• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

TimeKillr

With Abel I do 1-frame links consistently (not to Ultra though, since he has none). :)

But yeah, it's cute and stuff, but not that practical.

From basic reading of the frame data, Cammy and Blanka also have some (Cammy off her c.HP!)

Totakeke

TimeKillr said:
With Abel I do 1-frame links consistently (not to Ultra though, since he has none). :)

But yeah, it's cute and stuff, but not that practical.

From basic reading of the frame data, Cammy and Blanka also have some (Cammy off her c.HP!)

Step kick to s.hp (1-frame) to cod to fadc c.hp to ultra is a big big ultra combo if you can pull it off consistently. That's pretty much the easiest way to do cod to fadc without trying random cod or them making a mistake.

TimeKillr

LakeEarth said:
That's 1-frame? Had no idea, I do it all the time :lol

It's 2 1-frame links, actually. :)

The first is the step kick -> Dash, which you must do on the very first available frame, then the s.HP, which is another 1-frame link from the dash.

h3ro

_dementia said:
at least you've got st.rh and perfect teeth.

And the best Japanese voice over for his Ultra.

HASHI MASHI MASHI GAAAA GASHI GASHI YAMAMAMAMAMAAAAAAAAAAA

Translation:
Fuck yo' couch, son! Fuck yo' couch!!!!

Not SF4 related.. but thought it was a cool box art for the US

230640b.jpg

RoboJ said:
:(

I'm kinda getting fed up with Dictator. His inability to turn around a match is starting to get really old. Your opponent has to fail completely, again and again, in order for you to score a decent comeback.

Agreed.

I restorted to getting off the Dictator's sack and going with Boxer and Viper. Last night I fought a decent Akuma. I was down in the final round and was able to use a BnB combo into ultra to win the match with Balrog. That would have been difficult with Dictator in my opinion.

The plain fact, I stink with Dictator. :-(

TimeKillr said:

Big difference being you can Plink Abel's 1-frames, while you can't plink the ultra.

_dementia said:
good shit managing the realtime tourney, FMF

Yo thanks homey! Sorry you couldn't connect on your last match. You actually won the coin flip btw :lol :lol

Threi

notag
black_vegeta said:
Agreed.

I restorted to getting off the Dictator's sack and going with Boxer and Viper. Last night I fought a decent Akuma. I was down in the final round and was able to use a BnB combo into ultra to win the match with Balrog. That would have been difficult with Dictator in my opinion.

The plain fact, I stink with Dictator. :-(
I tried out boxer for some matches and I was in awe at how easy some of the shit i see pros do are to use. Using them properly in the right context takes thinking, yes (same can be said of every character though - its learning what your char can and can't do), but he barely requires any real skill in terms of execution. Yes I am putting that out right now. You don't even need FADC with him, EX Rush Upper does the same thing with 1 bar to spare. Links are crazy easy, shenanigans with proper spacing, and a crouching jab that is as effective as a SRK :lol

Man just thinking if the time i spent using dictator went into using boxer...

That being said fuck boxer, im still part of the Bison legion. Purple army 4 lyfe. I get my wins with him, he is definitely harder to use, but you just fix your playstyle to suit the opponent and outhink them, which is more important than using a better char.

Threi said:
I tried out boxer for some matches and I was in awe at how easy some of the shit i see pros do are to use. Using them properly in the right context takes thinking, yes (same can be said of every character though - its learning what your char can and can't do), but he barely requires any real skill in terms of execution. Yes I am putting that out right now. You don't even need FADC with him, EX Rush Upper does the same thing with 1 bar to spare. Links are crazy easy, shenanigans with proper spacing, and a crouching jab that is as effective as a SRK :lol

Man just thinking if the time i spent using dictator went into using boxer...

That being said fuck boxer, im still part of the Bison legion. Purple army 4 lyfe. I get my wins with him, he is definitely harder to use, but you just fix your playstyle to suit the opponent and outhink them, which is more important than using a better char.

Purple army 4 lyfe, :lol. Well fuck, call me Private BV in his evil army.

Yes, Boxer is for teh easy. Now, some reason I have a urge to "master" Viper's difficult ass. I think watching Marn and Uryo wreck shit with her was the deal breaker for me. Her endless amount of possibilities are just mouth watering. Especially when I'm beating some punkass shoto.

LakeEarth

RoboJ said:
:(

I'm kinda getting fed up with Dictator. His inability to turn around a match is starting to get really old. Your opponent has to fail completely, again and again, in order for you to score a decent comeback.
Last night I had the best comeback ever, but it was against a Dictator (with Honda). He had me down to a sliver, he was still at perfect, he did a headstomp which failed to kill me, and then went to chip me with the second hit move where I EX headbutted it away. I jump in and stuff whatever he tried to do to me into a a.fp -> HHS -> roundhouse kick. Since I was a chip away from death I jump back, which was the right move because he goes for scissor kicks which miss, I jump back again, then follows up with the slide which I ultra once I hit the ground (just before reaching me). Now he's down to a sliver too, and I jump up and smack his wake-up air stomp away for the win. So satisfying.

FMF, what do you mean by Plink again?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
TimeKillr said:
Yay Chun - you guys are gonna like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WzyXRlM65M

I wonder how many more we'll discover this way.

Basically, meaty Jab (crouch or far) links to Ultra.

Normal crouch jab or far jab is +6, 2 active frames.

Chun's Ultra has 7 activation frames

Hit the jab on the 2nd active frame, and voila, you have +7 frame advantage, so you can link to Ultra.
You can just omit the jabs in that first combo and give yourself less damage scaling, because j+HP, HP hit confirms directly into Ultra without much difficulty. The standing link is much more useful if you're going to attempt it.

LakeEarth said:
FMF, what do you mean by Plink again?

Input is pretty much a kara. You press fp ~ mp (but don't let go of fp) if you go to the training mode, inputs read as FP, then FP + MP, which gives you back to back FP inputs essentially making 1 frame links into 2 framers.

edit - fp ~ mp means you press mp 1 frame after you press fp, which is why it's like a kara

When doing a plink, you always kara into the normal weaker than it. So for fk, you plink into mk, for mk you plink into lk, same for the punches. For lp you plink into lk, and for lk you can't plink it.

>>Here's the SRK thread on it<<

LakeEarth said:
Thanks, I'll try to put that into my daily Abel workings. To bad it won't work for lp links, would help a ton with Honda.

True that. Try plinking the fp after f+mk w/ Abel, you'll be surprised how easy it becomes.

Oh for lp links, you do lp ~ lk. Lk is the only normal you can't plink. I'd imagine you'd be doing some finger gymnastics going from a plinked lp to HHS though.

LakeEarth

The only reason I wish my parents got me piano lessons instead of guitar lessons would be for better HHS activation control (and general finger gymnastics).

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
TimeKillr said:
Yay Chun - you guys are gonna like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WzyXRlM65M

I wonder how many more we'll discover this way.

Basically, meaty Jab (crouch or far) links to Ultra.

Normal crouch jab or far jab is +6, 2 active frames.

Chun's Ultra has 7 activation frames

Hit the jab on the 2nd active frame, and voila, you have +7 frame advantage, so you can link to Ultra.

Holy shit I messed around with this stuff but never pulled it out. Now I see how it's correctly done :lol

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Relix said:
Holy shit I messed around with this stuff but never pulled it out. Now I see how it's correctly done :lol
What is it that makes that a "meaty" jab? I thought "meaty" referred to attacking on wakeup

FindMyFarms said:
Oh for lp links, you do lp ~ lk.
oh man i didnt know that

HiResDes

Been playing a lot of Remix lately, seems all of the good players left...Either that or Honda on Remix is like ten times better than Honda in SFIV. I've been whooping ass,except against good Ken's, not even Ryu's have been able to stop me.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
bistromathics said:
What is it that makes that a "meaty" jab? I thought "meaty" referred to attacking on wakeup

oh man i didnt know that

yeah meaty doesn't make sense. I think what happened was that she was far enough away from opponent that the jab didn't actually hit until later in the animation, which caused the hitstun to trigger later than normal, which gave her enough recovery time to link the ultra.

TimeKillr

bistromathics said:

oh man i didnt know that

A meaty attack is an attack that hits on the 2nd or more active frame.

In this case, there's three levels of meaty, since the jab has 3 active frames, so you can meaty on frame 2 or 3.

Typically you can only meaty when someone's getting up (it's this way in most games) but in SF4 there are some hitbox-related problems (they are not consistent and move around quite a bit when characters are in hitstun) that cause this sort of meaty to happen. Normally there's no reason to be able to meaty this sort of stuff, but the hitbox waves back and forth and thus the jab hits meaty because the hitbox wasn't there on the 1st active frame but moved towards Chun on the 2nd or 3rd active frame of the jab.

Timedog said:
yeah meaty doesn't make sense. I think what happened was that she was far enough away from opponent that the jab didn't actually hit until later in the animation, which caused the hitstun to trigger later than normal, which gave her enough recovery time to link the ultra.

This is the exact definition of a meaty attack: something that hits on the 2nd or later active frame. :)

AFAIK SF4 is the only game where a non-wakeup meaty can happen.

Caj814

SoulFist said:
Whoa, is it common knowledge that Fei Long can combo into his ultra from a jumping roundhouse?

It is,it's just trying to connect it plus hit confirming it properly in a real match.So it's not too practical for most players.:lol

SoulFist

Ah I see. Some dude hit me with it in a player match and I was like "Say whaaaa." So I hopped on training mode to try it out. Seems like Rufus can do it too with his jumping HP.

qcf x2

SoulFist said:
Ah I see. Some dude hit me with it in a player match and I was like "Say whaaaa." So I hopped on training mode to try it out. Seems like Rufus can do it too with his jumping HP.

I think most characters can do that. Rose, Sakura, Ken(I think), Fei Long, Cammy...if it isn't a grab ultra or a projectile ultra, it should be able to connect with strict timing.

LakeEarth

Caj814 said:
It is,it's just trying to connect it plus hit confirming it properly in a real match.So it's not too practical for most players.:lol
Works well when you know the jumpkick will hit, if they're recovering from a fireball or whatever. Works for Dan too.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Got drunk. Played championship mode. Picked random.

What I learned from this experiment is that there's a lot of insecure people who play SF4 on XBL. I got an inordinate amount of people talking shit after they kicked my ass compared to usual. How unhappy with your personal life are you to have to make yourself feel good by talking shit after beating a stranger in a video game? :lol

Random is fun though.

Lost Fragment said:
Got drunk. Played championship mode. Picked random.

What I learned from this experiment is that there's a lot of insecure people who play SF4 on XBL. I got an inordinate amount of people talking shit after they kicked my ass compared to usual. How unhappy with your personal life are you to have to make yourself feel good by talking shit after beating a stranger in a video game? :lol

Random is fun though.

Hmm... I only talk shit when I lose.

CPS2

Kadey said:
Thanks Hito or was it someone else?, that gave me an idea to do this Chun combo. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-TI2uSFEZA

Whoa that's a really nice combo! I've been trying to add more fadcs for chun and dash legs into my game, this might actually be practical.

it's 5 bars though! unfortunately I don't think it's possible to land the EX SBK in a match. the reason people rip on combos with more than 4 bars, is because once you break that rule, there's lots of easy infinites

FindMyFarms said:
Oh for lp links, you do lp ~ lk. Lk is the only normal you can't plink. I'd imagine you'd be doing some finger gymnastics going from a plinked lp to HHS though.

I would've thought this doesn't work because LP+LK=throw. So if you miss your chance to hit LP, there's no point in plinking into throw. But you can plink into cr.LK (cr.LK~LP) because cr.LP+LK=cr.LK.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
UC1 said:
Whoa that's a really nice combo! I've been trying to add more fadcs for chun and dash legs into my game, this might actually be practical.
Eh, combo FADCs are largely a waste of meter with Chun. They're ok in some situations after Kikoukens but they don't help you at all with Hyakuretsu, SBK, or Hazanshu.

it's 5 bars though! unfortunately I don't think it's possible to land the EX SBK in a match. the reason people rip on combos with more than 4 bars, is because once you break that rule, there's lots of easy infinites
It's probably for the best anyway. Damage scaling kicks in pretty hard by then and the Ultra doesn't add much. Same situation with Chun's Hard Trial 5, really.

CPS2

Hitokage said:
Eh, combo FADCs are largely a waste of meter with Chun. They're ok in some situations after Kikoukens but they don't help you at all with Hyakuretsu, SBK, or Hazanshu.

Basically there's some blocked strings which are not punishable by anything (from many different characters), and all you can really do is MP->kikkoken. It gets predictable, and I've found that it's not a bad idea to MP->kikkoken->FADC->sweep_hazanshu. And for 4 bars if you can combo an ultra in that situation, sounds good to me. I play a meterless chun, basically I replace where most people do HK>EX legs with cr.HP>medium bird (more damage), and end up having enough meter to waste on stuff like this.

UC1 said:
I would've thought this doesn't work because LP+LK=throw. So if you miss your chance to hit LP, there's no point in plinking into throw.

Not exactly sure what you're saying here but if you do Lp~lk input reads as lp, then lp + lk but since lp comes first there's no way a throw registers.

Mr Jared

UC1 said:

Chun-Li FADC'ing into anything is completely impractical. Unless you really need some sort of clutch mix-up, there's no advantage for her that comes at the cost of two sets of EX Legs. She pretty much lives and dies by it. Fireball > FADC is about the best you've got but you know what beats that? EX anything else. You risk an easy EX Shoryuken or headbutt to the face if they see the setup.

I play a meterless chun, basically I replace where most people do HK>EX legs with cr.HP>medium bird (more damage), and end up having enough meter to waste on stuff like this.

1175838835726.gif

Mr Jared said:
Chun-Li FADC'ing into anything is completely impractical. Unless you really need some sort of clutch mix-up, there's no advantage for her that comes at the cost of two sets of EX Legs. She pretty much lives and dies by it. Fireball > FADC is about the best you've got but you know what beats that? EX anything else. You risk an easy EX Shoryuken or headbutt to the face if they see the setup.

1175838835726.gif

Yeah setup from knockdown off ex legs is huge for chun.

BTW you were asking about the background between Fanatiq vs. Toan mvc2 26k money match. Fanatiq and Toan got into words over who was better on SRK. Fanatiq was riding the fact that he made evo top 8 twice while Toan only made it once and had a tendency to lose some high profile money matches. Well smack talk turned into $$ lay down, and fanatiq is friends with Hevad Khan, the guy that made the final table for poker at WSOP 2 years ago. Hevad pretty much just wants to see action no matter what, so backed all of Fanatiqs bets with a set payout, which Toan matched everything of. Toan won and you know the rest.

CPS2

FindMyFarms said:
Not exactly sure what you're saying here but if you do Lp~lk input reads as lp, then lp + lk but since lp comes first there's no way a throw registers.

The whole point of a plink is that if you hit the first part too early (LP) then you can still register the 2nd part (LK) and the first move comes out, except in this case it's just a throw. Basically you can't plink using a command that would be throw, FA or taunt, because only the first input will register as a normal move, so there's no point in plinking if you only get one chance to hit the normal move.

Mr Jared said:

It is just a mixup (probably at longer range than you'd think, it's not really SRK/headbutt range), and I'd only do it with 3-4 bars. Also, I replace cr.LKx2>EX legs with cr.LPx3>HP (more damage, less meter again). I'm fine with 1 bar for the most part, the only things Chun really needs meter for is ex legs in the corner, and ex hazan shu through fireballs n stuff (imo).

Top Bottom