• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

BotoxAgent said:
maybe it's because I main Chun Li, but everytime I run into these shoto flowcharters....they are extremely jump crazy. It does throw me off at times mainly because Chun's AA options are kinda tricky. Do they jump a lot when you see them? It's almost comical and sad how they do it.
jump RH, cr.RH is like their second favorite thing besides shoryuken

edit: oh yeah, and jump back fireball

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Eliminate Seth and put Urien in

Makoto, Ibuki and Dudley are the other 3rd Strike Priorities to a SF4: Turbo

then add a new Character....Rose can go

Nose Master

bdizzle said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

I AM THE RED CYCLONE
810504c6f4d40637348f19c88befa14f.gif

Fucking amazing. Where is this from?

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Eliminate Seth and put Urien in

Makoto, Ibuki and Dudley are the other 3rd Strike Priorities to a SF4: Turbo

then add a new Character....Rose can go
yay i'd love to see aegis setups make their return

LakeEarth

Do we really need more characters? SFII went from 8->12->17, SFIII went 10 -> 14 -> 20. SFIV is already at 25 (16 (17?) -> 25 if you count arcade to consoles). 25 is a lot of characters. Some balancing would be nice though.

LakeEarth said:
Do we really need more characters? SFII went from 8->12->17, SFIII went 10 -> 14 -> 20. SFIV is already at 25 (16 (17?) -> 25 if you count arcade to consoles). 25 is a lot of characters. Some balancing would be nice though.

Agreed. I'd make an exception for maybe 1 or 2 brand new characters, but otherwise the game needs some tweaking as is. Introducing old chars into the mix seems counterintuitive.

the characters are not the problem.

it is the game. busted and broken, the Ultra revenge meter is the worst thing that ever happened to an SF game in a long time

why did they remove SF3 super jumps in SF4? who the fuck knows.. watch Cammy hug the extreme corner of the wide-screen waiting for you to apporache, watch Ryu sit on his Ultra waiting for you to do his easy LP DP juggle into guh-Ultra

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
_dementia said:
How so?

I can see some Guile in Remy, and a bit of Dhalsim in Necro I guess.

Hugo is a lot like Zangief. Dudley is technically a Balrog...

etc. I do find the SF3 gameplay much faster and technical

LakeEarth

Dudley and Necro do seem like Balrog and Dhalsim ripoffs, but they really play differently. Necro can do serious damage up close, while Dhalsim doesn't want to be close at all unless doing some throw/super tricks. Alex is a little SSFII Honda-ey, but most people didn't notice.

The 4 newcomers are very inspired. Each is badass in his own way.

The console characters on the other hand are mostly disposable. The console release was basically a location test for them.

For SF4 dash I'd like to see the old characters brought back in as strong, thoroughly developed characters. Also, rework the console characters.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
gutter_trash said:
the characters are not the problem.

it is the game. busted and broken, the Ultra revenge meter is the worst thing that ever happened to an SF game in a long time

why did they remove SF3 super jumps in SF4? who the fuck knows.. watch Cammy hug the extreme corner of the wide-screen waiting for you to apporache, watch Ryu sit on his Ultra waiting for you to do his easy LP DP juggle into guh-Ultra

i agree mostly, ultra needs to go.

as for the characters, i just think all those Alphas in the game are throw aways, Sf3 characters would fit this engine much better i think. plus their personalities and designs are better.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Ultra just needs to be balanced out, so that some chars have 8 ways to land ultras, and others 0.

I would want more characters, and more balancing. Nerf Sagat/Balrog, buff up much of the rest of the cast.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Technically it's five new characters, since Gouken, while not playable, was introduced (in-game) in SFA2.

arstal said:
Ultra just needs to be balanced out, so that some chars have 8 ways to land ultras, and others 0.

I would want more characters, and more balancing. Nerf Sagat/Balrog, buff up much of the rest of the cast.

Nerf Ryu a bit there, too! Ditch ultras or tone them the way the hell down.

arstal said:

This I agree with. Yesterday a Rufus fucking kicked me into Ultra. ONE stupid kick. Whereas I need to put my ass on the line with two very risky moves and then bust out some really strict timing to get a good juggle into ultra.

myDingling said:
This I agree with. Yesterday a Rufus fucking kicked me into Ultra. ONE stupid kick. Whereas I need to put my ass on the line with two very risky moves and then bust out some really strict timing to get a good juggle into ultra.
short, roundhouse, ultra is like the unfairest shit ever :(
air-to-air roundhouse followed by ultra or EX snake strike burns like a mofo too, but i've learned not to fall for it

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
you guys think that's bad? i play guile. last time i threw an ultra it was at CTF vs a friends Blanka. he threw his ultra mid screen for a chip damage win and i threw mine on his initial jump. won the match, azn's cheered in the background.

_dementia said:
jon bones does

I want Q goddamn it, but that's just wishful thinking

damn man you're like my only gaf friend :lol

SFIV dash... the very thought makes me smile. can't wait to see what's cooking.

while i'm in here, anyone know if it's gotten easier to buy a SFTE stick at a gamestop? i'm about ready to buy a second stick for my apartment... too much bitching among my friends for who gets to use the stick :lol

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
jon bones said:
you guys think that's bad? i play guile. last time i threw an ultra it was at CTF vs a friends Blanka. he threw his ultra mid screen for a chip damage win and i threw mine on his initial jump. won the match, azn's cheered in the background.

damn man you're like my only gaf friend :lol

SFIV dash... the very thought makes me smile. can't wait to see what's cooking.

while i'm in here, anyone know if it's gotten easier to buy a SFTE stick at a gamestop? i'm about ready to buy a second stick for my apartment... too much bitching among my friends for who gets to use the stick :lol

Both Newegg and Best Buy sites have the PS3 version in stock right now. Get it while you can. Also there seems to be a lot of fightpads in stock as well.

Kadey said:
Both Newegg and Best Buy sites have the PS3 version in stock right now. Get it while you can. Also there seems to be a lot of fightpads in stock as well.
he's looking for a 360 one. i would know. I'm his gaf friend.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
my nigga dementia is right, i'm 360 only for now. i kind of want to get one before my birthday next week... will be a fun surprise for kids who crash at my place to wake up with the full SFIV experience in my living room.

i'll let you guys know how my hunt turns out.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Timedog said:
Hugo is the best fighting game character ever.

Oh, he's definitely up there, no question. I miss pulling off a standing Gigas after hiding the motion in a close standing LK and the look of fear/shock it inspired. And I definitely miss the Patty-Cake Slap Of Doom. *sigh*

LakeEarth said:
Haha, yeah I believe we ended with a 21 me 17 you final. Your Gen was quite good, and when your Ryu was on offense I had a hard time stopping you. What do you think about my Rufus? I've just started to get good with him. I apparently need to learn Balrog as well, as I keep winning when I get him picking random.

I hope you didn't hear me when I started swearing when your Balrog got that dash punch -> super, "I was blocking FUCK GAAHHHHHH!!"

Seriously though, good Gen, TWICE I jumped into the ultra! Tricky cross-ups, and that damn shallow jump always shuts down my offense.

I could tell Abel was your main, or at least one of them--you carried yourself much more calmly and methodically with him. With Rufus you could tell you weren't totally used to him as you were missing a lot of set-ups--you really need to get that EX Snake Strike move he has to connect more often. Does such ludicrous damage in a combo. And definitely spam that dive kick more. Shades of Yun/Yang for real.

That Ryu you fought was my friend. I don't do shotos anymore save Sakura--and I should have gone back to her as I was pissed to have lost those matches to your Rufus. You gotta work so hard with her though. Balrog--yeah, he's a fucking pain in the ass. Dude out prioritizes so much and he's so damn strong on top of it and his style is so generally defensive that it's just no fun fighting him. I think he's my least favorite match-up for Gen to be honest.

And on that loss you had to Balrog on the dash>super--me and my friend were saying that you probably were cursing your ass off on that one. Classic SF right there.

AZ Greg

jon bones said:
my nigga dementia is right, i'm 360 only for now. i kind of want to get one before my birthday next week... will be a fun surprise for kids who crash at my place to wake up with the full SFIV experience in my living room.

i'll let you guys know how my hunt turns out.

You can get one online from the Mad Catz/Gameshark store, but they include some accessories with the stick (faceplate, skins, etc...) and charge $200.

YakiSOBA

Question: Traditionally... when a new version of SF came out, were there radical changes like adding new moves to characters, new combos, and things like that?

dfyb

Banned
MIMIC said:
Gouken can absorb hits in the AIR?? WTF
from his demon flip, he can do:
-punch button (absorb 1 hit)
-kick button (dive kick)
-throw (throws opponent, works on standing and crouched enemy)

MIMIC said:
Gouken can absorb hits in the AIR?? WTF

Good games tonight!
I'm rastex on XBL, and main Gouken.

We had some pretty intense matches.
Gouken's wake-up game is pretty crap, so it's a tough matchup vs El Fuerte.

MIMIC

Banned
Omar Ismail said:
Good games tonight!
I'm rastex on XBL, and main Gouken.

We had some pretty intense matches.
Gouken's wake-up game is pretty crap, so it's a tough matchup vs El Fuerte.

Yeah. GG. You're the first Gouken I've played that used that flip on me that absorbed hits. I thought it was an air focus attack at first :lol

yeah gouken is one of fuerte's easier matchups

Hmm. Maybe. I don't fight many Goukens (shown my by ignorance of his "air focus attack") so I guess I'm still learning the match-up.

MIMIC said:
Yeah. GG. You're the first Gouken I've played that used that flip on me that absorbed hits. I thought it was an air focus attack at first :lol

Hmm. Maybe. I don't fight many Goukens (shown my by ignorance of his "air focus attack") so I guess I'm still learning the match-up.
:lol

It's like, "dammit, how come nobody told me you can do air focus attacks!!"

karasu

BotoxAgent said:
maybe it's because I main Chun Li, but everytime I run into these shoto flowcharters....they are extremely jump crazy. It does throw me off at times mainly because Chun's AA options are kinda tricky. Do they jump a lot when you see them? It's almost comical and sad how they do it.

God yes! It doesn't matter who I play with either. The sad thing is I often lose to it. :lol

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
BotoxAgent said:

i mainly play guile, and i still get tons of shotos in g2 who just keep jumping at me and eating crouch fierces and flashkicks. some of them have got pretty high gp too

then again i was playing a good dhalsim today and couldn't get myself to stop jumping in even though i kept eating that one knee move

LakeEarth said:

SRSLY. I'm worried about T6BR, with it's 96 characters. How the hell am I supposed to learn that many matchups?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Just passing by to remind you guys...

To do your tourney fights!!

I will not delay and will just start to forfeit everyone randomly this coming Wednesday.

Top Bottom