• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well, I didn't give much of a challenge to DarkSloth. Went either 1-7 or 1-8.

Learned a few things though and got some practice in. One of these days I'll figure out SF4.

DarkSloth

FindMyFarms said:
Anti-air(jump back fp w/ chun)! You kept letting him jump in for free. Once you keep him grounded then work the footsies.
Good point, thanks!
FindMyFarms said:
Also not doing df + RH on any knocked down opponent w/ a DP is a good rule of thumb.
Haha! Yeah, I regretted it immediately, but I was horribly desperate.

Good games, Hitokage. I've had been trying to catch you online for a week or so.

Mr Jared said:
Heh, yeah, Graham pretty much started SF4 a week or so before EVO. Last time I checked, he was making the transition from Sagat. Super cool guy, I met him for the first time at EVO where he borrowed my stick and then proceeded to totally dismantle Daigo in HD Remix. It was pretty brutal stuff.

You definitely don't want to play him in ST/HDR :lol

Haha, yeah. I was so tempted to ask for an autograph since living where I do, I never expect to see familiar faces in the SF scene. Figured it would be awkward for him, so I asked him for a pic instead!

Super cool guy. He said he'll be coming back over here after his trip to Thailand. Really want to play with him again.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Omar Ismail said:
Sweet combos the other day (my GT is rastex, I main Gouken).

I have to say though, I enjoy the Sakura matchup, I think it's in Gouken's favor :)
You're definitely better than me, but I was still able to eek out more wins.
i think only dan and vega are in sakuras favour. the best she can hope for is 5-5-. :p

MIMIC

Banned
ChennehCis said:
Good games tonight Mr. Chickeny Dinner, your messages to me today made me chuckle :lol

I got one of those "messages", too :lol

Sorry I couldn't play. I was 1-7 against a guy (I was playing like crap for some reason) so I was out to redeem myself.

GG's tonight Farms. I may have taken your Gief for a ride, but your Ryu is still a problem.

I know i have to stay close to Ryu to have a chance, but I always have to think really hard against yours, and before you know it, I have no life left :lol

Killa Sasa said:
GG's tonight Farms. I may have taken your Gief for a ride, but your Ryu is still a problem.

I know i have to stay close to Ryu to have a chance, but I always have to think really hard against yours, and before you know it, I have no life left :lol

U took gief for a glorious mahvel curley mustache ride. It was an amazing rubbing of gief's stache and cammy's stache of skills. A sight to behold indeed, I was in awe. GG's sir.

Ledsen

FindMyFarms said:
Anti-air(jump back fp w/ chun)! You kept letting him jump in for free. Once you keep him grounded then work the footsies. Also not doing df + RH on any knocked down opponent w/ a DP is a good rule of thumb.

Hm, Nemo does it all the time (almost every knockdown he gets) but I guess he knows how to safe jump with it.

Ledsen said:
Hm, Nemo does it all the time (almost every knockdown he gets) but I guess he knows how to safe jump with it.

I don't think there is a way to safe jump with it. You can make it an ambiguous cross up if you space it right, but IIRC Nemo is a bit of a risk taker, and you will only see him do it after doing some other wake up games, so that the opponent doesn't expect it.

Ledsen

prodystopian said:
I don't think there is a way to safe jump with it. You can make it an ambiguous cross up if you space it right, but IIRC Nemo is a bit of a risk taker, and you will only see him do it after doing some other wake up games, so that the opponent doesn't expect it.

He does take a lot of risks (especially compared to Nuki), and that includes doing the df+hk at every opportunity from what I've seen in casuals :lol But he's probably just trying to get the distance for the ambigious cross-up perfect and screwing around, you're probably right about him not doing it all the time in tournaments.

CPS2

It's a safe move and not an ambiguous crossup, it either crosses up or whiffs =P

He does it from max distance so he's right over their head, not their arm where a DP will hit. If they DP they either whiff or get hit, and after that they have to block, which puts Nemo at +2.

Vangellis

Ledsen said:

You can be somewhat safe with it but the timing is tight, and you need to take a risks on how fast they will get up. I time it bit late when fighting someone with a DP. If you time it just right their DP will come out going away from you. Then you kick them in the back as they are DPing. Her crossup can really fuck someone up if your timing is tight and they dont address it fast enough.

Also i noticed you getting hammered by sagat fireballs when you had a revenge meter... do your super though the fireballs and make them think twice of doing that shit to chun :p

hey haunts,

I got an invite to play SF4 last week from you, but I just gotta let you know that I'm TERRIBLE at this game now... Haven't touched in a while... Been playing BB :D

Lyte Edge gave me a nice beating couple weeks ago and haven't touched it since.

V_Arnold

Rokitty, very, very good games!

I was so happy that I started with wins - i got too confident and spirited at the same time. I really felt in these matches that I am stronger, mostly because I started to lead in the first few sets, and you had to do 3-2's instead of you pwning me 3-0 or 3-1 all the time.

But after the break, I fell apart, and my performance went awful.
There is one hard thing I learned, and which I should have learnt weeks ago:
STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM BALROG WHEN HE HAS ULTRA!

I mean... you literally headbutt-ultra'd me dozens of time. When I am sitting on even a little hp lead, i have to turtle instead of trying to attack , cause that is the only safe tactic....

And ex Thunder Knuckle + Ultra is awesome against Balrogs, by the way.

Thanks for the matches, the next time we play I will be even more stronger : )

Mr Jared

As the other Chun main on GAF, I can definitely confirm that df.rh is safe against DP characters, but only if you get the timing down. Once you understand how the timing and how the arc of the jump works, you can trick just about anyone into falling for it and whiffing their DP.

This is also extremely useful against Balrog, since headbutt whiffs big time and really, Chun can use any advantage in this match-up that she can get. It's a risky move against Sagat though, since he hardly moves anywhere but straight up. Everyone else, however, is fair game.

If you time it all right, the game won't auto-correct for the cross-up and you'll either stuff their attempt or they'll whiff completely, giving you enough time to dash in and go for a combo.

Oh, so I finallly took a long overdue shot of SF4 running on my arcade cab. Yay! Plenty of stupid costumes installed, but I try to keep it sane :lol

V_Arnold said:
Rokitty, very, very good games!

GGs! My Fei Long was hot, right? :D I accidentally took random in the beginning. I didnt' even remember his moves at first.

You had some new tricks and mixups. The first set was much closer. Those new tricks were working pretty well at first. And in the end EX-something + Ultra also. I was throwing out way too many random headbutts and sweeps. Also you countered my overheads in the beginning.

After I discovered that focus attack works well on Viper's jumpins and flame kicks. From that I could do some nice combos with the EX-rush upper and overhead smash. And of course some headbutt to ultra action :D

Btw. sorry about the break. I had to do some stuff that couldn't wait.

Mr Jared said:
As the other Chun main on GAF, I can definitely confirm that df.rh is safe against DP characters, but only if you get the timing down. Once you understand how the timing and how the arc of the jump works, you can trick just about anyone into falling for it and whiffing their DP.

This is also extremely useful against Balrog, since headbutt whiffs big time and really, Chun can use any advantage in this match-up that she can get. It's a risky move against Sagat though, since he hardly moves anywhere but straight up. Everyone else, however, is fair game.

If you time it all right, the game won't auto-correct for the cross-up and you'll either stuff their attempt or they'll whiff completely, giving you enough time to dash in and go for a combo.

Oh, so I finallly took a long overdue shot of SF4 running on my arcade cab. Yay! Plenty of stupid costumes installed, but I try to keep it sane :lol

Damn, that's a nice cab!! Lucky bastard. :p

GGs FindMyFarms. Thank you for the insight about my playing. I definitely gotta work on not giving up ground and being lured into the corner.

I hope to you more in the future, as well as other GAFers.

BitchTits

I often get hit by the second hit of Chun Li's jumping HP, is there some special way to block both hits, or am I getting hit because I am automatically holding db after the first hit and should wait for the second?

Incidently, when I'm playing Gen and I see someone go for Chun-Li, I get a shudder. I don't really have any problems with Gen against anyone else (maybe a really good Seth), but a decent Chun-Li I have problems with, I don't know why.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
My comp is fucked so I won't be posting here much for a long time but hit me up if you wanna see the best in the west coast, playboy.

BotoxAgent said:
GGs FindMyFarms. Thank you for the insight about my playing. I definitely gotta work on not giving up ground and being lured into the corner.

I hope to you more in the future, as well as other GAFers.

GGs man were u jenova?

BitchTits said:
I often get hit by the second hit of Chun Li's jumping HP, is there some special way to block both hits, or am I getting hit because I am automatically holding db after the first hit and should wait for the second?

Incidently, when I'm playing Gen and I see someone go for Chun-Li, I get a shudder. I don't really have any problems with Gen against anyone else (maybe a really good Seth), but a decent Chun-Li I have problems with, I don't know why.

As someone who plays as Chun, I feel so fucking stupid when I get hit by that second hit.:lol

BitchTits

prodystopian said:
As someone who plays as Chun, I feel so fucking stupid when I get hit by that second hit.:lol
I don't use her that often any more, but she's still in my top 6 most played characters according to stats. It's not like I don't know it hits twice, I just almost always fall for it too :lol

ShinNL

Hey everyone. I just like to say I joined the SF4 club (PC, Steam version). I've been playing for a while and my main is C.Viper.

In online play I managed to get to the G2 league pretty fast but now the players are sometimes pretty decent so no more straight wins :(

Anyway, I've noticed a few things:

- This game rewards backjumping and fleeing way more than SF3:3rd Strike
- Have an amazingly hard time against Blanka, Guile and Dictator at first.
- C.Viper combos are so satisfying when executed correctly. But the diagonal super jump -> special move kick is a bit hard to do on a keyboard.
- Can't fraps this game because I barely got it running on my notebook at this resolution with medium model quality (middle screenshot)
- So many freaking Kens. Then Ryu's. Then Akuma/Goukies. But Ken really takes the crown.
- Sometimes sitting & blocking right in front of the opponent created funny panic reactions.

I like how many matches I get to play if I just start up arcade mode and let the request come in. It actually feels very arcady like this. But I really don't like the amount of backjumping people (especially with characters shooting stuff). Thank goodness my saving grace is that ground blast thingy which perfectly hits if the other one shoots a fireball at the furthest distance.

For Guile it's pretty insanely hard when I didn't know that I could use a reversal fire kick on the second sweep. With that it's a whole lot easier.

Dictator is pretty useless if you just walk backwards when it goes flying towards your head. Miss -> free grab -> rush.

Blanka still sucks. My only way to catch one is to dash and shoot lightning (which is blockable, but pushes the other close to the edge each time) or hope for a failed electric shock and let me do a Mk -> Lightning Strike.

I wish there were more people who just fight properly. So far I think the ratio is about 2-3%. The rest jumps back. I usually just test it in the 2nd round by starting with a taunt.

A Panic Ultra is pretty annoying when it hits. But that's partially because my Ultra isn't that great of an escape as other char's Ultras. Comboable Ultras are a bit evil though (Sagat, Ryu, Gouken :O)

Ledsen

UC1 said:
It's a safe move and not an ambiguous crossup, it either crosses up or whiffs =P

He does it from max distance so he's right over their head, not their arm where a DP will hit. If they DP they either whiff or get hit, and after that they have to block, which puts Nemo at +2.

Actually it can hit from both sides, front and back, so it is an ambigious crossup.

Mr Jared said:

Thanks for the explanation, now I understand why Nemo does it so much. He's got that shit down to a science, and no one dares to reversal against him.

CPS2

Ledsen said:
Actually it can hit from both sides, front and back, so it is an ambigious crossup.

Are you sure? I just set CPU to all block and from every range, it either crosses up or whiffs. Pretty sure it doesn't hit from the front at all.

Ledsen said:
Thanks for the explanation, now I understand why Nemo does it so much. He's got that shit down to a science, and no one dares to reversal against him.

i like how Nemo uses the df+hk to hit ambigiously making it hard to know which way to block. Hard knowing the proper distance to do it correctly.

but I still prefer Nuki's style, he's so much more clean and crisp in his approach.

LakeEarth

WTF was G1 last night? I literally ran into 1 Ryu in a whole hour. 5 Guiles, 4 Kens, 5 Zangiefs, 4 Boxers, 4 Dictators, 3 Honda's and a few Blankas and Akumas... but just 1 Ryu? Bizarro Live?

Owensboro

Welp, consider me in the game ladies and gents. I bought a TE stick last week and have been catching up on all the fighting goodness I've been missing since the SNES era. I still have no idea who to pick as a main, but know I don't want to use one of the "fireballing" characters. I've always wanted to play Balrog since SF2 (since I was convinced he was a terrible character ["he can't kick? LOL"]) and have been reading up on how to play him, but have been absolutely horrible at execution. I was able to finally complete his Stage 4 Normal Training combo thing, but only after about 40 minutes of beating my head against it. I just need to get the button press timing down and I think I'll be OK.

I'd offer to play some people online, but I'm downright horrible at this game right now. As in: I'm getting beat on story mode with difficulty set to easy (well, on the last 2 or so matches). Also, Seth is a megalopenis. Seriously, his AI after that first KO is driving me insane.

Anyone got any good tips on how to skill up? I've been thinking of just hitting training mode until I can reliably do those combos without thinking, or doing the "50 of X move left, 50 of X move right" until I don't have to actively think about them.

Owensboro said:
Welp, consider me in the game ladies and gents. I bought a TE stick last week and have been catching up on all the fighting goodness I've been missing since the SNES era. I still have no idea who to pick as a main, but know I don't want to use one of the "fireballing" characters. I've always wanted to play Balrog since SF2 (since I was convinced he was a terrible character ["he can't kick? LOL"]) and have been reading up on how to play him, but have been absolutely horrible at execution. I was able to finally complete his Stage 4 Normal Training combo thing, but only after about 40 minutes of beating my head against it. I just need to get the button press timing down and I think I'll be OK.

I'd offer to play some people online, but I'm downright horrible at this game right now. As in: I'm getting beat on story mode with difficulty set to easy (well, on the last 2 or so matches). Also, Seth is a megalopenis. Seriously, his AI after that first KO is driving me insane.

Anyone got any good tips on how to skill up? I've been thinking of just hitting training mode until I can reliably do those combos without thinking, or doing the "50 of X move left, 50 of X move right" until I don't have to actively think about them.

This and play people that's better than you. Unless you consistently get your shit pushed in on a regular basis, you'll never get better.

LakeEarth

The training combos, you just gotta get a feel for the engine to get some of those links. Keep trying all the characters, get some experience online (you'll lose but you'll get better faster), and do some reading on SRK forums or other good guides online.

Fuma-X

Well Owen:

1) Story Mode: always do the same move against Seth or the others (FP or DFP for example). AI will only react, even in easy mode, if you do combos or trying anything flashy (at your skill level)

2) Training: play player matches and find someone your level or better, watch MANY tournament videos on youtube or whatever (arcade infinity --> they comment matches so it's great for you to hear what went wrong or not), focus on 2 characters max, watch in-game replay videos from top players, keep in training mode the input command option (you see what you do right or wrong), read all the strategies on characters

LakeEarth

I disagree with sticking with two characters until he's at least got at least a bit of experience with most of the characters. Allows you to figure out exactly who you like best and gives you some insight in their strengths and weaknesses, which will help you when you face them online. Plus you'll find out exactly which characters you like.

I've dropped Dhalsim, Gouken, Rufus and Zangief before going with my Honda, Abel and sometimes Sakura combo. And even now I feel an urge to try Balrog some more.

Top Bottom