• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Jazzy Network said:
Trying to learn Balrog. Any tips? I can do the ultra setup like half the time so I'm trying to get that down. Obviously crouch jab is good. Crouch and fierce for anti air. Any easy ways on how each dash punch works and what situations they're good for?

EDIT: Oh and who would be the best US players to look for videos for of Balrog? Preferably in tournies.

The U.S. Balrogs mentioned earlier are my picks also. Japanese Balrogs to look into are: Maeda Taisen, Pamyu. Only a few videos of each on youtube, but they have a completely different style than US Balrogs. I'm trying to model myself after their playstyles.

Threi

notag
Jazzy Network said:
Trying to learn Balrog. Any tips? I can do the ultra setup like half the time so I'm trying to get that down. Obviously crouch jab is good. Crouch and fierce for anti air. Any easy ways on how each dash punch works and what situations they're good for?

EDIT: Oh and who would be the best US players to look for videos for of Balrog? Preferably in tournies.
EX Rush upper. Learn it, love it.

that being said fuck balrog.

V_Arnold

Catfish, very good games!

I lol'd when I bumped into a friendly name in Championship, but at least I hold up pretty well, despite the fear of getting killed asap o_o...

Then you have turned the tide in the following Player Matches awesomely with Bison!

And Blanka: I really think I was not hopeless against him. Could counter his ultra 2-3 more times than I think I should have: the slap against the giant ball or the corner ex bk while the animation comes were surprisingly effective :D And I won rounds, omg.

Too bad every one of our match had 2 seconds of almost unbearable lag. Nothing before, nothing after, but 2 seconds in all of the rounds.. Blame ISP...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
nice games oldern ;)

damn it your viper pains me. gotta get used to low blocking that ground smash move, cost me a half bar every time :lol

can't believe you perfected me in the 2nd round of the championship! dear god.

I've just been having massive internet battles. I have a fibre 60Mb connection but my brand new 140 euro router apparently makes it work like dial up if anyone is connected to the wireless while I'm using the wired. SUX. Seems to work ok now but we started getting a bit laggy at the end. Lucky I was taking lag champ blanka!

and yeah, you weren't falling for blankas easy mode victories, much to my disappointment. getting slapped out of the ball is like getting slapped in the face. haha. I wasn't happy with my bison at the start, you started reading me pretty good. I have to spam more HK against her definitely.

h3ro

Playing Bison is such hard work. I feel like I'm doing double the work to get half the results. :/

Any tip for a beginner Bison against Shoto characters? I really struggle against projectile characters.

h3ro said:
Playing Bison is such hard work. I feel like I'm doing double the work to get half the results. :/

Any tip for a beginner Bison against Shoto characters? I really struggle against projectile characters.

Try mixing up using head stomp and devil reverse unless you're doing it REALLY late and thus putting yourself into position for a SRK or something. Basically, if you smell fireball, do either one (more headstomps than DR) until they stop, then try using devil reverse when they start trying to knock you out of it. That'll get them to stop spamming a ton if they're smart.

GAF, I have some videos that I would like you to critique if you have the time, mostly the three consecutive losses against Sagat.

I know I need to have less predictable jumps against him and for some reason I didn't block... at all. Also, on FADC'd blocked Spikes, I should've switched it up with a second spike or maybe an TK Strike. I was a little more reckless than I probably had to be but oh well. It's nice to get some extra eyes on losses.

Against Rose, Gief
Against Ryu, Sagat

Did you get your stick fixed at least? I would check for shorts in the lines if you haven't. I had something similar happen with my dual-modded stick that used a Mad Catz retro arcade stick PCB and it was a combination of the ground touching the line (for some damned reason, never figure out WHY it happened) and the PCB being wired to my cthulhu just a touch incorrectly.

V_Arnold

Lost Fragment said:
Hit me up on xbl if anybody wants some hot milf action.

So YOU were the Viper who crushed one of my friend's Viper on XBLA today! I knew it.
In the next few days, ill send you an invite (friend if list is not full), so we can have a proper Viper vs Viper : )

RS4-

I'm out of my sfiv retirement unless it's a tournament since I'm bored as hell.

Throw me a msg on Live if you want to play.

Threi

notag
h3ro said:

Don't get impatient and use headstomps from fullscreen (unsafe as hell)

Work your way in slowly with focus dash cancels and NEUTRAL jumps. If you have meter, ex scissors goes through fireballs when it is close to you (and goes fast enough to catch them before they recover)

Basically how you get in is up to you, but DONT blindly jump in and DONT headstomp from fullscreen (unless they are really stupid)

Anyways yeah I agree that playing bison (and pretty much charge characters in general except for Balrog) have it harder than everyone else. No reversals to mash out of blockstrings alone puts them at a disadvantage. Bison in particular has no move that cannot be stuffed. You pretty much have to rely on shenanigans to win, not a "get me out of jail free" shoryuken.

V_Arnold

Lost Fragment: Good games!

Your Viper, as I experienced, used a bit of the plainer combos than I do, but hell, it was quite effective. I was happy when I managed to win a few, and I knew that I had it coming when I got butchered in the other rounds : )

And at the other characters: at Ken, I just got lucky, omg. Gouken felt nice, but did not know which of Gen's kicks were armor breakers, and which werent.... Ryu was a misclick, I believed I have chosen Viper already, lol : )

And while the connection was so-so at the start, it started acting really wierd at the end...whatever I inputted, an srk motion came out. Parries with gouken, random srk-s with Ryu, and at one point, I did a succesful, while accidental HP->Super with Viper o_o

Thanks for playing - now I am gonna sleep -.-

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
V_Arnold said:
So YOU were the Viper who crushed one of my friend's Viper on XBLA today! I knew it.
In the next few days, ill send you an invite (friend if list is not full), so we can have a proper Viper vs Viper : )

If that was you I just played, I dunno if you could call that a proper Viper mirror since it was pretty laggy (on my end, at least) :lol But if you're all the way in Hungary, I'm surprised the connection was even that good. GGs, man.

edit: oop

Lost Fragment: Good games!

Your Viper, as I experienced, used a bit of the plainer combos than I do, but hell, it was quite effective. I was happy when I managed to win a few, and I knew that I had it coming when I got butchered in the other rounds : )

And at the other characters: at Ken, I just got lucky, omg. Gouken felt nice, but did not know which of Gen's kicks were armor breakers, and which werent.... Ryu was a misclick, I believed I have chosen Viper already, lol : )

And while the connection was so-so at the start, it started acting really wierd at the end...whatever I inputted, an srk motion came out. Parries with gouken, random srk-s with Ryu, and at one point, I did a succesful, while accidental HP->Super with Viper o_o

Thanks for playing - now I am gonna sleep -.-

Yeah, if I'm in a laggy game I usually don't even try to do a bunch of feint block strings and sjc stuff, 'cause 75% of the time the delay messes up my timing and I end up with ex tk.

V_Arnold

Lost Fragment said:
If that was you I just played, I dunno if you could call that a proper Viper mirror since it was pretty laggy (on my end, at least) :lol But if you're all the way in Hungary, I'm surprised the connection was even that good. GGs, man.

Yep, It was me. And the same lags appeared here too -.-

h3ro

Threi said:
Don't get impatient and use headstomps from fullscreen (unsafe as hell)

Work your way in slowly with focus dash cancels and NEUTRAL jumps. If you have meter, ex scissors goes through fireballs when it is close to you (and goes fast enough to catch them before they recover)

Basically how you get in is up to you, but DONT blindly jump in and DONT headstomp from fullscreen (unless they are really stupid)

Anyways yeah I agree that playing bison (and pretty much charge characters in general except for Balrog) have it harder than everyone else. No reversals to mash out of blockstrings alone puts them at a disadvantage. Bison in particular has no move that cannot be stuffed. You pretty much have to rely on shenanigans to win, not a "get me out of jail free" shoryuken.

Thanks for the tips.

Shot you a message on Live as well.

AZ Greg

GGs Relix.

I went to grab some food right after our matches and just saw your message. Your Chun is damn tough. Just wish we had a little better connection. Blocking hazanshous (sp?) on reaction is impossible. :(

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Has anyone tried playing SF4 on multiple PCs (not simultaneously) using the same GFW profile? I know your online stats are saved locally so I would assume that I can safely start a new championship run on my 2nd PC but I'd like to know beforehand so I don't lose the progress on my 1st PC.

Threi said:

I might be crazy but doesn't ex-scissors get you out of block strings? Pretty much all non-shoto characters have the issue of burning ex to get out of block strings and in my characters cases they're massivly unreliable (ex-tornado grab) or net you no damage (ex-oga, though that does have the plus of getting you completely safe). On top of that charge characters can generally be huge issues for anybody without a fireballs. Bison's safeness and fearsome roundhouse makes him really frustrating to fight with Able or Gen. I really don't think chargers have it harder than anybody else... (well, I'll give you Vega)

What I'd give for Gen dragon-kick to actually reverse anything (hells, even throws) or Abel's EX-tornado to hit any ground attack exactly like a DP apart from the only way to avoid it is to jump as opposed to blocking.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
AZ Greg said:
GGs Relix.

I went to grab some food right after our matches and just saw your message. Your Chun is damn tough. Just wish we had a little better connection. Blocking hazanshous (sp?) on reaction is impossible. :(

Yeah those two bars are really annoying. I checked everything and nothing was running so it was definitely distance. At least it's somewhat playable though I know if the connection was better we would have gone even or more. I did discover tonight that the Hazan Shous (i have no idea I spell it different every day) go over Vega's claws so that makes me feel better :lol . Sorry for spamming them, i love doing the stick motion haha.

Great games though

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
_dementia said:
i'm having an identity crisis
there isn't a character i really like :/
can't settle on a main wtf do i do?
I was like that for a while. Did the shoto thing all my life, so I wanted to do a charge character for a change. In the end, I think Balrog/Boxer s the most fun to play and he looks the best so that's who I main now. Other than Sagat, I don't find any of the other characters fun to play...at all.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
DaCocoBrova said:
I was like that for a while. Did the shoto thing all my life, so I wanted to do a charge character for a change. In the end, I think Balrog/Boxer s the most fun to play and he looks the best so that's who I main now. Other than Sagat, I don't find any of the other characters fun to play...at all.

I think he looks like garbage turds, but that's still a huge improvement over his SFII sprites.

Been having problems playing this on PC. Last week, I kept getting bad pool something BSODs. At first, I thought it was a bad driver, but I only need a driver for my video card, sound card and ugh that's it.

I then uninstalled it and reinstalled it again. It worked for about 30 minutes.

Not sure if it's a Windows 7 x64 problem or something else.

Guess Tekken is the new hotness but I won't abandon the game of forever.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
h3ro said:

yeah I feel that, I've never hit an ultra online at all unless it was an 'oh shit I'm screwed anyway' wakeup ultra.

Threi gave you good advice. slooowly get close to the shotos. bison is great up close. try and bait out those SRKs when corner trapping them and then murder on them for a bit. if you make them scared to SRK you can get lot's of stuff.

Escaped crossups with the teleport. Works wonders.

Also Europlayers on 360 don't forget to send a FR to Gafeurobrawlers

we're 10 strong now with some nice non laggy games, would like to pump those numbers up a bit. Also suitable for the common T6 release which sounds like it might have crap netcode, so all the better for close connections.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Spiderjericho said:
Been having problems playing this on PC. Last week, I kept getting bad pool something BSODs. At first, I thought it was a bad driver, but I only need a driver for my video card, sound card and ugh that's it.

I then uninstalled it and reinstalled it again. It worked for about 30 minutes.

Not sure if it's a Windows 7 x64 problem or something else.

Guess Tekken is the new hotness but I won't abandon the game of forever.

i play on windows 7 x64 without hitch.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Timedog said:

Can you change the video options without it crashing? My specs on my laptop should play the game easily, but anything I try to change to a fixed framerate auto-CTD when I leave the option.

I wish Capcom would give an idea how to fix this.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
arstal said:
Can you change the video options without it crashing? My specs on my laptop should play the game easily, but anything I try to change to a fixed framerate auto-CTD when I leave the option.

I wish Capcom would give an idea how to fix this.

yeah i can do everything without crashing.

MCD

Did a quick test with retail Windows 7 64bit + ATI 9.10 drivers and noticed no issue.

so your problem could be with Nvidia Windows 7 64bit drivers.

Wizpig

_dementia said:
I'm starting to like Sagat a lot.
brr.gif

Timedog said:

Hmm. Well, I'll try uninstalling all of my drivers (the two of them) and install them again. Everything else works except for SFIV. I also wish you didn't have to have the disc in the DVD drive. I understand the reasoning but annoying nonetheless.

And I like the pictures you can take with PC version, especially with the graphics enhancements.

If I can get the game working again, I'll post pics in the PC hi-res thread. Dan ftw.

Natural

catfish said:
yeah I feel that, I've never hit an ultra online at all unless it was an 'oh shit I'm screwed anyway' wakeup ultra.

Threi gave you good advice. slooowly get close to the shotos. bison is great up close. try and bait out those SRKs when corner trapping them and then murder on them for a bit. if you make them scared to SRK you can get lot's of stuff.

Escaped crossups with the teleport. Works wonders.

Also Europlayers on 360 don't forget to send a FR to Gafeurobrawlers

we're 10 strong now with some nice non laggy games, would like to pump those numbers up a bit. Also suitable for the common T6 release which sounds like it might have crap netcode, so all the better for close connections.

Sweeeeet, i'll send a FR to that 'Tag when i'm next on. Will be nice to get some games with some Gaffers from Europe.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I think the filters look like shit.

Have you guys tried right clicking on the program file for the game, going to the security tab, and setting the game to run in compatibility mode with an older OS like vista or XP.

Now that I think about it, changing the FPS, and fixed frame rate do absolutely nothing on my game, so maybe that's why it doesn't cause a problem on my machine.

LakeEarth

_dementia said:
That's a cool picture
I love it when you accidentally do the air grab, and your opponent just so happened to be jumping at that moment. Makes you look psychic instead of looking like a guy with poor execution.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
LakeEarth said:
I love it when you accidentally do the air grab, and your opponent just so happened to be jumping at that moment. Makes you look psychic instead of looking like a guy with poor execution.
I love punishing Ruy's Tatsus with it. Doesn't require too strict input so it's viable online too. Feel like I should be twirling my frenchie mustache every time I pull it.

Top Bottom