• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

TimeKillr

TurtleSnatcher said:
And fail...

Arturo doesn't play Fuerte.. he plays Dhalsim and Seth.

Kai and Buktooth were the ones that used Fuerte in the SBO.

I fixed your fail.

I suck :) Listen dude, it was like midnight, I was up since 6am and I worked during the morning, not to mention I spent the rest of the day with a lovely woman. :)

So there, I suck! Arturo's sim was beastly, but I remember a good Fuerte. Must've been Buktooth's :)

TimeKillr

FindMyFarms said:
I was going to point that out too, but I knew you'd do a better job of making known the fail. You'll have to forgive timekillr, a few too many RD's have made his memory questionable.

I'm getting a new ps3 today.

New PS3?

Huzzah! You can die at the hands of whoever I use.

I did fail horribly. I can probably let you win a round or two to wash away the shame, though.

Grifter

Spiderjericho said:
I'll add Mini PEZ and Lord Relix to my friend list. I want to say Grifter is already my friend.

Haven't checked this thread in a while but I don't think we're friends, unless I just don't know who you are from your GT. Otherwise, feel free to add me!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Grifter! You don't ever mess with tournaments? Your Akuma is pretty sick. Been taking time off from online--think the grind has really caused me to hit a wall. No motivation right now. When I do happen to play it's like I'm just going through the motions. :-(

Grifter said:
Haven't checked this thread in a while but I don't think we're friends, unless I just don't know who you are from your GT. Otherwise, feel free to add me!

I haven't touched the game in maybe a week and a half. GAFCHAT, haven't logged into it (though it was pretty much dead the last time I was there). I opted out of participating in the new PS3/Live tournament.

Not to say I'm not in love with the game, just my teaching job beckoning and my wind down time spent on solitaire.

I promise to add you by the end of the week.

And that stream still doesn't work. WTF? I want to see Valle heat up. Now, I'm all hyped for SBO. Too bad the DVDs are expensive. It would be nice if they dropped a Bluray, since those are usually region free and can obviously hold more matches. Arcadia cheap skates.

TimeKillr

Spiderjericho said:
I haven't touched the game in maybe a week and a half. GAFCHAT, haven't logged into it (though it was pretty much dead the last time I was there). I opted out of participating in the new PS3/Live tournament.

Not to say I'm not in love with the game, just my teaching job beckoning and my wind down time spent on solitaire.

And that stream still doesn't work. WTF? I want to see Valle heat up. Now, I'm all hyped for SBO. Too bad the DVDs are expensive. It would be nice if they dropped a Bluray, since those are usually region free and can obviously hold more matches. Arcadia cheap skates.

See you gotta get back online so we can do randoms.

I love fighting you random - it teaches me new tricks :)

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Spiderjericho said:

Buy the SF4 Nationals DVD by enterbrain, that's the only DVD worth your money right now. I love SBO but their DVDs are a complete ripoff... the SF4 Nationals DVD gives you all 128 matches from the tournament plus a near 30 minute interview with Iyo/Kindevu about their matchup, definitely worth the cash.

TimeKillr said:
See you gotta get back online so we can do randoms.

I love fighting you random - it teaches me new tricks :)

Eh, Solitaire is always random. But I'll hop on during the weekend. We can play. I'm not sure if I want to random. Maybe we can pick four characters and just round robin it. We'll see.

Combofiend is so sick with C.Viper. I haven't seen any footage of Valle, but I hope his game is tight, as they're obviously going into the den of the lion during SBO.

Oichi said:
Buy the SF4 Nationals DVD by enterbrain, that's the only DVD worth your money right now. I love SBO but their DVDs are a complete ripoff... the SF4 Nationals DVD gives you all 128 matches from the tournament plus a near 30 minute interview with Iyo/Kindevu about their matchup, definitely worth the cash.
Is is region locked?

dfyb

Banned
i usually play on PS3 but i'm practicing on live with my 360 stick. i'm getting the same opponents way more often than on PSN. anyone else experience this? i've only been playing an hour or two and have faced this same guy playing sagat like 4 times, and several others 2 or 3 times

edit: more anectdotes:

also, sagat seems like the clear favorite for XBL users. but there's also more blanka/honda than on PSN

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
FindMyFarms said:
As for NGBC, all I can say at that game is:lol :lol :lol I dunno if you know who Dark Geese is, but he's a top player at kof xi in America, and pretty much the biggest SNK whore in the world, we play casuals sometimes and the fact that he doesn't like NGBC says volumes (I mean this guy likes ANYTHING made by snk lol):lol :lol

Bit late on this response, but I asked Dark Geese about this. His response:

Dark_Geese said:
Who said I hated NGBC? I like NGBC a lot, I think it needs a sequel actually. I pretty much play anything SNK.

I dont hate any SNK game...The ones I play the least are Garou MOTW (feels too Capcom0ish) and RB2.

So, uh...huh?

:lol

LakeEarth

I just Haunts'd a Sagat with my E Honda. It was sweet. HP headbutt once to see if he's a Sagat that throws a tiger shot after blocking it, do it the second time when you have ultra :lol

And I've noticed a rise in good 2000-4000gp players. I'm guessing G1ers that got tired of waiting for matches and made new accounts?

LakeEarth said:
I just Haunts'd a Sagat with my E Honda. It was sweet. HP headbutt once to see if he's a Sagat that throws a tiger shot after blocking it, do it the second time when you have ultra :lol

And I've noticed a rise in good 2000-4000gp players. I'm guessing G1ers that got tired of waiting for matches and made new accounts?
oh hell, are people not going to let him live it down?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So I had my very first person ragequit on me today. I felt pretty happy about that, I'm pretty much awful at this game so the fact that there's someone worse than me playing online made me :D.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
LakeEarth said:

Dude. :/

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Relix said:
Man I played a Zangief last night 3 times that broke me down. Shit, I was perfect, he had less than 1/3 of life. He jumps in, poke poke poke, BAM grab. I dash away from him as I stand up, jump over him for a crossup... BAM ULTRA. Grabs me... Chun is dead. I was practically perfect. Second round was something similar, but far more bullshit. I woke up with EX SBK, he blocked. He was away, but he poked and instantly unleashed Ultra... grabbed me. Dead.

Zangief needs nerfing =(
Haha, I know the feeling. Sometimes it doesn't matter how carefully or perfectly you play, one mistake - just enough for him to get momentum - and it can be over.

I worked my way through a tough championship last night, almost losing it to a pretty decent Zangief in the semis... just before I could breath a sigh of relief, along comes a 'Gief with about 15,000GP to utterly destroy me in the final.

Talk about ending a session on a low note :lol

Lyte Edge said:
Bit late on this response, but I asked Dark Geese about this. His response:

So, uh...huh?

:lol

That's on me then lol. I could have sworn I heard/read him say he didn't like it. But obviously he knows his preferences more than I do :lol

And jeez, how many pages back was that? Do you read this thread in chapters lol?

Won

The last few days showed me how terrible the ultra system is in this games.
Have seen too many decent to good players, who fell apart as soon they had an ultra ready.... :/

hobart

I know Gootecks and EdMa are boys but... highlight of that whole vid for me was how the announcers were trashing Valle.... only to watch him run off like 6 in a row. I know he's considered a weaker player... but... damn... when he watches that vid... it's gotta be a little satisfying for him ;)

FindMyFarms said:
Is Haunt a new meme now

This has nothing to do with the quote.

Farms, how good is your Akuma? I'm going to a tournament in a month or so and the only person who's actually wrecked me there is an awesome, awesome Akuma. I need to learn that matchup for Guile and Cammy before then.

Anyone else on PSN have a solid or better Akuma? My PSN is Killasasa

Won said:
Have seen too many decent to good players, who fell apart as soon they had an ultra ready.... :/

But that's the player's fault not the Ultra, right? That's where the best players are gauged really: striking the balance between not having to rely on an Ultra to win, but also creatign situations to capitalize with it.

Killa Sasa said:
This has nothing to do with the quote.

Farms, how good is your Akuma? I'm going to a tournament in a month or so and the only person who's actually wrecked me there is an awesome, awesome Akuma. I need to learn that matchup for Guile and Cammy before then.

Anyone else on PSN have a solid or better Akuma? My PSN is Killasasa

What kind of Akuma does that person play? Or are they Ed Ma godly and do/adjust to everything very well?

Grifter

bob_arctor said:
Grifter! You don't ever mess with tournaments? Your Akuma is pretty sick. Been taking time off from online--think the grind has really caused me to hit a wall. No motivation right now. When I do happen to play it's like I'm just going through the motions. :-(

I've won a few locals and have some travels mapped out with friends, but I've slowed lately as well. Being out of school and having no arcades now, I don't get to play daily like I used to for older games. We used to roadtrip for stuff like Guilty Gear (won a few of those =).

Since I'm playing mostly online, I'm finding that the timing varies greatly for me going online, then offline on my 360 and HDTV, then offline on a PS3 and SDTV, etc. and it bothers me a lot since my offline game is heavily based on quick reactions and punishing in tight windows.

Maybe I can help you get back into this? I find that taking a while off and experimenting with new styles gets me going again.

h3ro

What would you guys think of a "Classic" gameplay option? No Ultra/Ultra bar, no focus attacks. Just the Super attacks/Super bar divided into four for EX moves.

I think it would be interesting mode to play. What do you all think?

Won said:
i guess

nothing beats the guess parry express tho

h3ro said:
What would you guys think of a "Classic" gameplay option? No Ultra/Ultra bar, no focus attacks. Just the Super attacks/Super bar divided into four for EX moves.

Maaaaybe a no ultra mode, but taking out FAs in SF4 is like stripping it of all its charms. The game is fine as it is, it's just a matter of not freaking when you/the other person gets an ultra and knowing how to punish/not be punished by one. Basically, it takes time and effort.

h3ro said:

Supers showed up in Super II. EXes didn't show up in SF until III (well, they were Street Fighter the Movie before that if you want to split hairs).

"Classic" sounds more like no meters other than health bar, normals and specials only.

But yeah FAs are the soul of this game!

h3ro

I thought about it a little more and I agree, FAs are now part of the game mechanic for IV. So let's keep FA and Supers. Just get rid of Ultras perhaps go back to the old throw mechanic.

I dunno, a stripped down version sounds kind of appealing to me, trying to see if it would to anyone else. Just throwing out some random ideas. :D

Also, I guess I'm a little tired of Ultra spamming online which sometimes connect due to lag.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Grifter said:
I've won a few locals and have some travels mapped out with friends, but I've slowed lately as well. Being out of school and having no arcades now, I don't get to play daily like I used to for older games. We used to roadtrip for stuff like Guilty Gear (won a few of those =).

Since I'm playing mostly online, I'm finding that the timing varies greatly for me going online, then offline on my 360 and HDTV, then offline on a PS3 and SDTV, etc. and it bothers me a lot since my offline game is heavily based on quick reactions and punishing in tight windows.

Maybe I can help you get back into this? I find that taking a while off and experimenting with new styles gets me going again.

Yeah, my whole thing now is to take some time off and come back and maybe just get into someone I haven't used at all like Viper. I'm burnt out on Gen right now despite loving his style and I still haven't been able to master mk>hands consistently which pisses me off since its so vital to him. Mostly what's been getting me down though is the grind of Champ. mode and dealing with the same-same type of Ryu, Ken, etc. and the feeling that I'm never learning anything to improve my game since really outright good players seem to be so few and far between. In matches like those I can't even be bothered to really attempt to win since it all feels so familiar and formulaic. Interesting that you mention GG btw--definitely looking forward to BlazBlue even though I haven't touched GG since the Dreamcast and it seems that will be another game for you to kick my ass in.

Until then I think I will try to finish/play some of my disgusting backlog and then come back feeling fresh.

BitchTits

I'd really like a random select for your favorite characters. I'm sick of getting a string of shotos every time I use random select. :lol

Seriously though, I'm ready for an update to SF4, DLC characters, more backgrounds, nerfing/tweaking whatever.

Grifter

bob_arctor said:
Yeah, my whole thing now is to take some time off and come back and maybe just get into someone I haven't used at all like Viper. I'm burnt out on Gen right now despite loving his style and I still haven't been able to master mk>hands consistently which pisses me off since its so vital to him. Mostly what's been getting me down though is the grind of Champ. mode and dealing with the same-same type of Ryu, Ken, etc. and the feeling that I'm never learning anything to improve my game since really outright good players seem to be so few and far between. In matches like those I can't even be bothered to really attempt to win since it all feels so familiar and formulaic. Interesting that you mention GG btw--definitely looking forward to BlazBlue even though I haven't touched GG since the Dreamcast and it seems that will be another game for you to kick my ass in.

Until then I think I will try to finish/play some of my disgusting backlog and then come back feeling fresh.

Viper's another project. Maybe you should switch to someone simple and effective for a bit, like the dude in your avatar. I need to revisit some characters too. I get bored if I don't play someone relatively difficult, but easy stuff is nice to have when I'm up against solid players. I'll send an invite (or vice versa) if you're online for trying stuff.

h3ro

Teknopathetic said:
"Also, I guess I'm a little tired of Ultra spamming online which sometimes connect due to lag."

This would happen with supers, too.

True, but at least it takes longer to build up to that Super and the player has to weigh out use of the Super versus using a part of the bar for an EX move to avoid a fireball or something.

Won

myDingling said:
But that's the player's fault not the Ultra, right? That's where the best players are gauged really: striking the balance between not having to rely on an Ultra to win, but also creatign situations to capitalize with it.

I said "decent to good" for a reason. :p
Not everyone is "the best" or perfect. Quite the opposite. Most people suck and after so many months I can't blame the players anymore. Ultras take up too much room in the player's mind at the moment.

"I said "decent to good" for a reason. :p
Not everyone is "the best" or perfect. Quite the opposite. Most people suck and after so many months I can't blame the players anymore. Ultras take up too much room in the player's mind at the moment."

You could make that argument with some aspect of just about every single fighting game ever. Way to be silly.

hobart said:
I know Gootecks and EdMa are boys but... highlight of that whole vid for me was how the announcers were trashing Valle.... only to watch him run off like 6 in a row. I know he's considered a weaker player... but... damn... when he watches that vid... it's gotta be a little satisfying for him ;)

It was actually the other guy (slasher?) saying that Valle was slipping. Gootecks was defending him saying that Ed Ma/Ken I are great players so just being a little off can make you look bad. But yea, Valle's run was NICE.

I could see how someone could really dislike Gootecks' commentary, but I thought it was hilarious. If I didn't know what the audio was from, I could swear it was an old ECW video.

Top Bottom