• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Yeah sorry it's just a pet peeve of mine. I was thinking some of you guys were against people training in player matches and bagging on them. I've gotten too salty.

btw, which one's vega in the live stream? I can't tell they both look the same.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
God's Beard said:
Yeah sorry it's just a pet peeve of mine. I was thinking some of you guys were against people training in player matches and bagging on them. I've gotten too salty.
You should consider that some people use Player Matches because they don't kick you out after a single match.

Hitokage said:
You should consider that some people use Player Matches because they don't kick you out after a single match.
That's what I do. I stopped playing Ranked matches when my BP hit 1337. I was so pissed when I accidentally joined one.

TofuEater

God's Beard said:

btw, which one's vega in the live stream? I can't tell they both look the same.

And thats pretty much what I was doing, training. Player matches allow me to imitate moves that I get owned with, the guy was just on the wrong end of the stick. Also its not always a a 4 or 5 bar player during night time in sydney :(. I just join what ever comes up as 3 or more bars.

Roseball ftw :D

Duelist

I finally got my Xconverter360 in. Anyone up for some games (friendly or competitive)? I can't use a mic while using this converter. GT: Duelist XI

haunts

Bacon of Hope
UC1 said:
This is really good stuff man. Can I ask, where did you learn how to kara TS with HK?

I read about the technique on SRK I think a while back, but didnt really see the higher level until I went to Japan really. I rarely used it and thought it was a gimmick at best until coming back.

edit: oh, with HK, I dunno... I just figured you could kara anything with F+HK and prefer it for Kara Uppers so thats what I use.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Im not one to talk about dumb shit to happen online, but this was pretty funny..

I was playing some player matches tonight, trying to learn some akuma. The first match I have is vs this guy who plays Abel and I keep trying to see what Demon will beat (wont beat wheel kick LOL) and he beats me and sends me a message saying "bitch".

So we play again and he plays akuma I guess trying to teach me a lesson or something, and I end up killing him the 2nd round with a Demon and Perfect him on the 3rd. lol.. Playing online usually isnt this satisfying.

Dascu

haunts said:
Im not one to talk about dumb shit to happen online, but this was pretty funny..

I was playing some player matches tonight, trying to learn some akuma. The first match I have is vs this guy who plays Abel and I keep trying to see what Demon will beat (wont beat wheel kick LOL) and he beats me and sends me a message saying "bitch".

So we play again and he plays akuma I guess trying to teach me a lesson or something, and I end up killing him the 2nd round with a Demon and Perfect him on the 3rd. lol.. Playing online usually isnt this satisfying.
It will if you time it right. You need to do it fairly late in order to properly dodge the kick with the invincibility frames.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Dascu said:
It will if you time it right. You need to do it fairly late in order to properly dodge the kick with the invincibility frames.

Thats good to know.. I tried it like 3 times with no luck. lol.. I assumed maybe only the super worked but not the ultra...

rocK`

Banned
What exactly is meant by Akuma's 'vortex'

[S.rh, s.lp]x2?

or akuma's mixup games that involve lots of demon flips and cr.rh?

rocK` said:
What exactly is meant by Akuma's 'vortex'

[S.rh, s.lp]x2?

or akuma's mixup games that involve lots of demon flips and cr.rh?

The latter. It refers to the large number of options he has when he scores a knockdown.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
A vortex is essentially a scenario where the opponent has about a 1 out 4 chance of defending properly.

The Vortex….

- Jump hard kick/medium kick or
- spaced dive kick or
- mix up with cross tatsu or
- empty throw or
- empty c.lk/c.mk into combo or
- demon flip throw

Or at least that's what I've taken it to mean.

LakeEarth

Can you watch yesterday's barfights stream on uStream again? All I can find is video of the people playing, not the screen.

Learning to turtle is hard for us rushers. I'm only now learning to back off when I have a huge lead and the other guy is just turtling half a screen away.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
LakeEarth said:
Can you watch yesterday's barfights stream on uStream again? All I can find is video of the people playing, not the screen.

Learning to turtle is hard for us rushers. I'm only now learning to back off when I have a huge lead and the other guy is just turtling half a screen away.

I was having this problem. I realized that when the other opponent has a lower life lead he should attack me, no vice versa. With Chun I have options if he gets close. Attacking on the other hand (even though I consider myself a rusher) is sightly harder for her since she can get SRK'ed every time or grabbed or... well Chun is mid-tier :lol

This did fail me yesterday. A Gen kicked my ass online. Really... two rounds... and he barely had 30% life off each round. Must have been one of my biggest failures. I tried to rush, but he kept a safe distance and slowly beat me to a pulp. Was kinda satisfying to see myself get such a beating, I was getting a bit too overconfident lately :lol

V_Arnold

God's Beard said:
Well if you're just trolling new players that's different. I'm fine with that. Just don't go into player matches expecting people to know how to deal with air fireballs and then complain that they don't know how to play on gaf.

Well, if a new player reacts to the "runaway" Akuma like this (and not to mention that term just means he is zoning WAY better than you ; ), then it is better to stop playing, because this mentality is not needed in Street Fighter matches. You lose, you are worse than your opponent. Blaming what he used / what he did not is a way to become a scrub.

When I started this game and was killed like 10-0 in player matches, I always sent "Awesome Ryu/Akuma, thanks... i have a lot to learn" messages instead. Explains the difference, does it?

ShinNL

Player matches are a great escape from the G1 league. Only then can I play something else besides my main and not be roasted right away. Plus there doesn't seem to be many G1 people... :(

There's really no point in turtling like crazy with the same character in player matches if you're on a streak. There's no score to be tracked and I assume both players want to have fun. If the turtling works then it means that the other player is probably not as experienced, so it's also the best chance to learn new characters.

I don't know about you guys but I don't see any fun in beating up new players with my mains while never losing a round.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Soneet said:
Player matches are a great escape from the G1 league. Only then can I play something else besides my main and not be roasted right away. Plus there doesn't seem to be many G1 people... :(

There's really no point in turtling like crazy with the same character in player matches if you're on a streak. There's no score to be tracked and I assume both players want to have fun. If the turtling works then it means that the other player is probably not as experienced, so it's also the best chance to learn new characters.

I don't know about you guys but I don't see any fun in beating up new players with my mains while never losing a round.

Exactly. If it's someone of a lower skill I'll pick another of my chars, like Honda or Rose. Makes it fair and lets me practice as well.

Soneet said:

Quoted for truth man.

Yeah, I only do player if I'm trying to work on a new character. Player match is clearly new guys trying to get better, as the competition is a big, big step down.

Now if a really strong player happens to join my player lobby, I will bring my Rufus and my A game.

But there is no joy in just destroying newbies in player matches. The joy of Street Fighter comes from playing skilled opponents and getting better. There's no better feeling than to go toe to toe with another great player and have a really intense battle.

A lot of times, I stick with my main throughout my player matches, but I do that so I can try new strategies and setup to deviate from my usual playstyle.

MoxManiac

Arpharmd B said:
Quoted for truth man.

Yeah, I only do player if I'm trying to work on a new character. Player match is clearly new guys trying to get better, as the competition is a big, big step down.

Now if a really strong player happens to join my player lobby, I will bring my Rufus and my A game.

But there is no joy in just destroying newbies in player matches. The joy of Street Fighter comes from playing skilled opponents and getting better. There's no better feeling than to go toe to toe with another great player and have a really intense battle.

You're XBL only, right? Would like to play some rufus mirror.

LakeEarth said:
Could someone explain this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GKBP-Ft0O0&feature=player_profilepage

What does he mean by activate the super with kicks? Is it as simple as pressing kick instead of punch for the motion? That works?

With balrog you can do the super/ultra with either the kicks or punches. Kicks allow you to juggle (only if you hold kicks), punch gives you longer reach but no juggle ability. From what I've been reading activating with just pressing kicks and not holding (or using punches after), it activates the super/ultra a frame or 2 earlier.

jam86 said:
With balrog you can do the super/ultra with either the kicks or punches. Kicks allow you to juggle (only if you hold kicks), punch gives you longer reach but no juggle ability. From what I've been reading activating with just pressing kicks and not holding (or using punches after), it activates the super/ultra a frame or 2 earlier.
Oh wow, had no idea about this info.

MoxManiac said:
You're XBL only, right? Would like to play some rufus mirror.

Add me.

GT: Apharmd Striker

Won't be home today though. In the future we will throw down.

I got a mean Rufus and I know this matchup like the back of my hand :) I thought I had played all XBL Rufi but I'm always looking for more to level up with. I look forward to it.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Nice events today :lol

1) Beat a 62K GP Honda who just kept headbutting and sumo slamming... wtf?
2. I am here, kicking this Blanka's ass. In the second round I cross over the Ultra so he misses it but keeps charging it. So... i try to see if I can Ultra from behind or something. I mess up the execution and do a heavy Spinning Bird and fall over his Ultra immediately killing me. I laughed my ass so hard that he cleaned the floor with me in the third round. Was a nice dude.. I sent him "That was awesome" and he replied with "That was so funny -gg". Made me feel good :lol
3. I beat this guy that uses Dan. He taunts me, etc, etc, etc. I really don't take Dan fights seriously so he almost beat me. I sent him a "lol". Nothing bad in that right? He's using Dan... that takes some humor =P. So he replies with a... Well I almost beat your Chun with Dan so you are not any good, I am much better with her. Sheesh." and invites me to a player match. I accept, always liking a challenge, and a mirror match ensues. The first match I really don't take it seriously until the third round where the competitive fire in me burnt. I let him beat me and tell him I want a rematch. He accepts. I humble him the second match and he starts talking, sounded like a nice guy. I beat him the third match as well and decided that it was enough. Told him some tips. He didn't have a bad Chun at all. I really, really hate mirror matches though (hence why I don't use any shoto :lol ).

Fun day so far =P

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I really wanna try some Roseball on PSN if anyone is up for it. Also, is it even possible if the lag is somewhat noticeable?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Soneet said:
:lol

I love the 1-line tips vs my 2 mains:

And only these 2 chars happens to have just 1 tip. :lol
I'm dying laughing here xD

haha sorry, dont have much experience with those match ups so its all i could remember working for me.

nilbog21

Banned
Yo kaako I almost forgot to mention; Nice games! it's fun to play someone who doesnt just play one char.

hope we can play again sometime ~_~

Kaako said:
I really wanna try some Roseball on PSN if anyone is up for it. Also, is it even possible if the lag is somewhat noticeable?

kaako you want to people to play as rose or are you rose? Anyway I'm up for a couple o'rounds.. PSN id: Biggz124 :D

Kaako

Felium Defensor
nilbog21 said:
Yo kaako I almost forgot to mention; Nice games! it's fun to play someone who doesnt just play one char.

hope we can play again sometime ~_~
Haha yup yup, great matches! I got my ass handed to me so much yesterday but it was so much fun.

Edit: i'll send you invite Tiger.

Top Bottom