• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

My PS3 recently got a YLOD(Yellow light of death) so I'll be out for a while. What's even worse is that SF4 is stuck in my PS3 so I can't even take it to a friends house to play it. That's right, G2 players will be safe from my wrath until my PS3 is either repaired or I get a new slim. Play safely, but know that I will return with my jab and cross up spams, and jumping MP.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
GalacticAE said:
:( why? Why aren't you playing Marve with me?

you beat me up.. ;(

for real tho PSN seems to lag/discconect way more than XBL does for me. Ive been playing on PSN for the past week or two as well and it seems hard to find a decent connection unless its in the bay area.. :\

Any pro tips to make it better? Im not on wirless, its direct ethernet connection...

MCD

Rice-Eater said:
My PS3 recently got a YLOD(Yellow light of death) so I'll be out for a while. What's even worse is that SF4 is stuck in my PS3 so I can't even take it to a friends house to play it. That's right, G2 players will be safe from my wrath until my PS3 is either repaired or I get a new slim. Play safely, but know that I will return with my jab and cross up spams, and jumping MP.

Force disk eject

Press and hold down the Eject button on the front of the PS3 for about 10 seconds to force the system’s drive to eject.

can't you do this?

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Completely unrelated to all conversation...and I'm not sure if Haunts was even thinking of this when he made the thread. One day I accidentally read the thread title wrong, interpreting it as a line from 'The Big Lebowski'

"This is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass Larry!" reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_cVJkuT1k0

Interpretation: "This is what happens when you FADC a stranger in the alps Larry!"

Thought it was funny

edit: omigod beaten, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCcKBcZzGdA I'm dying in laughter here...

MCD said:
can't you do this?

Nope, I've tried and tried to get SF4 out but my PS3 is like "har har get in my belly". Damn you Seth, damn you to hell. I think I'm going take a few days to decide exactly what I want to do. But man, going without SF4 for the next couple months or so is going to fucking suck.

I don't mind waiting years again for a new SF, but what would have been nice is some extra characters as DLC to pad out IV a little more, all this talk about the half finished deejay makes me want to see him in the SFIV style.

FindMyFarms said:
Fuuuuuu, that shit sux. Happened to me too. You got warranty?

Yes, I got a 2 year warranty with Best Buy.....which ended last April
19.gif

I told my stupid PS3, if you want to die then die now(last April). Then I could return it for a new model and get $100-$200 in money or credit, whatever Best Buy's policy is about that. But no, that mofo had to croak now when it doesn't benefit me whatsoever.

No SF4 and no firmware 3.0 update for me, NOOOOOO. I really wanted to see that LBP dynamic background on my own TV
17.gif

I really hope they don't add any 3s characters in the next iteration. I think they should stick to adding new characters only, we already have way too many repeats.

FightTest

Lost Fragment said:
So I've been thinking lately about coding a PHP web app that would automate online tournaments. Any interest in something like this?

It would work pretty easily for any online fighting game, not only SF4.

I actually started a project like this earlier this year when SFIV came out (still wasn't approved here back then), but then burned out and shelved it after churning out some team features for a TF2 tournament that ran aground.

But if you guys want to give it a shot the site is http://bluvsred.com, password to sign-up is wang. (May look bad as a junior member giving a plug but it's just a hobby site, no ads or forums or anything but a barebones tournament system intended for friends on message boards, PA in particular).

Works for single elim tournies w/up to 64 participants, create a tourney, give people the link to your tourney, once you get the number you want you can hand-seed or random seed, it creates the bracket for you, people can submit their results and, if the results agree and if the tourney admin allows, it will advance the bracket (or the admin can choose to verify results manually).

Basic idea of what it spits out: http://bluvsred.com/images/demopic.png

As stated I burned out on development back in April but feel free to use what's there if you want.

Stantron

LeMaximilian said:
Completely unrelated to all conversation...and I'm not sure if Haunts was even thinking of this when he made the thread. One day I accidentally read the thread title wrong, interpreting it as a line from 'The Big Lebowski'

"This is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass Larry!" reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_cVJkuT1k0

Interpretation: "This is what happens when you FADC a stranger in the alps Larry!"

Thought it was funny

edit: omigod beaten, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCcKBcZzGdA I'm dying in laughter here...
Duuuuuude. So that's what the thread title is in reference to. :lol

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
bdizzle said:
Man are people purposely lagging during the final match or something? Yellow bars then as soon as I win the 1st round here comes the lag
ggs last night...i think i caught the sf4 bug again

LakeEarth

Lost Fragment said:
Which version of 3rd Strike is best?
Anything but the DC version, which isn't bad, but its differences to the arcade version are actually significant (like no unblockables IIRC). The Xbox and PS2 versions are basically the same, with slight timing differences only super-duper professionals would notice. Xbox version has online, but it's pretty dead right now.

LakeEarth said:
Anything but the DC version, which isn't bad, but its differences to the arcade version are actually significant (like no unblockables IIRC). The Xbox and PS2 versions are basically the same, with slight timing differences only super-duper professionals would notice. Xbox version has online, but it's pretty dead right now.
I also hear the DC version also has significant (~7 frame) input lag too, so parry timing is a real issue.
As far as the removed unblockables, etc.; wasn't the DC version based on a newer arcade revision? (i.e. DC is 3S "version B" while PS2/Xbox is the original 3S "version A").

I miss that game. PSN/XBLA pls.

_dementia said:
I also hear the DC version also has significant (~7 frame) input lag too, so parry timing is a real issue.
As far as the removed unblockables, etc.; wasn't the DC version based on a newer arcade revision? (i.e. DC is 3S "version B" while PS2/Xbox is the original 3S "version A").

Yes. It's version B without a way to change to version A.

Version B screwed with things that weren't a problem in the first place, like Urien/Oro unblockables.

Too bad we never got a version C, one that tackled the real problems of the game (Chun Li, Yun, Ken nerfs).

That comment about 66% of Capcom against continuing SF4... I'm pretty sure he was talking about in the past. I mean, clearly the sales were very good, and it had the benefit of an arcade release as well. 66% of Capcom probably were against it, years back, hence why we didn't see a game for ten years. I mean, lets face it, 3 bombed in arcades and bombed even harder at home. That's pretty tough to swallow given how much work was put into 3 (still the pinnacle of 2d animation).

I'm pretty sure he confirmed games going forward due to SF4 success.

HiResDes

ShinAmano said:
IMO SF3 was probably the most balanced of all SF's given that so many characters were in same tier or showed neglible tier differences. Oro,Makoto,Dudley,Alex,Yang, or Yun would be great additions IMO.

"IMO SF3 was probably the most balanced of all SF's given that so many characters were in same tier or showed neglible tier differences. Oro,Makoto,Dudley,Alex,Yang, or Yun would be great additions IMO."

Whooaaaaaaa buddy.

HiResDes said:
IMO SF3 was probably the most balanced of all SF's given that so many characters were in same tier or showed neglible tier differences. Oro,Makoto,Dudley,Alex,Yang, or Yun would be great additions IMO.
I think SFIV is more balanced than 3S.

There are no 8:2 matchups in IV, unlike 3S.
I mean, fuck. Tell a Twelve player to kill Chun. :(

ShinAmano

HiResDes said:
Three of my favorites, but I would also love to see Ibuki, Elena and Hugo.

HiResDes

ShinAmano said:
Three of my favorites, but I would also love to see Ibuki, Elena and Hugo.
Elena annoys me to death, I like her style but her damage output seems ridiculous to me, and they'd have to update the shit out of her animation which looked considerably worse than the other character models in SF3 IMO.

Steaks

_dementia said:

7 frames of input delay would simply be so noticable, that there's no way it would get past playtesting/reviewers. It's closer to 2-3 frames of delay. There's no unblockables, as well (what they 'fixed' in Version B, along with I think the Ken throw vs Makoto freeze glitch and the Yang super art name glitch).

The PS2 version suffers from minor speed up.

Also Ken isn't really imbalanced, Yun and Chun are pretty bad though.

The arcade version of 3s is best, if you can you know, play it.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
HiResDes said:
Elena annoys me to death, I like her style but her damage output seems ridiculous to me, and they'd have to update the shit out of her animation which looked considerably worse than the other character models in SF3 IMO.

...i dont understand this post

Cynar

What are the chances of a Canadian fighter in the next game?
-Ono asks what makes a Canadian character? crowds responds with hockey
-if we were to put in a hockey player they'd have a weapon (stick) so probably more suited for Soul Calibur
-will consider a Canadian fighter and if one does make it he'll incorporate maple syrup and smoked salmon

wtf, they could just make a generic fighter and say he's from Canada. It's not hard. Doesn't always need to be a stereotype. :lol

Decided to tackle the challenge modes finally, I completed all the normal trials...onto the hard trials. I did Ryu's hard trials and had fun with it and I'm looking forward to the rest.

I fear Crimson Viper hard trials (here normals were a pain). :-(

hitsugi

well.. G1 has gotten somewhat better. Still a lot of Ryu, but none that are beating me if I remember them and mirror match >.> running into a good amount of turbo-rogs and chuns to keep things interesting. One thing I find pretty amazing are the new (?) turtle Ryus. Very strange style of play D:

I'm starting to wonder why I quit Rufus for Viper and Akuma, though.. that's feeling like a mistake. They're both more fun (for me) than Rufus, but I feel like I have to put in so much effort every game and if one little thing doesn't go through correctly (I miss a feint / get ex TK / don't get SJ FADC; break a roundhouse loop) I just lost the match.

Where is my WC competition, GAF?! Besides 30 mins away from me at Family Fun :lol .. which is garbage 99% of the time. Most days, I don't have an hour to spare each way to get to Denjin / AI.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
hitsugi said:
well.. G1 has gotten somewhat better. Still a lot of Ryu, but none that are beating me if I remember them and mirror match >.> running into a good amount of turbo-rogs and chuns to keep things interesting. One thing I find pretty amazing are the new (?) turtle Ryus. Very strange style of play D:

I'm starting to wonder why I quit Rufus for Viper and Akuma, though.. that's feeling like a mistake. They're both more fun (for me) than Rufus, but I feel like I have to put in so much effort every game and if one little thing doesn't go through correctly (I miss a feint / get ex TK / don't get SJ FADC; break a roundhouse loop) I just lost the match.

Where is my WC competition, GAF?! Besides 30 mins away from me at Family Fun :lol .. which is garbage 99% of the time. Most days, I don't have an hour to spare each way to get to Denjin / AI.

You still sticking with Akuma? And give your internet connection some RedBull!

Some new uploads, 720p direct capture.
Ken vs Ken can get craaazaaay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zteuVRuEWgE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjn7kSPwh7U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbabrvLP9DA

Top Bottom