• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

decon

Been away from SF4 for some time now. Is there a website where I can watch the EVO finals and other EVO matches in a good quality for free?

GamerSoul

decon said:
Been away from SF4 for some time now. Is there a website where I can watch the EVO finals and other EVO matches in a good quality for free?

I think we just have this right now.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1840331

And man, I don't know why but I'm loving Ken. I play him like a hybrid of my main, Sakura. SRK ALL DAY, motherluvers.

I'm also trying to get more technical with Sakura trying to land her mk->l.tatsu->mk->l.tatsu->crouching f.pnch->into a ex.tatsu-> otoshi.......but the that timing needed is ridiculous. lol

LosDaddie

Banned
Anyone have some advice for playing against Vega? I'd greatly appreciate it.

I main Akuma and I got my shit rocked last night by a few Vega players. It was fucking pathetic :lol Otherwise, I was doing my usual.....winning about 30-40% of my matches.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
LosDaddie said:

I main Akuma and I got my shit rocked last night by a few Vega players. It was fucking pathetic :lol Otherwise, I was doing my usual.....winning about 30-40% of my matches.
teleport, light srk or focus and punish when he dives at you forcing him to stay on the ground. push him into the corner and run wild. Vega can't do shit in the corner.

LosDaddie said:

Do what every other Akuma does...jumping back and air fireball your ass off son!!!

Brobzoid

black_vegeta said:
Do what every other Akuma does...jumping back and air fireball your ass off son!!!
I feel like I'm catching a lucky break when I play Vega and get a jumping Akuma. All kinds of stupid to jump around against Vega. I'll Barcelona the shit out of you son! ;)

LosDaddie said:

In addition to the tips mentioned, if the player likes to use the backflip on wakeup (to get away) dash in and throw on the recovery. Be careful if they have meter because they can flipkick.

I played a Vega who turtled me to death a few days ago. Except it wasn't through constant wall jump attacks. He noticed I FADC'd a couple of his attack and threw him. From then on he would do wall leaps randomly and would do several fakes just to get me thinking. Basically he beat me by poking me everytime I got near him and then running away. And man he was ramming LP+LK like crazy because he tech'd like 90% of my throw attempts. Damn I hate that fucker, I want to play Vega and beat them with the most annoying tactics I can think of.

LosDaddie

Banned
Brobzoid said:
teleport, light srk or focus and punish when he dives at you forcing him to stay on the ground. push him into the corner and run wild. Vega can't do shit in the corner.

Thanks! I'll definitely try to Focus when Vega does his dive.....I think the dive got me more than anything else.

EDIT: You're also recommending that I stay grounded, right? I tried not to jump too much, but even when I did, the Vegas tore me up.

black_vegeta said:

What do you think I was doing?:lol

Brobzoid

LosDaddie said:
Thanks! I'll definitely try to Focus when Vega does his dive.....I think the dive got me more than anything else.

EDIT: You're also recommending that I stay grounded, right? I tried not to jump too much, but even when I did, the Vegas tore me up.
Vega's got an air throw and in SF4 air throws have the priority of a fuggen mountain. So yes, you should stay grounded. Depending on how good the Vega player is you can of course jump if you think his reaction time is bad enough.

Some other things to consider; Vega's roll is good chip damage so throw a fireball if you're at the appropriate distance, the EX roll goes under fireballs though so watch out for that. A good Vega player will use the FA a lot as well so stay frosty with your armor breaks.

The Vega players I've encountered usually race for some EX bars and try to do you in by spamming Barcelona wall jumps and trying to be random with it (jumping up on the wall and down were they stood trying to get you to commit to something they can punish), if you catch someone doing this to a fault - fuck them and do EX demon flip throw or something, that will land them deep in the corner and they'll be sore out of luck.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
myDingling said:
G1? Fuckers be in S1 already?!

I hope you meant G2.

SG. Yeah there are some people out of G1, including now this asshole. I tried to reversal dragon punch his awful non cross up wake up attack that wasn't a safe jump, which would have clinched the victory even if it traded, but it didn't come out and he comboed my last remaining energy.

cowden_harley said:
Cheers for the swift reply. Not sure wether to buy. Was never great at it.

I never cared for SF or any fighting game (except DOA casually) until SF4. I've put 225 hours into it. The most I've played anything since FFXI. It's most definitely worth it, especially at $20.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
cowden_harley said:
Is this worth getting for a total sf noob since snes days

I was in the same boat. Hadn't played SF since SFII turbo until I got HD remix about a month before SF4 came out. Now I'm the best SFIV player on the west coast, and Top 10 in the world.

atkbob

Banned
Timedog said:
I was in the same boat. Hadn't played SF since SFII turbo until I got HD remix about a month before SF4 came out. Now I'm the best SFIV player on the west coast, and Top 10 in the world.
What's the correlation between the people on the leaderboards with hundreds of thousands of BP or GP versus "Top __ in the world"?

Today I played against this flowchart Ken in G1 Champ. Awesome stuff.

When I was out of the SRK distance, he was doing c.mk. When I got close, BAM *FP SRK*. Block and punish, block and punish.

The awesome thing is that this guy has almost 30k GP :D

GamerSoul

Why don't we have more Chun players? Earlier today I really got tortured by a Chun-li. Dude has doing almost every SF4 Chun-li trick in the book. He kept wanting to play against me.:lol it stopped being fun after the fourth time.

GamerSoul said:
Why don't we have more Chun players? Earlier today I really got tortured by a Chun-li. Dude has doing almost every SF4 Chun-li trick in the book. He kept wanting to play against me.:lol it stopped being fun after the fourth time.

Chun was my main before I switched to Akuma. I still play her, though. Add me if you are on PSN (Prodystopian). If you are on Xbox, Relix mains Chun.

GamerSoul

prodystopian said:
Chun was my main before I switched to Akuma. I still play her, though. Add me if you are on PSN (Prodystopian). If you are on Xbox, Relix mains Chun.

I'm on the xbox. Relix ay...maybe after i get my stuff down. lol

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Hello, stick noob here, I have some questions. I got my TE stick today, took a 3 month hiatus from the game in the meantime. I decided to do trial challenges and basically approach the game as if it were my first time playing it (which it is with a stick).

During my experimenting, I noticed there are some moves/combos/cancels from various characters that I can only do well when using turbo. How does the community view turbo, as a copout or fair game since you payed for it? Am I better off trying to do things without it or is using it a necessity except for the great players? Do I treat it like training wheels until I feel confident enough to not use it.?

"How does the community view turbo, as a copout or fair game since you payed for it? Am I better off trying to do things without it or is using it a necessity except for the great players? Do I treat it like training wheels until I feel confident enough to not use it.?"

Turbo is universally looked down upon. In a competitive setting it's not allowed at all, in a casual setting you're defeating the purpose of playing in a casual setting. There's no place where it's viewed as acceptable.

Ledsen

bone_and_sinew said:
Hello, stick noob here, I have some questions. I got my TE stick today, took a 3 month hiatus from the game in the meantime. I decided to do trial challenges and basically approach the game as if it were my first time playing it (which it is with a stick).

During my experimenting, I noticed there are some moves/combos/cancels from various characters that I can only do well when using turbo. How does the community view turbo, as a copout or fair game since you payed for it? Am I better off trying to do things without it or is using it a necessity except for the great players? Do I treat it like training wheels until I feel confident enough to not use it.?

Basically you don't use it at all. Learn to piano, plink and double tap.

MIMIC

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"How does the community view turbo, as a copout or fair game since you payed for it? Am I better off trying to do things without it or is using it a necessity except for the great players? Do I treat it like training wheels until I feel confident enough to not use it.?"

Turbo is universally looked down upon. In a competitive setting it's not allowed at all, in a casual setting you're defeating the purpose of playing in a casual setting. There's no place where it's viewed as acceptable.

Only to complete the trials :)

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Noted. I haven't played against anyone with the stick yet (my shit battle record, lack of points, and scant trophy collection will attest to that). I've just been experimenting in trials, training mode, and trying it out with my PS1 and 2D PSN games as well.

Somewhat ot: I read that mod's post with Wuncler's voice and it was even more discouraging :lol

Easy Mode Street Fighter.

If you're Sagat, put Fierce Punch and Roundhouse to Turbo. Hold those two buttons down and slowly do qcf's repeatedly, you'll get a mix of high and low shots. If you think you're opponent is going to jump, let go of fierce, stop doing QCF's, and just hold roundhouse. You WILL win a lot with this method :lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Rocky_Balboa said:

When I was out of the SRK distance, he was doing c.mk. When I got close, BAM *FP SRK*. Block and punish, block and punish.

The guy who made that vid is an idiot.

bone_and_sinew said:
Somewhat ot: I read that mod's post with Wuncler's voice and it was even more discouraging :lol
:lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Rocky_Balboa said:

Ummmm, DarksydeClown was playing straight-up horrible in that match - 30 second limit or not... congrats to you for taking him out though - as should anyone who's played months and months of Ranked/Championship matches...

Rufus was one of the guys I used to main while I used the pad till I dropped him completely when I got the TE, and I don't even want to start with the stupid things and missed opportunities the whiny bastard committed in that vid...

And this fool should know by now to look for the time limit before okaying a match - it was what I looked for first thing after ending up in my first one (still won it BTW) back before I abandoned playing with randoms altogether in SFIV...

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I don't even know how to setup the turbo buttons on my stick :lol

EDIT"OH I fought that BlackHawkDown dude. He sucked, really, really bad.

I watched the video. I was surprised he didn't punish the SRKs more effectively. I'm not a Rufus guy but can't you do fierce into the spinning move? And doesn't the dive kick snuff the SRK from certain angles?

DSP seems suspect but I won't lie I've ran into some fights where someone with crappy technique/strategy befuddled me.

I've bounced around back and forth, back and forth between characters but for around a week now I've just played Fuerte. I remember when I saw Street Fighter IV in the arcades and was dazzled by Fuerte, then I got the actual chance to play Fuerte and I hated him, found him to spastic. Now, I've had the time to dive deep and play and I have to say, he is my favorite character ever in any street fighter game.

Also just loving having a street fighter game to play over and over. I got a friend who never had played fighters before, totally into MMOs and strategy games, and he actually stopped playing wow and is playing street fighter now.

I gotta say its the best fighter ever.

Relix said:
I don't even know how to setup the turbo buttons on my stick :lol

EDIT"OH I fought that BlackHawkDown dude. He sucked, really, really bad.

I saw that DSP video and laughed my ass off, and yes I actually did play BlackHawkDown later down the road in ranked G1. It was the Final, too! I beat his ass but, damn, I was shocked he was in the final with me. If people just learned to consistently block and bait.

It was a 4 bar connection though (the bare minimum I accept). I can understand Shoryu spam is a big problem with laggy connections. Hence why these guys get so high ranked.

bone_and_sinew said:

Dude I used turbo to get some of those trials. The trials are interesting to see what is possible to do with the game engine but, half those combos while cool to see are worthless and/or not worth the trouble at high level play.

I'm still stumped at the hard trials right now. Those are holding me back from a 1000/1000 on this game. I'm at 850 and the last 3 achievements are all tied together to hard trials :/ Some of the trials, especially with charge characters, just seem impossible (crazy partitions and the like, dashing forward + releasing a charge move pains me)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Spiderjericho said:
...I won't lie I've ran into some fights where someone with crappy technique/strategy befuddled me.

This is the genius of SF4 and one of the reasons so many new comers immediately feel at home, as opposed to say, 3rd Strike. It's pretty maddening sometimes.

bob_arctor said:
This is the genius of SF4 and one of the reasons so many new comers immediately feel at home, as opposed to say, 3rd Strike. It's pretty maddening sometimes.

It's only online though, cuz the lag throws off timing. That shit never flies in person.

Top Bottom