamina folk.

I know SRK frowns on "banning" characters talk but seriously, Sagat being S-Tier every list time should be some kind of hint, no? Wonder how the community will respond over time or if Capcom will be changing him up in future updates...

*Sagat crybaby am out*

I haven't seen many Sagats lately so my hate for him has gone away somewhat. Seth and Ryu on the other hand...SRK > Ultra and runaway Seth are just maddening.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Shishka said:
Aw yeah. After like 3 months, the Sanwa parts for my Hori stick have finally arrived in the mail.

BEWARE, G2. G2-E Chun Li is going to be every bit as ineffective against you as she was before.

Er, I mean, she's going to claw her way to the top.

(Every bit as ineffective as before =( )

You go sir!

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah, Turtle's on crack. Gen's ultra is pretty keen.

Im not saying it doesnt do a lot of dmg but I'm saying its not as much as people make it out to be because of the dmg scaling since the super does so many hits before and then the Ultras that Gen has in the game are actually some of the weakest in the game..

Gen's Mantis (PPP Style) Super does 280 dmg with 6 hits

Followed by the Ultra which does 13 hits and a minimum of 288 dmg and max of 405 dmg..

The Crane (KKK Style) Ultra does 279 min and 398 max..

The only ultras that are weaker in the game are Ryu, Seth..

Sakuras ultra even does more dmg then it as well as Vega. I'm just saying the Ultra is most def worth it to do in that situation but the damage scaling doesn't make it the most lethal omfg combo in the game like everyones blowing up to be..

EDIT:

BTW -
Blanka and Zangief have the strongest ultras in the game.. 600 dmg each at max ultra. Akuma's raging demo at max ultra does 4 damage less.. Sagats Genocide does 583 so 17dmg less at full Ultra..

Jason said:
I haven't seen many Sagats lately so my hate for him has gone away somewhat. Seth and Ryu on the other hand...SRK > Ultra and runaway Seth are just maddening.

SRK trade>Ultra.....-_- But anyway, we've had that discussion already. Seth is also annoying as fuck. I've seen more and more Seths lately. His shit is ridiculous but at least people tend to agree he is unfair. The other two cheeseball characters, not so much consensus yet.

LakeEarth

But Gen's ultra is comboable and is a great distance punisher, which balances its weakness. Sagat's ultra seems to be the most powerful comboable ultra.

Plus the fact that it takes a full super AND ultra to do that kind of damage for Gen, not too hot, especially when he needs the EX bar for hands and corner escapes.

I will say that I think the damage Sagat does needs to be toned down, he just does too much. Perhaps -50 on his fp/rh, -20 on mp/mk and -100 on ultra to even it out.

LakeEarth said:
But Gen's ultra is comboable and is a great distance punisher, which balances its weakness.

Were talking about Super to Ultra? Failz at reading.

I'm saying its a weak ultra and already being scaled by the Super makes it even weaker.. I compared it to other ultras to put it into perspective of how much the dmg scaling will take it to an even lower number.

By itself or even after a single hit HK Wall Dive it can be pretty damaging.

FMF -

Agreed. That video I posted is a good way of showing it. The guy stuns the Rog easily because hes taking the time to use the bar for FADC's and applying pressure while still doing a 50% of his bar (On Rog not bad)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
LakeEarth said:
But Gen's ultra is comboable and is a great distance punisher, which balances its weakness. Sagat's ultra seems to be the most powerful comboable ultra.

Plus he has two. I can think of 8 ways to safely combo into one of Gen's ultras off of the top of my head.

Gen's ultra isn't the end-all-be-all, but if Sagat and Gief are your benchmark, then everyone sucks.

LakeEarth

TurtleSnatcher said:

Were talking about Super to Ultra? Failz at reading.

I'm saying its a weak ultra and already being scaled by the Super makes it even weaker.. I compared it to other ultras to put it into perspective of how much the dmg scaling will take it to an even lower number.

By itself or even after a single hit HK Wall Dive it can be pretty damaging.

FMF -

Agreed. That video I posted is a good way of showing it. The guy stuns the Rog easily because hes taking the time to use the bar for FADC's and applying pressure while still doing a 50% of his bar (On Rog not bad)
Yeah I know, I am giving a reason why his ultra is weak. His super -> ultra can be worth it, as you don't always have opportunity to get off your ultra in a round. It's something.

FindMyFarms said:
Plus the fact that it takes a full super AND ultra to do that kind of damage for Gen, not too hot, especially when he needs the EX bar for hands and corner escapes.

I will say that I think the damage Sagat does needs to be toned down, he just does too much. Perhaps -50 on his fp/rh, -20 on mp/mk and -100 on ultra to even it out.

Either a dmg nerf would suffice or some kind of nerf to his defensive capabilities. Lower stamina, smaller hit box on his standing roundhouse, LK Tiger Knee unsafe on block would be a start.

LakeEarth said:
Yeah I know, I am giving a reason why his ultra is weak. His super -> ultra can be worth it, as you don't always have opportunity to get off your ultra in a round. It's something.
You ninja edited that.

I saw you!

But yes.. Like I said in the post you quoted that its good for the situation if you are in it because you may never land the ultra.. But sometimes using the bar for FADC's and getting out of corners/pressure with your invulnerable EX Wall dive is what you need instead of hoping to bank that super->ultra

Reposting this video..

Fricken amazing Gen.. Constant pressure and just stunned him nonstop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9E34CXZHBQ

Lost Fragment said:
Gen's ultra isn't the end-all-be-all, but if Sagat and Gief are your benchmark, then everyone sucks.

No one said Sagat was the benchmark.. There is no benchmark since no one really can do super->ultra but lots of characters have FADC combos that do the same dmg similar to that and won't need a full bar and would get stun mixed in the whole thing

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I'm talking about your claim that Gen's ultra is one of the weakest in the game, not super -> ultra.

And, you just compared it to both Sagat and Gief dude :lol

Lost Fragment said:
I'm talking about your claim that Gen's ultra is one of the weakest in the game, not super -> ultra.

And, you just compared it to both Sagat and Gief dude :lol
It is one of the weakest in the game..

I just said it was weaker then sakura and vega.. and the only two weaker ultras are Ryu and Seth..

Read my fricken post dood.. Christ. Where did I say that I was benchmarking him against Zangief and Sagat..

I put on the bottom the people with the top dmg ultras in a completely separate paragraph in a separate edit as a FYI just to show people the dmg numbers..

FARK people! READING WINS GOOD

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
It is one of the weakest in the game..

I just said it was weaker then sakura and vega.. and the only two weaker ultras are Ryu and Seth..

Read my fricken post dood.. Christ. Where did I say that I was benchmarking him against Zangief and Sagat..

I put on the bottom the people with the top dmg ultras in a completely separate paragraph in a separate edit as a FYI just to show people the dmg numbers..

FARK people! READING WINS GOOD

If by "weakest" you strictly mean "lowest damage dealt," then I haven't really compared it to many other ultras, but I guess. But when I see someone use that word in that way, I don't only think of the damage output since there are always other variables in play that affect a move's "strength."

TurtleSnatcher said:

TurtleSnatcher said:
Blanka and Zangief have the strongest ultras in the game.. 600 dmg each at max ultra. Akuma's raging demo at max ultra does 4 damage less.. Sagats Genocide does 583 so 17dmg less at full Ultra..

Anyway, I don't think the problem is with my reading comprehension, as much as it's either your ability to convey thoughts into words or simply things getting lost in internet translation. Either way, I can do without the snark, thanks.

Lost Fragment said:
If by "weakest" you strictly mean "lowest damage dealt," then I haven't really compared it to many other ultras, but I guess. But when I see someone use that word in that way, I don't only think of the damage output since there are always other variables in play that make it "stronger."

Anyway, I don't think the problem is with my reading comprehension, as much as it's either your ability to convey thoughts into words or simply things getting lost in internet translation, so I can do without the snark, thanks.

So I posted numbers in a compeltely seperate edit and posted the top 4 dmg ultras in the game just because I was looking at the chart and you directly compared it to the discussion?

Then you took my Sagat comment when I was already talking about how people don't have to use full bar to get more dmg output then the super/ultra gen does and not just Sagat hell even like an Akuma or Ryu or Rog and you think I'm comparing Ultra to Ultra again.

Anyways.. Its just a loss of translation .. You had a different notion since you are thinking "weakest" as in "worst use". Why you thought that was the conversation baffles me since the original post that started this whole discussion...

Turtlesnatcher said:
Yea he can't. But since his super does so many hits it really cuts back on what is already one of the weaker ultras in the game. His KKK ultra is even worse..

Yes.. Damage mitigation and how the ultra doesn't do much dmg after Super.. Which is why I brought up Ultra numbers.

Thanks for reading.. I guess?

EDIT:

FMF - LoL at that guy.. "Oh you caught me.. I don't know about SF4 but want to host stuff" More power to him.. Good to see others join the community but to take on a whim that fast in banning Gouken and Seth? Wat? Then he goes on about how he was a big Melee players and then how Brawl made him join SF4.. Brawl came out like.. a year ago? So I guess he sat around for a year.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
man there is nothing more satisfying than landing blankas ultra on a run away fireball akuma to even things up. :lol

I played a vega today and (he's my bogey character at the moment) and he was dealing to me bad in the first round. So bad that he threw some taunts my way, I think I got 20% of his bar MAYBE.

He was a dirty turtle with reaction tactics. So second round I hit the guy with a blocked fierce blanka ball right at the start and then turtled up even harder for 2 rounds.

Victory = me :lol

I'm 'learning' to turtle now. I don't ever do it and just chase people down. It's the wrong way to play against some characters. As much as it goes against my play style I'm getting more wins by keeping away from people and looking for openings.

Hey Won or was it Zabka, not sure (*_*)

I remember we were talking about Fuson vs. Ross (honda v. guile) and you were wondering how Honda wins that match. I pretty much explained how in my responses already, but here's a match showing how it looks like when 2 top players(both these guys are better than ross/fuson) are goin at it and Honda wins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_9p_aFC0XI&feature=PlayList&p=28CB05C1E0DA5B52&index=3

Something to keep in mind is how the Honda never jumps in until Guile stands and loses his FK charge. Also, the distance he jumps in is so that the angle he gets allows j.fp to beat guiles cr. fp, and trade w/ guile's s.fp and df + rh, which is a favorable trade for Honda.

mr_boo

Apologies if this is the wrong thread - just want to report that I picked up SF4 yesterday at Target for $37 bucks (San Diego, CA). I don't know any more details on the deal - and sorry, too busy at work to scan whether this has already been reported.

BitchTits said:
@ 2:23 Guile jumps over Honda, then Honda headbutts and it goes in the right direction, is this just auto aiming (/tracking?) because he couldn't have charged it.

Auto direction moves kind of peeve me in this game, it seems to work in favour of DP moves and usually against me, not for me >:-/

What happened there is that there's a small window of time where you can input the move in the opposite direction, and even if you're facing the other direction, said move will come out.

Ex - if you're charging left, and an opponent on your right jumps over you, even after he's crossed your char, there's a split second where you can press right + p and still have the move come out, even though you should have lost charge.

I'm not familiar with the auto direction term, but perhaps we're talking about the same thing?

The shots def aren't the same thing, it's just really easy to SRK someone trying to cross you up.

Zabka

FindMyFarms said:
Hey Won or was it Zabka, not sure (*_*)

I remember we were talking about Fuson vs. Ross (honda v. guile) and you were wondering how Honda wins that match. I pretty much explained how in my responses already, but here's a match showing how it looks like when 2 top players(both these guys are better than ross/fuson) are goin at it and Honda wins.

Something to keep in mind is how the Honda never jumps in until Guile stands and loses his FK charge. Also, the distance he jumps in is so that the angle he gets allows j.fp to beat guiles cr. fp, and trade w/ guile's s.fp and df + rh, which is a favorable trade for Honda.
That's pretty much how I play the match. Honda does well against aggressive Guiles. It's the turtles that make it difficult. Why would you dash in with Guile on a Honda wakeup? That's just stupid.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
KEEP TALKING GEN!! That video Turtle posted is the most badass thing I have seen. Mk to hands is god. Linking off mp--never even thought of that. Damn. Love seeing cornball Boxer huddled in a corner terrified of the old frail guy.

Yeah, that Gen was sick. I didn't even know you could get a combo that big (in normal matches). He was smooth.

And LOL at FMF's mental suggestions.

Daigo got owned by that Akuma on 090508.

Zabka said:
That's pretty much how I play the match. Honda does well against aggressive Guiles. It's the turtles that make it difficult. Why would you dash in with Guile on a Honda wakeup? That's just stupid.

That WAS a turtle guile lol.

edit - the guile player dashed in too late, but meaty SB followed by a dash in is a good way to bait honda into wasting ex bar.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Despite me giving up on the TE stick because of the disappointment of waiting all those months for it, the opportunity rose today to buy one today from the store I always go to - they got two in, imported, one of them was bought by one of the guys working there who was waiting 2 & a half months for it himself, and the other one was for someone who reserved it from a long time ago too...

Funny thing is that I know the guys that own the store personally, and they told me that they called the dude and he said that he'd pick it up around 12 in the afternoon, and when I was there around 5 he still didn't pick it up yet - when I told the guys that I was beginning to have a change of heart about the stick, they told me that I could just take the one that was reserved right then since the guy was late anyways...

Being the nice guy that I am, I told them nah, I wouldn't want to disappoint whoever reserved it, but they said that if it isn't picked up tomorrow, it'll be open-season for everyone anyways, so I think I'll just grab it tomorrow and be done with it - I still get annoyed every now and then with the restrictions of a pad, and I know that the TE is top notch, not to mention people are willing to pay up to €400 for one online, so I think I'm just gonna do it tomorrow...

Oh and thanks for all of those tournament videos from the last page - some incredible stuff in there which had me making some mental notes, and that Gen is sick as hell BTW - first time I've seen such ridiculous combos in SF4, and loop combos don't count... dayum.

jdub03

TurtleSnatcher said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9E34CXZHBQ

Holy shat at this Gen.... o_O

31 hit combo and 27 hit combo.. no super or ultra..

Wow that's lovely. I'm going to have to add that to my repertoire. Quick question about gens standing medium kick-> hands->standing medium kick->hands link combo. Do you have to do the hard punch hands to link the standing medium kick. I haven't been able to get that to link.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
On Gen hands: Think it has to be fierce punch hands or at least ex hands--I've linked the latter to punish for a quick 10 hits. FP hands is hit or miss for me-- still haven't gotten piano down. Usually I do it where I do the initial mk by pressing lp along with it and then hitting lp again and try to end with fp. So like lp + mk~lp, mp, fp, fp again.

jdub03

bob_arctor said:
On Gen hands: Think it has to be fierce punch hands or at least ex hands--I've linked the latter to punish for a quick 10 hits. FP hands is hit or miss for me-- still haven't gotten piano down. Usually I do it where I do the initial mk by pressing lp along with it and then hitting lp again and try to end with fp. So like lp + mk~lp, mp, fp, fp again.

Ok. I can do mk to fierce hands. I use the method yeb made a video of. Hit mk then slide fingers from mp-hp-mp-lp-mp-hp. I can never get the second mk to link though. I thought maybe it had to be another version of the hands.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Top 10 in Japan, courtesy of me and my site, har.

rank-05-28-2009.jpg

Source: http://www.versuscity.net/2009/05/28/street-fighter-4-power-players-13

That's insane. On PSN, I have like a 59 or 60 percent win percentage. Adding Xbox, it might jump to about 65.

Those guys are really good players. And some of them beasting with more than one character. Amazing.

Oh, is Nemo actually better than Nuki? I know it's all about tournaments and not really your win percentage, but I never expected nuki to be on the wrong side of 60 when it came to winning %.

I still think Nuki is the best Chun player out there.

rise888

jdub03 said:
Ok. I can do mk to fierce hands. I use the method yeb made a video of. Hit mk then slide fingers from mp-hp-mp-lp-mp-hp. I can never get the second mk to link though. I thought maybe it had to be another version of the hands.

do you have a link to the video? i searched but nothing came up

MIMIC

Banned
I've won 16 straight matches :D (4 G3-A finals and a Free final)

I played free for the first time and it was....interesting. I played as Guile

1st Battle - Ken (G2): Fucking awful. Classic Flowchart.
2nd Battle - Cammy (G2): I never let up. Other than getting hit with a wake-up Ultra, I destroyed her
Semi-Final - Zangief (G2): Fuck Zangief. I didn't let this fucker breathe. I murdered him
Final - Guile :lol (G2): He won the 1st round pretty handily. He Focus Attacked the shit out of me. I was already telling myself, "Well, if you lose, at least it's to a really good Guile". He was using some combos that I myself have to implement into my game. 2nd and 3rd round: I went into beast mode and did my thang :D He started to get a little scared and turtled for a bit....so I had to bring him out of his shell.

Top Bottom