• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Om3ga

Lost Fragment said:
Show me a video of this or something.
I don't have a way of capturing video a friend showed me Last night.

But basically he did standing fierce -> Dash(no super meter use) to show "proof of concept" when he figured it out. Then an hour later after figuring it out he did more advanced stuff like Seismo -> Dash, chain combo -> Dash, etc while i was blocking to show that he figured it out and all without using super meter and that he was indeed dash canceling.

I'm not sure if it was FADC, but it was definitely a DC.

It stopped when all of the bracket insanity started. All of your favorites got sent to the loser's because all of the great players were pitted against each other. Wong vs. Ross!!! Ortiz vs. Choi!! Watson vs. Gootecks!! Ken I vs. Ortiz!! Combofiend vs. Ed Ma.

They're replaying the Friday stream.

Just hit "Next Slideshow" on the UStream to skip through to the SF4 coverage..

Anyways.. Had another tourney here in the Dallas area..

It was small and we all knew eachother lawlz But it was fun. We had 3 GAFers there.. Myself, FindMyFarms, and dfyb

dfyb tied for 7th, I got 4th, and FindMyFarms got 3rd.

EDIT: I'm uploading the loser finals and grand finals from this as well.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Spiderjericho said:
Oh ok. I thought it was more epic than that. Most of these rivalries are a result of pointless ish talking. Guess Justin said something earlier in the stream that he though Marn and he were the favorites for the tournament. Mike Ross says GTFOH!!

Mike Ross gets Bonged by J.Wong. It was a lil close but not too much. The Dive kick was too much for Honda. Great, some TS coverage.

I'm not sure which game I prefer. I wish there were universal overheads in IV and super jumps (to jump over retarded ultra setups).

Uh, I'm not sure I follow. What "retarded ultra setups" could you avoid with a super jump? There isn't anything IMO... and UOH would be pretty stupid in IV considering most characters have a ground-based overhead anyway.

TimeKillr

Om3ga said:

But basically he did standing fierce -> Dash(no super meter use) to show "proof of concept" when he figured it out. Then an hour later after figuring it out he did more advanced stuff like Seismo -> Dash, chain combo -> Dash, etc while i was blocking to show that he figured it out and all without using super meter and that he was indeed dash canceling.

It's probably SJC cancelled into a dash. It's horribly hard to do, though.

Viper's 3rd trial (which I'm stuck on, heh) requires a SJC off a few links into the ultra. I have absolutely no clue how to pull that off.

It just goes to show that Viper is freaking insane with all that stuff. She's an execution-based character, like Akira is in VF. Horribly difficult to play but very rewarding. I've started to pick her up and I'm still in training but as time goes by I get more and more accurate with her.

**edit**

Turns out it's exactly that :)

SJC FADC is the term. It's a Super Jump Cancel (cancels out a lot of normals and some specials) with a Focus Attack. Basically, to do what your friend did with the EX Seismo, you do

f, d, df, PP, d, uf, (very quickly) mp+mk, dash forward

It's exactly what this guy does at the 5:53 mark in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buytEsezTPE

Btw that guy has a completely insane viper. He does a SJC ultra earlier in the vid at 1:51, linked from a c.wp. Viper is pretty much the only character in the game that can link her Ultra off freaking weak attacks, and AFAIK you can SJC off chains (which is a huge thing in SF4 since you can only cancel into specials off links, not chains).

Oichi said:
Uh, I'm not sure I follow. What "retarded ultra setups" could you avoid with a super jump? There isn't anything IMO... and UOH would be pretty stupid in IV considering most characters have a ground-based overhead anyway.

Ryu and Sagat wouldn't be able to lock you down with uppercut>FADC>Ultra. And the UOH were quicker than the normal overheads but did little damage. But it was great for mixups and rushing.

And looking at HD Remix on the stream. The pokes and footsies are a little better than IV.

Today is going to be a lot of finals at Devestation, so stay tuned.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Spiderjericho said:
Ryu and Sagat wouldn't be able to lock you down with uppercut>FADC>Ultra.

And... how exactly would a super jump help you out of that? I'm not following your line of logic AT ALL on this topic so you're gonna have to explain it to me a bit more thoroughly. To me a super jump does nothing to defend/avoid an Ultra setup of any kind except for the ones that are primarily used for jump-ins (Honda, Fuerte, Vega, Guile, etc.). It would do nothing against an uppercut/Ultra IMO.

Oichi said:
And... how exactly would a super jump help you out of that? I'm not following your line of logic AT ALL on this topic so you're gonna have to explain it to me a bit more thoroughly. To me a super jump does nothing to defend/avoid an Ultra setup of any kind except for the ones that are primarily used for jump-ins (Honda, Fuerte, Vega, Guile, etc.). It would do nothing against an uppercut/Ultra IMO.

With the super jump, you could jump over the jab srk and add to the mixups in the game. I didn't say it eliminates Sagat/Ryu FADC shenanigans but it would help to negate the jab situations. But then again, I haven't played TS in a minute...will have to go play it and see how high you can hop up.

And Mike Watson got peaced by Wong.

Who is this Flash Metriod Cat? He just beat Marn. Ouch. I will say that super cancel into the super does little damage.

Ed Ma has another C.Viper match.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Spiderjericho said:
Who is this Flash Metriod Cat? He just beat Marn. Ouch. I will say that super cancel into the super does little damage.

Ed Ma has another C.Viper match.

Flash is the best C.Viper player on the EC, arguably the US. Although it is surprising to see Marn lose.

Mike ROSS!

What kind of questions are these? And Gootecks seems confident in regards to Ross coming out of losers. Aren't Watson, Marn, Buk all in loser's? And he's still harping on the brackets.

John Choi is up one set with J.Wong.

Skilotonn said:
Damn, I feel pissed for Choi - he got robbed big time and deserved that win. Too bad he messed up.

He missed up on his execution. I think he won the match, personally. His game was superior to Wong's but Wong's execution was superior to Choi's.

This tournament is crazy. And the loser's bracket is ridiculous.

We now have Ed Ma vs. Justin Wong. My money is on Wong. Though Ed Ma has some tricks.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Spiderjericho said:
He missed up on his execution. I think he won the match, personally. His game was superior to Wong's but Wong's execution was superior to Choi's.

This tournament is crazy. And the loser's bracket is ridiculous.

We now have Ed Ma vs. Justin Wong. My money is on Wong. Though Ed Ma has some tricks.

That's a perfect way of putting it - should have been a clean sweep if Choi didn't slip up...

Choi is so damn good with those EX Hadoukens - they connect every single time, especially in Choi's following match that just ended (forgot who his opponent was, he just beat a Rufus)...

And yeah, loser's bracket is nuts right now - the favorites are all evenly split between winners & losers so you basically HAVE to see every single match - although they don't stream them all...

Spiderjericho said:
WTH happened to Buck, Mike Ross, etc?

Dunno if Buktooth had a match since his win, but Ross won against Gootecks in the loser's bracket and I think there's a final loser's match after the break with him vs. whoever else...

SpectreRT

They did not really "mess up" the brackets, its just poor design.

The individuals running the tourney thought it would be smart to set up the brackets by 1) Location and 2) Skill.

Thus, the Cal scene is forced to fight themselves early, etc etc.

Crazy stuff. I have never seen a tourney done like this.

This is lame, except for the Kill Bill music. I want to see Third Strike. Nothing personal except KOF XII, but I'd prefer to see high level TS.

And they said John Choi was in the loser's final. I never saw Buktooth, Mike Watson, Mike Ross, etc have a follow up match.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Spiderjericho said:
This is lame, except for the Kill Bill music. I want to see Third Strike. Nothing personal except KOF XII, but I'd prefer to see high level TS.

And they said John Choi was in the loser's final. I never saw Buktooth, Mike Watson, Mike Ross, etc have a follow up match.

Out of the matches you mentioned, only Ross' match was streamed, and it was pretty disappointing really - they both turtled near the end of every round, Ross edged out in the end - nothing special, no combos, no tricks, nothing.

FoxSpirit

Skilotonn said:
Out of the matches you mentioned, only Ross' match was streamed, and it was pretty disappointing really - they both turtled near the end of every round, Ross edged out in the end - nothing special, no combos, no tricks, nothing.

And that was the awesome part. 20 second turtling FTW :lol

On the Xbox side of the house, I added My Dingling, Relix, Turtlesnatcher, etc to my friends list. I don't really play on Live too much, but I'd like to switch it up.

And it's the Justin Wong show. He's like in almost every final.

John Choi vs. Ken I. Ed Ma vs. Justin Wong. The loser of Ma/Wong vs the winner of Choi/Ken then the grand finals.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Well, I'm in G1 now.

There's just not enough players. Quality of opponents is higher. The flowcharters are still there, but they're a bit smarter about it.

I'm still winning at about a 65-70% clip there. I just wish I could translate that to offline. Then again, it doesn't help that everyone locally plays a char that rapes Honda.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Om3ga said:

This?

GriffD17

So, late to the party. And late to the me sucking party. Should've expected it. But this Devastation tournament clicked the right buttons. I can't get past the second fighter in arcade mode on normal.

:lol :lol
My grades at the end of matches are something else. I'll see how long I'll go without getting any Battle Points.

I've been getting lag spikes on PSN recently and I've tried everything to try to resolve the issue on my side. I'm not sure if it's the network or me now. I never had this problem before PSN started acting up and began kicking people. I don't get kicked anymore though. I might have to bow out of SF4 online until I can resolve this somehow. It's really annoying.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
GriffD17 said:
So, late to the party. And late to the me sucking party. Should've expected it. But this Devastation tournament clicked the right buttons. I can't get past the second fighter in arcade mode on normal.

:lol :lol
My grades at the end of matches are something else. I'll see how long I'll go without getting any Battle Points.

Are you on xbox live? I just got this game a few days ago too. add me: chickeny dinner

John Choi!! He messed up his execution again in the second round of his second match with Ken I. Lucky for him, he was able to do the ex hurricane kick into ultra.

Ed Ma vs. J.Wong. J.Wong has owned the tournament. He's won three tournaments so far.

And this commentator is an idiot. Akuma does more damage but takes more damage. GAH

GriffD17

Timedog said:
Are you on xbox live? I just got this game a few days ago too. add me: chickeny dinner

Yep. Just sent a friend request. I'm trying to do training. Incredibly frustrating. I realize once I figure some stuff out it will be satisfying, as I've seen this game dropped as GOTY in that recent thread. Grr, so frustrating right now though.

GriffD17 said:
Yep. Just sent a friend request. I'm trying to do training. Incredibly frustrating. I realize once I figure some stuff out it will be satisfying, as I've seen this game dropped as GOTY in that recent thread. Grr, so frustrating right now though.

You can add me too. krp1976.

And what's the deal Moxey? Your Triple more of a grill than convergence device?

These commentators are retarded. Stupid idiot, the reason why he doesn't ultra is because it's useless.

Wong is up 2-1 vs. Ed Ma. Ed Ma vs. Choi wouldn't be a bad match.

John Choi. Shakes head. In one tournament, he's come up to challenge all of the big names. I don't see him beating Choi with the two sets, but he definitely shows why it's anyone's game.

And Ed Ma needs a character with an ultra. Ken and Akuma have crappy ultras.

And Oichi, you're right. The super jump is too low in TS. It's not like KOF jumps.

I'd like to get one of those arcade in a box.

Om3ga

Lost Fragment said:
Oh ya that's it! I guess he won't be so happy now. He thought he discovered something that not too many people knew about.

He just told me how to do it today, so i was making a vid using my cellphone. Good thing i checked here first, cause i'm not that good at doing it.

Wow, Choi is beasting at Devastation. He didn't look so hot at Stunfest against that crazy Belgian Honda but that was just one set. He's probably the biggest surprise of this tournament. His tried and true old school Ryu skills has translated pretty well to SF4 while picking up the necessities like Ryu's number of Ultra set ups.

I'm pulling for him to win this whole thing. Good to see we can count on old school players like Valle and Choi to rep Ryu in America.

MoxManiac said:
It died a yellow light of death a couple days ago.

Sorry to hear, bud. But on the bright side, I bet Rufus could ultra off of a PS3 dying. His ultra is like the new RKO.

Choi won a set. Do or die!! Abel vs. Ryu.

I thought he had another set? Oh well, GGs. He did a good job. Wong is ridiculous. But things maybe a little different going into Evo if Choi can level up some more. And of course, there is going to be the Japanese presence too.

The stream, even with the hiccups, were great. And it sounds like the Evo staff will be streaming it as well (I'll still buy the DVD, especially if they can get HD to Bluray).

Top Bottom