• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

sionyboy said:
I'd like it if those little quotes in the grudge matches made it into normal play, if only I could hear Sagat's "RYYYYUUUUUUUUUUU" every time I went for an Ultra :D

Looking forward to Capcom's announcement, I noticed today that I have surpassed 100hrs in SF4, and that's just on my copy, I do majority of my fighting around my friends house..... :s
Yeah, I like the shittalking in the rival matches in arcade mode. The same concept is present it some other games. I don't mind it in Blazblue, but a lot of people do :/

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Teknopathetic said:
Actually, that's not it. There's a "glitch" of sorts in SF4 where you can kara certain moves with super armor (balrog's EX punches, Abel's COD) to trigger an ultra. The ultra will only be triggered if you get hit during the early part of the ex move.
FA armor, ex armor, whatever!

KAL2006 said:
Me too, I thnk its definatly going to be announced at TGS. Also I think the rumored list

T Hawk
DeeJay
Dudley
Ibuki
Makoto
Guy
Cody
Adon
2 New characters

is correct, as the news has been posted on Shoryuken forums (by a long time trusted user) and got removed, not just once but TWICE.

10 characters is great, but I am hoping we get TONS of new stages. Another wish of mine is that each character gets a choice of 2 Ultras/Supers (similar to SF3 which has 3). And of course balance changes (nerf Sagat)

I never understood why so many people get upset about this and focus on tiers so much. look at max's ken. everyone thought ken was super low tier and max shows he can be extremely dangerous with him. no one played gen and everyone discounted him until yeb wrecked wcw. same goes for sabre and his sakura as he dismantled valle and his ryu. tiers don't matter. the better PLAYER will always win.

LakeEarth

Yeah, I hope they don't change how characters play. Maybe up some defense of some characters, lower damage on some moves, fix up some hitbox issues perhaps, but the actual moveset properties should stay the same (no matter how much I hate lariat).

EDIT - this is to not alienate arcade to console players.

bdizzle said:
I never understood why so many people get upset about this and focus on tiers so much. look at max's ken. everyone thought ken was super low tier and max shows he can be extremely dangerous with him. no one played gen and everyone discounted him until yeb wrecked wcw. same goes for sabre and his sakura as he dismantled valle and his ryu. tiers don't matter. the better PLAYER will always win.
eh, tiers are dictated by high-level play

LakeEarth said:
Yeah, I hope they don't change how characters play. Maybe up some defense of some characters, lower damage on some moves, fix up some hitbox issues perhaps, but the actual moveset properties should stay the same (no matter how much I hate lariat).

I agree with this mostly (lariat should not hit low, that move has enough bullshit properties already) - incremental balancing changes are all I really want to see, and maybe a new move for some of the lower tier characters who have to rely more on shenanigans than actual options.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
bdizzle said:

Gen just happens to be the most solid of the low tier characters against the top tier. And I play in an area with a very good Gen.

What's needed is buffs for the chars with bad matchups- to deal with those matchups, and nerfs to Sagat,Akuma, Ryu, and Rufus (all Rufus needs is a nerfed ultra) .

MoxManiac

Rufus's ultra is fine. It's already one of the less damaging Ultras in the game. I don't see why a character who is 3rd tier down from the top needs a nerf, especially with his weaknesses.

Leunam

_dementia said:
In the past I have performed Abel's EX Kara Cancel twice and it was blocked on both accounts. Is it even worth attempting it?

Hell no. Nice to know, but don't depend on it, or build your game around it. I've pulled it off before and connected, but it's really not necessary.

PhatSaqs

Banned
SF4 is already damn well balanced. There are some things that need looked at for sure IMO (im looking at you trade DPs into juggles) but overall im hoping for minimal changes.

People complain about shit like Rufus geezus kick but his wake up game would be absolutely horrible without it and that's WITH meter.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
bdizzle said:
main a low tier character and see whats up.

edit: but yea, play style is more important than tier ranking

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
anybody know when this supposed announcement is to be made? Are we talking about hours or days?

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
ohh, i never heard october 1st. i dont know why i think friday...i mean i dont remember where i originally read it. TGS seems like it should be the place though, right?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
_dementia said:
the only day I've seen mentioned was kensk's October 1 date

edit: or what bistromathics said?

thought as much, lets just hope this doesnt start with a moronic countdown to an announcement which turns into carnival of stupid :(

PhatSaqs said:
SF4 is already damn well balanced. There are some things that need looked at for sure IMO (im looking at you trade DPs into juggles) but overall im hoping for minimal changes.

People complain about shit like Rufus geezus kick but his wake up game would be absolutely horrible without it and that's WITH meter.

I agree with this.

Just fix the online issues and include lobbies please.

My wish list for Super Street Fighter 4 Turbo Dash would be:
*Nerfing and buffing some characters (Gief, Sagat, Cammy, Fei Long, Vega and so on)
*Fixing bugs and glitches
*New backgrounds and music
*Decent replay system (current one is bullshit)
*More stats (how many matches against some character and so on)
*Lobbies for online playing
*With lobbies comes more modes like tournaments and kumite etc.
*2 Ultra options for each character
*More options for searching matches (for example 'remove all 1&2 bar connections')
*If it is going to be stand alone disc, then it would be nice to be able to import all my stats from the current version. DLC also.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I started out just being general hyped that there was going to be any kind of update/re-vamp of sf4, but my mind was already compiling the wouldn't-it-be-cool-if list, which always, always ends with disappointment :(

Nose Master

bdizzle said:

Yeah, but the thing is, a bad sagat can beat an amazing Ken if he makes two mistakes. A ho-hum Sagat can make mistakes all the way to the bank and still squeeze out a victory.

Askia47

_dementia said:
the only day I've seen mentioned was kensk's October 1 date

edit: or what bistromathics said?

SF4 was announced in October 2007, iirc. idk if that means anything though. 2 year anniversary?

LakeEarth said:
For sure! I understand why I can't upload every single match, but why can't I save as many replays as my hard drive can handle?
Yeah. Also why can't I change the speed of the replay or rewind? They have slowmo, but no rewind or fast forward. :(

DR2K

Banned
bdizzle said:

The higher tier wins more. Look at tournament results and eat crow. You won't be seeing many Ken, Gen, and Sakuras' for a reason.

DR2K said:
The higher tier wins more. Look at tournament results and eat crow. You won't be seeing many Ken, Gen, and Sakuras' for a reason.

I understand they win more, but that doesn't mean they're broken or need to fixed. It's like JWong, he uses abel, rufus, and balrog and still beats the majority of players he runs across because he's the better player (probably the best in the us). Even if you nerf sagat, that's not going to stop the top tier of players from dominating the game no matter who they pick. It's not going to stop the sagat players from migrating to the next character, dominating with them, then have everyone scream, ryu needs to be nerfed, gief needs to be nerfed, akuma needs to be nerfed, etc.

Leunam

DR2K said:

SFIV is still fairly new. The tiers are going to shift around quite a bit.

While I hate to point to another game for reference, look at Kuroda and his Q in SFIII. He's a character most consider bottom tier, yet he consistently does well in tournaments where he plays Q. Ultimately, I think it will usually come down to the player. Abel is considered solid middle by most Shiro and Ojisan Boy can still pull off wins against Ryus, Sagats, and Akumas.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sagat mostly gets flack for having high damage, high health, and high range. The only thing he can't do is walk, but he can fly knee first just about anywhere.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
of course tiers matter much less to people like kuroda..aka people that are *really* good at SF..you can always say that in any game..its the player not the character etc..but higher tier characters have more tools with which to get the W across all skill levels.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Hitokage said:
Sagat mostly gets flack for having high damage, high health, and high range. The only thing he can't do is walk, but he can fly knee first just about anywhere.
He gets flack for good reason. His damage output is really crazy when you consider the fact he can juggle like a marvel character.

The problem with tiers isn't just about balance, but that it means the majority of players only play certain characters. I don't want another sf3 where everyone plays ken, chun or yun. Q should have been more popular :-(

Still, I don't want the game to be balanced so much as diversified. Give characters with only a few moves more specials or unique normals(Fei Long, Guile), make sure everyone has an overhead(cammy), and in general mix things up a little to make characters more interesting to play(bring back ryu's side kick!).

Other than that, just add turbo mode, super options(mahvel-style abc projectile, anti-air, etc), the grass stage from alpha 2 and motherfucking custom win quotes!

Ysiadmihi said:
Oh god yes. I can't stand playing vs people who realize they'll have a much easier time if they just sit there and camp.

You have to play Cammy like Rufus. Her dive kicks have a tad bit more startup but give you better frame advantage. Once you get in close, use TK strike mixups. No one's going to sit there and eat chip damage and/or get thrown all day. Also Cammy gets mad ambiguous crossup setups off forward throw. Camping against cammy is NOT something you want to do when she's played right.

Top Bottom