• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

yeb

Since I couldn't read the stream chat or anything, the past few pages of this thread have been the closest I've gotten to reading the live online reaction to my tourney run. Thanks for rooting for me everyone. :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
UC1 said:
Yes stop throwing with Sim. You should utilise his vast amounts of combos and block strings.
Perfect :lol

Cowie

I've never really understood where the 'throwing is cheap' crowd is coming from

I mean, people who complain about runaway fireballs or spamming high priority moves I can at least see some motivation behind, I can understand the frustration on some level

But throws always seemed to make perfect sense to me. I can't remember a time when I thought they were unfair or unbalanced. what gives?

SoulFist

So what exactly is this Akuma loop? Is it just Standing HK into LP into another HK? Does it work only on Sagat?

I've been playing Ryu since the start, but Akuma's insane mobility and combos have got me trying to learn him.

yeb said:
Since I couldn't read the stream chat or anything, the past few pages of this thread have been the closest I've gotten to reading the live online reaction to my tourney run. Thanks for rooting for me everyone. :D
Grats again Yeb :)

-PXG-

SnowWolf said:
Do you have PeerGuardian installed by any chance? I run into that problem when that program is running. I don't know if firewalls have any conflict with SF4 but maybe try turning it off.

No? I had no problems finding matches in Killzone 2. Once my roommate comes back, I will test out the 360. I really hope it doesn't have anything to do with my school's network. It was enough a hassle to get them on the network to begin with.

Daigoro

yeb said:

yeah, you we're awesome last night yeb. good work!

Mar

Relix said:
Throw means no skill now? Awesome.

Welcome to 1991. People have used that bullshit line since the original Street Fighter 2 in the arcades.

Personally, I just throw them more to rub it in their faces.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
haunts said:
Thats true... and it's really all in the application, not the knowledge.. That is one thing I realized while in Japan is they will take strategies and techniques and apply them properly. It's not that the US dosent know about these combos and whatever else, its just few take the time to learn how to apply them.

Take Kara Tiger Shots for instance. A lot of people know how to do the move but most have no idea how to apply it. There is a big difference there and that is really the gap between US gameplay and Japanese. Once we take techniques that may seem impractical and find a place for them then we may be able to compete on a similar level.

It is also the mentality of western players that is the problem. It's the "it's too hard to do in a real match" or "that's impractical to do in a real match" that really stunts the growth of a lot of players outside of Japan.

Like I told haunts just after he left Japan, the two best pieces of advice I got for fighting games was from a VF friend, who said "don't rush yourself, be patient", and "be prepared to use everything"

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
yeb said:
Nice work! your matches were very exciting!

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
Yeah, I just found out that if you manually launch the .exe it complains about a missing DLL because I didn't have Live. Ugh, you'd think the Steam installer would handle/check for that...installing manually now...

*edit* Yeah, that fixed it.

Weird, the first time I ran SF4 it ran a DirectX and Windows Live check/update. Anyway, what's your gamertag? We would have some good match-ups, I think. (ps. having the Steam and GFW overlays both going at the same time in-game is really odd)

yeb said:

Good stuff Yeb, I might have to travel down to El Cajon one night after work to check out the Box Arena.

San Diego represent!!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
yeb said:
You made a name for yourself yesterday, man. Everyone in Stream Chat was going nuts for you, as well as on certain IRC channels.

FindMyFarms said:
??? People in Tx(and I'm sure EC as well, since they're ahead of the curve) have been doing that loop for months. No way is it new. And I guarantee you would have seen Sanford, Shady, Ed Ma, etc. do that loop too if they ever ran into Sagats, they just never ran into any in Evo (or Ed Ma in WCWZ

I'm not saying that no one knows the actual combo, or is not able to do it. I'm pretty sure a ton of people are able to do it in training mode with a dummy. Actually applying the combo during battle would be what I'm talking about, Haunts was saying nearly everyone he played knew the combo and applied it correctly. What I'm saying the amount of players in the US that can apply it during battle is much lower than the average player in JP. I haven't seen that loop in any major (or local for that matter) tourney in the US, if it was done in a major tourney you would see a big influx of "counter picking" sagat by trying to do the loop and failing miserably.

LakeEarth said:
Yes Yeb, you and your Gen successfully cross-upped the web.

I like the fact he's one of the few Gens that doesn't fall into that flowchart category, he crossed up super sparingly. Great tourney run Yeb, my hope is more people take console characters more seriously.

Jirotrom said:
Hey... who is a good counter character against balrog?
Didn't you get the memo? Sagat counter picks everyone, when in doubt TIGER SHOT.

Jirotrom

jam86 said:
I'm not saying that no one knows the actual combo, or is not able to do it. I'm pretty sure a ton of people are able to do it in training mode with a dummy. Actually applying the combo during battle would be what I'm talking about, Haunts was saying nearly everyone he played knew the combo and applied it correctly. What I'm saying the amount of players in the US that can apply it during battle is much lower than the average player in JP. I haven't seen that loop in any major (or local for that matter) tourney in the US, if it was done in a major tourney you would see a big influx of "counter picking" sagat by trying to do the loop and failing miserably.

I like the fact he's one of the few Gens that doesn't fall into that flowchart category, he crossed up super sparingly. Great tourney run Yeb, my hope is more people take console characters more seriously.

Didn't you get the memo? Sagat counter picks everyone, when in doubt TIGER SHOT.
haha... i dont want to come off as cheap

yeb said:

You didn't have to come online to see the positive reaction to your run. The room was erupting in excitement over every match you had. This forum exploded (as I'm sure SRK). You did really well. You were on the cusp of getting it all. Honestly, as much as I liked the usual suspects, you, UTJ and the other Dhalsim were the most interesting players. You guys could've taken the Akuma, Rufus or Ryu shortcut but have instead plied your trade in becoming experts at lesser picked characters.

I guess it's time to go back to the lab eh? What do you think was your main issue in the Ed Ma match?

Blizzard

Banned
This game appeals to the OCD engineer in me since I can try to learn these crazy button things. I think it's fun for $20 even though I never played fighting games (besides smash brothers lol not real fightan gamez etc.).

I'm having an awful time (keyboard or 360 controller) doing some of the combos though. And some of the symbols I don't understand at all, and I'm not sure where to look on the internet for answers. :lol What does it mean for Bison where it says to charge (hold) left and right at the same time?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Blizzard said:
I'm having an awful time (keyboard or 360 controller) doing some of the combos though. And some of the symbols I don't understand at all, and I'm not sure where to look on the internet for answers. :lol What does it mean for Bison where it says to charge (hold) left and right at the same time?
I think you mean:

Charge Back, then Foward, then Back, then Forward with Kick/Kicks

I played a few games before I went running at 7. I'm just going to throw this out there. If you want to play people in this thread in a player match, and you're trying to learn or get better, why not play a best of 10 or 20?

Anytime I've played Find, Mox, etc, I've always tried to play at least 10 matches. Find usually kicks my butt 60 percent (or more depending on the character) but he's willing to give advice and push you to play better.

So basically what I'm saying is take your lumps. You'll get better by grinding. Arturo Sanchez is in Japan right now getting his butt kicked by the Japanese players. But if you noticed, as time has gone on, he's gotten a lot better and is learning a lot of the tactics, etc. He placed third at a TRF and won a tournament. So obviously, this mentality works.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's pretty much the same whether you're trying to get good with a stick, getting good in general, or learning any other skill in life: Shame only holds you back. Time spent not practicing for fear of looking bad is time wasted.

Blizzard

Banned
Hitokage said:
I think you mean:

Charge Back, then Foward, then Back, then Forward with Kick/Kicks
But what does this mean? If I hold back he walks backwards, and forward he walks forwards. Is there a way to charge those buttons (and for how long) without moving?

Blizzard said:
But what does this mean? If I hold back he walks backwards, and forward he walks forwards. Is there a way to charge those buttons (and for how long) without moving?

you don't hold forward. you charge back for two seconds then press fwd back fwd then punch

<-- (2 seconds) --> <-- -->+p

Hitokage said:
It's pretty much the same whether you're trying to get good with a stick, getting good in general, or learning any other skill in life: Shame only holds you back. Time spent not practicing for fear of looking bad is time wasted.

Hey, I'm using a Hori EX2 (cuz I'm waiting for my dual-mod TE to come back). So I totally understand the learning curve. I still struggle with a few motions.

But I only said what I did because SFIV is a pretty serious game and requires a lot of dedication. It's not really a pick up and play game. And though the traffic for the game has declined, it's a game that keeps giving back. I've definitely gotten back the money I've put into it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Spiderjericho: Not sure how to read your reply, but just to be clear I was concurring with your post.

Blizzard said:
If you just hold back, then yes, he'll walk backwards, then you hit (don't hold) forward, back, forward in rapid succession. If you want to charge while remaining stationary, hold down-back, which puts you in low block, then press forward or fordward, back, forward depending on the move.

Actually, the trick to charging in fighting games is that it doesn't matter what you do as long as you hold the appropriate direction for the appropriate time, and diagonals count as both directions. You can charge while performing another move or action and you can charge while pressing other buttons.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the help, I just realized myself that I could do psycho crusher charge by holding down-back and then forward+p. I don't think I ever figured out how to do the ultra or super for M. Bison, though.

How noob friendly is this game? I love the art style, but i'm not really into fighting games and dont think I can memorize strings of attacks and lots of combos/buttons... I'm thinking of buying it mostly for the local multiplayer when a couple friends are over. Reading the last page makes me think there is a lot of SF4 'jargon' i'll need to learn... strings, grabs, throws, loops, c.mk, c.lk etc etc.

Seriously thinking of getting this and Saints Row 2 and take advantage of the Best Buy deal.

Blizzard

Banned
iamcool388 said:
How noob friendly is this game? I love the art style, but i'm not really into fighting games and dont think I can memorize strings of attacks and lots of combos/buttons... I'm thinking of buying it mostly for the local multiplayer when a couple friends are over. Reading the last page makes me think there is a lot of SF4 'jargon' i'll need to learn... strings, grabs, throws, loops, c.mk, c.lk etc etc.

Seriously thinking of getting this and Saints Row 2 and take advantage of the Best Buy deal.
Speaking as a total noob to fighting games in general, not very. There's a challenge mode that lets you practice doing combos and learning their names, but it doesn't really tell you how to do them, and in general if you just let people play it it'll probably end up being very button mash-y, or else you'll end up finding one or two moves that work (PC THROW BUTTON!!!!!) and use them over and over until your opponent blocks you. Note that I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that it's not a sort of "hey guys let's sit down and fight" game if they have no experience.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
You can win without the need for huge combos. To figure out how to do a move look in the manual or in game in the command list.

You also have a ton of tutorials on youtube explaining the how the game works, and even character specific walk throughs.

I ever figured out how to do the ultra or super for M. Bison, though.

Hold back for a second than press forward back forward and simply one kick button for super and all three kick buttons for ultra.

iamcool388 said:

It all depends on the competition, if none of you guys know how to play the game at all it can be very fun. Learning the game together is very helpful, if you hop online however don't expect to win any game unless you know most basics of the character with at least one combo.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
One thing that definitely helps is that even though there are 25 characters in the game, there is a limited number of motions that are common throughout the roster.

Quarter Circle: down, down-forward, forward (down, down-back, back)
DP Motion: forward, down, down-forward (back, down, down-back)
Half Circle: back, down-back, down, down-forward, forward (forward, down-forward, down, down-back, back)
Horizontal Charge: charge back, forward
Vertical Charge: charge down, up
Double Quarter Circle: down, down-forward, forward, down, down-forward, forward (down, down-back, back, down, down-back, back)
Charge Super: charge back, forward, back, forward

Nearly all special moves that go beyond holding one direction use these motions, with only a small number of oddball variations or exceptions. Once you get good at doing them, it's just a matter of putting them together in a decent gameplan.

This as opposed to a game like Virtua Fighter where each character has completely different movesets, all of which are rather large too.

Hitokage said:
Spiderjericho: Not sure how to read your reply, but just to be clear I was concurring with your post.

I'm just speaking out loud for the those who are getting into the game thanks to the Steam sale.

Yeah, this is definitely a crawl before you walk game. Learn how to block. Understand the principles of the six buttons. Learn the special moves. Save the combos for later. The challenge mode is just combos for intermediate to expert players.

And as Hit is saying, learn the common special move motions. It might be easy to start out playing with Guile, Chun-Li, Zangief or Ryu. Most of the motions in the game are incorporated in those characters.

Daigoro

i just bought the game over the weekend as well, havent had a chance to play it yet.

my one concern (besides sucking at 2d fighters) is having to get used to 6 buttons. im so used to 3-4 button fighters. :lol

its going to be rough. i havent really played any SF games in a very long time, and i was never good at them. im going to start working at it though.

Oreoleo

Daigoro said:
i just bought the game over the weekend as well, havent had a chance to play it yet.

my one concern (besides sucking at 2d fighters) is having to get used to 6 buttons. im so used to 3-4 button fighters. :lol

its going to be rough. i havent really played any SF games in a very long time, and i was never good at them. im going to start working at it though.

You know I thought 6 buttons was going to be overwhelming but it really isn't. All the inputs for moves and combos feel very logical. Even if I'm not able to pull off a move, I don't really have to think about HOW to do it, with rare exceptions of course. Charging gave me the biggest issues but I think that was just a matter of deciphering what the in-game icons meant.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
2usg95e.jpg

16h5bvp.jpg

All our rage messages sound so alike lol

Daigoro

Orellio said:
You know I thought 6 buttons was going to be overwhelming but it really isn't. All the inputs for moves and combos feel very logical. Even if I'm not able to pull off a move, I don't really have to think about HOW to do it, with rare exceptions of course. Charging gave me the biggest issues but I think that was just a matter of deciphering what the in-game icons meant.

yeah, with some practice hopefully it will be ok.

i have you on my steam list right? but to hook up with friends on this game do we need to use our LIVE id's? i assume i can use the same one i use on my 360? ill get this figure out.

looking forward to playing when i get home this morning.

SnowWolf said:
All our rage messages sound so alike lol

that shit is so ridiculous. :lol

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
I just picked up a 360/this game today and it's a blast so far. Finished unlocking Akuma a couple minutes ago and put it down for the night.

I spent 2 hours or so on Saturday with a friend and his PS3, he ran me through the basics of the game. Believe it or not, I'm 21 and that was the FIRST I had ever played Street Fighter, since I mostly play shooters. Anyway, that got me hooked, and here I am now.

Hopefully in a week or so I can hang out with you guys and not look like a total fool.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Procarbine said:
Hopefully in a week or so I can hang out with you guys and not look like a total fool.
As long as you're trying to improve instead of making excuses you won't look like a fool at all.

Oreoleo

Daigoro said:
i have you on my steam list right? but to hook up with friends on this game do we need to use our LIVE id's? i assume i can use the same one i use on my 360?

Yes, yes, and yes. :D

My gamertag is Orellio if you want to add me there as well.

Aedile

jam86 said:
if you hop online however don't expect to win any game unless you know most basics of the character with at least one combo.

That's best practices, but hell. You can get to G1 without knowing one combo. It's the seductive will-to-improvement-sapping nature of online play.

Top Bottom