• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

jacobs34

Relix said:
I can only speak in behalf of the TE stick, but I can say it's awesome, the buttons are perfect, so is the stick and just everything about it. Hell, even the packaging it comes with should cost more than other sticks :lol

Ha Ha, yeah that's what people are telling me on XBL, it looks like I'm going to pull the trigger on it soon. Now I have a week of getting used to a stick ahead of me, but it'll be worth it.

kitzkozan

jacobs34 said:
Ha Ha, yeah that's what people are telling me on XBL, it looks like I'm going to pull the trigger on it soon. Now I have a week of getting used to a stick ahead of me, but it'll be worth it.

The TE stick is godlike. :lol

The one and only stroke of genius from Madcatz and now they probably made a ton of money thanks to these SF IV sticks.

I think they will eventually become common as either Namco or Capcom will produce another batch for an upcoming big fighting game.I better have a freaking stick to play my FG or GTFO. :lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I think if they had the buttons I'm used to in american arcade from when i was younger double tapping would be so much easier. As of now, double tapping is useless to me. I never do 1 frame links though so I can get combos done without two stepping, pimp, just need to practice.

Hate Chun-Li. Forgot how to deal with her since it feels that practically every move of hers outprioritizes Dhalsim's moves. Annoying, and not even Sagat is that big a pain-in-the-ass for me (even when they're actually good).

I also like people who think they can get an easy win with a so-called counter-pick:

dscn0882small342.png

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
If you want to fight Chun... I am sure I have you on my XBL MicVlad. We could play in two or three hours if you want to... i need practice against great Dhalsim's as well. Do remember... we only have two sad bars so its up to you :lol

I have a MAS stick. I personally don't like the TE. I can't do fireballs and SRKs. I always end up jumping around. I am too violent with the stick, haha. Don't like sanwa at all actually. One day I will try those Korean fanta sticks.

Also, Gief is a counter pick for Sim? wha? that guy needs to learn how to counter pick.

Relix said:
If you want to fight Chun... I am sure I have you on my XBL MicVlad. We could play in two or three hours if you want to... i need practice against great Dhalsim's as well. Do remember... we only have two sad bars so its up to you :lol
Our matches have noticeable input lag, so I won't really learn anything if I were to invite you, unfortunately.

Ledsen

MicVlaD said:
Hate Chun-Li. Forgot how to deal with her since it feels that practically every move of hers outprioritizes Dhalsim's moves. Annoying, and not even Sagat is that big a pain-in-the-ass for me (even when they're actually good).

I also like people who think they can get an easy win with a so-called counter-pick:

dscn0882small342.png

YOU hate Chun-Li? I have huuuge problems playing against Dhalsim :/ I guess it's different for you, since you don't play keep-away. Try it and you'll see Chun cry.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Ledsen said:
YOU hate Chun-Li? I have huuuge problems playing against Dhalsim :/ I guess it's different for you, since you don't play keep-away. Try it and you'll see Chun cry.

Worst possible tactic. FA every double punch attempt and they are screwed. FA FA FA FA and get close. As long as you are inside they are nearly done. If they teleport behind you have the pokes ready. Just press Light Punch and you will screw their timing. You can grab them off their Ultra. A light kick will beat any aerial attack from Dhalshim. Etc etc etc...\

Also Vlad... yeah... lag. Fucking SF4 netcode =(

Ledsen

Relix said:
Worst possible tactic. FA every double punch attempt and they are screwed. FA FA FA FA and get close. As long as you are inside they are nearly done. If they teleport behind you have the pokes ready. Just press Light Punch and you will screw their timing. You can grab them off their Ultra. A light kick will beat any aerial attack from Dhalshim. Etc etc etc...\

Also Vlad... yeah... lag. Fucking SF4 netcode =(

Yeah, I guess I should've said "Try it and you'll see ME cry". I suck :( I try to FA the limbs but it doesn't really help any, either they throw out another attack that hits me or I have to block and get pushed away again. If you have some more detailed tactics I'd be happy to hear them.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Ledsen said:
Yeah, I guess I should've said "Try it and you'll see ME cry". I suck :( I try to FA the limbs but it doesn't really help any, either they throw out another attack that hits me or I have to block and get pushed away again. If you have some more detailed tactics I'd be happy to hear them.

I am no expert of course but I just scare Dhalsim's with the FA. Never keep moving forward constantly, keep them guessing. They can hit you if you do a FA and move forward. You can FA... Backwards just to screw their timing. Or just dash forward. The thing is... mix up your game as you close in, keep the Dhalsim guessing. Never do the same two times. If they teleport far away from you either jump, dash or hassan shou. Keep. Them. Guessing. It's a pretty tactical fight instead of input happy fight. Kikokens are great as you can shoot a slow one... dash forward. Wait, shoot one... dash. You can then FA... etc etc etc.

MicVlaD said:

dscn0882small342.png
After playing with filters on the pc version, the characters here look soooo plain and boring.

I hate droppers, not that i'm very good but it makes adding wins to my tally slower and more annoying to do so.

Dynamic3

Does anyone else's TE stick have a little play in it. Mine isn't firm when stationary and I didn't know if this was normal. Thanks.

Side note, I still can't pull of anything in the trial mode, wtf. I don't see how my timing can be so off.

MIMIC

Banned
MicVlaD said:

Oh God, yes! :lol

Just a few days ago, I was making my pick and quickly selected Fuerte. My opponent was hovering over someone, paused, then selected Blanka after I picked.

He was a pretty good Blanka but I beat him in 2. Then he left the lobby.

MicVlaD said:

Since when did Gief counter Sim?

LakeEarth said:
How long do you figure before XBL/PSN Blanka players start doing that throw knockdown to ultra cross up 50/50?

Hopefully never :( It's a really annoying tactic, coupled w/ almost full damage ultra off ambiguos crossup -> cr. mk link, along w/ hop ultra, and FUCK YOU BLANKA. I know Rog beats him 7-3, but damn if it doesn't feel like that sometimes.

FindMyFarms said:
FUCK YOU BLANKA. I know Rog beats him 7-3, but damn if it doesn't feel like that sometimes.
Indeed. I feel the same. It is kinda like the gief match up. Make one mistake after Gief/Blanka gets their revenge bar full and you're out. And I don't like to turtle that much, but it is almost the only option against Gief/Blanka.

_dementia said:
ggs MicVlaD sorry I had to go out with some friends.

I've missed you :)
TimeKillr said:
Sorry about the invite - I was on the PC version with a fellow gaffer and we were recording some stuff.
No worries.

catfish said:
11-0 seems pretty embarrassing, but I can't remember a match I didn't make you work for at least! god some of dhalsims tricks I can't learn at all. the whole 'I ultra'd now I'm teleporting or FAing' thing was murder. I don't know what to do! Is there a way to beat the FA if you're up close? I don't think I can teleport out in time, I tried it 3 times and got ultra ko-d every time.
You should ask someone else about that. I don't know the ins and outs myself, because I often bumrush enemy Dhalsims during mirror matches. When they do knock me down and unleash their Ultra, I just reversal teleport out of there.

Ledsen said:
Did the long-range game because the Chun-Li I faced turtled like crazy, but almost all of my long-range attacks were beaten by her... jab (which the guy spammed). Either that or the moves traded. Might've done better if I didn't just start playing the game at that point, as I quickly got frustrated by Chun's priority.

FindMyFarms said:
Since when did Gief counter Sim?
I'm not saying that Zangief actually is a solid counter-pick for Dhalsim, but a lot of people - the ones who aren't particularly good and prefer to cheese their way through Ranked / Championship - out there think that he is for some reason. Those very same players usually also believe that Blanka is another fine choice against Dhalsim, only for the non-stop cross-ups and up-close electricity (anything else would be too complicated for them to execute).

MicVlaD said:

dscn0882small342.png

Love that. People thinking Gief is all might. HAHAHAH.

Jenga

Banned
right so,

is there any sure-fire way to fight off crossups?

I fought a gen, fei-long, and ryu where all they did throughout the match was either crossup or tick throw. Tick throw isn't hard to deal with, but holy fuck some people play characters like crossup is the only thing they can do.

again, I'd always punish them when they fuck up, but is there any way to deal with this crossup spam shit to send the message that's not going to work?

f0nz0

wha wha! finally broke 10gp today with 98% of those points being EARNED with sakura :D
i still cant consitently pull off the crazy sabre style mixup stuns, but im gettin there

Won

Jenga said:
right so,

I fought a gen, fei-long, and ryu where all they did throughout the match was either crossup or tick throw. Tick throw isn't hard to deal with, but holy fuck some people play characters like crossup is the only thing they can do.

again, I'd always punish them when they fuck up, but is there any way to deal with this crossup spam shit to send the message that's not going to work?

How about dashing?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Jenga said:
right so,

depends on which character you're playing. i'm a pretty casual player, i main guile, and i don't think he has good solutions for properly spaced crossups. cr+hp beats badly spaced ones. when i'm playing crossup-happy players i mainly try to control the range so they can't jump from the spots they want

Mr Jared

Hey Glorious PC Gaming Master Race, I've got a problem with the PC version of SF4. Two of them, in fact.

1) I set my controls via the keyboard menu, and then when I get into the game, they respond completely differently. Whassup with that? It's like it's not accepting my changes.

2) How do I play two players locally on this without getting two usb sticks? My arcade cab is wired through keyboard presses :(

I decided to play arcade mode with a character I know so I can try and get used to my new arcade stick. So far ultras are tougher to pull off than on the DS3. I think I just need to get a feel for it. I have no idea how PSN works, I've never really used it. But I'm ParallaxScroll on PSN.

snack

Parallax Scroll said:
I decided to play arcade mode with a character I know so I can try and get used to my new arcade stick. So far ultras are tougher to pull off than on the DS3. I think I just need to get a feel for it. I have no idea how PSN works, I've never really used it. But I'm ParallaxScroll on PSN.
Feel free to add me.

My PSN is: trueSAMURAI

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
prodystopian said:
Wooow. Mago ran over Daigo at God's Garden. Anyone know how those two got into loser's?

Daigo lost to uryo or whoever that got 2nd place.

Mago lost to some scrub that I could beat in my sleep.

abombb

Banned
I find it hard to stay on one character to learn. I just spent the last couple hundred matches playing nothing but random, because I just stick to one character I find myself getting bored. I may not win as much, but I have more fun.

Top Bottom