• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Timedog said:
gg's catfish. i'm chickeny dinner.

can someone remind me how to block blanka's ultra? I got hit twice with it when I thought I had blocked it correctly. I thought it was you block up and then down?

Nice games man, that's the best 1 bar connection i've ever had. I did notice lag when I ate some stuff that made me yell 'fuuuuuuuu.....' but it was masked pretty well, no stuttering.

Oh and I dropped as my router is dying, getting a new one tomorrow. Wonder if I get another bar out of the connection vs you.

To block blankas ultra you got it backwards actually. At the VERY start, when it activates that must be blocked low, if the animation begins and you were not blocking low, you're stunned and fucked over. I got you on ryus bastard cr.mk poke I think (when I get most ryus after wakeup).

So you block low then high. The ultra stuns low, then hits high, then the rest hits mid. but if you block low as it starts then immediately high the rest of the way you're good.

You trashed me those first 2 rounds, wow. Glad I got some back and annoyed the connection crapped out.

ultim8p00 said:

Block as though it is a cross up (high on the opposite side), then you can either block low or DP. Farms destroyed me by blocking and DPing after every one of those I went for. Obviously, don't get too predictable with that, but you have that option as well as blocking, trying to throw, etc.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
catfish said:
Nice games man, that's the best 1 bar connection i've ever had. I did notice lag when I ate some stuff that made me yell 'fuuuuuuuu.....' but it was masked pretty well, no stuttering.

Oh and I dropped as my router is dying, getting a new one tomorrow. Wonder if I get another bar out of the connection vs you.

To block blankas ultra you got it backwards actually. At the VERY start, when it activates that must be blocked low, if the animation begins and you were not blocking low, you're stunned and fucked over. I got you on ryus bastard cr.mk poke I think (when I get most ryus after wakeup).

So you block low then high. The ultra stuns low, then hits high, then the rest hits mid. but if you block low as it starts then immediately high the rest of the way you're good.

You trashed me those first 2 rounds, wow. Glad I got some back and annoyed the connection crapped out.

The first ultra you got me with i was cr. mk'ing. and there was another weird one where i was jumping or something and only got half hit by the ultra from some reason. then there was 2 that I thought I was going to block but got hit. Yeah it wasn't horrible lag or else I would have just quit playing. I don't think it affected the outcome of any of the matches as far as how I played, but it was slightly annoying.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
_dementia said:
I know he's so relentless. I play abel completely wrong.

Yeah I came to this realization some time ago and only just recently tried to remedy it. Basically been watching vids of high level Abels to see what up close strings they lock ppl down with and been having varied success. The other night I was able to hit a Sagat with just the tip of cr.FP to pop him high into the air and then first hit of cod for another juggle and then Ultra for death. Dopeness. Basically we all gotta learn the exact range of his foward +MK and everything follows from that.

GriffD17

Was this Joe fellow at the Destruction tournament? Don't recognize the name.

I try to "trigger the juice" but the juice never flows.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
When I play Viper with all her instant burning kicks and other shenanigans, it seems I end up sliding the left side of my SE stick outwards over time. Anybody have any tips for weighing my stick down a bit, or maybe putting something on the bottom so that it sticks to the table better?

Also, I forgot about the movie stream tonight :( Oh well, they're gonna release it on bit torrent soonish anyway, yes? The movie probably deserves its own thread when that happens.

GriffD17

Interesting, yet short documentary. Should be a great finished product though. Got tired of listening to the questions. Time for me to turn on the 1up podcast and lose some championship matches.

Is there going to be a download for the movie proper? I only caught the end.

Mike Ross says Japan is taking Evo.

I might jump on later tonight then watch Chun movie.

akachan ningen said:
Don't they always? The only game they don't win is the one they don't care about, mvc2.

Don't the Koreans usually win Tekken? AAAAAAH, Mago is the best says Mike Ross.

You can never tell if there's going to be an upset. And John Choi always holds down ST. But then again, Diego, Toyota or Nucci who knows + Mago. Can't wait for the Evo stream.

LOL, at Justin being the most wanted American player.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
GriffD17 said:
Interesting, yet short documentary. Should be a great finished product though. Got tired of listening to the questions. Time for me to turn on the 1up podcast and lose some championship matches.
Hey I think I lied earlier sometime about being new to the game. Which character do you play though?

GriffD17

Timedog said:
Hey I think I lied earlier sometime about being new to the game. Which character do you play though?

Right now it's Chun Li. Spent too much money on a stick yesterday and went through arcade with her. I can't play this game in long stretches cause it frustrates me that much.

Haha, thanks for lying. You told me you advanced to the 4th round in the gaf tourney. I was like "wait, what".

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
GriffD17 said:
Right now it's Chun Li. Spent too much money on a stick yesterday and went through arcade with her. I can't play this game in long stretches cause it frustrates me that much.

Haha, thanks for lying. You told me you advanced to the 4th round in the gaf tourney. I was like "wait, what".

Whatevs mang, I'll play you over live. I don't know if I can really give pointers for Chun though, I pretty much only play Ryu and don't know any of the other characters.

ultim8p00

Banned
Moved up to G2-C. Feeling pretty good right now. Won 3 G2 championships and was runner up about 5 others. Lost so many semi-finals, but the experience is what counts.

I'm really feeling like I'm at a turning point in my skill level, where my brain has actually started thinking "don't throw a fireball, he's too close" and "you c.lp will beat his pokes" and when to use a dp and what type of dp vs when to use a hk - stuff like that, without me actually having to stop and think. I was pretty amazed at some of the complex decisions I made on the fly. I gained almost 1000GP tonight.

A really nice tactic I have begun to use is to taunt the other guy when he is close enough to be hit by a fierce dp, then quickly press lp to cancel the taunt and do an ex dp. It's certainly not something to throw around, but I do it every now and then and people take the bait everytime.

GriffD17 said:

chun li sux go main ryu.

ultim8p00 said:
Moved up to G2-C. Feeling pretty good right now. Won 3 G2 championships and was runner up about 5 others. Lost so many semi-finals, but the experience is what counts.

I'm really feeling like I'm at a turning point in my skill level, where my brain has actually started thinking "don't throw a fireball, he's too close" and "you c.lp will beat his pokes" and when to use a dp and what type of dp vs when to use a hk - stuff like that, without me actually having to stop and think. I was pretty amazed at some of the complex decisions I made on the fly. I gained almost 1000GP tonight.

A really nice tactic I have begun to use is to taunt the other guy when he is close enough to be hit by a fierce dp, then quickly press lp to cancel the taunt and do an ex dp. It's certainly not something to throw around, but I do it every now and then and people take the bait everytime.

Good to hear dude.

I honestly think I've hit new peaks with my Fuerte.. Watching others play and taking ideas from them and then perfecting things have helped.

I started in G2 with a 10 Champ wins to 15 second places or even 20 second place finishes..

Now that percentage has completely flipped.. I've won like 55 G2 Champs and have had like 30 runner ups..

I've very much improved.. Just had to keep at it and learn some new tricks. I dont play much CE online anymore but I'm like 1500 away from G1.

ultim8p00

Banned
Timedog said:
Whatevs mang, I'll play you over live. I don't know if I can really give pointers for Chun though, I pretty much only play Ryu and don't know any of the other characters.

Timedog we should put our Ryu skills to the test one of these days. I don't know any GAFer that mains Ryu.

GriffD17

Pop On Arrival said:
chun li sux go main ryu.
Yeah I've jumped around quite a bit. I see so many people complain about the Ryus and Kens and so on. Oh well. We'll see.

And ultim8poo, that's awesome. I hope to get to that point sometime. Even when I win one it feels so satisfying, just doesn't happen too often.

in all seriousness, I think Chun li is pretty good. Just play whoever you have the most fun with. it's not like you're aspiring to be a tournament player anyway(are you?)

Right now I'm switching back and forth between Chun li and Sagat, but my Chun still seems way ahead of my Sagat skill.

Anyway, I've finally decided to play Championshit mode despite the horrible latency, and goddamn do the people in the first level suck. I'm trying to grind my way to the next level in hopes that G2 has people closer playing.

GriffD17

_dementia said:
I return to this game after a week an unsurprisingly my execution turns to shit
oh well, training mode for me :(
SOULESS!! I lol'd

I'm getting getter by ever so small degrees. Made it to a semifinal against a Ryu. Came down to the last round. I pulled out my ultra first as, then right after that animation ends, the animation for Ryu's ultra starts. His ultra beats about mine.

Oh well.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
bleh. since my madcatz controller dpad got kind of fucked up, I've been on a huge slump and haven't won a tournament in the past about 5 play sessions. half the time I try to wake up dp or do a anti air dp (i.e. when i have to input the motion fast) it comes out as a fucking fireball. There's no way I'm spending 40 more on yet another controller, and I don't have enough scrilla for a stick. Fucking sucks, but i'm already addicted to this game. It's the only disc based game i've played since I bought it!

Timedog said:
bleh. since my madcatz controller dpad got kind of fucked up, I've been on a huge slump and haven't won a tournament in the past about 5 play sessions. half the time I try to wake up dp or do a anti air dp (i.e. when i have to input the motion fast) it comes out as a fucking fireball. There's no way I'm spending 40 more on yet another controller, and I don't have enough scrilla for a stick. Fucking sucks, but i'm already addicted to this game. It's the only disc based game i've played since I bought it!
call Madcatz customer service

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
_dementia said:
call Madcatz customer service

out of warranty.

WTF is up with Chun's ultra? I was trying to bait it from a step past 3/4 screen with crouching.......jab, and somehow is too many frames and she was still able to hit me. Seriously, you're not allowed to do ANYTHING if she has ultra? Fireballs are understandable with their long ass recovery but a god damn cr. lp?????? That's fucking retarded.

Timedog said:
out of warranty.

WTF is up with Chun's ultra? I was trying to bait it from a step past 3/4 screen with crouching.......jab, and somehow is too many frames and she was still able to hit me. Seriously, you're not allowed to do ANYTHING if she has ultra? Fireballs are understandable with their long ass recovery but a god damn cr. lp?????? That's fucking retarded.

That guy must've been Japanese if he stuffed your jab with an ultra. Talk about footsies. :p

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
GalacticAE said:
That guy must've been Japanese if he stuffed your jab with an ultra. Talk about footsies. :p

I don't even know how it's possible that she went all the way across the screen before I was able to recover from the jab unless Chun Li is Blinx the Cat in disguise.

I just finished the "I Got Next" documentary and I enjoyed it. It's fantastic considering it was mostly done by 1 guy in his first attempt. But this really is a film that will mainly appeal only to its main audience, the fighting game community, but it won't reach much beyond that. I'm hoping he can take this experience with him and create more films in the future that can go into more detail and tell richer stories about the games or the players.

Rice-Eater said:
I just finished the "I Got Next" documentary and I enjoyed it. It's fantastic considering it was mostly done by 1 guy in his first attempt. But this really is a film that will mainly appeal only to its main audience, the fighting game community, but it won't reach much beyond that. I'm hoping he can take this experience with him and create more films in the future that can go into more detail and tell richer stories about the games or the players.

The final cut is due out after the footage from this year's evo is shot.

Not very many people have seen it, but Bang the Machine is exactly what you're asking for. I hope they screen it again at this year's evo. It would be perfect.

GriffD17

GalacticAE said:
The final cut is due out after the footage from this year's evo is shot.

Not very many people have seen it, but Bang the Machine is exactly what you're asking for. I hope they screen it again at this year's evo. It would be perfect.
Can't even find it on ebay or netflix. Hrm.

GriffD17 said:
Can't even find it on ebay or netflix. Hrm.

Unfortunately, there isn't a copy floating out there. The only way to see it is at Evo right now. There are some "higher-ups" in the scene that own a copy of the film but won't release it out of respect to Peter Kang (one of the guys who made it). From what I remember, because the majority of footage got destroyed in the WTC on 9/11, they only had a rough edit with the audio encoded into the footage. This is what we see at Evo. They can't release it now because it will supposedly cost a lot to obtain rights to the music that's used. Everyone wants Peter to make his money back from this project so no one is releasing a torrent anytime soon. That's how I understand it.

Clips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HC-qY2DGc0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEDmbAPH8LI&feature=related

Trailers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7cLvPmxtVM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP02epBwj3I&feature=related

Top Bottom