• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Caj814

kendantedmcbykhaledanta.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OK, now I NEED the PC version.

Mr Jared

The Dante skin is pretty good, but Ken is such a lame character. For my version, he'll forever be Prince Adam :lol

Now I just need something equally ridiculous for Akuma and Gouken and I'll be all set.

QCF Punch

Neo Member
WOW. That Ken mod is fuckin SICK. Very tempted to double dip now. I honestly never thought about someone doing a Dante mod for Ken, but looking back, I am actually surprised it took this long.

Mr Jared

Diablohead said:
how hard/easy is it to add these skin edits to the pc version? though I kind of don't like editing files when I play online games.

Very easy. All the character files are located within their own folders, so first, you back that up somewhere else. Then it's just a matter of copying and pasting the files you want to replace into the proper character folder and restarting the game.

There are content managers that can assist you with it as well by keeping track of all your extra costumes, but I think they over complicated what is already a very simple procedure.

LakeEarth

Capcom should find the best PC skins and pay $1000 to the creators to bring them to the console. They'd make tons of money, but they would probably need a patch or something to get them to work online.

Leunam

LakeEarth said:
Capcom should find the best PC skins and pay $1000 to the creators to bring them to the console. They'd make tons of money, but they would probably need a patch or something to get them to work online.

Nah, no patch needed. All the changes would be client side as they are now. The mods only replace colors, they don't add them.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Diablohead said:
PICTURES NOW!

edit: dah, beaten

Easily my favorite one so far, but the downside is every other Bison color loses it's hat. He looks pretty silly without it imo :lol

LakeEarth said:

I'm sure Capcom views it as an added bonus of the PC version. After all, why sell some user made costumes to people when they can get them to double dip instead?

LakeEarth

Leunam said:
Nah, no patch needed. All the changes would be client side as they are now. The mods only replace colors, they don't add them.
I mean for your opponent to see the mod too, he'll have to have a file. All current buyable alt costumes are already on the disk. But I do get that the mods are a "PC advantage" that they may want to keep on the PC.

MrMephistoX

Mr Jared said:
The Dante skin is pretty good, but Ken is such a lame character. For my version, he'll forever be Prince Adam :lol

Now I just need something equally ridiculous for Akuma and Gouken and I'll be all set.

I approve this message. That is classic...I really need to get a decent PC.

Owensboro

Wow. I'm freaking awful at this game. I tried some online play tonight after unlocking a few characters... 0-22. I think I may have won 3 rounds tops.

GriffD17

Owensboro said:
Wow. I'm freaking awful at this game. I tried some online play tonight after unlocking a few characters... 0-22. I think I may have won 3 rounds tops.

I think that's most people's experience who are new with the game. Sure as hell was the way with me. Just keep playing and playing.

Owensboro said:

Even for someone who has been playing SF for years or even over a decade, it takes a little while to adjust to SF4. My first 500 or so fights I had a win rate around 37 percent, now it's around 53. This is a one on one game, you don't have teammates to protect you like you would in a FPS. So you're going to take a beating for a while. But give it time and things will start clicking. I'd say chances are you'll win at least 1 of your next 22 games, maybe.

LakeEarth

Lots of boxers on tonight. Is it just me, or is Balrog's legs while airborne have an off hitbox? Twice today I swear I saw one of my limbs go right through them.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
SCORE: 9129
AVERAGE: 50.11FPS
CPU: AMD Turion(tm) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-82
Memory: 4092MB
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 Series
Video Memory: 1024MB
Display Setting: 1280x720 60Hz

(c)CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. 2008, 2009 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

new laptop. ^^

urge to join pc sf4 community... rising.
[if someone could explain what this games for windows shite is]

jabipun

_dementia said:
Right voice actor, too

LOL. Too true. Dante is probably one of the better skins for Ken simply because in DMC3, Dante had so many Street Fighter esque moves. He even had a fireball for fucks sake :lol

jabipun said:
LOL. Too true. Dante is probably one of the better skins for Ken simply because in DMC3, Dante had so many Street Fighter esque moves. He even had a fireball for fucks sake :lol

I remember DMC being rife with SF references. In DMC4 Dante's Kick 13 is literally Chun's SAII from 3S. DT Nero had Alex's Hyperbomb against the angel enemies, etc.

Pandaman said:

Basically Xbox Live for the PC. If you have an Xbox Live account or other Microsoft logins (like MSN/Hotmail), pretty sure you can just login with them, then your set.

Pandaman said:
urge to join pc sf4 community... rising.
It's just xbox live, install and play on live (but not cross playing with 360 users for SFIV)

ShinNL

Aljosa said:
I am now 100% convinced that God does not want me too get past Viper's 3rd Hard trial. :lol

:(
I wanted the Viper titles and icons so I cheated by putting the settings way higher than I should, so the game runs in slowmotion... xD

My excuse is that I'm using a keyboard :3

Owensboro

Rice-Eater said:
Even for someone who has been playing SF for years or even over a decade, it takes a little while to adjust to SF4. My first 500 or so fights I had a win rate around 37 percent, now it's around 53. This is a one on one game, you don't have teammates to protect you like you would in a FPS. So you're going to take a beating for a while. But give it time and things will start clicking. I'd say chances are you'll win at least 1 of your next 22 games, maybe.
Thanks for the kind words. I expected to lose a lot when I finally started playing this game, but I never expected to have so much trouble winning even one round. I think my main problems at this point are:

1) I'm addicted to special moves. I've decided to try maining Sakura and I find myself constantly just blocking and trying to do specials. I need to get it into my head that not only are there 6 attack buttons, but that they can chain together in good ways. I have no idea how to do this.
2) I can't do a throw for the life of me. I know the command for it I just can't judge the distance / don't know when a throw will actually connect.
3) I don't know how to punish anything, or even basic tactics to fight common moves. I must have fought 8 flowchart kens yesterday, and just couldn't react fast enough to do anything.

After my epic loss string I spent an hour in Challenge mode yesterday getting move links down trying to get some of them ingrained in muscle memory, but even with that I can't remember once in those loses where I actually got a (jump-in)heavy punch on an opponent (the opening to most of Sakura's combos).

I'm going to go watch a ton more videos I guess.

Zaptruder

Banned
Soneet said:
I wanted the Viper titles and icons so I cheated by putting the settings way higher than I should, so the game runs in slowmotion... xD

My excuse is that I'm using a keyboard :3

The irony been that it's actually easier to pull off motions on the keyboard.

ArjanN

Rice-Eater said:
In the original DMC, Dante can do a flaming dragon punch when equipped with Ifrit. Lets face it, Dante is a closet flowchart Ken.

Dante and Ken have the same voice actor as well.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Owensboro said:

just play more. and read SRK threads, guides, any tutorial videos you can find is also good but you have to be able to execute that as well, if you go the video route, at least watch a move, then reproduce it on the console right away while you pause the video.

also, maining sakura and not knowing SF is going to get you owned more often as well, she has the stamina of well, a tiny girl and isn't a very good character. Although some of her crazy combos/stuns are great it's high level people that make her look good.

Don't worry about sucking, I made it to 9k GP with blanka and thought I was hotshit and then switched to bison cold. it's back to the drawing board and got my winrate waaay down.

I only sit at around 55% or so winrate with a couple hundred hours played. it takes time :lol but it's rewarding. especially when you recognise you have similar skills to an opponent and then you win based on out-thinking them.

ShinNL

Owensboro said:
Thanks for the kind words. I expected to lose a lot when I finally started playing this game, but I never expected to have so much trouble winning even one round. I think my main problems at this point are:

1) I'm addicted to special moves. I've decided to try maining Sakura and I find myself constantly just blocking and trying to do specials. I need to get it into my head that not only are there 6 attack buttons, but that they can chain together in good ways. I have no idea how to do this.
2) I can't do a throw for the life of me. I know the command for it I just can't judge the distance / don't know when a throw will actually connect.
3) I don't know how to punish anything, or even basic tactics to fight common moves. I must have fought 8 flowchart kens yesterday, and just couldn't react fast enough to do anything.

After my epic loss string I spent an hour in Challenge mode yesterday getting move links down trying to get some of them ingrained in muscle memory, but even with that I can't remember once in those loses where I actually got a (jump-in)heavy punch on an opponent (the opening to most of Sakura's combos).

I believe a simple heavy shoryuken does a lot of damage with Sakura. Try using that first to punish (instead of thinking about combos). Simple Ken's only do the unexpected because they do panic attacks. You can test if it's a random SHOOORYUKEN guy by sweeping him (crouching HK), walk in front of his face and then block when the Ken wakes up (don't sit/duck before recovery because that's too obvious). Did the Ken do a shoryuken? If yes, HP -> Heavy Shoryuken.

If the Ken doesn't do anything or throws, then it's not a Flowchart Ken so that also means you can apply mind-games. Sakura has an overhead which combines really well with the charged fireball. Sweep (or anything that makes the opponent fall), charge fireball, overhead kick, *crouching MK, fireball, cancel to Focus Attack, release at 2nd charge, dash cancel forward, if hit: HP, heavy shoryuken, if not: throw or crouching LK spam x3, overhead, repeat from *

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Yeah, Viper's 3rd hard trial is brutal. Try practicing cancelling c.mp and c.fp and getting those down first if you can, 'cause that c.lp -> ultra is a 1-frame cancel and you've gotta do it perfect to get it to come out.

The good thing about Viper's 3rd hard trial is that her 4th and 5th ones are ridiculously easy in comparison.

LakeEarth

Maybe Sakura is a bad idea if you're just getting started. Her lack of reach and low health aren't a good mix for beginners, and most of her best combos involve links and I think you need to get settled with cancels before having to worry about that. If you know SFII, can I suggest Honda? His normals are very similar to the ones in SFII (which may encourage you to use them more), he dishes out big damage and can take a lot of hits. He's not the best character, but he's not too complicated (and his ultra sucks, so you don't have to worry about using it aside from specific punishes), and I think he's a good choice for SFII players trying to get back into it.

Top Bottom