• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
catfish said:
don't worry.

I had not played a fighting game since soul calibur on dream cast and never really played sf at all and I bought SFIV.

I was sux like you claim to be, now I have 2 SE sticks that I custom modded myself with sanwa bits and 200 hours logged in SFIV.

I still feel like a noob most of the time and only have one decent character (blanka) but my god is it fun. It's my most played game probably ever.

Start reading SRK forums about the character you like, use the practice mode to get 1 good combo (or 2) learned and start trying to put those into online matches. once you can pull of 1 combo consistantly you'll feel like a pro (but you won't be) and the game just starts opening up.

SFIV is so awesome. I was hyped for KOFXII but watching that stream, I dunno, I just wanted to see more SFIV.

I just kept pressing the dragon punch button then all of a sudden i was rocking.

karasu

Man, I can't beat Blanka. I lose against him %100 of the time. Any tips for Rose Vs Blanka? I don't know what to do when people do his flying ball stuff over and over. @_@

Aeris130

His ball can be stuffed by any of her normals, except standing HP, and I think Soul Drill beats it on reaction. It can also be punished by ultra/super on block. At least the horisontal EX version, and any vertical ball.

If I'm playing a (really) ball-happy scrub, and I don't have an ultra, I usually just bulldog my way in until he's in the corner and can't do any more balls since he won't bounce far enough to be safe. Also make sure to block them high, to minimize your block stun (I don't think you can ultra-punish a normal ball unless you do so).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
karasu said:
Man, I can't beat Blanka. I lose against him %100 of the time. Any tips for Rose Vs Blanka? I don't know what to do when people do his flying ball stuff over and over. @_@

I main blanka,

if you on xbl add me: armedcatfish

ball gets beat by crouching jab (don't tell anyone)

I hate rose her ultra SUCKS

EDIT: I'm concerned. Despite Blanka being reasonably high on the tier lists, I've never seen a high level player get far with him in a tourney. Does anyone at higher levels actually PLAY blanka?

karasu

Thanks guys!

Side note: I just got my trophy for having 500 online battles. I've only won 155 of them. :lol I'm finding a lot more success with Rose than Fei Long however.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
karasu said:
Thanks guys!

Side note: I just got my trophy for having 500 online battles. I've only won 155 of them. :lol I'm finding a lot more success with Rose than Fei Long however.

Aren't they 2 of the lowest tiered characters in the game?

I've never been beaten by a feilong yet. I just think he's a terrible character. Rose on the other hand, despite being ranked low, seems a lot better.

catfish said:

I've never been beaten by a feilong yet. I just think he's a terrible character. Rose on the other hand, despite being ranked low, seems a lot better.
tiers don't matter that much until you get to high level play
in the rare instances i pick fei long, i can still hang with sagats and ryus who are just as average as me

karasu

catfish said:

I don't really know. Maybe. But I have more fun playing with them than I do with any of the million variants of Ryu.

TimeKillr

CcrooK said:
I'm reading that that the switch to Able was unfair. People shitting their pants over it. It was a good move on JWong. It wasn't a switch to counter a character. It was a switch to counter the player. I don't think Choi knows how to play up against an Abel.

The thing with Abel vs Ryu is that it's not a full counter-pick, but I'd say it's a half counter-pick.

Wong knew how Choi plays. Choi is an old-school Ryu that shoots out a ton of hadokens, and while that definitely works against Rufus to keep him away, it sure as hell doesn't against Abel, which is what I think Wong was shooting for here. You can't zone as efficiently with hadokens against Abel (roll, wheel kick, ultra).

The second Abel has Ultra, Ryu's hadoken zoning is fully dead. The threat of an unmitigated high-damage Ultra is so overpowering... Choi had no choice but to switch up how he plays, and it hurt him badly.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
karasu said:

Dash away or focus absorb the rainbow balls, jab the straights. Look to come in high when you can with Heavy Punch in to any combo. When you get your Ultra look to bait blanka in to a rainbow ball or to jumping in using fireballs or anything else that you think might work. If you have ultra and you are cornered (and you know you're safe) bust out the Ultra just to push him away, it'll give you half a screen, at least, to get your breath back.

It's a tough match for Rose, no doubt about it, far from impossible, however.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
McBradders said:
Dash away or focus absorb the rainbow balls, jab the straights. Look to come in high when you can with Heavy Punch in to any combo. When you get your Ultra look to bait blanka in to a rainbow ball or to jumping in using fireballs or anything else that you think might work. If you have ultra and you are cornered (and you know you're safe) bust out the Ultra just to push him away, it'll give you half a screen, at least, to get your breath back.

It's a tough match for Rose, no doubt about it, far from impossible, however.

rainbow ball is worthless and never used by blankas that are even half decent though.

EX rainbow ball I would use very occasionally. It's a very tricky cross up tool, but if you screw up the movement (which is easy to screw up) you're gonna eat it. it's semi useful against jump happy people as he does the little jump back first, but you have to predict the jump. Upball is way better/awesomer.

try to bait any kind of ball when you have ultra, I think it's free for rose if you block a ball. I've eaten more ultras than I'd like to admit by throwing out random balls against characters with ultras that can hit him after a blocked ball (abel, chun and I think rose although I don't see her often enough)

I don't really know. Maybe. But I have more fun playing with them than I do with any of the million variants of Ryu.

fair enough. I wasn't trying to discourage you from using, but there are other non shotos that might do you better initially....

I picked up the game again after 2 weeks vacation and was WOWED by the graphics. I think I really like the 3d aspect now. Gives everything such a more real and weighty look, definitely prefer to 2d.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
catfish said:
rainbow ball is worthless and never used by blankas that are even half decent though.

EX rainbow ball I would use very occasionally. It's a very tricky cross up tool, but if you screw up the movement (which is easy to screw up) you're gonna eat it. it's semi useful against jump happy people as he does the little jump back first, but you have to predict the jump. Upball is way better/awesomer.

try to bait any kind of ball when you have ultra, I think it's free for rose if you block a ball. I've eaten more ultras than I'd like to admit by throwing out random balls against characters with ultras that can hit him after a blocked ball (abel, chun and I think rose although I don't see her often enough)

I think Rose's Ultra is too slow from block. I still see a lot of rainbow ballers, especially against guys with poor anti-air. Then again I haven't faced a problem Blanka in quite a while, probably since I dropped maining Rose :3

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
TimeKillr said:
The thing with Abel vs Ryu is that it's not a full counter-pick, but I'd say it's a half counter-pick.

Wong knew how Choi plays. Choi is an old-school Ryu that shoots out a ton of hadokens, and while that definitely works against Rufus to keep him away, it sure as hell doesn't against Abel, which is what I think Wong was shooting for here. You can't zone as efficiently with hadokens against Abel (roll, wheel kick, ultra).

The second Abel has Ultra, Ryu's hadoken zoning is fully dead. The threat of an unmitigated high-damage Ultra is so overpowering... Choi had no choice but to switch up how he plays, and it hurt him badly.

speaking of Wheel Kick, Fierce Wheel Kick should be a straight up anti-projectile, not that start-up frame BS, the thing takes 10 years to come out anyways..

LakeEarth

Lyte Edge said:
Yeah, fun matches! We haven't played each other since 3rd Strike on the OG XBox, so it's been a while. Wasn't quite my best night, but I enjoyed it; probably should have stuck more to Cammy and Chun and less with Sakura and Dan though. :lol
FYI, if we win our next tourney matches, its me vs you!

LTTP But jeez Choi's sick. Ridiculously good for someone that hasn't invested anywhere near the same amount of time in this game that other players have. Also amazing how he dominated Ed Ma straight super turbo style.

FindMyFarms said:
LTTP But jeez Choi's sick. Ridiculously good for someone that hasn't invested anywhere near the same amount of time in this game that other players have. Also amazing how he dominated Ed Ma straight super turbo style.

Did you see the matches after they were streamed? If so, link?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I played a female gamer on xbl yesterday and she just completely wrecked me. We were chatting and laughing our asses off cause I would constantly crack jokes and she would laugh her ass off while destroying me with her combos and FADCs. Loosing never felt so awesome. I finally managed to win a set with Sagat. She then picked her main and brought the carnival of stupid. It was hilarious and a learning experience at the same time.

Thinking about it now, I've played a couple of really good female SFIV players. It's refreshing to see some diversity.

Vinsanity

I haven't played many Abels online, and would like some practice against him. Are there any Abel users that would like to play me? I'm on Live (GT: Liposome) and I'm also on the GAF SFIV 2 list. Please give me a message if you're interested.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
_dementia said:
hay gaf wanna critique my flowchart Abel?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERnezGMTIFg&fmt=18

As with anyone using Abel: you have to incorporate his standing mk to dash. Have to. This is where all his in-close pressure and mix ups will come from more or less. Also try adding a lk roll at the end of a close poke string to quickly cross to the other side then do it again to cross back and from there mix up to tornado throw or attack of your choice. Watch vids of wong or bustabust to see this in action. Really sick stuff and confusing as hell.

Do all teleport characters get a free escape from the wake up game? I'm just wondering if its possible to hit them before they do it if they time it perfectly or just mash it after a knockdown.

"Do all teleport characters get a free escape from the wake up game? I'm just wondering if its possible to hit them before they do it if they time it perfectly or just mash it after a knockdown."

No, you can't hit them if they time it perfectly and/or mash. However, you can possibly hit a teleport with a fireball or if they teleport behind you, wait and hit them on the recovery.

CPS2

Rice-Eater said:
Do all teleport characters get a free escape from the wake up game? I'm just wondering if its possible to hit them before they do it if they time it perfectly or just mash it after a knockdown.

If you can guess which way they'll teleport, you can get guaranteed hits (even ultras). One of my mates who plays Akuma tends to teleport back a little too often, and after knocking him down if I just keep dashing forward, I can hit him. Our matches look funny =P

Sorry killa for dropping. Had to step outside and just chill with a friend. I'm just playing dumb right now. I fell for fadc traps more than once, I couldn't zone properly, my footsies game was terrible and I just felt like I usually do better. Plus I still get those lag spikes. It's time to fix that somehow.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
After struggling to get used to my stick for the past month, I think I'm finally beginning to open the doors to all the benefits of stick usage. It's a damn good feeling to begin to hit Viper's fierce-feint-fierce and insta-bks and such consistently.

Still not able to get Gen's mk + hands, but I haven't been trying much lately. Most of my practice recently has gone towards improving my Viper.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Rice-Eater said:

Character specific how hard it is to punish a teleport. If you can predict the teleport, you can usually punish- though I wouldn't be surprised if Dan couldn't.

With Honda, it's just headbutt it. and with Hondas Oichio game, you can bait teleports pretty easily.

Yes, Choi is sick. He was the first person I ever faced in a tourney.

(I did take a round off Choi though as a complete noob)

n3ss

aka acr0nym
TimeKillr said:

Chio has played a good Abel player, not better than Wong obviously, but for those of you who watch ksIII stream he won the last one (really good players attend this every friday).

FindMyFarms said:

yeah, he's had practice with Shin (sp?), I main Akuma as well and damn Shin is sick, better than Ed Ma in my opinion.

MIMIC

Banned
Paul....GG. And yes, PLEASE upload the videos soon! I wanna see my Fuerte in action :D If I knew you were recording, I would have tried to show off with the RSF at every given opportunity :)

n3ss

aka acr0nym
CO_Andy said:
What happened to the "bite" Acronym that terrified us back in the day? Blanka is very much still an awesome character.

haha damn, I haven't played STHD in awhile. Fun game, but not serious about it. we should play sometime!

But for SFIV I use Akuma, blanka in the long run will be limited in my opinion.

_dementia said:
hay gaf wanna critique my flowchart Abel?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERnezGMTIFg&fmt=18

i main abel sometimes and heres some tips. standking mk dash is a god send on wakeup. you can link it to a tornado throw, or standing fp. and swtich your COD's up. pkp, ppk. you did ppp 3 times and each time it was blocked. also incorporate ex cod into your game. it absorbs the first hit and is a easy way to catch someone off guard. lastly when you do the mk crossup, don't go straight to the cod. do crossup, cr. mp/mk, then cod. doing that against a competent player you would have been punished severely. also practice his block strings. you can really frustrate someone with them.

if you wanna spar or something hit me up on xbl (sir long meat) or psn (longmeat)

CO_Andy

n3ss said:
haha damn, I haven't played STHD in awhile. Fun game, but not serious about it. we should play sometime!

But for SFIV I use Akuma, blanka in the long run will be limited in my opinion.

Yeah, i haven't booted up HD Remix in forever, but those were some fun times.

I keep getting nailed by Blanka players, so my opinion may be biased. Couldn't come to grips with my old favorites either, so like you i've chosen to main somebody else (in my case, Seth).

n3ss

aka acr0nym
CO_Andy said:
Yeah, i haven't booted up HD Remix in forever, but those were some fun times.

I keep getting nailed by Blanka players, so my opinion may be biased. Couldn't come to grips with my old favorites either, so like you i've chosen to main somebody else (in my case, Seth).

haha it was! we should play again sometime. seth? crazy, he's got mad potential. you don't have xbl do you?

GalacticAE said:
Sorry killa for dropping. Had to step outside and just chill with a friend. I'm just playing dumb right now. I fell for fadc traps more than once, I couldn't zone properly, my footsies game was terrible and I just felt like I usually do better. Plus I still get those lag spikes. It's time to fix that somehow.

No worries. I was happy to stop getting owned by Dhalsim :lol

Man, if G1 has taught me anything, it's that GP doesn't mean shit. All of you guys need to get your WoW on and get here, I'm tired of fighting the same 15 people, and there are better people in G2. I played some of the top 20 and did pretty respectable I'd say. But fights against some GAFfers here were definitely harder. Maybe the sample size is too small.

And execution errors will be the death of me, I will use the excuse of no air conditioning in 30 degree (Celsius) weather for me getting progressively worse as the day goes on. And Cammy/Guile don't have a lot of room for mistakes in Sagat City.

One interesting thing though: everyone not using a Gief or Shoto (other than Akuma) was really damn good. And I'm surprised at the amount of Guile's in there too. Stupid bandwagoners, I used him before he was getting popular >:|

Killa Sasa said:
No worries. I was happy to stop getting owned by Dhalsim :lol

I wouldn't say owned. I could tell you just needed to learn the matchup more for some characters. Also fuck those fucking Focus Attacks of yours. :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Killa Sasa said:
Man, if G1 has taught me anything, it's that GP doesn't mean shit. All of you guys need to get your WoW on and get here, I'm tired of fighting the same 15 people, and there are better people in G2. I played some of the top 20 and did pretty respectable I'd say. But fights against some GAFfers here were definitely harder. Maybe the sample size is too small.
|

I mildly disagree and sometimes sort of agree.

When I was around 5k GP I was PETRIFIED of anyone with +10k GP and lost to them more than I should have due to the psych out factor I fell badly for. However, now it's not as much of an issue and I find sometimes I lose to 2k players that are scary good.

I hate it when I see a 2 k ryu and play like a dick cause I think it's a free win and he turns out to be a freak.

Started trying to make the actual effort to pick up another character now, think it's still gonna be bison to complement my blanka... I find it so hard to go back to being a total noob though... I wanted to pick up abel, but I can't really click to this game, it feels like he's playing in mud or something when I play him. dude can't MOVE.

Hey all, been trying to decide on alt character for a couple of months now. First I tried the usual suspects Ryu/Sagat and while I do like Ryu's play style, I think I wanna try somethign different. Plus I live in SoCal and want to be tourney viable, a Ryu would probably not let that happen since there's so many good players down here.

For a while I thought I might alt Dhalsim since I like his tactical gameplay. But after trying him for a bit, it seems like it's too much thinking for me. Setups seem hard and execution needs to be spot on or you're shit outta luck with his stamina.

Anyway after much soul searching I think I wanna alt El Fuerte. My main's game (cammy) is built around mixups and guessing games so it seems like Elf has the best moveset for that style. Plus he's a pretty unique character and not many big names play him (Kai/Buktooth excepted).

So my question is, what should I look out for with Elf? What are the fundamentals I should work on with him? I've spent close to 200 hours and 2500 games on Cammy ALONE, so choosing an alt is a biiiiig decision for me and something that will likely take hours of dedication on my part. I just wanna make sure I do it right.

Oh also, can he hold his own against charge characters? Namely Balrog/Honda/Blanka. They easily give me the hardest time with Cammy so if I had him as backup for those, I would be quite grateful. Oh Oh oh, more questions: what are the best setups for his ultra? And why does it seem like nobody uses his Run + MK move? I feel like I never see it online or by pros. Or maybe I'm delusional.

Dang, long post is long.

ultim8p00

Banned
Does Ryu's ex hado recover faster than regular hado? I've been trying to buffer a dash after the ex hado and after regular hado and ex hado dash comes out a lot more often. The reason I'm asking is because I played a Ryu and he baited me into a jump with ex hado and srked. Thing is I knew he hadoed way too close to recover in time, but he somehow still caught me with srk into ultra.

Top Bottom