• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
lk version is also good for gaining ground/pressure long as you "cancel" it with a punch at the last second before you hit the ground. Dunno if it gives you frame advantage when blocked in that scenario but can't recall ever really being punished either...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I just played Ava01. Damn, he's good. He didn't have any sort of insane strategy like I would expect someone who's at the top of the XBL rankings to have, but he just had really, really fucking good reaction time. Think of a normal Ken player, but one who never guesses and has good enough reaction time to react and punish whatever you do instead of guessing. I'll admit I was a bit predictable, but it was obvious that he had stellar reaction time.

few pages back I've told everyone how happy i was about lots of new players in G1. i have to take that back now. its just not enough to keep constant games up like in G3 and G2 back then. capcom seriously fucked up on this one. now i'll be stuck with player matches most of the time, which gets rather boring if nobody from your friendlist is available and the average player wont fight back.

sucks.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Just played Saqs. I think Rose has some weird frame advantage stuff going on. I've barely played any Roses, but most of them seemed fairly easy. He block strings that I thought should definitely be punishable based on how other characters work, but every time I'd try to punish he'd have some, I think, frame advantage with what he was doing and he'd punish me. His reaction time seemed a tad, tad bit slower than Ava01's but that could be an internet connection difference. I think he definitely knew the ins and outs of his character better than Ava01, instead of using pure reaction time to overcome difficulties. He of course did have a ton of ways to punish my bad habits. Playing these two makes me think I definitely need to start looking at frame data for Ryu to fully understand what's going on underneath it all. I also need to get to g1 so I play less scrubs so I have fewer bad habits. I also wish my reaction time was better than just average (i've tested it and found it to be completely average).

Nikashi

Banned
Heh, back from another afternoon of G2 play. Managed to Perfect a Ryu with my Dan, and played someone with the gamertag "FlowchartGouken" :D

edit: Also, suddenly I have 1% DC rate even though I've never disconnected from a match? o_o

Nikashi said:
Heh, back from another afternoon of G2 play. Managed to Perfect a Ryu with my Dan, and played someone with the gamertag "FlowchartGouken" :D

edit: Also, suddenly I have 1% DC rate even though I've never disconnected from a match? o_o

What did he do (FlowchartGouken)? Was he good?

That has happened to quite a few people. I'm amazed I have a 0% because my PS3's laser died and it was causing me to DC a few games by freezing on me.

CPS2

FindMyFarms said:
Yeah that's what the SRK is for. I tried to keep it simple, but since you brought up frame data I might as well explain it to Timedog. If you KNOW someone's going to try to either tech out the throw, or option select, the SRK is going to catch them.

Assuming perfect timing, ryu's cr. jab is +2 on block, with throw's taking a 4 frame startup, and standing taking 1 frame. What this means is if they try to tech the throw, they have to do it right after the jab. Most people don't have that perfect timing though, which is why people w/ 3 frame jabs like rog/chun/etc. can beat out the throw.

Now where the srk comes in. If you're absolutely sure that they'll tech right after the tick, then SRK wins ALWAYS. If they're holding forward tech, they're not blocking, so they'll get hit. If they option select(downback plus lp +lk), they're tech doesn't come out since you aren't throwing, but instead a short or a jab comes out. Since you have +2 advantage, they're jab wouldn't be able to hit you until the opening frames of your SRK, which has invincibility, and bam, they're hit. Get your ultra or continue the ground pressure.

Just remember that this is only a punishing tool when you're absolutely sure they're going to tech.

Slight correction =P

Timedog: the other adv on block moves are standing LP (+2), crouch MP (+2), towards +HP is 0, so it's safe (but has slow startup), EX hadou is +1, super is +11.

Just click here and check the "frames on block" column to see how safe something is. The most unsafe move is SRK.

ptown

Thanks, Stantron for the tech throw info. That's a nice explanation.

@Timedog- I just play the game and learn a few things, but I don't know all the technical things.

So, anyone have any idea why I can't make a lobby(no one can join me), and why it's really hard for me to join other peoples games on the PC version? I never encountered this on PSN.

So yeah I just got the PC Version and was playing the game and signed up for Games for Windows Live and was playing online for a bit. Than after like 10 minutes it disconnected me. I tried again and it said "Online isn't available on this profile"...don't tell me that I need to sign up for Gold and PAY to play online.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
So yeah I just got the PC Version and was playing the game and signed up for Games for Windows Live and was playing online for a bit. Than after like 10 minutes it disconnected me. I tried again and it said "Online isn't available on this profile"...don't tell me that I need to sign up for Gold and PAY to play online.

No, you don't. Maybe you got banned for something?

Flying_Phoenix said:

online play isn't available on this current gamer tag? I get that crap too whenever I play arcade mode and exit. if I head directly into GFWL Network Battle, I can get into the lobby browser, but it's still really hard to get into a game. I also can't start a lobby. People just can't join.

Balls.

GriffD17

If Ken misses his SRK then he shouldn't be able to do another one right away. I can't count how many time I see a whiffed SRK, I'm like "sweet, I'm throwing this punk as soon as he lands...oh wait another SRK."

And damn the PC version. I need my training damnit. Damnit to hell.

Anyone on PSN have a good El Fuerte willing to practice a few against my Guile and Cammy? Something tells me dfyb doesn't play and will wreck me if I don't know what I'm going up against - Fuerte's already shit on me.

Kadey said:
Any tips on using Viper?

Funny, I was thinking of starting Viper too.

From what I understand (anyone here please correct me if I'm wrong)

1. Canceling Thunder Knuckle/Hammer to make your opponent guess is key. Make it second nature.
2. Since she's a heavy execution character, try not to be flashy. The best Viper players are really conservative.
3. Concern yourself more about how much stun a combo does rather than how much damage.

Pop On Arrival said:
online play isn't available on this current gamer tag? I get that crap too whenever I play arcade mode and exit. if I head directly into GFWL Network Battle, I can get into the lobby browser, but it's still really hard to get into a game. I also can't start a lobby. People just can't join.

Balls.

Must be a glitch I'm sure they'll patch it soon. But yeah it didn't happen this time. I must say I am really impressed with Games for Windows LIVE so far, smooth connection (most of the time) and easy messaging.

okay, Abel Question.

If I want to punish horizontal Blanka ball and I don't have Ultra, I should dash in and forward kick, dash cancel, standing fierce into CoD right?

Because I can't do that. Once blockstun is over, I dash in and do the toward+MK but they block.

Bananimus

_dementia said:
okay, Abel Question.

If I want to punish horizontal Blanka ball and I don't have Ultra, I should dash in and forward kick, dash cancel, standing fierce into CoD right?

Because I can't do that. Once blockstun is over, I dash in and do the toward+MK but they block.
Are you trying this in training mode (record Blanka ball)? I'd suspect that the above isn't a reliable punish, although I could be wrong.

Tiktaalik

fucking christ the netcode for this game is so terrible. I don't even know why I try to play online it's constantly can't find a game, zero bars, game full, can't join game every time I try anything.

alsjfklasfkljasdfkljasdklfjklasdf fucking shit.

MIMIC

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
fucking christ the netcode for this game is so terrible. I don't even know why I try to play online it's constantly can't find a game, zero bars, game full, can't join game every time I try anything.

I hate it especially when you use Custom Search (which takes about 30 seconds) only to be met with an "Unable to Play" message. Very aggravating.

Jirotrom

MY ARCADE STICK WILL BE FIXED TOMORROW!!! ALL YOU F*&&ERS THAT WERE OWNING ME BECAUSE I WAS ON A PAD... PREPARE TO CONTINUE TO OWN ME.

GriffD17

Jirotrom said:
MY ARCADE STICK WILL BE FIXED TOMORROW!!! ALL YOU F*&&ERS THAT WERE OWNING ME BECAUSE I WAS ON A PAD... PREPARE TO CONTINUE TO OWN ME.
:lol :lol
I spent too much money on this game. Fight pad and stick don't make me worth a damn. ugh. :lol :lol That had me rolling though

Tiktaalik said:

PC version? shit sux, yeah. Some people aren't having issues, though.

Kadey said:
Any tips on using Viper?

hmm.. use cr. mk a lot. Straight jump fk is a great zoning tool, and you can hit confirm that to cr. mk xx tk.

For pressure, use cr. mp xx mp tk. You can do it over and over. Once you think they'll try to counter (usually after 2) just pause and punish w/ cr. mk xx tk. If you think they're going for tick, do bk. Make sure you get her ex seismo sj cancel to bk combo, it's her bread and butter, and gives you corner ultra.

make sure you use fp tk for anti air. sounds basic but people forget. If you trade, you can dash forward and do it again, or do ultra (strict timing though)

and double stress on tk feints. You can get a lot of little freebie hits in after a feint, like her overhead or a throw. ex- cr. mk xx mp tk (they block) cr. mp xx tk feint, f +mp overhead, wait a bit for them to stick somethin out, punish, etc.

Jirotrom said:
im not, pc version is running better than 360 for me... make sure you set framerate to "fixed"

yeah, I know about the framerate issue. It's mostly other people who need to fix their framerate or stop running the game at 30fps! I can't believe some people just play this game running at 10fps.

Totakeke

Pop On Arrival said:
yeah, I know about the framerate issue. It's mostly other people who need to fix their framerate or stop running the game at 30fps! I can't believe some people just play this game running at 10fps.

Yeah, I need to find a way to punch people through the internets when they show up with good connection yet plays the game at less than 30fps. Especially the ones that play Zangief and just Lariat all day. WTF!

Now I'm wary of all those who doesn't have an icon or title since half of the time these are the people with the performance issues.

so I used that unlocker crack I found on the world wide web and it corrupted my save file. There goes my 120-7 record. I kept my BP, though. Oh well, I just used the program again to unlock everyone. I actually unlocked everyone up to gouken legitimately, but I just said "fuck it" when it was time to unlock Seth.

Pop On Arrival said:
so I used that unlocker crack I found on the world wide web and it corrupted my save file. There goes my 120-7 record. I kept my BP, though. Oh well, I just used the program again to unlock everyone. I actually unlocked everyone up to gouken legitimately, but I just said "fuck it" when it was time to unlock Seth.

Anyways..

I'm enjoying the PC version. Its easy as balls though. I have only unlocked 2 chars too lol

Im now rank 110 in Battle Points :lol

and rank 240 in CP..

and rank 182 in GP...

I hit G2 tonight.. :lol Took 2 days (Actually 1 since I barely even played Champ Mode the first day)

ipxtnt.jpg

ab36vq.jpg

20fzyh5.jpg

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Pop On Arrival said:

Does it give you the achievements for doing so? ¬_¬;

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Jirotrom said:

I eagerly anticipate the 'I think i was better on a pad' buyers regret.

Dreavus

catfish said:

:lol Yeah, I think most people start out that way. Hell I STILL might be better on the pad.

Although playing on an arcade stick really grows on you.

ArjanN

Flying_Phoenix said:

Games for windows live is free, there is no Gold version on PC.
I think your region may not be supported, try changing it to the nearest supported region.

Tiktaalik said:

Yeah, trying to join a quick match often fails. Just host games yourself. Works every time.

ggp759 said:

You didn't use some sort of unlock crack did you?
Did you log in to GFW live in the game? Being blocked by firewall/AV settings maybe?

McBradders said:
Does it give you the achievements for doing so? ¬_¬;

Well, just for you I enabled the get all icons and titles and yes, it did give me achievements. I'll just get them legitimately on the PS3 version. Most likely never will, though. Don't care about trophies/achievements at all.

Just host games yourself.

if only I could host! netcode is balls for me. I am happy for the people not having issues, but on my end, I just usually end up sputtering in rage whenever I find a 4 bar match after a one minute load time only to be greeted with "unable to play" literally one second after selecting their gamertag. Seriously, it doesn't even leave room for suspense; shit tells me to fuck off immediately.

WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE. i hate u capcom

McBradders

Pop On Arrival said:
Well, just for you I enabled the get all icons and titles and yes, it did give me achievements. I'll just get them legitimately on the PS3 version. Most likely never will, though. Don't care about trophies/achievements at all.

if only I could host! netcode is balls for me. I am happy for the people not having issues, but on my end, I just usually end up sputtering in rage whenever I find a 4 bar match after a one minute load time only to be greeted with "unable to play" literally one second after selecting their gamertag. Seriously, it doesn't even leave room for suspense; shit tells me to fuck off immediately.

WHINE WHINE WHINE WHINE. i hate u capcom

Rad! XD

But yeah, the netcode here is way, way worse than the 360 version, I'm guessing it's the hardware variation that's killing it. A shame cuz it looks fucking gorgeous running on full settings and it's somewhere the entire community can congregate regardless of stick or pad choice. I had big hopes for it, but it falls pretty short.

don't forget about the whole save corruption thing I experienced. You're gonna lose your stats and playtime. that was a real fucking bummer for me.

Totakeke said:
What exactly is stopping you from hosting? Is there an error message or something?

friends just say they got an "unable to participate in session" error message. I can start a lobby and sit there for hours(I actually tried this) and no one will join. I don't have any issues hosting with any other game. Even SF4 on the PS3.

McBradders

Pop On Arrival said:
friends just say they got an "unable to participate in session" error message. I can start a lobby and sit there for hours(I actually tried this) and no one will join. I don't have any issues hosting with any other game. Even SF4 on the PS3.

Are you running firewalls other than the built in Windows one? AV software?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
prodystopian said:
Thanks. Tips for Akuma since I know you play him?

jump up back and sling fireballs.

keep doing it even if you take some damage, you'll eventually just win.

Jirotrom

Pop On Arrival said:
Well at least you know thats not me... I run the game at 60fps locked. Everything maxed baby :D

catfish said:
No... I've been playing on a stick for years, its just mine busted... there will be no buyers regret you can trust me as I've been annoyed that I've been unable to use my Blarog on a pad. and I don't play many other folks.

Top Bottom