• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Zissou

GGs findmyfarms. You shouldn't have even bothered to bring out your boxer; I struggle against pretty much any random character in your hands, and to bring out one of your mains who also happens to be such a bad matchup for blanka, I can't even remember if I took a round against him :lol

Abstract Alien: Somehow, I completely missed your message about playing earlier, and only just saw it as I was signing off a minute ago. Next time I promise to properly check these things :D

Zissou said:
GGs findmyfarms. You shouldn't have even bothered to bring out your boxer; I struggle against pretty much any random character in your hands, and to bring out one of your mains who also happens to be such a bad matchup for blanka, I can't even remember if I took a round against him :lol

Abstract Alien: Somehow, I completely missed your message about playing earlier, and only just saw it as I was signing off a minute ago. Next time I promise to properly check these things :D

GG's again Zissou. And yeah, boxer v blanka is a pretty stacked matchup but you did fine :)

Also, there's actually a decent amount of gaffers on psn playing at any given time, but I'm the only one in gafchat usually :(

TofuEater

Rice-Eater said:
I share a similar problem name idea thief, I mean TofuEater.

:lol:lol haha I've had used this name for quite some time before I registered on gaf.
There is a different meaning than "just" Eating the edible Tofu :D

Thanks for all the tips, maybe I'm pushing the buttons too many times to actually get 1 c.lp out, I guess I push it about 3 times for the c.lp to come out and thus I get hit. Still don't get the timing in the game.

Threi said:
pretty bad ass, but nowhere near as badass as bison's vs screen.

and then you are headfaked when the actual match starts and you get this:

27y06tz.jpg
That image might be off screen or something but the PC filters help bring out his manliness:

fjm98y.png

rocK` said:
I recently got a new TV (bravia 40'' for my bedroom) and changed my x360 to 1080p...I noticed a lot of input lag and in game lag

I switched it back to 1080i and had no issues.

this sucks because 1080p looks so goooooooooood. :(
get the PC version

rocK` said:
I recently got a new TV (bravia 40'' for my bedroom) and changed my x360 to 1080p...I noticed a lot of input lag and in game lag

I switched it back to 1080i and had no issues.

this sucks because 1080p looks so goooooooooood. :(

keep it at 720p, and if you really (do!!!) care use the bravia's game mode.

when i first saw this game in HD, i figuratively jizzed in my pants.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
FindMyFarms said:
Also, there's actually a decent amount of gaffers on psn playing at any given time, but I'm the only one in gafchat usually :(
Maybe there should be some info posted about it?

rocK`

Banned
Tiger uppercut said:
keep it at 720p, and if you really (do!!!) care use the bravia's game mode.

when i first saw this game in HD, i figuratively jizzed in my pants.

hmmm, what are the benefits of this??

rocK`

Banned
_dementia said:
get the PC version

I triple dipped.

The competition on PC is disturbingly bad, not to mention the added factor of someones limited CPU/GPU contributing to lag is not my cup of tea.

I'm at G1-C now, anything else is free.

Plus, we all know PC is for ggpo/3s

too bad not a whole lot of gaffers from Singapore picked up this game. Hopefully some will finally take the plunge with SSF4.

I'd kill to play with the regulars on this thread.

BotoxAgent said:
GGs to Nintendo Punk (MyDingling) last night. It was a lot of fun, despite some of the lag :)

GGs dude. Yeah there was some lag, but honestly for a two bar match, it wasn't that bad. Felt better than some fucked up 5-bar matches I get sometimes.

good job with the Chun mixups. I always get caught by her special cross up attack flip. And then you were following up with hazanshu which really threw me off. I'm still learning that matchup. As a charge character she throws me off because she can turtle well if she needs to, but has some nice normals to mix things up.

How was my akuma? I picked him up in the past two days. Can't get a BnB out for the life of me, haha. I also noticed you switched to Ryu everytime I went Akuma; is he a bad matchup for Chun?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
myDingling said:
How was my akuma? I picked him up in the past two days. Can't get a BnB out for the life of me, haha. I also noticed you switched to Ryu everytime I went Akuma; is he a bad matchup for Chun?
Maybe I just haven't played better Akumas, but I have less trouble against him than Ryu.

myDingling said:
GGs dude. Yeah there was some lag, but honestly for a two bar match, it wasn't that bad. Felt better than some fucked up 5-bar matches I get sometimes.

good job with the Chun mixups. I always get caught by her special cross up attack flip. And then you were following up with hazanshu which really threw me off. I'm still learning that matchup. As a charge character she throws me off because she can turtle well if she needs to, but has some nice normals to mix things up.

Your Akuma was quite solid. I only switched to Ryu only because I needed to work on Ryu (which needs a lot of work) and that matchup with Akuma always troubles me...not to mention your Cammy is really good and my Ryu wouldn't probably last that long, lol. I think the main thing you need to work on is just mixing it up to keep me guessing. It's something I need to work on Ryu as well :-( But it was fun man.

I really liked playing your Cammy there were some really nice setups you did on me that I dug. I rarely use Chun's crossup kick these days...i only throw once in a while to keep people guessing (my timing is usually off and people easily reverse DP it :-(). My blockstrings and footsie shenanigans wasn't working to well against you too well....so kept resorting to my random hasan, shu cr.short-->ex legs combo, as a panic/last resort. I gotta work on that Cammy match up more.

hit me up anytime you wanna play :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
BotoxAgent said:
I gotta work on that Cammy match up more.
Cammy's Cannon Strike extends her hitbox pretty low and if she's in front of you rather than above you, Chun's st. HP will beat it clean even if there's a foot of air between her fist and Cammy's foot. You can also beat her Hooligan and Back Fist with st. HP or something else, not to mention the Back Fist only passes through fireballs when timed correctly. Also, you can ultra punish her Spiral Arrow on block but the window is very small, pretty much the moment the hit lands and not later.

BotoxAgent said:
Your Akuma was quite solid. I only switched to Ryu only because I needed to work on Ryu (which needs a lot of work) and that matchup with Akuma always troubles me...not to mention your Cammy is really good and my Ryu wouldn't probably last that long, lol. I think the main thing you need to work on is just mixing it up to keep me guessing. It's something I need to work on Ryu as well :-( But it was fun man.

I really liked playing your Cammy there were some really nice setups you did on me that I dug. I rarely use Chun's crossup kick these days...i only throw once in a while to keep people guessing (my timing is usually off and people easily reverse DP it :-(). My blockstrings and footsie shenanigans wasn't working to well against you too well....so kept resorting to my random hasan, shu cr.short-->ex legs combo, as a panic/last resort. I gotta work on that Cammy match up more.

hit me up anytime you wanna play :)

Just remember, cammy's natural enemy is low block. The low block negates a gigantaic amount of her options. I noticed I hooliganed you quite a bit because you were charging back. If you need to charge go with down+back and not just back.

Also, when you see a hooligan, spam Jab. Doesn't really matter what you're doing, just start spamming something since it's ridiculously easy to take her out of it.

You also did this sometimes but not always: if you have no meter for AA, dash back on wakeup or get ready for some crouching option selects. If you jump/standing block, it's easy pickins for a hooligan throw.

Hitokage said:
Cammy's Cannon Strike extends her hitbox pretty low and if she's in front of you rather than above you, Chun's st. HP will beat it clean even if there's a foot of air between her fist and Cammy's foot. You can also beat her Hooligan and Back Fist with st. HP or something else, not to mention the Back Fist only passes through fireballs when timed correctly. Also, you can ultra punish her Spiral Arrow on block but the window is very small, pretty much the moment the hit lands and not later.

thanks for the tips! I didn't know about using st. HP that way. And I wasn't sure how to really counter that backfist either (my noobish neutral jump roundhouse attempts didn't work :lol )

myDingling said:
Just remember, cammy's natural enemy is low block. The low block negates a gigantaic amount of her options. I noticed I hooliganed you quite a bit because you were charging back. If you need to charge go with down+back and not just back.

Also, when you see a hooligan, spam Jab. Doesn't really matter what you're doing, just start spamming something since it's ridiculously easy to take her out of it.

You also did this sometimes but not always: if you have no meter for AA, dash back on wakeup or get ready for some crouching option selects. If you jump/standing block, it's easy pickins for a hooligan throw.

yeah, you hooliganed me almost every single time....i was like "doh!" everytime it happened. Didn't really know what to do there either, even when I knew it was coming and was expecting it, I still kept losing to it :-( I tend to play pretty foolishly/aggressively lately, but the moment the game was close with little life and u had meter I turtled a bit, looking for it....and I still fell for it :lol We had a lot of close matches where I choked because of the hooligan :-(

I have never played anyone before on my friend's list who mains Cammy, so this is good know.

AZ Greg

myDingling said:
Any dive-kick-shenanigans Rufuses (Rufi?) on XBL? I really need some practice against all his crap.

I play a little Rufus, though Vega (Claw) is my main. If you want to get some games in, XBL tag is "AZ Greg"

I feel like my rufus/dhally have hit a brick wall :^/
I know I have MUCH to improve, but I seem so stagnant.

Spiderjericho said:
Can one of the PS3 players send me an invitation to GAFCHAT? I had it on my other PS3 but don't have it on my Slim.
me too please

psn: xenoetry

LakeEarth

Play around and find someone else, play ranked until you feel comfortable enough to bring it to championship mode. Picking up a new character keeps it fresh.

MightyKAC

AZ Greg said:
I play a little Rufus, though Vega (Claw) is my main. If you want to get some games in, XBL tag is "AZ Greg"

Holy crap, I thought I was the only one insane enough to main the Claw. Any tips on mastering the chara throw?

HiResDes said:
Thanks a bunch, btw any newfound tricks with Fei Long...I could use a lot of help, mostly with controlling space against shoto's and of course Sagat (though I'll never beat a truly solid one).

You just have to be pretty patient outside of attack range. Fireballs are Fei Long's weakness so you have to be careful and use focus attacks with the forward dash or a jump in at the right ranges. The main thing is to avoid the uppercut when you get close. You can use the chicken wing to get over Sagat's low fireballs, but it's pretty risky due to the slow startup so I wouldn't try it against anything else.

Once you get to mid range, you can go all out and rekkas are going to be your best friend. They're safe on block about a character's worth of space away, and the remaining 2 hits can be combo'd into on reaction. Remember that you can choose which to use after the first, so make sure you're hitting the right distances with L/M/P. Forward+HK is another great move that does high damage and keeps you just outside of most normal range. Watch out for Ken's Forward+MK and of course the Tiger Knee. Forward+MK is great mixup with low kicks, especially cLK which you can combo 4 consecutive times.

Your best bet for landing the ultra is after a jump-in HK or HP. You can also use it as an anti-air like akuma's, you only need the 2nd or 4th hit to connect for the full animation. It also does solid chip damage.

CPS2

God's Beard said:
You can use the chicken wing to get over Sagat's low fireballs, but it's pretty risky due to the slow startup so I wouldn't try it against anything else.

They all have tonnes of invincibility, like 8-12 frames, and are safe on block except for the LK version. I reckon you could probably use it against just about anything as long as it doesn't whiff.

UC1 said:
They all have tonnes of invincibility, like 8-12 frames, and are safe on block except for the LK version. I reckon you could probably use it against just about anything as long as it doesn't whiff.

5th of a second, huh? That's probably enough, I'll go test that out, thanks.

Brobzoid said:
Look at how much life the ultra takes off. Then do a hit confirmed dragonpunch FADC ultra and see how much that takes off.
I don't think the point was in the amount of the damage.

E: whoops skipped a word there

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i either need to drop guile or quit playing this game...i still win more than half of my g1 fights, but so many of guile's matchups are unbelievably tedious against players who have some idea what they're doing, and since i'll never be good at tight links, it doesn't feel like i can add much to my game anymore. i like abel a lot, but for some reason i've always been awful with him. don't want to be another ryu. haunts's guide makes me want to play some sagat -- and actually i find his fadc ultra setup easier than ryu's. bleh, i guess i'll experiment some

drohne said:
i either need to drop guile or quit playing this game...i still win more than half of my g1 fights, but so many of guile's matchups are unbelievably tedious against players who have some idea what they're doing, and since i'll never be good at tight links, it doesn't feel like i can add much to my game anymore. i like abel a lot, but for some reason i've always been awful with him. don't want to be another ryu. haunts's guide makes me want to play some sagat -- and actually i find his fadc ultra setup easier than ryu's. bleh, i guess i'll experiment some

I had the exact same experience as you. The game starts to drain you when you outwork someone by a fair margin only to lose because you don't have as many legitimate options as they do. Even with his tight links, Guile's reward is not huge at all. Crossover combo's are an easy example.

Try a new character, it kept me going. Just keep him on the backburner for when they buff him in SSF4, that's the approach I'm taking. It's all Cammy, all the time now (with some dabblings of Sakura, Ken and Guile) for me.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
BotoxAgent said:
thanks for the tips! I didn't know about using st. HP that way. And I wasn't sure how to really counter that backfist either (my noobish neutral jump roundhouse attempts didn't work :lol )
Her st.HP isn't the god-like zone/poke/antiair move it was in Third Strike, especially since you had control over whether to do the near/far version by holding back or not, but you can still use it for distanced anti-air.

Just finished testing the chicken wing. The standard ones don't really have invincibility, you actually have to dodge the fireball with it. Thus, they are useless for dodging air fireballs or gouken's AA fireballs.

LK Rekkukyaku - Can dodge fireballs on reaction at fullscreen. It's possible at 3/4's screen(barely within hit range) with great reflexes.

MK Rekkukyaku - Can dodge fireballs on reaction at fullscreen. Can't dodge EX sonic boom on reaction.

HK Rekkukyaku - Can only dodge akuma's QCB fireballs on reaction at fullscreen.

EX Rekkukyaku - Invunerability to all fireballs. Great move that should be your standard means of progressing towards shotos/sagat. Quick startup and solid damage, it will negate fireballs on reaction at any range.

I didn't test any of this with Sakura's charge fireballs, so I don't know if the giant fireball penetrates its hitbox. I assume the EX would plow through it, though. Testing this really opened my eyes to the move's potential, it's not as weak as I thought.

Kadey said:
HOT HAM! Good stuff right there.
Aljosa said:
Yup. There's shortcuts for Shoryukens.
I hate that so much. I was wondering to wonder if it was just me. I cant stand shortcuts, they just mess me all up :lol

Great matches Leunam! Man, I dont think you ever missed with your combo -> ultra/special even once. Nice execution. I do have a bone to pick you with though, as you completely murdered my dhalsim lol. Poor dhally :(

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Changed to my Viper icon today, and I was amazed at the amount of Hondas that suddenly started joining my lobbies.

Also, I ran into a dude with 58% disconnect today. Who the fuck keeps playing these people?

Lost Fragment said:
Changed to my Viper icon today, and I was amazed at the amount of Hondas that suddenly started joining my lobbies.

Also, I ran into a dude with 58% disconnect today. Who the fuck keeps playing these people?
58% wow

Rufus

Lost Fragment said:
At this point I'd guess it's people looking for an easy win or, if it's that bad - and my word it is higher than my fucking win ratio bad - just people looking for some funny hate mail.

Do you remember the tag?

Top Bottom