• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

GalacticAE said:
Here's my pool so far

Pool 19: Hold Dat, Yipes, FlashMetroid

Here's my buddy's pool so far

Pool 18: Combofiend, Buktooth, Ken I.

luls
FlashMetroid was at that anime convention tourney I went to this past weekend. Very good Viper.

shinjijai

YakiSOBA said:
Yo Shinji! I'm on as often as I can be... add me on PSN: imlou

It'll be good to play against you, the connection should be superb. Do you have MSN?

i'm mainly on at night (10pm and later) i'll add you on when i'm at home. psn: shinjijai.

i have msn, but i'm never on.. i'm hardly at home. but when i do, i'm on sfiv =)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Damn. Even the SF4 developers back me up in saying Sagat is Overpowered!!

:lol :lol :lol

=P. I had the worst bouts of my life this morning, I got creamed... except when I got pissed against a Viper player named papertiger. He beat me up one... then we met up at a Round 1 fight and I proceeded to perfect him one round and kick his ass the next. Made me feel redeemed! But after that? Not much. I got my ass kicked =(!! Sucks that in G1 I mostly get 2 bar or 3 bar connections. *sigh*. I want Blazblue already... or lobbies!!

Long time lurker...finally got activated.

Anyone want to play against me on XBLA, hit me up GT: Gnizzle858

I main Dictator, secondary is Abel/Honda.

Nose Master

I've yet to fight a good Seth. Well, good enough to beat me. They can be well beyond my skill level, but three mistakes and they're toast from the garbage HP.

Relix said:

=P. I had the worst bouts of my life this morning, I got creamed... except when I got pissed against a Viper player named papertiger. He beat me up one... then we met up at a Round 1 fight and I proceeded to perfect him one round and kick his ass the next. Made me feel redeemed! But after that? Not much. I got my ass kicked =(!! Sucks that in G1 I mostly get 2 bar or 3 bar connections. *sigh*. I want Blazblue already... or lobbies!!
oh man a lobby patch would be godly
some of the language in-game (like private slots) makes me think it was a goal at some point

oh well, i can dream

Mr Jared said:
Take the arcade tier list, now cram all the console characters at the bottom, but still above Vega. Boom, you're done. Okay, but to be more specific (and mostly IMO from everything I've seen)-

C - Gen
D - Sakura, Rose, Cammy
F - Dan, Fei-Long

Gouken?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
_dementia said:
oh man a lobby patch would be godly
some of the language in-game (like private slots) makes me think it was a goal at some point

oh well, i can dream

I would pay for that!

Mr Jared

DryEyeRelief said:

Haha.. I totally forgot about him :lol Uh, I'd say D, only because the his EX dash punch totally blows through everything. It's like getting a free punish on anything when you have a meter, but he still sucks.

As far as Rose goes, her EX moves really aren't particularly good. EX Soul Throw is alright at best. She has 0 useful reversals so you can basically have your way with her until she gets ultra and pray Rose doesn't blow that. I don't think she really has anything over guile or vega at all.

Yeah.. EX Soul Throw is her only workable EX and even then, it's easy to bait it out. Unless Rose is controlling the ground entirely with smart pokes and punishes, most characters can just run her right over.

GalacticAE said:
Here's my pool so far

Pool 19: Hold Dat, Yipes, FlashMetroid

Here's my buddy's pool so far

Pool 18: Combofiend, Buktooth, Ken I.

luls

HAHA nice, u got a pretty easy pool. Don't be scurred of any Viper's, she sucks. Dead honest when I say I don't think there's a single viper in America that can beat either of our Rog's. Just remember to FA bk shenanigans, and they ALWAYS use bk for first option if they're expecting a tick. Dunno how confident u are in sagat matchup, but might wanna keep a shoto warmed up just in case.

BTW if u want some "inside" knowledge, Combo's not going to play viper. After getting peaced out of Devastation via perfect from Buk, he's changing char. Might wanna relay that to ur bud(ivylicious?). Also, Buk knows the Rog matchup (obvious reasons) REAL well. I'd tell you his weaknesses, but Buk's gonna destroy your friend either way :lol

DTX BABY!

God damn I wish I could go to EVO

FindMyFarms said:
BTW if u want some "inside" knowledge, Combo's not going to play viper. After getting peaced out of Devastation via perfect from Buk, he's changing char.

That's disappointing. I wonder who he's switching to. Back to Balrog? Dhalsim?

Maybe Akuma?

webrunner said:
It's.. amazing how little of some of these posts I understand. I enjoy street fighter but I never learned the scene lingo

It defintely has it "own language" in a sort of way. If you don't keep up on it you'll be scratching your head trying to decypher the jibberish.

FindMyFarms said:
HAHA nice, u got a pretty easy pool. Don't be scurred of any Viper's, she sucks. Dead honest when I say I don't think there's a single viper in America that can beat either of our Rog's. Just remember to FA bk shenanigans, and they ALWAYS use bk for first option if they're expecting a tick. Dunno how confident u are in sagat matchup, but might wanna keep a shoto warmed up just in case.

BTW if u want some "inside" knowledge, Combo's not going to play viper. After getting peaced out of Devastation via perfect from Buk, he's changing char. Might wanna relay that to ur bud(ivylicious?). Also, Buk knows the Rog matchup (obvious reasons) REAL well. I'd tell you his weaknesses, but Buk's gonna destroy your friend either way :lol

DTX BABY!

God damn I wish I could go to EVO

Man.. Those pools play late Friday.. I may not be able to watch them as I'm going to the Fray Concert over at the Palms.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Teknopathetic said:
"Pool 18: Combofiend, Buktooth, Ken I."

Yikes.

Some pretty big name players in your pool, too, Galactic. You better represent!

As far as Rose goes, her EX moves really aren't particularly good. EX Soul Throw is alright at best. She has 0 useful reversals so you can basically have your way with her until she gets ultra and pray Rose doesn't blow that. I don't think she really has anything over guile or vega at all.

EX Soul Spiral does have startup invincibility, and is safer then a wakeup DP

EX Soul throw also has startup invincibility. Rose is in bad shape if she doesn't have EX, kinda similar to Honda in that regard.

Unsure if EX Soul reflect has any, but I doubt it- I never use that anyways. Sq

ArjanN

black_vegeta said:
It defintely has it "own language" in a sort of way. If you don't keep up on it you'll be scratching your head trying to decypher the jibberish.

I'm getting into it with street fighter IV now, but at first it's like decifering an alien langauge.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Relix said:

That was me :lol

I really hate chun :(

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Mr Jared said:
Take the arcade tier list, now cram all the console characters at the bottom, but still above Vega. Boom, you're done. Okay, but to be more specific (and mostly IMO from everything I've seen)-

C - Gen
D - Sakura, Rose, Cammy
F - Dan, Fei-Long

That's just me trying to be fair. Gen is C but he's a gimmick character that would be a D if so many people wouldn't fall for his crap. He can do a lot of great things but he mostly relies on setups that, if you're comfortable fighting him, aren't that big a threat.

Sakura, Rose and Cammy are the prime examples of what's wrong with console characters: none of them are versatile. Sakura can be a threat, but she does no damage. Rose and Cammy quite simply have nothing positive going for them, but they're not as bad as F-tier. And remember I used to main Rose :lol

Fei-Long and Dan are joke characters. I was so hype to play some Fei-Long (he became my HD Remix main along with my OGST main, Gief) but man ... he's just flat out bad. Damage aside, there's just nothing going on there.

And Dan is Dan :lol
Where is El Fuerte?
Where is MY El Fuerte ?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Augemitbutter said:
i hate invisible lag. green connections all over today, but with very noticable delays in every fucking fight.

what the hell?

I played Relix and there were 2 or 3 bars but we had one of the laggiest connections I've had in this game with that amount of bars. I kept testing it by pressing duck and seriously it felt like it took maybe a half a second for the input to register. For whatever reason, maybe it's ryu's slow attacks, I lose pretty much every really laggy match.

ArjanN said:
Fact: Dan is not the worst character.

Don't deny the facts!

_dementia said:
so it's safe to assume he's not running Viper at SBO as well?

If I recall correctly, there's no character swapping at all in sbo qualifiers and the tourney, so whatever character you qualified with, you have to play in the tourney as well.

Fersis said:
Where is El Fuerte?
Where is MY El Fuerte ?

Probably should have read the actual post you quoted.

"Take the Arcade Tier List" which was already posted

And then he mentioned mixing in the console characters and posted how he thinks they rank.

El Fuerte isn't a console character..

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
TheExodu5 said:
Pay for BlazBlue instead! :D

I will as soon as I find a copy!

Timedog said:
I played Relix and there were 2 or 3 bars but we had one of the laggiest connections I've had in this game with that amount of bars. I kept testing it by pressing duck and seriously it felt like it took maybe a half a second for the input to register. For whatever reason, maybe it's ryu's slow attacks, I lose pretty much every really laggy match.

You know... I have played some 2 bars people and it has felt like it was a green bar fight. I do agree the netcode sucks :lol

Lost Fragment said:
That was me :lol

I really hate chun :(

I fucking knew it was someone from GAF! :lol :lol Take that the second time as well =P!!! Friend me! =O!

Timedog said:

i lose most of those laggy matches too, simply because i lose my patience. its like you're stuck in a narrow room and have trouble to move. you'll give everything to be able to move freely, but its just not possible. your head is getting all red and you'll get pissed big time. but nothings gonna help, you're stuck with that feeling.

CPS2

prodystopian said:
How do the pools work? Round robin and top two advance or something?

I'm psyched to watch this stream. I can't wait for the tourney.

Round robin would take waaaay too long, there's over 1000 entrants. They typically go with double elim. If you make it out of the pools without losing, you have 2 lives left, and if you're 2nd in your pool, you go into the loser bracket for the finals with 1 life. That's how it's usually done anyway.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TurtleSnatcher said:
Probably should have read the actual post you quoted.

"Take the Arcade Tier List" which was already posted

And then he mentioned mixing in the console characters and posted how he thinks they rank.

El Fuerte isn't a console character..
Boo boo!
I read the actual post ... i didnt read the tier list. :D

Xevren

Sakura is definitely better than Dan, hell I saw a door stop today that could probably be better actually. He's terrible man!

GriffD17

Thanks for the games Timedog. Real high level play going on.

You say I'm decent, and I don't take it lightly. :\ By golly I ain't decect against other players apparently.

ArjanN said:
Sakura for one is worse than Dan.

Tiers aside, design-wise I think Dan is one of the best characters.
Uh Sakura dominates Dan..

wtf.

Immort4l there is no cover into Evo. Its free for spectators. Though if you are in Vegas on the 15th.. you won't see anything.. it starts Friday.. unless you get there the 15th.

I'm there 15th - 21st

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
GriffD17 said:
Thanks for the games Timedog. Real high level play going on.

You say I'm decent, and I don't take it lightly. :\ By golly I ain't decect against other players apparently.

Try out Blanka more. I think you got a round on my Ryu, and I was trying my best during that match. Just don't do the electricity so much, and definitely don't do it from full screen! It's good to do it against opponents when you're waking up and you KNOW they're gonna go for a jump in attack, and sometimes if you're right next to them. Also I was doing a lot of backward jumps after I'd fireball you and you'd bloack it, and you could have punished those with vertical balls. Other than that you did pretty well with Blanka.

It's hard to judge your Chun Li cause I don't really know her at all. Sorry :(

Also, good games Threi. You taught me a lesson with your M..Bison!

GriffD17

Timedog said:
Try out Blanka more. I think you got a round on my Ryu, and I was trying my best during that match. Just don't do the electricity so much, and definitely don't do it from full screen! It's good to do it against opponents when you're waking up and you KNOW they're gonna go for a jump in attack, and sometimes if you're right next to them. Also I was doing a lot of backward jumps after I'd fireball you and you'd bloack it, and you could have punished those with vertical balls. Other than that you did pretty well with Blanka.

I'll look into it. It was seriously my first time using him. I was just seeing how long the electricity would last. :lol Part of me doesn't like the way he plays. I like jumping and such with Chun. Blanka....meh...just doesn't do it for me. And what vertical balls? I assume you're talking about Blanka still?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
GriffD17 said:
I'll look into it. It was seriously my first time using him. I was just seeing how long the electricity would last. :lol Part of me doesn't like the way he plays. I like jumping and such with Chun. Blanka....meh...just doesn't do it for me. And what vertical balls? I assume you're talking about Blanka still?

yeah, blanka. I think it's charge down, press up and then press kick.

Imm0rt4l

TurtleSnatcher said:
Uh Sakura dominates Dan..

wtf.

Immort4l there is no cover into Evo. Its free for spectators. Though if you are in Vegas on the 15th.. you won't see anything.. it starts Friday.. unless you get there the 15th.

I'm there 15th - 21st
yea I know it starts Friday, I'm originally from Vegas so I'm going out there for summer break from the 15th to the end of august.

Man, every time I run into a decent/good Gief I'm always winning until I screw up my air tatsu(I main Ryu) and it happened again. We trade the first 2 rounds and I'm winning the 3rd until my air tatsu out of the corner is nothing but a regular jump kick and I land into a lariat. He does the cross up game on me and puts me near death. I'm so desperate to escape that when I finally do, I accidentally jump into him and got killed by another lariat.

Maybe other pad players can understand but I also have problems getting a lot of traveling miles out of my air tatsu. When I watched Poongko against Itabashi, he was always timing a perfect air tatsu to travel as far as possible to the other side of the screen. Many of mines barely gets me across my opponent who only like half a screen away from me.

"EX Soul Spiral does have startup invincibility, and is safer then a wakeup DP

EX Soul throw also has startup invincibility. Rose is in bad shape if she doesn't have EX, kinda similar to Honda in that regard.

Unsure if EX Soul reflect has any, but I doubt it- I never use that anyways. Sq"

EX Soul Spiral has massive startup and the invincibility frames don't cover all of it. People can jab you out of it.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Rice-Eater said:
Man, every time I run into a decent/good Gief I'm always winning until I screw up my air tatsu(I main Ryu) and it happened again. We trade the first 2 rounds and I'm winning the 3rd until my air tatsu out of the corner is nothing but a regular jump kick and I land into a lariat. He does the cross up game on me and puts me near death. I'm so desperate to escape that when I finally do, I accidentally jump into him and got killed by another lariat.

Maybe other pad players can understand but I also have problems getting a lot of traveling miles out of my air tatsu. When I watched Poongko against Itabashi, he was always timing a perfect air tatsu to travel as far as possible to the other side of the screen. Many of mines barely gets me across my opponent who only like half a screen away from me.

You using a madcatz pad? tatsus are so hard on that thing, and doubley hard after my pad broke.

Timedog said:
You using a madcatz pad? tatsus are so hard on that thing, and doubley hard after my pad broke.

I'm playing on PS3 so I'm using a DS3. I'm very comfortable with it since I've owned all 3 PS systems and have been playing fighting games on it since the first Playstation. But unless you're some kind of pad prodigy like Alioune(2nd place finisher in SF4 Euro tourney), you're always going to have limitations playing on a pad.

Top Bottom