• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The PC version is pretty scalable. I'm here in my office playing SFIV on a meager Dell D630. :)

untitled-2.jpg

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Pop On Arrival said:
Yes

I lied, no

I also get a "live is not avaiable with current gamer profile" bullshit whenever I quit arcade mode. So lame.

Try setting a static IP at least. I have had zero connection issues so far. In fact, the only game I came across that was unplayable was vs a guy who had his settings cranked way too high for his PC :lol

Totakeke

Pop On Arrival said:
Yes

I lied, no

I also get a "live is not avaiable with current gamer profile" bullshit whenever I quit arcade mode. So lame.

Well for one thing, I haven't had any problems with using LIVE itself on the PC version. I haven't had any instances where I couldn't connect to it. There's also option to create games instead of just searching for them, it's right there on the menu and I'd guess it's the same as the console verisons.

Except... has anyone able to connect to the PC version live marketplace? It doesn't seem to let me sign on.

Yeah, if nothing else, the PC version performs and scales very nicely across different specs.

Ysiadmihi said:
Try setting a static IP at least. I have had zero connection issues so far. In fact, the only game I came across that was unplayable was vs a guy who had his settings cranked way too high for his PC :lol

The game seemed to be working fine when it first unlocked and I played for a few hours before going to bed. Would just search for a stable game, click his name and be off on my way. Recently, all I've been getting is unable to play messages and game is full.

Ugh.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Totakeke said:
Except... has anyone able to connect to the PC version live marketplace? It doesn't seem to let me sign on.

I think you just have to click log in or whatever it says a second time to get in. It never works the first time for me.

Quick GFW Live question: Will they charge me to add one letter to my name? I can't imagine they'd want 10 bucks for such a quick fix but they ARE charging for name changes in the first place so...

rise888

DaCocoBrova said:
The PC version is pretty scalable. I'm here in my office playing SFIV on a meager Dell D630. :)

untitled-2.jpg

weird, I ran the benchmark tool and it gave me "D" on a dell E6400, what settings are you using?

Totakeke

rise888 said:
weird, I ran the benchmark tool and it gave me "D" on a dell E6400, what settings are you using?

I'm playing the game with my E6500, on 720x480 res, no AA, Mid Model Quality, High Background quality, low for shadows, motion blur, and particles. Runs pretty smoothly with barely any hiccups.

I could tune the settings up a level, but I'm also multitasking firefox with it so I keep it at those.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Grifter said:
You can't take the online mode seriously, unless that's all you get to play. There's a noticeable (and variable) difference and if you play a reactionary style (and Abel has to weave around with precision), you're at a disadvantage.

It's funny reading over this thread. Some people are complaining about lag tactics when their games are based heavily on lag shenanigans.

This is no KOF98. That said, online to offline is a struggle for me, though I'm sure much of it is level of comp being higher, and a lot of bad matchups for me (Balrogs, Giefs, and Sagat mostly)

Ugh. Yesterday was my birthday. So I came home and decided to drink a few beers (six). And man, I got a tremendous headache. It was really affecting my game. I only managed to win one championship and a runner up. I was losing to 2000GP opponents because I was being retarded.

I'm going to sign up for Steam and get SFIV. Is there a limit to how many devices you install it to?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Spiderjericho said:
Ugh. Yesterday was my birthday. So I came home and decided to drink a few beers (six). And man, I got a tremendous headache. It was really affecting my game. I only managed to win one championship and a runner up. I was losing to 2000GP opponents because I was being retarded.

I'm going to sign up for Steam and get SFIV. Is there a limit to how many devices you install it to?

Steam's limit is one place at a time.

Impulse has no limit.

No idea what the SECURom limits are, but you shouldn't be getting it outside of either of those two places.

How difficult is it to play as Akuma? I know Viper can be nasty, but she requires some pretty serious execution. Is Akuma similar or is he easier to get into?

prodystopian said:
How difficult is it to play as Akuma? I know Viper can be nasty, but she requires some pretty serious execution. Is Akuma similar or is he easier to get into?

Akuma is harder than viper IMO. From an execution standpoint I'd say there about even, maybe Akuma being a tad bit easier.

Both do real big damage, but unlike Viper where you can go guns blazing, you have to be extremely patient in all your setups with Akuma.

edit - if you're talking about at the introductory level, then akuma's initially easier to play than viper, but once you get past that curve, akuma gets 10x harder.

BotoxAgent said:
yeah, Akuma feels pretty easy at first, but mastering his setups and resets is very tricky and risky, esp. with his low health.

Yeah, the execution on those gives you a bunch of 1-3 frame windows. Akuma has a LOT of bitchy links and karas, whereas Viper is a bunch of qcf's, tk's, motion based stuff.

MIMIC

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
How the fuck did I get 2% disconnect stat?

I never rage quit, even if my head was on fire.

Sometimes the connection to opponent breaks but I thought it's a desync issue for both players and doesn't count.

I think I'm the only person on Live with a 0% disconnect rate :lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
How long does it take on average to get a game on g1? I got like 5k gp in the past week, so i'll probably be to g1 within another week or so. I'm currently at around 12k gp i think.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Akuma requires some strict execution skills and timing. Hit confirming for big damage from c.jab/short and linking into combos off of s.rh are keys. If you cant do these there's really no need in trying to play him.

Grifter

I think you can kinda get into the flow of Viper's combos more and be in sync while Akuma's many links and setups take more constant practice and maintenance.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I think I just discovered that getting better really requires having not just a range of players to play against, but also some standard competition.

Had some excellent (as always) games against Level 8 boss and we really make each other go the distance. At the start my bison SUCKED real hard and once I got used to it, my bison vs his Abel got pretty epic. If you constantly play championship, you don't get the feel for a person and how different things work. it gets to ADD and the thing that worked last round no longer works.

Which is fine, but if you don't get the proper grounding for something that works in the first place.

By the end of my games with Level 8 boss I managed to pull off bisons cr.lp, st.lp, cr.lk xx lk.scissors combo a couple times in game.

Awesome games man! Your ryu is a bastard..

prodystopian said:
Example for Akuma?

cr. jab -> st. fierce

st. fierce or even cr. strong reset after lk hurricane.

Lots of stuff off of st. rh which are character specific dependant on range.

etc. etc.

Also tick thrownig w/ f + mp kara demon requires REALLY fast fingers.

Stantron

_dementia said:
Hey, I'm at 0% as well.
I'm still at zero, but I've had a ton of people rage quite on me in the last few days.... in player matches. :/ Wonder if it counts those. Anyone get a non-zero % soley by others disconnecting on you?

I have a lot of trouble with the timing on the lk hurricane reset with the demon flip followup. Also Kara demon is a bitch for me. His links aren't too bad though. Akuma is all about spacing and is a good character to learn if you have trouble in that area.

I like him a lot but he has so little health I just can't afford to make any mistakes. Which I do a lot of. I'm too scrubby for Akuma.

Arde5643

FindMyFarms said:
Yeah, the execution on those gives you a bunch of 1-3 frame windows. Akuma has a LOT of bitchy links and karas, whereas Viper is a bunch of qcf's, tk's, motion based stuff.
Ah ok, didn't know that - he's definitely so much easier to play in the beginning compared to Viper.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Who should you play if you have shit reaction time? I couln't hit confirm a cr. jab into something else, much less do it online D:

Timedog said:
Who should you play if you have shit reaction time? I couln't hit confirm a cr. jab into something else, much less do it online D:

Dude, not a single person in the world can hit confirm off of one jab lol. That's why you do strings(that combo) like cr. short -> cr. jab -> cr. jab (or cr. fierce if you want the tatsu), so that they give you time to realize whether or not your opponent is blocking, and by the time you do, you'll know whether or not you can land that special at the end of the string.

I finally got around to watching the SF4 bonus movie, and that was easily the worst pile of anime shit I have ever seen. Was there even a budget for this trash? I would of much rather they gave a bonus disc like BlazBlue then this.

MoxManiac

Wow, color me shocked. SF4 actually saves GP server-side! Just started a new save file after getting my fixed PS3 back and my GP is just where I left it!

I tried to backup my save file on the PS3, but it says the file can't be backed up or something like that. So do I have to backup my whole system to make sure I don't lose my colors again?

MIMIC

Banned
GG, threi (sp?) The Fuerte mirror match that disconnected was hilarious to me. We both did started the match doing the exact same thing and then poof.

Also, I got A LOT of in-game disconnections today. I hope none of it was on my end. That would sure make for an interesting twist :lol

I think I've come to the conclusion that anybody with half a brain knows about tick throws now. But instead of tech'ing it, they'll hammer jab instead. I've done it a thousand times and it's been done to me probably a million times. Most frustrating when facing guys who are decent turtles. I take a beating to close the distance on them, if they block everything and prevent me from throwing them then I'm screwed.

So I played more ranked games in PC tonight..

I started at about 1000 BP which I left off as of yesterday..

I've been playing for a bit now and I can't find high BP people because there isn't much and I havent lost yet tonight.... I'm actually on a 59 or something game win streak and still going.. :lol Oh and Im now rank 130 in the world for SF4 PC on ranked battle.. :lol

wtf?

2lcxqfm.jpg

24gvzht.jpg

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
The PC community is a joke. Some people here, I am sure, can attest to my absoloute mediocrity at this game and I am currently 20 wins and 2 losses. I can't do that on LIVE, I can probably get maybe 5-10 wins without incurring a loss on a particularly good day. Of which there are very few nowadays.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The game just came out on PC. You can't expect everyone to be experts :lol

I haven't played an SF seriously in years and decided to get back into it because it's on Steam now. I'm sure a good chunk of the PC players right now are the same.

Top Bottom