• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Threi said:
What's worse is when you suck for so long that you get used to it, and essentially forget how the game is played.

I was looking at my old vids (which was when I was just starting to get the hang of bison) and I realized half of the stuff I did I couldn't do right now.

I guess bob_arctor has the right idea to just give up on SF4 and wait until SSF4 drops for a fresh start.
I just couldn't do it any more--too much time and dedication and also tons of frustration. It was killing the rest of my gaming life and raising my blood pressure in the process. And yeah, I'll suck bad when SSF4 drops but I at least won't be burned out and will once again welcome the punishment.

Right now playing VF5 online is just perpetual losing but damn if Eileen isn't fucking dope. Only SF can piss me off as much as it does and it's always been that way for me.

qcf x2

Nice to see Daigo actually give extended commentary to his loyal underlings. That's instantly one of my favorite interviews ever. But I did think "uh oh!" when I read his comments on SF4. Maybe hearing it from him will mean the SF4 defense team will lower their shields and ponder. Hmmm...

Edit: @ bob, you down for some 3s today on 2df? I have been contemplating a return to the scene.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
qcf x2 said:
Nice to see Daigo actually give extended commentary to his loyal underlings. That's instantly one of my favorite interviews ever. But I did think "uh oh!" when I read his comments on SF4. Maybe hearing it from him will mean the SF4 defense team will lower their shields and ponder. Hmmm...

Edit: @ bob, you down for some 3s today on 2df? I have been contemplating a return to the scene.
Can't do it--taking my mom out for her bday then I'm crashing at her house with the fam. I generally suck ass @ meeting up online sadly. :-(

KajunW

Wizpig said:
Did he ever play Virtua Fighter too?
He mentions Tekken, but imagine some Daigo-like skilled player in a refined game like VF.

Good interview, and he pretty much nails what the point is with SF 4.

He doesn't play VF, but VF has its own top level players. Chibita is (or was, at least) considered top player I believe, to the point where he is dubbed 'God of VF'.

Like Daigo, I think a guard crush system is missing. Having such a system gives players more incentive to be offensive.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
bob_arctor said:
Don't feel bad. I've stopped playing since September and have no desire to return. I've actually picked up VF5 again for my fighting fix. SSF4 will bring me back though.

Yeah it sucks, especially when it's a loss only because of an execution error, but I swore off controller play, so battling 15+ years of controller experience sucks, but I wanna do it...

Threi said:
What's worse is when you suck for so long that you get used to it, and essentially forget how the game is played.

I was looking at my old vids (which was when I was just starting to get the hang of bison) and I realized half of the stuff I did I couldn't do right now.

I guess bob_arctor has the right idea to just give up on SF4 and wait until SSF4 drops for a fresh start.

I see what you mean - sometimes I see myself just playing pure on instincts instead of planning ahead or setting things up - no more "if he does this, then I can do this" like I used to, even punishing people's mistake turn out to be simple things that don't capitalize huge damage opportunities like I used to do...

A friend of mine asked me to play later today, so it'll be the moment of truth this evening...

I thought the big defense against Guard Crush is that it makes some frame traps too powerful *looks at TAIGA KNEE* for certain characters to deal with?

I think it would be cool to have a guard break as long as there's ways to deal with it for everyone.

qcf x2

KajunW said:
Like Daigo, I think a guard crush system is missing. Having such a system gives players more incentive to be offensive.

I had a longer post ready, but this is much more succinct:

Would you be in favor that if it comes at the expense of the long block strings that are already in SF4? Because those are annoying as shit when you don't have Ryu/Ken's shoryuken. Annoying. As. Shit.

And why do people want SF to be entirely offense? Leave that to the crossover games.

KajunW said:
He doesn't play VF, but VF has its own top level players. Chibita is (or was, at least) considered top player I believe, to the point where he is dubbed 'God of VF'.

They bring back Guard crush system then i want air blocks.

KajunW

qcf x2 said:
I had a longer post ready, but this is much more succinct:

Would you be in favor that if it comes at the expense of the long block strings that are already in SF4? Because those are annoying as shit when you don't have Ryu/Ken's shoryuken. Annoying. As. Shit.

And why do people want SF to be entirely offense? Leave that to the crossover games.

I think that also depends on the length of the guard crush bar. You don't want it be so short that you get guard crushed after 2 block strings, but at the same time, it has to be short enough to not let players be content and defend all day, so to speak.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm thinking more like CVS2 type of bar than Alpha 3 type of bar. I don't know the exact hitpoints, so I might be wrong here.

I don't necessarily want it to be "entirely offense", but just a little bit more offensive. CVS (or do you only mean Marvel when you talk about crossover games?) was not all about offense, but I guess roll cancel had quite alot to do with that.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Wizpig said:
He mentions Tekken, but imagine some Daigo-like skilled player in a refined game like VF.

Good interview, and he pretty much nails what the point is with SF 4.

Purely 2d. He once said his favorite fighters are SFIV and Vampire Hunter. Add in MVSC2 and CVS2 and I basically agree.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So last night, again, I only fought like two Ryu players and one Ken. The rest were pretty diverse. What's going on? :lol

Seems to be a lot more Fei-Long players now (because of Wong?) and also more Chuns than usual.

KajunW

Kadey said:
Purely 2d. He once said his favorite fighters are SFIV and Vampire Hunter. Add in MVSC2 and CVS2 and I basically agree.

In the recent Alphaism podcast he said his favourite fighters were (1) Super Turbo (2) Alpha 3. He likes SF4, but does not like 3S anymore.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Hey FMF, I remember you posting about being able to do ex seismo into sjc fadc ultra all day, so help me out here. I can do pretty much every other thing Viper can do pretty reliably, but I can't do this shit. Like once out of every 10 tries I'll get it. The sjc fadc isn't the problem, since I can tack that onto fff without having to worry about screwing it up most of the time. It's that I have to input the 2x qcf so fast after the fadc. Is there some trick to doing it that I can't figure out or something, or do I just have some mental block?

Lyte Edge said:
So last night, again, I only fought like two Ryu players and one Ken. The rest were pretty diverse. What's going on? :lol

Seems to be a lot more Fei-Long players now (because of Wong?) and also more Chuns than usual.

u must have temporarily transported yourself in some magical alternate universe. Last night, I fought 20 shotos (15 out of 20 of em all sucked :-/)

Lyte Edge

BotoxAgent said:
u must have temporarily transported yourself in some magical alternate universe. Last night, I fought 20 shotos (15 out of 20 of em all sucked :-/)

Second time it's happened (this was on the PS3 version) in championship. Afterwards I did some player matches and got a flowchart Ken player to balance things back out. Poor guy was having difficulties throwing fireballs.

Mœbius

Wizpig said:
Probably the closest person to that in the VF world is (was) Chibita - a Lion player. Not sure if he's still top dog in Japan but for a time he was the greatest stretching from VF2 to VF4.

Lyte Edge said:
Second time it's happened (this was on the PS3 version) in championship. Afterwards I did some player matches and got a flowchart Ken player to balance things back out. Poor guy was having difficulties throwing fireballs.
Those are the best. Just watching them struggle trying to do a simple fireball at the other end of the screen and they end up doing crouching uppercuts. I just taunt them, :lol

Man, I played a mean Sagat yesterday. Resets all day on me, it was sad. I was licking my chops thinking it would be another scrub Sagat that my Rog could rip apart, I was wrong.

Lyte Edge

black_vegeta said:
Those are the best. Just watching them struggle trying to do a simple fireball at the other end of the screen and they end up doing crouching uppercuts. I just taunt them, :lol

The lone Ken player I foughtin Championship was like that. He kept just jumping backwards, "mixing it up" with an occasional jumping RH, crouching RH. I taunted him at the end and he taunted back, and which point I threw a fireball and ended it. :lol

Best match of the night was against a really good Seth player. He had me perfected, and then I somehow came back with only a pixel of life remaining and beat him. That's never happened before.

Rektash

Grml, after nearly 400 hours played, I still can t do shit against Blanka online. I know the matchup is supposed to be greatly in Balrogs favor but that doesn t count shit online. Most of the time I crouch in fear of the slide, which I can t react to online. I can t even try to zone because standing up = getting slided. Not to zone isn t a good idea either because than jumping Blanka madness sets in and you guessed right, because of Blankas fast jumps AAs won t work and you ll eat jump in after jump in - if you block you ll just eat a tick throw instead - because teching is 50/50 online, sometimes it works, othertimes not so much. Sometimes i whish they would just remove Blanka and Gief from online :lol !

tldr: RANDOM RANTING!

black_vegeta said:
Man, I played a mean Sagat yesterday. Resets all day on me, it was sad. I was licking my chops thinking it would be another scrub Sagat that my Rog could rip apart, I was wrong.

Just curious, which resets did he do?

AZ Greg

Just recently started playing more championship mode (I just usually play with friends, GAF, SRK) and made it to G1 today. Couple thoughts, maybe I was expecting more, but the competition isn't as stiff as I was expecting. I even ran into a couple of players around 50K and they weren't much better than the players I was just facing right before getting into G1. That said, players seem to be less random, at least from what I've played so far, which is nice.

Also, all this time I figured you'd get a huge amount of points for winning a G1 final, maybe around 500. I figured it had to be that way since a good amount of my friends have 30-40K+, but then I won my first one and only got like 170. Jeez. It also makes me wonder how some people who aren't very good got so many points considering you don't get a decent amount unless you make championship and even then it isn't much.

Threi

notag
i feel dirty for saying this, but damn i love playing as balrog. learning bison's links make balrog's so easy :D

hit confirming into his super = so good

*edit* Gief + Lag = scary

*edit2* wow some guy is screaming at me over the mike because of my fuerrrte :lol

Threi said:
i feel dirty for saying this, but damn i love playing as balrog. learning bison's links make balrog's so easy :D

hit confirming into his super = so good

*edit* Gief + Lag = scary

*edit2* wow some guy is screaming at me over the mike because of my fuerrrte :lol

Purple army 4 lyfe my ass Threi, jk. Yeah mang, Rog is the shit. So much easier than Bison. I'll use Bison here and there, but I need to win my fight money.

Threi

notag
black_vegeta said:
Purple army 4 lyfe my ass Threi, jk. Yeah mang, Rog is the shit. So much easier than Bison. I'll use Bison here and there, but I need to win my fight money.
Better pokes (debatable, but standing roundhose seems damn good to me), hits harder, has more hp, can easily combo into ultra, better anti-air (both charge and normal), safer moves (if used right), easier links...

His focus attack is TERRIBLE though.

Threi said:
Better pokes (debatable, but standing roundhose seems damn good to me), hits harder, has more hp, can easily combo into ultra, better anti-air (both charge and normal), safer moves (if used right), easier links...

His focus attack is TERRIBLE though.

Agreed, his focus attack is ass.

i'm struggling to play this after 2 weeks of CoD, can't connect ex. srk to ultra for ken :(.

and don't mention viper right now, I feel ashamed that I can't do her bnb's : /.

http://www.youtube.com/user/showgun00#p/u/5/773wW5TZ9ag

Japan dominated Korea. Kyabetsu (Japanese Viper) almost OCV'd the team by himself. Not to say the Korean players aren't good (they are), but the only one who seemed to be able to hang with Japan was Infiltration.

I just reinstalled Windows and SFIV on my desktop. Hopefully, it doesn't crash:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...71/18442037/Major_Problems_with_PC_SF4_Relase

It kind of sucks that Capcom didn't patch the game.

Also, I thought the Madcatz sale was aiight. I would have been nice if everything was discounted, as I would've definitely got a MVC2, Femme Fatale, Comicon Fightpad, etc.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
So I played SFIV tonight after at least two weeks off from the game - for the most part, I was at the level that I was prior to stopping, except for the annoying problem I had with executing Ultras when facing the left - I didn't have it THAT bad before, but tonight it was damn near impossible to perform an Ultra (charge or QCF) unless I put all of my concentration solely on doing it - cost me a few rounds which pissed me off greatly, but it was fun for the most part getting back into it once again...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Skilotonn said:
the annoying problem I had with executing Ultras when facing the left - I didn't have it THAT bad before, but tonight it was damn near impossible to perform an Ultra (charge or QCF) unless I put all of my concentration solely on doing it - c
Hm, I have more difficulty doing QCFx2 when facing right. I'm not sure what's wrong with me. It's so easy to do it quickly and accurately from the 2P side - just two back flicks of my wrist.

From the 1P side, however, I dunno, I feel like I have to push the stick forward in an awkward position, causing my speed and accuracy to suffer.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Spiderjericho said:
http://www.youtube.com/user/showgun00#p/u/5/773wW5TZ9ag

Japan dominated Korea. Kyabetsu (Japanese Viper) almost OCV'd the team by himself. Not to say the Korean players aren't good (they are), but the only one who seemed to be able to hang with Japan was Infiltration.

I just reinstalled Windows and SFIV on my desktop. Hopefully, it doesn't crash:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...71/18442037/Major_Problems_with_PC_SF4_Relase

It kind of sucks that Capcom didn't patch the game.

Also, I thought the Madcatz sale was aiight. I would have been nice if everything was discounted, as I would've definitely got a MVC2, Femme Fatale, Comicon Fightpad, etc.

For SFIV PC config.ini can be changed manually, just set your PC to show all files (it's hidden) and you can change it there. Not a real solution, but it works.

HOpefully the stuff you mentioned gets fixed in SSFIV PC- if it happens.

arstal said:
For SFIV PC config.ini can be changed manually, just set your PC to show all files (it's hidden) and you can change it there. Not a real solution, but it works.

HOpefully the stuff you mentioned gets fixed in SSFIV PC- if it happens.

I'll try that tomorrow. So far, so good (with setting it in the options). I played some games. Does it display the cutscenes for others when playing PC? I tried playing Arcade mode and didn't see them nor did I see them in gallery (I will admit to doing the unlock everything, but that should show the movies).

There was no activity in G3 championship on PC. It was terrible. I did play two different people in player matches. One ragequitted on me. The other beat me a few times when I played Dan (he picked, Sagat, Ryu and Dan. He lost the Dan battle badly).

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Spiderjericho said:
I'll try that tomorrow. So far, so good (with setting it in the options). I played some games. Does it display the cutscenes for others when playing PC? I tried playing Arcade mode and didn't see them nor did I see them in gallery (I will admit to doing the unlock everything, but that should show the movies).

There was no activity in G3 championship on PC. It was terrible. I did play two different people in player matches. One ragequitted on me. The other beat me a few times when I played Dan (he picked, Sagat, Ryu and Dan. He lost the Dan battle badly).

Yeah- G2 was where most of the action is. Not many G1's on PC

Top Bottom