• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Killa Sasa said:
I despise Cammy mirrors... so frenetic it's hard to keep up :lol As a decent Cammy player, I don't have a good way to take care of other Cammy's. Ditto for Guile.

Ken mirrors are probably my favorite. So much fiyah
Ken mirrors are freaking off the charts! I make it a goal to land as many SRKs as possible; flow chart 4 life lol.
But I love the frantic Cammy matches though...throwing spikes and arrows all over the place with a hint of Hooligan and knuckles. Mmm mmm good.

Threi

notag
Ken mirrors are an endless source of lulz
Honda mirrors are....
Fuerte mirrors are SQUEAK SQUEAK HUAA SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK FA-HEE-TA-BUSTAA SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK

bumpkin

Nemesis121 said:
Did Ryu Change his name to Guile? Turtle matches are boring, sheeesh 97% of Ryu players never attack they sit and wait for you to Jump, i have met 2 good Ryu players on PC and they both beat me, the rest just suck, it seems like most people use shoto character the same way on PC.
Man, could you imagine how glorious it would be if Capcom nerfed Ryu in Super so people couldn't do the Jab Shoryu -> FADC -> Ultra combo? There would probably be riots. :lol

LakeEarth

Threi said:
Honda mirrors are....
It is the worst. You can't attack! You just can't. You can't punish anything. And because Honda is so short and wide, buttslams become very spammable. It just becomes a headbutt/buttslam-fest, anytime I fight someone I know is a Honda player I switch to someone else.

Xevren

LakeEarth said:
It is the worst. You can't attack! You just can't. You can't punish anything. And because Honda is so short and wide, buttslams become very spammable. It just becomes a headbutt/buttslam-fest, anytime I fight someone I know is a Honda player I switch to someone else.

So true, all the mirrors I ended up in the other guy was always really butt splash happy.

I consider myself an alright player but I'm having a really hard time with higher end link chains and was wondering if anyone can offer any pointers. Stuff like Balrogs 2x crouching jab>crouching short>headbutt is the kind of thing I struggle with. I'm just not consistent and it's annoying. I can do 2 in 1's fine, it's just longer chains that are 3+ hits are when I'm flimsy.

Threi

notag
Xevren said:
Stuff like Balrogs 2x crouching jab>crouching short>headbutt is the kind of thing I struggle with. I'm just not consistent and it's annoying. I can do 2 in 1's fine, it's just longer chains that are 3+ hits are when I'm flimsy.
Really? I thought that was by far one of the easier links to do in the game. You don't even need a real sense of timing, just hit the next punch button when it looks like his animation finished and it will link.

To follow up to my own query re: SFIV in non-HD: I was at an arcade tonight and they had SFIV arcade build in a Naomi cab, and it looked just fine.

Also, damn, totally drove home to me how not equivalent internet MP is to a live arcade (lol).

Threi said:
Honda mirrors are....

LOL are you referring to that one match where neither honda hit each other for a round and it was a time out draw?

A Twisty Fluken said:
Also, damn, totally drove home to me how not equivalent internet MP is to a live arcade (lol).

Badass, which arcade?

I just started playing Blanka vs Sim matches. Can Sim always hit Blanka if a horizontal blanka ball HITS him? Am I not blocking fast enough? Seems kinda damn unfair.

Nemesis121 said:
Did Ryu Change his name to Guile? Turtle matches are boring, sheeesh 97% of Ryu players never attack they sit and wait for you to Jump, i have met 2 good Ryu players on PC and they both beat me, the rest just suck, it seems like most people use shoto character the same way on PC.

Well obviously I must be one of those guys, thanks for the compliment :p

bumpkin said:
Man, could you imagine how glorious it would be if Capcom nerfed Ryu in Super so people couldn't do the Jab Shoryu -> FADC -> Ultra combo? There would probably be riots. :lol

Did you mean jab SRK -> Ultra? Any SRK can be FADC'd into Ultra. But the Jab SRK when done against a airborne opponent will set up Ultra, which many people despise. I use to base my whole game around that thing, but now I find myself trying to FADC all the time and actually forgetting to Ultra like half the time when I do land the jab SRK on a jumping opponent.

Zissou

ThatCrazyGuy said:
I just started playing Blanka vs Sim matches. Can Sim always hit Blanka if a horizontal blanka ball HITS him? Am I not blocking fast enough? Seems kinda damn unfair.

Yeah, balls are never safe on sit vs. sim as far as I've experienced. It's a terrible match-up, man. Getting in on him is nigh-impossible, especially if you haven't got the meter to use ex rainbow roll to try to better position yourself. You have to slowly move in, and you can't really rely on the slide (no decent sim will fireball when you're in slide range) and the ex horizontal ball is just as punishable as the rest on hit so you can't avoid fireballs that way either. Sometimes you can catch random limbs with electricity, but I suck at doing minimum bursts of electricity reliably, so I don't do that a whole lot. I hate this fight.

Aedile

Xevren said:
Stuff like Balrogs 2x crouching jab>crouching short>headbutt is the kind of thing I struggle with.

You may have the same problem I did (and do): inputting the combo too quickly, so the second jab cancels the first rather than linking. Slow down your inputs and it should work. Swapping out the cr.lk for a third cr.lp might also help, although at the expense of damage.

MOTHERFUCKING YES!!!!!

Finally got my Normal/Hard Trials done!!

I woke up my wife in celebration, but man feels like I just lost my virginity all over again!

*doing the running man*

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
sigh

I got back to this after 2 weeks off and got fucking destroyed by a 2000 points KEN.

he was really quite good though. also, ryus that follow up a whiffed lp srk with another one are sux. stupid online tactic of winning due to lag. a fucking guy did that to me and tried to FADC into ultra. he missed the ultra but still.

Zissou said:
Anybody on PSN who wants to play now?

edit: PSN ID: MadMrBacon

I think you're on my friends list. I'll be on in about 10 if ur down. Also I'm on pad, so I might send u rage mail with a dash of salty

Rotanibor

black_vegeta said:
Sorry Rotanibor, bed time for me. I've been staying up late way too much this week.

GG's, we'll rumble later on.

ggs man, you got a nice bison there. I kind don't think its Akuma's best match, but I am getting better at it. We definitely need to play again so I can get some more Bison practice in with you. :D

Also GGs Bistromathics. Oddly enough, even with only two bars I wasn't feelin' all that much lag.

Zissou

FindMyFarms: Thanks for the matches. I don't have a keyboard connected to my triple so I couldn't really do gafchat, so sorry about that. I had no idea what to do against your cammy corner pressure :lol . It didn't help that my ex up balls weren't coming out- too much pressure against a gaf legend or something:D

I've gotta play some more, then we'll have to have a rematch one of these days. I was surprised the connection wasn't horrible given the two bar connection I was seeing. Also, have you got any advice for my scrubby blanka?

Zissou said:
FindMyFarms: Thanks for the matches. I don't have a keyboard connected to my triple so I couldn't really do gafchat, so sorry about that. I had no idea what to do against your cammy corner pressure :lol . It didn't help that my ex up balls weren't coming out- too much pressure against a gaf legend or something:D

I've gotta play some more, then we'll have to have a rematch one of these days. I was surprised the connection wasn't horrible given the two bar connection I was seeing. Also, have you got any advice for my scrubby blanka?

Hey just to clarify real fast when I say pad challenge I mean I'm using pad (because my roommates are asleep and my joystick smashing would wake em up) I dont know if you used pad or stick, but by no means was I challenging you to use pad against me haha.

With regards to avoiding the corner Cammy pressure, you're number one mistake was jumping back. You had a tendency to jump back under pressure, eventually getting to the corner which is not somewhere you want to be against Cammy :( One of Brazilian Ju Jitsu's mantras is "position before submission" which stressed not to attempt a submission unless you were in good position to do so, otherwise you could risk losing your ground and giving your opponent the advantage. The same thing applies to SF4, you have to recognize where you can do damage, and before thinking about attacking, get to that spot first. When I used Cammy against you, nothing I actually did in the middle ground of the stage from the pokes to the random special whiffs was meant to hurt you, but rather to pressure you mentally trigger your jump back reflex so I could get you in the corner, THEN I thought about taking down life.

Unfortunately, I'm not the most qualified person to give Blanka advice, but I know there's some excellent Blanka's here that can step up.

There's some general metagame I could comment on but I don't wanna turn this into a ramble :/ For the most part, practice with the goal of improvement makes perfect! Once again GG's :)

PS - Does anyone know how to use the custom ps3 soundtracks in this game?

Dizzy-4U

FindMyFarms said:
I tried custom soundtrack for the first time a few days ago. You'll have to copy your songs to the PS3 HDD for them to work. I tried playing them from a pendrive but didn't work. Once you have the songs in the HDD, press the PS button and go to your music folder.

It's a relief that now I can listen to "Arabesque" insted of the training song. It was driving me nuts.

Also, thanks everyone for the tips on Abel and his reset. It's fantastic :D

cboxsfivplat.jpg

SF4 getting a platinum hits edition. It was pretty cheap already.

Dizzy-4U said:
I tried custom soundtrack for the first time a few days ago. You'll have to copy your songs to the PS3 HDD for them to work. I tried playing them from a pendrive but didn't work. Once you have the songs in the HDD, press the PS button and go to your music folder.

It's a relief that now I can listen to "Arabesque" insted of the training song. It was driving me nuts.

Oh cool thanks, and ex + a soundtrack is awesome!

Zissou

FindMyFarms said:
Hey just to clarify real fast when I say pad challenge I mean I'm using pad (because my roommates are asleep and my joystick smashing would wake em up) I dont know if you used pad or stick, but by no means was I challenging you to use pad against me haha.

With regards to avoiding the corner Cammy pressure, you're number one mistake was jumping back. You had a tendency to jump back under pressure, eventually getting to the corner which is not somewhere you want to be against Cammy :( One of Brazilian Ju Jitsu's mantras is "position before submission" which stressed not to attempt a submission unless you were in good position to do so, otherwise you could risk losing your ground and giving your opponent the advantage. The same thing applies to SF4, you have to recognize where you can do damage, and before thinking about attacking, get to that spot first. When I used Cammy against you, nothing I actually did in the middle ground of the stage from the pokes to the random special whiffs was meant to hurt you, but rather to pressure you mentally trigger your jump back reflex so I could get you in the corner, THEN I thought about taking down life.

Unfortunately, I'm not the most qualified person to give Blanka advice, but I know there's some excellent Blanka's here that can step up.

There's some general metagame I could comment on but I don't wanna turn this into a ramble :/ For the most part, practice with the goal of improvement makes perfect! Once again GG's :)

Thanks for the advice. Half of the stuff I was doing were things I know shouldn't do, like many of those random ultras etc.. I also know I can get predictable with horizontal balls as well. I was surprised I connected with as many slides as I did, but I'm guessing lag was a factor there.

As for custom soundtracks, as far as I know, you can only use them offline :(

Dizzy-4U said:

I've actually been listening to Guardian of Light/Precious Heart/Strange Sunset while training. :D

Got my friends TE again this weekend just in case anyone wanted to play me tonight or during the actual weekend.

Dizzy-4U

sonicspear64 said:
I've actually been listening to Guardian of Light/Precious Heart/Strange Sunset while training. :D
Yeah, despite almost everyone hates SFEX, I always try to see the good side of it. The music is really great.

Dizzy-4U said:
Yeah, despite almost everyone hates SFEX, I always try to see the good side of it. The music is really great.

Haters be damned, I love that game and especially its soundtrack, one of the best ever!

Rufus

Hitokage said:
Finger gymnastics required! Oh, and that ex FA needs to be level 2.
Good to know!

Hitokage said:
Edit: Ok, tried out Yoga FLAME to Yoga Inferno, and what you need to do is start the 2x qcf before the yoga flame hits, and hit punch just after it hits. Again, input buffer.
Ok, thx, gonna practice that.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
FindMyFarms said:
Haters be damned, I love that game and especially its soundtrack, one of the best ever!

word..EX was a great game....the trial mode alone was worth it..i remember 'sim had a crazy last challenge..something like 'keep the opponent juggled in the air for 15 seconds'..good times

The original EX was also a favourite of mine (just the first one, not so much 2 and 3, felt to slow compared to the first). Garuda's tune "Stronger" is my personal favourite track in the game, love the guitar solo part way through. Loved the training mode as well, never could do most of the B and A rank combo's but it was damn fun to try. Probably spent more time in that mode than any other!

I still keep dipping in and out of SFIV every week determined to reach rank G2 (I'm a late starter to championship mode). Usually I have a pretty smooth ride in up until the final where I manage to either screw up or get matched up to someone miles better than me!

bumpkin

Rice-Eater said:
Did you mean jab SRK -> Ultra? Any SRK can be FADC'd into Ultra. But the Jab SRK when done against a airborne opponent will set up Ultra, which many people despise. I use to base my whole game around that thing, but now I find myself trying to FADC all the time and actually forgetting to Ultra like half the time when I do land the jab SRK on a jumping opponent.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I totally despise that combo because unfortunately a lot of Ryu players online *do* base their game around it. It's like someone else said; they never jump, they just wait for you to jump.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Anyone here wants to teach how to play SFIV ?
I need a sensei.

ArjanN

bumpkin said:
Yeah, that's what I meant. I totally despise that combo because unfortunately a lot of Ryu players online *do* base their game around it. It's like someone else said; they never jump, they just wait for you to jump.

Just don't jump in. Eventually most of them will get confused/frustrated and try to jump in on you.

bumpkin said:

Maybe you should play me sometimes, I probably jump too much in this game. Good thing I can get away with it against most online players.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Anyone knows if custom soundtracks work on Practice mode on the PS3 version?
It could be awesome.

Top Bottom