• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Threi

notag
I think random is fixed to select chars that you use the least. I have so many alts and I almost NEVER get any of them when I use random.

Shady dealings capcom.

LakeEarth

I don't know if it picks one character over the others consistently. But when you sit down and hit random 10 times, you are going to get the same character 3-4 times and a couple others twice. On one day it'll love Rose and you never get Fuerte, the next day it'll love El Fuerte and you never get Rose.

And getting Dan 4 times sounds like heaven. Unlike using every other character, if you rape someone with Dan they are going to congratulate you rather than bitch at you. You get tons of props, and Dan really isn't that bad. His ultra is great, his short knee move is safe (and re-directs in the air, helps getting in on people who use normals as anti-airs) and his SRK has good priority (although not nearly the horizontal distance). Fierce punch into roundhouse kicks does damn good damage. He still sucks compared to all the other shotos, but he's not bad (FADC into ultra and more damage to his throw would help).

HiResDes

Rice-Eater said:
No, don't do it, there isn't anybody to play in the PC version
15.gif
I have the PC version, but my graphics card sucks worse than I thought can only get about 25FPS with everything on low. Though, I have my display at 1400 x 900 (my monitors native resolution).

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
HiResDes said:
I have the PC version, but my graphics card sucks worse than I thought can only get about 25FPS with everything on low. Though, I have my display at 1400 x 900 (my monitors native resolution).

You should turn off parallel rendering (what does that even do? I don't notice a difference other than a lower frame rate...), put particles and shadows to low. I was getting a solid 30fps on my D630 business class laptop.

Setting vsync on via your grfx card settings makes a difference as well.

Threi

notag
spamming lk dan kick is so awesome. I wish every char had a move like that.

I also like running around like an idiot and then pull off a random ex dan kick when they aren't expecting it :lol

HiResDes said:

Just turn the settings down, that's what I did because my graphics card also sucks(9500GT). I never planned to game on the PC, that's why I got such a shitty card. Then my PS3 dies and I kind of had no where else to go. Now I'm running SF4 at 1024x768 on my 1920x1080 monitor. I also have no AA and have a lot of other stuff turned off. But it's better that way to get a smooth framerate. But it does dip to 40-45 during the Ultra animation.

Threi said:
I think random is fixed to select chars that you use the least. I have so many alts and I almost NEVER get any of them when I use random.

Shady dealings capcom.

But Dan's my 3rd most used character after Fei and Cammy. I never get the people I don't use like Blanka or Dictator.

Threi said:
spamming lk dan kick is so awesome. I wish every char had a move like that.

I also like running around like an idiot and then pull off a random ex dan kick when they aren't expecting it :lol
the rare event I get to kill someone with Gadoken xx Supertaunt xx Ultra makes playing Dan so worth it.

Also catching fuckers with Shissho Buraiken when they like to low forward into Hado on block.

FindMyFarms said:
Make time homey! I work 40 hours a week and I'm taking 15 hrs in college :lol

I agree, you need dedication to improve. But I'm not young anymore. And I like to sleep.

I applaud you though, probably why you're soooo god like.

And I guess there wasn't any SSFIV news.

Threi

notag
Been trying to learn how to use the stick, i am terrible with it. The problem I am having is with the diagonals, I never seem to get the input i want. I always get a diagonal. Also: dashing and SRK/QCF motions are a bitch, but i am slowly learning them (thanks fuerte). Right now my fingers on the stick are similar to how i had them on the fightpad, with three fingers on a row of buttons, the only difference being that now i have my thumb on one of the buttons of the bottom row for quick throw/focus/taunting.

Its like having to relearn the game, jeez.

Also: I don't know how sticks are normally supposed to feel but this one seems to have a rather large deadzone. I don't know if that's normal. The stick mechanism is a Sanwa JLW.

Spiderjericho said:
I agree, you need dedication to improve. But I'm not young anymore. And I like to sleep.

I applaud you though, probably why you're soooo god like.

And I guess there wasn't any SSFIV news.

Lol it's nothing to applaud really. I used to do a wide variety of activities before sf4 came out, but now all my leisure time hobbies are consolidated into one - SF4 lol.

Having a family is way more impressive than anything sf4 related.

h3ro said:
I am now working Option Select into my everyday vocabulary.

As a Ryu player, I really have add that to my repertiore as well. It would really help with Bison and Rufus match up since people playing those two are always using the same moves to try and escape the wake up pressure.

Dizzy-4U said:
What option select does Ryu has?

For jump ins, it's Tatsu and SRK as far as I know. Daigo used it against Andre's Bison. Tatsu will catch up to a backwards teleport and DP beats Bison's stomp, scissors(I think), and will go through psycho crusher. That'd be a pretty useful tool for me to use since I face my fair share of Bison's online and they're always using those moves to try and escape.

Leunam

black_vegeta said:
What does option-select mean, I heard Chris Hu say it a few times during commentary

Say you're crouching. If you hold down back and hit LP+LK, two things will happen: you will either cr.lk if there was no throw or tech the throw if your opponent was trying to throw you. The game will choose which is the better end result, essentially.

LakeEarth

black_vegeta said:
What does option-select mean, I heard Chris Hu say it a few times during commentary
So basically, Daigo puts in an input, and what comes out depends on what the other guy does. This could be wrong but this is how I understood it : If you do a dragon punch motion fierce just before you hit the ground, Ryu will air-fierce if the opponent blocks, but do an SRK if the it whiffs (opponent does an invulnerable move).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL2zpySSymE

Threi

notag
Rice-Eater said:
For jump ins, it's Tatsu and SRK as far as I know. Daigo used it against Andre's Bison. Tatsu will catch up to a backwards teleport and DP beats Bison's stomp, scissors(I think), and will go through psycho crusher. That'd be a pretty useful tool for me to use since I face my fair share of Bison's online and they're always using those moves to try and escape.
Yeah i use bison's option selects against ryu all the ti-

oh wait.

ciD_Vain

Hey guys, I don't follow the whole Street Fighter scene so this may be a stupid question but... I was wondering if any professional players use the Fightpads as opposed to the sticks, or do all pros use sticks?

ciD_Vain said:
Hey guys, I don't follow the whole Street Fighter scene so this may be a stupid question but... I was wondering if any professional players use the Fightpads as opposed to the sticks, or do all pros use sticks?

There's a few pad players here and there. Pads are a lot more prominent in 3d fighters though.

And for the new page

FindMyFarms said:

ciD_Vain

Ok thanks. I was pretty curious as I'm a pad player myself and I think I'm a pretty good player. I've played with the sticks, but I just can't get used to them.

LakeEarth said:
So basically, Daigo puts in an input, and what comes out depends on what the other guy does. This could be wrong but this is how I understood it : If you do a dragon punch motion fierce just before you hit the ground, Ryu will air-fierce if the opponent blocks, but do an SRK if the it whiffs (opponent does an invulnerable move).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL2zpySSymE

Whoa, crazy. How long has this been known?

LakeEarth

Option selects in fighters have been around for a long long time. This specific one, I'm not sure but Daigo has been doing it all year.

Threi

notag
ciD_Vain said:
Ok thanks. I was pretty curious as I'm a pad player myself and I think I'm a pretty good player. I've played with the sticks, but I just can't get used to them.
I just got my stick, but I am still planning to use my pad often as well. Considering the pad Viper at seasons beatings, I think the skill has more to do with the player and not the input device.

If your thumbs can take it, then there is nothing wrong with a good pad.

Speaking of sticks i understand why mine is slightly tilted now. Its to prevent what has been happening to me with the diagonals due to the tilt of my hand. So I hold it properly now (as well as resting my palm higher up closer to the buttons) and it feels more natural.

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
I talked myself into making SF4 combos:

SF4 Biweekly TACV 01: Ryu

Everything should be explained in the transcript but in case i've missed anything or if something's unclear, please don't hesitate to ask either here or there.

P.S. What happens if Rufus does wakeup backdash?

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Solune said:
Thanks for posting the photos, it was awesome that you got to attend and share the vibe here.
On another note your blog is really cool and you have great taste in the asian ladies ;).

P.S I am jealous of your autographed TE stick by Daigo!

Thanks! Haunts, if you want to post my photos, I can send you them in one handy zip file so you don't have to download them individually off my blog. PM me if interested.

TimeKillr

Threi said:
I just got my stick, but I am still planning to use my pad often as well. Considering the pad Viper at seasons beatings, I think the skill has more to do with the player and not the input device.

If your thumbs can take it, then there is nothing wrong with a good pad.

Speaking of sticks i understand why mine is slightly tilted now. Its to prevent what has been happening to me with the diagonals due to the tilt of my hand. So I hold it properly now (as well as resting my palm higher up closer to the buttons) and it feels more natural.

Yeah, well the problem (even if there was a good pad viper at SB4) is the buttons. Try as you might, you can't plink on a pad, nor can you piano unless you hold it with your fingers on top with a 6-button pad. And even then, if you do hold it like that, there are other problems with pad stability. And forget doing all punches on a 6-button pad without a shortcut or holding it without your fingers on top.

There's a reason why most top players play stick. Pro pad players are VERY rare. The sensitivity, reaction time and precision just aren't there. :)

TimeKillr

Majestros said:
I talked myself into making SF4 combos:

SF4 Biweekly TACV 01: Ryu

Everything should be explained in the transcript but in case i've missed anything or if something's unclear, please don't hesitate to ask either here or there.

P.S. What happens if Rufus does wakeup backdash?

That was really cool to watch :) The stun with Akuma at the end was awesome.

I've been digging into the juggle system myself, and there's a lot of weird stuff you can do. Everybody who has a 2-hit air normal goes into free juggle on the 1st hit, and I've been looking into making some things with those.

With just juggle state analysis I've started doing things with Rufus I've never seen before (like Galactic Tornados after his target combo).

You know you could probably record with the PC version as well, using something that won't drop inputs and all.

And I don't get your other question. Is there something special with Rufus' backdash?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
that fucking honda combo.

(I bet Daigo could do it pretty easily)

Oh, and pad is way better than stick for directionals. Stick is better, but harder, for buttons.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Man, it's satisfying to be able to do something you never thought you'd be able to do.

I did Viper's hit confirm into sjc ultra in an online match today. Dude sent me a message afterwards, "what in the hell was that?" Glorious :lol

Can only do it from the left side of the screen though. For some reason I have issues with hitting uf from the right :|

LakeEarth

TimeKillr said:
And I don't get your other question. Is there something special with Rufus' backdash?
I think he's talking about the option select talk, and it's a good question. If Ryu goes for the option select air fierce / EX SRK, if Rufus/Bison backdashes, shouldn't that make Ryu whiff the SRK?

Top Bottom