• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

LakeEarth

BitchTits said:
The disparity of Gen's combos with regards to different characters is increasingly annoying.

I will often miss the 3rd part of Gens j.MK crossup into cr.LK -> whatever combo depending on opponent. For example - Jump MK, cr.LK, cr.MP often misses Cammy and Viper. Earlier I had a PPP Super as the third part of this combo miss a Viper and it was certainly timed well enough to hit most other opponents.

Also cr.MK into Gekiro will miss Cammy and Viper, and I usually only dare use it after a crossup on large characters like Zangief and Sagat for fear of it wiffing.

I'd hope this was one thing they fixed in any revision release or patch.
Another move with weird hitboxes is Abel's d.FP. It almost never launches El Fuerte from the ground. Doesn't matter how close you are to him, the second hit doesn't connect, which completely screws your ultra-landing capability. The only time the launcher works is during his crumple animation (but you can just land the ultra then anyways).

EDIT : Damn, lost the "mention Abel's dFP first" battle.

-PXG-

It's my school's fucking connection. Bandwith for gaming is fucking terrible. God I am pissed. I really hope this doesn't effect Xbox Live too. I REALLY want to play SFIV online ;____;

-PXG-

abstract alien said:

I'm tired of playing against the CPU. I just beasted Dhalsim on Very Hard (Perfect first round, only hit me twice second round). I want to play against people so bad!!!! AAAGGGHHHH!!! I've gotten so much better at this game, yet, I feel like I've plateaued. I must get even better.

EDIT

And for future reference, I play Bison, Blarog and a little Vega. I'm starting to like charge characters. I might try out Chun Li. For some reason, I always play as the villains in video games :lol Fuck Sagat and his top tier bullshit.

-PXG- said:
I'm tired of playing against the CPU. I just beasted Dhalsim on Very Hard (Perfect first round, only hit me twice second round). I want to play against people so bad!!!! AAAGGGHHHH!!! I've gotten so much better at this game, yet, I feel like I've plateaued. I must get even better.

EDIT

And for future reference, I play Bison, Blarog and a little Vega. I'm starting to like charge characters. I might try out Chun Li. For some reason, I always play as the villains in video games :lol Fuck Sagat and his top tier bullshit.
I love charge characters. Im trying get a grip on Rufus at the moment though, just because of his oddball-ness. I love odd characters too :^)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Mr Jared said:
Evil snipper

I posted that to gain confidence and get more people to use Chun. Don't sacare them =P. The matchup is horrendous if you don't know your way around. I haven't played elite-level Balrogs of course, but with time I learned my way around them with Chun. FA baits,etc. Blocked headbutt and close to corner? You can do EX Kicks to Ultra.

It's a hard matchup, probably one of her worst aside from Rufus. Need to be on top of your game to beat a good Balrog with Chun :lol For initial levels though, the tips I gave come quite fine.

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
Timedog said:
No one techs throw on reaction. It's not possible.
Well, i don't think it's impossible. If people can hit-confirm combos from a one-hit attack then teching throws on reaction is possible too.

The problem is that you have to be too focused to do it, which means you lose track of a hundred other things necessary for your survival - most importantly your opponent's overall strategy, which would help you predict throws instead.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Timedog said:
No one techs throw on reaction. It's not possible.
Really now :O?

I feel like DSP. I miss SRKs cuz of my execution on the stick (I blame the stick).

I played a lil G3 tonight. I ran into a decent Rose.

I decided to try my hand at player. The first bloke I ran into kicked me after I R'Kelly'd him in the first game. He probably didn't know how to play, so I scared him (which I didn't want to). The second guy was a one bar connection. Ugh. It was impossible to play. If I did anything, I always got hit. His skill didn't seem all that high. I was getting hit by random things. He ended up getting a four-win streak on me. I then switched to charge characters. Boxer, Dictator, Guile and a lil Ken. I just spammed high priority moves over and over (Guile's foot sweep, Ken's forward medium kick, Boxer's dash or low roundhouse, etc). I was ashamed but I managed to even out the Lag Fighter Bowl.

I must say. The game isn't really a graphic intensive game, as I'm able to play at 1920X1200 at maximum settings (self shadow, detail, 4XAA, etc). It would be cool if they came out with background mods, but that would obviously be difficult.

Daigoro

started playing for the first time today, did a few tutorials and played arcade for a bit.

i started playing with Viper. maybe not the best choice from what ive read, but she seemed cool.

its hard! but a lot of fun. still getting used to having 6 buttons to use. :lol this is going to take lots of practice. i was getting man handled by Abel in Arcade mode. he throws too much! he needs to learn some skill. :p

Spiderjericho said:
I must say. The game isn't really a graphic intensive game, as I'm able to play at 1920X1200 at maximum settings (self shadow, detail, 4XAA, etc). It would be cool if they came out with background mods, but that would obviously be difficult.

is A the highest you can get in the benchmark?

the weird thing is that i can max every setting out including v-sync and get an A, but when i put on any AA it cripples the framerate.

dunno why that is.

Mr Jared

Relix said:
Blocked headbutt and close to corner? You can do EX Kicks to Ultra.

Oh, I forgot all about that in my demoralizing summary of Chun v Balrog :lol

Actually, you can't EX Legs > Ultra against Rog. He's one of the many characters that drops before the connecting blow. The only time it actually works is, like the other characters that drop, at maximum distance.

Maximum distance being, you're actually a few steps away from half-screen, and you don't think it's going to work, in fact, you know it's not going to work, but god damnit, you need to get SOME kind of offense in this match so here goes-- OH MY GOD IT WORKED WHAT SCRUB STATUS FOR REAL OH YOU SO LUCKY DAWG. Crap, now I don't have Ultra. How am I supposed to stop him now :(

I don't help, I know :(

ggs to Ysiadmihi

Played you on PC with a plethora of characters.

Your Cammy isn't bad but you tend to wake up spike a lot.. Also you do a ton of empty cannon drills and it gets you killed since they are so unsafe on block (Hence why I threw you each time).

You gotta hit confirm like when I played Cammy.. I jumped in with HK then cr. MK then drilled.

I was extremely proud of my Sakura on your Rog though :D

I FA'd you and got my tatsu combo then I mixed it up and got you into another tatsu combo which lead to an instant stun on all characters pretty much. That felt oh so good :p

Ysiadmihi

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
ggs to Ysiadmihi

Played you on PC with a plethora of characters.

Your Cammy isn't bad but you tend to wake up spike a lot.. Also you do a ton of empty cannon drills and it gets you killed since they are so unsafe on block (Hence why I threw you each time).

You gotta hit confirm like when I played Cammy.. I jumped in with HK then cr. MK then drilled.

I was extremely proud of my Sakura on your Rog though :D

I FA'd you and got my tatsu combo then I mixed it up and got you into another tatsu combo which lead to an instant stun on all characters pretty much. That felt oh so good :p

Yes GGs :D

See, the problem is, I know where I'm messing up with Cammy, but I still can't perform even the easiest combos for the life of me so I have nothing else to fall back on and end up doing things I know are going to end up getting punished.

Also, I've been using a stick for like a month now but I'm still not used to it so the majority of my ultra attempts end up as EX Cannon Spikes. I'm starting to think fighters just aren't for me :lol

Jenga

Banned
LakeEarth said:
Another move with weird hitboxes is Abel's d.FP. It almost never launches El Fuerte from the ground. Doesn't matter how close you are to him, the second hit doesn't connect, which completely screws your ultra-landing capability. The only time the launcher works is during his crumple animation (but you can just land the ultra then anyways).

EDIT : Damn, lost the "mention Abel's dFP first" battle.
I heard Abel's cr.FP doesn't launch Ryu/Sagat if they're hit with it while they're crouching. Is this true?

Rotanibor

Good games earlier today, AZ Greg. Haven't played a Vega as good as yours before, it was a nice learning experience. Took a while for me to get used to that kick into tick throw. :lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Seiken said:
Really now :O?
You have 166 milliseconds to tech a throw. When u add in the throw animation it'd probably be at least half that time to even recognize that it's a throw. Giving u 83 milliseconds to tech it, and that's being generous. No human on earth has that reaction time.

I just got in a drunk xbl shit talkfest with some dude that complained about my playstyle. Then we went to player and he fucking destroyed me! I'm hella wasted though so I think we'll play again tomorrow. I was talking mad shit about how I play top players in arcades all the time and how I'm the best in Washington. Shit was hardbody as fuck. Then I can't even pull off fireballs and just get fucking wasted with multiple characters. I swear I practice with a stick like 2+ hours a day and I still can't fadc into ultra more than 25%of the time. I did like 3 straight hours of training mode today along with matches on top of that and still suck dick. I don't think I'll be good on stick until about next evo. If I entered a gaf tourney right now I'd go 2 and out easily. I'm really really started to regret convincing my gf to buy me this te stick.

TimeKillr

TurtleSnatcher said:
I think thats true for Ryu.

It's true for all the shotos.

Typically the problem is that the first hit of d.FP stands the other player up. In a LOT of cases, if the other player is crouching, their hitbox while rising is too far behind them for the 2nd hit to actually hit.

SF4 has a ton of inconsistent hitboxes like that. Dhalsim, for example, can't be hit by Cammy's s.FP when he's crumpling (SpectreRT4 hates that lol). There's no reason why it can't work aside from wacky hitboxes.

In other news, check my youtube channel! I'm uploading this week's tourney vids as we speak (I only have the qualifiers in my queue right now but it's better than nothing!)

This week we have incredibly good players in the running, including Chi-Rithy, PsychoKid and Person7. Chi-Rithy has an incredible Chun Li, but uses boxer for most of the tournament, except for the grand finals where he reverts back to Chun and amazes everybody there with freaking reaction hazanshous.

I did pretty good this week - I got to losers semis by beating 3 very good players, so I'm happy with my performance.

TimeKillr

_dementia said:
TimeKillr, may I have the link again? I'd definitely subscribe.

I need to play competitively in the local scene again. Damn work/school.

www.youtube.com/timekillr

Enjoy :)

I can't wait till my Abel vs PsychoKid's Akuma are uploaded. Not only did I manage to beat him but I got a c.FP AA -> CoD -> Ultra on him. It's really sweet :)

Lourio

abstract alien said:
Anyone want a practice dummy, Im down. Hopefully my Rufus can win at least one round :^/

psn: xenoetry

Abstract, I'll add you later tonight when I'm home. I stink as well, we should make for some good matches :lol

My PSN: Lourio

fyi, I'm in the east

LosDaddie

Banned
Patrick Roy said:
Abstract, I'll add you later tonight when I'm home. I stink as well, we should make for some good matches :lol

My PSN: Lourio

fyi, I'm in the east

I'll add both of you. I'm horrible by GAF standards. I main Akuma

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
_dementia said:
I saw this in the SRK skin thread
http://sf4mods.pbworks.com/

I went to town on that site a few weeks ago, but I got confused when I downloaded Balrog skins, only to find the folder in the .rar say BIS, which is in reference to the JP version. Haven't touched it since.

Also, how do you know which color is the skin in question. Some are '2' some are '4'. Is there a way to fix that so that they all are the same number?

Excuse me for being a Ken nub but WOW I had no idea you could kara his air tatsu. (qcb k~kk) Tinkered around with it in Training room and it lifts you half a stage away (not screen, but stage!) Ken flys so much haha.

_dementia said:
I saw this in the SRK skin thread
http://sf4mods.pbworks.com/

holy shit @ this one
subzerofinal.jpg

EDIT: Damn some of these are fuckin incredible

Daigoro said:
is A the highest you can get in the benchmark?

the weird thing is that i can max every setting out including v-sync and get an A, but when i put on any AA it cripples the framerate.

dunno why that is.

I think I got S when I ran the benchmark (depending on my settings). I'm using a 4890 to power SF (which is the only game I play).

And Find what mushrooms are we on today? So do a hurricane kick then press two kicks?

And SRK was down when I sat checked.

I'd like to use the SFIV mods but too much tinkering and file replacments (and storing a backup of the original files elsewhere).

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
TimeKillr said:
What the hell would that do?

Kara KK from qcb+K? How the hell is that even a kara?

LoL, my thoughts exactly... Either Kara took on a whole new meaning or he has no idea what kara means.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Ken's kara ex air hurricane kick can launch him from one side the screen to the exact opposite every quickly. It's a great GTFO move if you're stuck in the corner.

The command for getting it to work is, jump-up forward, QCB-Roundhouse~Forward. After the QCB RH, keep your finger on RH then press Forward. The time in between pressing the forward and the roundhouse is about a quarter of a second. To get the extra distance at the end of the move, it's got to be done at the peak of a jump arch.

Leunam

MrMephistoX said:
Feel free to add me...I can't resist the awkward feelings I'll have knowing you're using my former HRAP3. ;)

PSN MrMephistoX

:lol

Small note, I had to fix the jab button. Pins must have some loose in shipping, but everything works nicely.

I've bought 3 different controllers just to play SF4, and one of them is for a system I don't even own :lol

So heres my assessment of the controllers I've used

Dual Shock 3: Easily the controller I'm most comfortable with. I can do all the easy combos and even FADC into Ultra with Ryu, but struggle on the left side. But the drawback is this thing grinds the hell out of my thumb and the button placement forces me to eliminate the extra buttons because I'm not good enough to make use of the left shoulder buttons during a actual match.

USB Saturn Pad: Good D-pad, but I find myself jumping unintentionally a lot. I'm also not thrilled about the size difference of the buttons. It screws me up a lot when doing simple combos. One thing I can say is that I can go from crouching attacks to SRK more easily on this thing then all the other controllers like c. LK, c. LP, SRK.

Hori Fighting Stick 3: It's a stick and I'm still terrible with it, yeah that's pretty much it.

Mad Catz Fight Pad: I actually bought this to play on my cousins 360. It was a Ryu pad and I'm a Ryu player so I couldn't help it LOL. I like the button placement and the feel of the controller although it does get more uncomfortable over time. Doing SRK>FADC>Ultra is a piece of cake on this thing, on the left and right side. But the diagonals on this thing are terrible, it's not that simple to jump forward or backwards.

My personal rankings

1. Dual Shock 3
2. Mad Catz pad(slightly)
3. Saturn pad
Not Ranked: Fight stick(because I'm flat out terrible with it)

And for anyone that has the PC version, can you let me know what you think about it. I'm not going to get another system for a while so does the PC version have a good online community and net code compared to the PS3/360 version. I have all these controllers for just one game and can still use my DS3 so I'd like to make use of them and stay active in the game instead of taking a long break.

ArjanN

Dascu said:
ggs Arjan

Rare to see a Dan and Seth player. The El Fuerte mirror matches were loads of fun. :lol

Hey, you already posted, yeah, lots of fun. Fuerte VS Fuerte is crazy, people flying all over the place.

TimeKillr said:
What the hell would that do?

Kara KK from qcb+K? How the hell is that even a kara?

loganclaws said:
LoL, my thoughts exactly... Either Kara took on a whole new meaning or he has no idea what kara means.

Yes logan I know what kara means ;) Do you? :lol

In the air, you kara the roundhouse tatsu into an ex tatsu . Essentially, the initial forward momentum of the rh tatsu stacks into the ex and you can travel about 25 - 50% further in the air. qcb k~kk

Timekillr, come get RD'ed :p

TimeKillr

FindMyFarms said:
Yes logan I know what kara means ;) Do you? :lol

In the air, you kara the roundhouse tatsu into an ex tatsu . Essentially, the initial forward momentum of the rh tatsu stacks into the ex and you can travel about 25 - 50% further in the air. qcb k~kk

Timekillr, come get RD'ed :p

Yeah yeah yeah. I'll bring my copy back home today (since we're never playing it here anymore anyway) along with my TE. It's been a while since I played you. :)

Top Bottom