• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

I can't really comment on TS but have seen some good Yang, Ryu, Ken, Urien and occasional Dudley, Makoto and Elena.

IV has great balance for being a first game. There are some character tweaks that are necessary, but as the game stands a lot of the middle tier characters are viable.

Though Find is only referencing TRF, there are plenty of videos out there of Honda, Fuerte, Ken, Chun Li, Abel winning tournaments. Justin Wong uses Abel, Rufus and Boxer. Mike Ross uses Honda. Alex Valle Ken and Dictator. Ed Ma Ken/Akuma/C.Viper.

CPS2

OTG is where you scoop them up off the ground after a knockdown, sometimes techable, sometimes not. I'm guessing ground break is where you smash them through the ground.

prodystopian said:
Good to hear. I was worried he got nerfed from T5, which would be bad. I seem to have a thing for characters that are competitive, but not top tier.

What do you mean by those 2 things? I'm not very up on Tekken.

UC1 explained OTG

In t6br, everyone has a move that smashes an opponent into the floor and bounces them up, letting you extend your juggle .Also, the ground in t6br actually BREAKS sometimes, and you fall down a level, the character that initiated it can continue an OTG combo when landing on the lower floor.

Damn, SF4 w/ otg's would be sick

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
FindMyFarms said:
Yeah, but it's not one dude winning with one character, it's a bunch of people wining with a good bit of the 3s cast. The yun/chun thing is a myth perpetrated in America, the game has a good 10 or so characters that are successful at Japan's top levels. Execution never wins at the top level btw.

As for SF4, I think the middle tier is fine. Elf =/= all of sf4's middle tier. Like I said, a lot of the middle tier char's are successful, you're probably just not keeping up with the sf4 scene for you to think otherwise. Just tone down Sagat's damage, give some charge characters ways to hit confirm into their ultra(hello honda,vega,guile), a few more things here and there, and they're set. You can win with a large variety of characters in sf4. Making Dan a great character as well is pretty ambitious, but why not Capcom!

Dark geese is mainly kof xi btw.

Yeah, I agree with all that. Elf is bottom tier to me. Honda has HUGE problems with some chars just like ST though, but he only has one matchup where I see free win, and that's ELF.

Balrog, Ken, Guile all rape Honda for free it seems. I think Honda has some tools to deal with Sagat, matchup is bad but not as hard as those three.

I still think other games are better balanced, but SF4's balance is acceptable.

dfyb

Banned
i wouldn't mind practicing against a honda (i play elf, and yeah it's one of the harder matchups for me). i can play on XBL or PSN (prefer PSN though). XBL = amdfyb. PSN = dfyb

will have to be tomorrow or something though -- about to head out and will prolly be busy the rest of tonight.

dfyb said:
i wouldn't mind practicing against a honda (i play elf, and yeah it's one of the harder matchups for me). i can play on XBL or PSN (prefer PSN though). XBL = amdfyb. PSN = dfyb

will have to be tomorrow or something though -- about to head out and will prolly be busy the rest of tonight.

Lake Earth wupped up on DSP, u should play against him.

Thats so flakey and in a corner.

Anyways.. OTG's is what makes me hate 3d fighters.. I just find it so weird when they hit them and bodies bounce off the ground.. Its got fake screaming off of it which makes no sense to even hate because its not like fireballs out of hands are real..! Anyways.. just doesnt seem right.

FindMyFarms said:
UC1 explained OTG

In t6br, everyone has a move that smashes an opponent into the floor and bounces them up, letting you extend your juggle .Also, the ground in t6br actually BREAKS sometimes, and you fall down a level, the character that initiated it can continue an OTG combo when landing on the lower floor.

Damn, SF4 w/ otg's would be sick

UC1 said:
OTG is where you scoop them up off the ground after a knockdown, sometimes techable, sometimes not. I'm guessing ground break is where you smash them through the ground.

Thanks.

Juggles are why I didn't really like Alpha 3. I don't mind the juggling in IV, ST or TS, but I don't want to watch a match.

I don't mind in MVC2, Guilty Gear or Tekken.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I really hate sagat. he's a hard enough matchup even if he did fair damage. That fucking crouching Hk is BRUTAL.

One combo can be 1/3 bar. You BASTARD sagat.

Also, a lot of people still play Ranked matches :lol

When championship came out I switched to that, I went back today to try to get the 'playing to win' achievement because that doesn't count in championship mode (which I got and did dances for only to see the achievement still locked)

I had 2000 Bp when Championship mode came out and I got that up to 2600 pretty damn quick in a not many matches. People around 3000Bp seem to be flowcharting pretty bad, I think the serious people moved to championship and the noobs play in ranked or something. there is SO MANY KENS there.

catfish said:
I really hate sagat. he's a hard enough matchup even if he did fair damage. That fucking crouching Hk is BRUTAL.

One combo can be 1/3 bar. You BASTARD sagat.

Also, a lot of people still play Ranked matches :lol

When championship came out I switched to that, I went back today to try to get the 'playing to win' achievement because that doesn't count in championship mode (which I got and did dances for only to see the achievement still locked)

I had 2000 Bp when Championship mode came out and I got that up to 2600 pretty damn quick in a not many matches. People around 3000Bp seem to be flowcharting pretty bad, I think the serious people moved to championship and the noobs play in ranked or something. there is SO MANY KENS there.

The other thing I can't stand about Ranked is it seems like over 50% of people don't have the game installed. I rarely run into people without install in championship.

Street Fighter historically has always been a game of top 15-25% dominating the game at tournament level. Is 4 more balanced than 3s? I'm not sure yet.

I'd say they are close, with SF4 edging it out. If you take into account the top 3 of each game, and what we've seen at tournaments so far, you compare what, Ryu/Sagat/Gief to Ken/Yun/Chun and Makoto/Dudley/Urien to Rufus/Bison/Boxer or whatever, I think it's close. I will say though I don't see 3s tourneys being won, even over a ten year history, being won by middle of the road characters (Alex/Necro), whereas we've already seen that happen in 4 (Dhalsim is middle of the road in every tier list I've seen). Rufus is emerging as a dominant high-mid-tier, kind of like the Urien/Dudley of 4.

Also, 3s was the 3rd revision of the game. This is the first edition of 4. This game is tiny tweaks away from being really, really balanced (nerf Sagat's defense slightly, tweak the bottom a bit).

I like the pick up and play nature of ranked, since you don't have to sit through four matches before you see results.

There are dirty cheaters in both (rage quitters). But at least there isn't BP farming like in ranked mode. Also, the comp in G2 is sick.

MIMIC

Banned
Some Sagat had the nerve to taunt me once he had a big lead. :lol

2agkysi.jpg

I get to many in-game disconnections when playing as Fuerte.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Dark Geese hates NGBC? I had no idea! Would love to know what his thoughts are; guess I'll go ask him on Neo-Geo.com...

He also plays a good bit of KOF Neowave (or at least did) and KOF 2002 UM from the videos that he posts.

_dementia said:
Why would Lyte Edge care if it came out in the US?

Maybe because I live there? :lol

(I moved back from Japan in December!)

arstal said:
Arcade got an update. Home port is dead.

I have doubts VF6 will happen, and I'd say under 10% shot we ever see it in the US.

DLC and arcade talk doesn't mix! Yeah, VF5(R) arcade is well-supported and always has been; none of the other poly-based fighters get that kind of support (new items, customization options, tweaks and such) AFAIK. Haven't some (if not all) of the VF5 and R version upgrades even further balanced out the roster and added new moves?

I hope there is a VF6, but since I am now back in the U.S. it's not like I'd ever get to play it more than once or twice without a home release. But who knows? They never released Final Tuned for PS2 either.

Weird that a total DUD like Samurai Spirits Sen is getting a home release, but not VF5 R.

Lyte Edge

LakeEarth said:
That is such an awesome pic. It just says it all.

Yeah, I love it when idiots taunt you and then you fuck them up and come back to win the round/match!

TimeKillr

MIMIC said:
Some Sagat had the nerve to taunt me once he had a big lead. :lol

2agkysi.jpg

I get to many in-game disconnections when playing as Fuerte.

I get disconnects playing as Rufus.

On the match screen.

When they see I have a Rufus icon/text.

It's funny. I switched though, and strangely when I host I get people joining MUCH faster.

MoxManiac

Guys, opendns is just a set of dns numbers you can use in place of your isp's dns. Just go into ps3's connections and change the dns addresses to the one on the opendns.com site. I don't know the numbers by memory, sorry.

FindMyFarms said:
People would never disconnect me. Must have been the flower icon + love missionary tag lol.

Because they know you never win, lololol

TimeKillr

MoxManiac said:
Guys, opendns is just a set of dns numbers you can use in place of your isp's dns. Just go into ps3's connections and change the dns addresses to the one on the opendns.com site. I don't know the numbers by memory, sorry.

Because they know you never win, lololol

Seriously, if it's only a different DNS server and you're not doing anything else with it, there really shouldn't be any difference other than the resolving speed of domain names. Once you can connect to someone, no DNS server is going to do ANY sort of difference.

FindMyFarms said:
It's true, last time I played championship I got trained :(

Well, you suck, that's your problem. You can never RD me! :)

MoxManiac

TimeKillr said:
Seriously, if it's only a different DNS server and you're not doing anything else with it, there really shouldn't be any difference other than the resolving speed of domain names. Once you can connect to someone, no DNS server is going to do ANY sort of difference.

Well, you suck, that's your problem. You can never RD me! :)

The issue was that TWC's dns servers have been very unstable with PSN as of late for some reason- the cause of all the SF4 errors people have been getting.

I shouldn't have talked smack about koreans in this thread yesterday, because some korean tourist was at our arcades today and fucking schooled me.

I had to start using Sagat just to be able to eek out a couple of wins. Then of course I immediately left so he would forever thing that I'm better than him and that I was just holding out.

Pop On Arrival said:
I shouldn't have talked smack about koreans in this thread yesterday, because some korean tourist was at our arcades today and fucking schooled me.

I had to start using Sagat just to be able to eek out a couple of wins. Then of course I immediately left so he would forever thing that I'm better than him and that I was just holding out.

So do you have a pseudo british/filipino accent?

TimeKillr

FindMyFarms said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I'll let you have one of those two statements, your pick :p

One of the two, hmm? Damn.

Now I'm stuck. Which to choose? It's killing me!

Can't it be a little of both? I mean, you half suck and you half can't RD me?

MoxManiac said:
The issue was that TWC's dns servers have been very unstable with PSN as of late for some reason- the cause of all the SF4 errors people have been getting.

But even then - DNS servers do a SINGLE THING - domain name resolving. IE you send it "www.google.com" and it sends back "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". It does not affect connection speed between peers at all - the only thing it can affect is the speed at which it resolves named addresses into IP addresses. It won't make the connection smoother. I think the bigger problem with PSN is the people who play wireless. This KILLS network speed and latency, and it's most likely why sometimes you'll see serious stuttering with 4 bar connections while some 1-bar (I'm dead serious) are smooth as butter. I'm guessing the bar system is just the result of the ping with the other person, but ping doesn't account for connection stability.

FindMyFarms said:
So do you have a pseudo british/filipino accent?

I sound like your everyday american.

also, chun vs boxer, TIPS PLOZ.

The dude I was playing yesterday was probably the best boxer I've ever played and he was really giving me trouble. Was too impatient to wait for him to get bored of turtling, so I think that's why I lost, but I'm not sure. Fucking fierce headbutt takes away like 1/4th of Chuns HP.

Fucking imbalance bro. ;(

Lyte Edge

Just played my best G2 tournament yet-- A few people had really high BP, but I took the crown and got two perfect rounds in two different matches. Felt good!

Pop On Arrival said:
I sound like your everyday american.

also, chun vs boxer, TIPS PLOZ.
(

Which everyday american? Midwest, southern, east coast, etc.? How'd a brit raised in the islands get an american accent? I'm a curious fellow.

Chun v. Rog

You gotta turtle a lot in this match. Use general anti - rog tactics early when he doesn't have bar. I.E. focus bait to shut down his straights and force him to use torpedos, easier to outpoke, that turns his midscreen rushdown into a guessing game instead of a sure fire thing.

Once you get him cautious.... turtle lol. Throw lp FB's all day to make him react, if you get a knock down, make sure you cross him up, either to force him to waste bar with an ex upper escape, tap full screen and reset your zoning, or get pressured after the poke.

Your damage opportunities are minimal, but your defense in the match will be real tight, and you can really control the pace.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
It plays a bit like ST Chun vs Rog to me, just with a better Rog and worse Chun.

I think the matchup is even overall. Unlike Honda-Rog is 4-6 at best, maybe 3-7.

MIMIC

Banned
I can totally get to G1 with Fuerte, I believe :lol Just a little polish and I'll be on my way. You really don't have to worry about combos with him (other than the RSF). Just a good mix-up game and an understanding of your opponent's game.

I lost my first G2 match (Fuerte vs. Ryu) due to Ryu's 2nd chance Ultra. "We both traded and now you're in the air? No problem. I get a 2nd chance". He had a hair of life left :*(

I'm in a semi-final now. Had to beat a stupid Abel that kept trying to Focus Attack all of my advances. Ummmm, Fuerte has a solution for that nonsense: Fajita Buster. In the 2nd round, I had to beat a runaway Ryu that just kept air hurricaning his ass from one side to the other. It's so annoying having to chase people down. But I finally got him.

MIMIC said:
I can totally get to G1 with Fuerte, I believe :lol Just a little polish and I'll be on my way. You really don't have to worry about combos with him (other than the RSF). Just a good mix-up game and an understanding of your opponent's game.

I lost my first G2 match (Fuerte vs. Ryu) due to Ryu's 2nd chance Ultra. "We both traded and now you're in the air? No problem. I get a 2nd chance". He had a hair of life left :*(

I'm in a semi-final now. Had to beat a stupid Abel that kept trying to Focus Attack all of my advances. Ummmm, Fuerte has a solution for that nonsense: Fajita Buster. In the 2nd round, I had to beat a runaway Ryu that just kept air hurricaning his ass from one side to the other. It's so annoying having to chase people down. But I finally got him.
Why are you thinkign its like impossible to get to G1 with Fuerte...

He's not like utter shit.. I've gotten to nearly 10k GP with him and it hasn't been like impossible.

Either way.. I slowed down a lot.. Gonna ramp it back up this week. Been busy the past few weeks with real life.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Hell I'll probably hit G1 with my terribad Honda in a few weeks. Championship mode is more of a time commitment instead of a skill thing.

MIMIC

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Why are you thinkign its like impossible to get to G1 with Fuerte...

Impossible? No. Impossible with ME is a different story :lol

Archie said:
Championship mode is more of a time commitment instead of a skill thing.

If there were Grades in Player matches, I'd be an S already.

FindMyFarms said:
Which everyday american? Midwest, southern, east coast, etc.? How'd a brit raised in the islands get an american accent? I'm a curious fellow.

Chun v. Rog

You gotta turtle a lot in this match. Use general anti - rog tactics early when he doesn't have bar. I.E. focus bait to shut down his straights and force him to use torpedos, easier to outpoke, that turns his midscreen rushdown into a guessing game instead of a sure fire thing.

Once you get him cautious.... turtle lol. Throw lp FB's all day to make him react, if you get a knock down, make sure you cross him up, either to force him to waste bar with an ex upper escape, tap full screen and reset your zoning, or get pressured after the poke.

Your damage opportunities are minimal, but your defense in the match will be real tight, and you can really control the pace.

I dunno, my accent just naturally went away the longer I stayed here. I don't think I have an accent anymore. Also, I wasn't born here. My parents moved when I was like 8-10(not sure)

Also, thanks for the tips. I just need to be more patient in my play, I guess. I'm so used to just rushing down shitty Sagats, but that crap just doesn't fly against decent boxers.

Teknoman

bistromathics said:
Is there any room open on the GAF SFIV friends list? I'm on the SFIV 2 list, but more people = more possible games.

EDIT: 360

Its got 93 friends on it, so I think there is still more room.

So I decide to play a championship before going to bed. The first match is against an 8,000 BP Ryu (mind you, I'm only 3,000). I win. The next is against an 8,000 Sagat. I win. I next run into a 4,000 Crimson Viper. I win. But then I run into a 7,000 Gen in the championship. In the first round, he perfects me. Second round, he kills me with the hundred hands, super cancelled into super. I had no defense against him, as I don't really play many matches against Gens.

Frustrating. But the game really is a grind fest. Either in the manner you move up the levels or just learning. Once you develop a solid game of footsies, know the matchups and have a good combo fundamentals, the game starts to open up. My problem is the match ups, since I don't really play much.

dfyb

Banned
G3/G2 are pointless and should have been merged. i'm sick of the grindfest -- i want to get to the bracket with penalties so that GP actually means something.

MIMIC

Banned
Yay. I'm 4-2 in G2-E championship (lost my first 2 matches then won a final) with Fuerte. Had a decent showing of opponents: Abel in 1st round, Ryu in 2nd (of course), Guile in semi-final and a what I suspect was a cheating Rufus in the final. The match started lagging out as I was running and he started his Ultra. SHENANIGANS! But he missed so whatever.

I kinda felt bad for spamming the Tostada Press. :lol

ultim8p00

Banned
So I just decided to mess with Zangief a bit, just to see how hard he is to master...and...omg. Lariat is ONE BUTTON PRESS? Seriously? Wow.

LakeEarth

When your character has something that can stuff the lariat, most online Zangief players are clueless. It's very rare where a Zangief will actually change up and adjust, they usually keep trying the lariat.

Kccitystar

LakeEarth said:
When your character has something that can stuff the lariat, most online Zangief players are clueless. It's very rare where a Zangief will actually change up and adjust, they usually keep trying the lariat.

Good Zangiefs use the green hand to move around the stage and only grab when you whiff

Top Bottom