• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Dizzy-4U said:
It has probably been posted before, but I've been watching the training videos from this dude and they are totally awesome.

Those are some great videos. I noticed he used some of Haunts' Fei Long combos :lol

He didn't go into the command throw, though. I've been dying for some setups :-(

HiResDes

God's Beard said:
You just have to be pretty patient outside of attack range. Fireballs are Fei Long's weakness so you have to be careful and use focus attacks with the forward dash or a jump in at the right ranges. The main thing is to avoid the uppercut when you get close. You can use the chicken wing to get over Sagat's low fireballs, but it's pretty risky due to the slow startup so I wouldn't try it against anything else.

Once you get to mid range, you can go all out and rekkas are going to be your best friend. They're safe on block about a character's worth of space away, and the remaining 2 hits can be combo'd into on reaction. Remember that you can choose which to use after the first, so make sure you're hitting the right distances with L/M/P. Forward+HK is another great move that does high damage and keeps you just outside of most normal range. Watch out for Ken's Forward+MK and of course the Tiger Knee. Forward+MK is great mixup with low kicks, especially cLK which you can combo 4 consecutive times.

Your best bet for landing the ultra is after a jump-in HK or HP. You can also use it as an anti-air like akuma's, you only need the 2nd or 4th hit to connect for the full animation. It also does solid chip damage.
Thanks GB you're a genius, I'm feel like I'm already getting better practicing against my friend's Ru.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Lost Fragment said:
Changed to my Viper icon today, and I was amazed at the amount of Hondas that suddenly started joining my lobbies.

Also, I ran into a dude with 58% disconnect today. Who the fuck keeps playing these people?

I actually look forward to playing people with high DC % because I screencap all the rage quits. Unfortunately, people with > 10% DC never seem to quit when I beat them down, mysteriously enough :lol

My favorite
jt8n6d.jpg

Linkhero1

Ok I'm sick of losing. I want to start fresh learning everything about this game. What's the easiest way for me to pick up the terminology, combos and everything. I tried playing lots of matches online and training mode isn't helping me. Any help would be great.

LakeEarth

Apparently strength of punch affects how forward Fei Long goes with his super, is there any other strength-based differences in supers in this game (other than Fei and Abel's)?

HiResDes said:
Thanks GB you're a genius, I'm feel like I'm already getting better practicing against my friend's Ru.

Watch out though, I was wrong on two things:

1. EX Chicken Wing eats fireballs for breakfast and is great for closing distance and punishment. LK Chicken Wing is great for getting past fireballs at fullscreen.
2. Do the first two rekkas, not just the first. Make the second one lp if they block and they won't be able to uppercut you because of the extra distance.

SLYspyda

Banned
Kadey said:

Damn you. That's probably the best combo I've seen with Ryu.

I can't even get a freakin DP FADC into Ultra with my Ryu.

Can you write what you did in the video? How many times did you use the focus attack? I thought it could only be used once per combo.

Is a combo like that possible using a regular controller? How much am I hindering myself by not buying a joystick?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
SLYspyda said:
Can you write what you did in the video? How many times did you use the focus attack? I thought it could only be used once per combo.
EX FA is 2 bars meter, but other than that there's no limitation.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
LakeEarth said:
Apparently strength of punch affects how forward Fei Long goes with his super, is there any other strength-based differences in supers in this game (other than Fei and Abel's)?

El Fuerte's Super beats hits and projectiles on start frames, it starts at different distances, lk = short/fast, mk = mid/slower, hk = further/slowest.

O man I was so close to losing to this shitty turtle Ryu and with like 10% health got out a 2x MP air combo into ultra with Bison to win it. Destroyed him in the last one. I hate losing to players that are bad because I assume most players are good and don't do dumb wake up shit. Then I eat it and takes %20 of my health.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Jazzy Network said:
O man I was so close to losing to this shitty turtle Ryu and with like 10% health got out a 2x MP air combo into ultra with Bison to win it. Destroyed him in the last one. I hate losing to players that are bad because I assume most players are good and don't do dumb wake up shit. Then I eat it and takes %20 of my health.
DSP?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
-PXG- said:
Damage scaling is a bitch huh? :lol Ultra is pretty useless at that point. Cool combo though.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I have carpal tunnel in my left hand and I'm doing this all with a pad so it's a huge accomplishment for me. :D

The damage scaling is pretty bad so yeah. In a real game, it's just best to do regular FADC into Ultra for the most damage and worth. I made a chart citing various combos and ways and how much damage they do but I don't have it in front of me.

Damn you. That's probably the best combo I've seen with Ryu.

I can't even get a freakin DP FADC into Ultra with my Ryu.

Is a combo like that possible using a regular controller? How much am I hindering myself by not buying a joystick?

You can't do it in a real game. It's just for me to practice my execution and I'm really bored today since I took work off and nobody is around. You can take out the EX Shoryu and add an EX fireball into Ultra and it can be done in an actual game. Having the EX shoryu means you have to FADC afterwards and it takes two bars. But whether you would want to or not is the question since the whole damage scaling thing comes into play.

All I did was focus attack, dash into forward fierce, down fierce, fireball, FADC, dash into crouching medium kick into EX tatsu, EX Shoryu, FADC into Ultra.

And yes I am doing this with a pad. The madcatz pad. I suck with a joystick at the moment. :lol

Oh yeah.

I made a Ken one too! Check it out guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFF4VDj3ZaI

Threi

notag
LakeEarth said:
Ryu's

I am pretty sure every char's super changes with the punch/kick button selected. Just that some are more subtle than others.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
drohne said:
i either need to drop guile or quit playing this game...i still win more than half of my g1 fights, but so many of guile's matchups are unbelievably tedious against players who have some idea what they're doing, and since i'll never be good at tight links, it doesn't feel like i can add much to my game anymore. i like abel a lot, but for some reason i've always been awful with him. don't want to be another ryu. haunts's guide makes me want to play some sagat -- and actually i find his fadc ultra setup easier than ryu's. bleh, i guess i'll experiment some
Gen is the answer for your needs. Fun to use, fun to learn, and solid overall.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
nilbog21 said:
i need to play more gaffers on PSN

ID: primemover21

pls mention that u r gaffer on request
Man, I really need to do three things:

1. Expand my matchup knowledge.
2. Stop being stupidly aggressive (but it's too much fun!)
3. Stop messing up the timing for ex Hyaku > Ultra. :(

ggs

Hitokage said:
Man, I really need to do three things:

1. Expand my matchup knowledge.
2. Stop being stupidly aggressive (but it's too much fun!)
3. Stop messing up the timing for ex Hyaku > Ultra. :(

ggs

What's considered stupidly aggressive? I find it hard to not be aggressive. Whenever I give my opponent a little bit of space, I usually will pay for it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Jazzy Network said:
What's considered stupidly aggressive? I find it hard to not be aggressive. Whenever I give my opponent a little bit of space, I usually will pay for it.
Repeatedly jumping in on a crouching Balrog, knowing full well that even if it worked the last few times a headbutt is coming.

Hitokage said:
Repeatedly jumping in on a crouching Balrog, knowing full well that even if it worked the last few times a headbutt is coming.

I have very little trouble with Balrogs. My jump ins usually go over the headbutt for some reason. Maybe they're using heavy punch? Not sure, but usually Balrogs for me is a free win.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So I think I did some good tonight. One of my favorite things to do when playing the 360 version is to plug in a headset after the match has started, so the other guy has idea I am listening in and can communicate.

Most of today was spent trying (and doing horribly!) to get better with Sakura and Dan, but also there was some Rose. Anyway, for this particular match, I felt like going back to my main, Chun. My opponent is Boxer, and spends most of the match trying, failing, to turtle. I just keep walking up to him and either throw him or flip over him and go into EX lightning legs or axe kick. He's trash talking a bit and making stupid quips, but I stay silent until the match is over, when he's still running his mouth, I cut him off with the cheesiest-sounding "DAMN, YOU FUCKING SUCK!!" voice I can muster.

He comes up again in Championship mode, and this time, he stays quiet. I know he's still got his mic on, because I can hear him breathing. After quickly dispatching him the same way, this time I say "No trash talking this time? All right, you're learning!"

From that point on, every couple of matches, I'd get a challenge but the other guy would quickly disconnect. I WONDER WHO THAT COULD HAVE BEEN? :lol

On a side note, what is with the high number of shit players with 10,000+ CP now? o_O The guy I was talking about had 14,000+ points. I'm still low and only around 4,000 on 360 and 3,000 on PS3. :lol

Anyway, if anyone's up for some player matches, hit me up at lyte edge (360) and/or lyteedge (PS3). I wanna get better with Sakura and Dan!

GalacticAE said:
I think it's because you're playing bad Balrogs.

Could be. Most of them seem to do exactly what every good Balrog does though. I think the big difference is that they either don't know how I play, or I play well against them.

Hey Galactic or Find, could you send me an invite to SFIV GAFchat?

I was finally able to unlock all of the console characters on PS3 SFIV (for the second...wait fourth time). Now, I need some colors. I'm going to go and see if I can do the Kadey combos.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Solune said:
GGs to Hitokage.
Made short work of Abel and Akuma with Chun, not gonna play them anymore haha.
With Abel I know exactly what I need to do, other characters less so. It's kinda bizarre going from soundly beating you when you picked Akuma to being soundly beaten when you pick Ryu the match after. :(

GGs to Zissou too, my complete ignorance of the Blanka matchup showing heavily. Only won when I decided to OG SF2 it, but that didn't work for long. :(

Zissou

Hitokage said:
With Abel I know exactly what I need to do, other characters less so. It's kinda bizarre going from soundly beating you when you picked Akuma to being soundly beaten when you pick Ryu the match after. :(

GGs to Zissou too, my complete ignorance of the Blanka matchup showing heavily. Only won when I decided to OG SF2 it, but that didn't work for long. :(

Hey Hikotage, ggs. Laggy, but surprisingly playable for one bar.

I've been trying to figure out how to play gouken lately, but I think I have a long road ahead of me :lol

Lag might have been messing up the timing, but you should be able to get a free ultra with chun after a blocked ball; there were a couple times there where I thought I was going to eat it hard, but nothing came. Also, Chun's low roundhouse will stuff a lot of blanka's pokes at the right range and beat electricity, so throw that out more against blankas you run across. Thanks again for the matches.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Spiderjericho said:
Yeah, I tried this on my TE and wasn't able to do it. I can probably execute it on pad (but am trying to stay away from using them). My big problem is just the tap, tap, tap of FADC from the fireballs into the next series of moves.

They're both great combos. Impractical during combat but pretty.

I can do them on my TE stick but it has to be on the 2p side and even then, it's not as consistent as I can with a pad. All those thousands of hours of playing fighters on a pad since SF2 is a little unfair compared to not even two months worth of playing on a stick.

I'll keep trying though. :D

I think I'm going to make a video for every character now. And I need ideas.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Zissou said:
I've been trying to figure out how to play gouken lately, but I think I have a long road ahead of me :lol
With Gouken I was able to get into my usual kikouken game. :lol

Lag might have been messing up the timing, but you should be able to get a free ultra with chun after a blocked ball; there were a couple times there where I thought I was going to eat it hard, but nothing came. Also, Chun's low roundhouse will stuff a lot of blanka's pokes at the right range and beat electricity, so throw that out more against blankas you run across. Thanks again for the matches.
Man, once I jumped away from one of your ultras only to whiff my own ultra off the up-back charge and I ended up jumping back into it instead. :(

Kadey said:
I can do them on my TE stick but it has to be on the 2p side and even then, it's not as consistent as I can with a pad. All those thousands of hours of playing fighters on a pad since SF2 is a little unfair compared to not even two months worth of playing on a stick.

I'll keep trying though. :D

I have the same execution issues. I finished all but two of the trial combos and mess around with others in training using a Saturn or Fight Pad but things take a turn for the worse with the stick. But I'm a lot better than I was say last fall when I tried a HRAP and was like wtf and then put it back in the box.

And I think doing ultras and what not is easier on the TE because of the button layout and finger action.

The first guy to beat me in the South Florida tourney was this guy named Lexi who was using a DS3 and a white t-shirt (on his thumb). So there's nothing wrong with pad warriors. You have to go with what's comfortable.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Spiderjericho said:
I have the same execution issues. I finished all but two of the trial combos and mess around with others in training using a Saturn or Fight Pad but things take a turn for the worse with the stick. But I'm a lot better than I was say last fall when I tried a HRAP and was like wtf and then put it back in the box.
Well, I hope so, because you don't get any better at it with it in the box.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
gibration said:
I like the song :p nice combo btw. Anymore?
I like watching combo videos.

I'll make more when I have time.

And I think doing ultras and what not is easier on the TE because of the button layout and finger action.

The first guy to beat me in the South Florida tourney was this guy named Lexi who was using a DS3 and a white t-shirt (on his thumb). So there's nothing wrong with pad warriors. You have to go with what's comfortable.

For me the problem is the wide range of movement I have to do. My hands are small to begin with. The TE stick is really big and I have to maneuver my hands a whole lot more. With a pad, all it does is stay in my lap and I use three fingers like a piano. I am really used to playing like that. My execution is way off during actual games and people whom I can normally beat give me trouble. Sometimes I want to just use a pad but it won't help me get better if I resort to doing that.

Hitokage said:

Umm...why not? If Daigo can be psychic, so can I...syke.

You're right, which is why I only use a stick now. I won't lie I think the form factor of the SE is better in a living room (lap). A TE on a base is great but I hate it on my coffee table.

Perhaps we can play Miss Kadey.

Solune

Hitokage said:

Curious Hitokage, are you using stick or pad?
Those ultras were coming out after the EX legs and I was like thats gotta be stick.
To be honest I don't even bother using my stick for SFIV.
But I'll use it for shumps, MvC2 and Blazblue.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Solune said:
Curious Hitokage, are you using stick or pad?
HRAP1 modded with Sanwa buttons. I've had it for a long time now but I only started seriously using it in July.

Also started using it when playing Tetris too, and finally broke Level 300 in Shirase for the first time and then again since doing so. :D

Solune

Hitokage said:
HRAP1 modded with Sanwa buttons. I've had it for a long time now but I only started seriously using it in July.

Also started using it when playing Tetris too, and finally broke Level 300 in Shirase for the first time and then again since doing so.

Awesome I've never tried Tetris with a stick.
We should Tetris DS if you have that though! =p

Sorry to pandaofthebamboo, don't know your Gaf tag.
Some sort of PSN signing me off and not letting me back in.
Got owned again, self confidence going down to unnatural levels, GGs tho.

Solune said:
Got owned again, self confidence going down to unnatural levels, GGs tho.
Due to all the ass whoopings I've gotten in sf4, I can now perform a cross up as an actual strategy mid match along with an FADC ultra. Dont worry, its all for the good.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
does anyone else hate mirror matches more then their respective characters' bad matchup?..i think im at the point where id rather scrape a cheese grater against my forehead then play a mirror match

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Gr1mLock said:
does anyone else hate mirror matches more then their respective characters' bad matchup?..i think im at the point where id rather scrape a cheese grater against my forehead then play a mirror match
I love Akuma mirrors. But with Abel I'd rather play against a Gief -_-

Leunam

abstract alien said:
Great matches Leunam! Man, I dont think you ever missed with your combo -> ultra/special even once. Nice execution. I do have a bone to pick you with though, as you completely murdered my dhalsim lol. Poor dhally :(

Indeed, I never get much of a chance to fight Rufus. Really intense matches against him because sometimes I'm taken by surprise by his speed.

Zissou

Speaking of mirror matches, I just got a double ko for the final round of a first round championship mode fight. We both lost :(

Top Bottom