• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Ever since I purchased a Tournament Edition stick my game, such as it is, has been horribly off. It as so bad I just stopped playing for a bit. I've mained with Blanka since I first started going online and encountered nothing but flow chart shoto's and Sagat's. I used to be able to do Blanka's ultra/super in my sleep, but now all I do is whiff it it. In fact I whiff a lot of his roll attacks. It's frustrating to lose to a flowchart shoto when I know I can punish that moveset.

It's fucking weird because I've dabbled with Bison over the months and I don't seem to whiff any of his moves when playing with a stick. Not playing the game and using my new stick consistently hasn't helped matters much. I'm not going back to a controller, I wanna be able to play as well with a stick as I could the controller by the time Super comes out. It's oddly comforting to read that I'm not the only one having problems adjusting.

imtehman

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Ever since I purchased a Tournament Edition stick my game, such as it is, has been horribly off. It as so bad I just stopped playing for a bit. I've mained with Blanka since I first started going online and encountered nothing but flow chart shoto's and Sagat's. I used to be able to do Blanka's ultra/super in my sleep, but now all I do is whiff it it. In fact I whiff a lot of his roll attacks. It's frustrating to lose to a flowchart shoto when I know I can punish that moveset.

It's fucking weird because I've dabbled with Bison over the months and I don't seem to whiff any of his moves when playing with a stick. Not playing the game and using my new stick consistently hasn't helped matters much. I'm not going back to a controller, I wanna be able to play as well with a stick as I could the controller by the time Super comes out. It's oddly comforting to read that I'm not the only one having problems adjusting.

yep, i've been a controller person up until i got a stick tw months ago

what's worse, i decided to train with c viper because i love her steeze.

took a while to adjust but now i can't go back to the controller.

I'm the complete opposite of you though. Once i got a stick, despite me getting owned because i wasn't used to it, it was like playing a new game all over again. I've played more because of the stick.

O.DOGG

I started using my new HRAP3 SA about a week ago. I can definitely see the advantages over playing with a 360 controller but man, talk about going back to square one!

akilshohen said:
After staring at this thread title for the better part of a year, I finally googled FADC...:lol :lol
I didn't even know that was possible
:lol :lol I never knew what it stand for either..I recently google Iit myself.. :lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
B1gg_Randall said:
:lol :lol I never knew what it stand for either..I recently google Iit myself.. :lol

hahaha i didn't know what it stood for til now either!!!

Anyone wanna play on PC?

Steaks

Hey whats up guys, just a reminder, NORTH EAST CHAMPIONSHIPS are NEXT WEEK. This is a MASSIVE tournament, 250+ entrants are already preregistered for SF4, and more often than not, more people enter than sign up. 300+ would not surprise me.

FADC will be doing a stream of the tournament, with commentary from the normal east coast players. I'll probably do BlazBlue top 8 commentary. Also, feel free to cheer me (and my special teammate, who has an account here), on! I'm a Sagat player, so don't discriminate because of that :D

MIMIC

Banned
I played Ryu a few times online. Such a solid character. TOO solid, if you ask me =p

I did the lp SRK > Ultra every chance I got. I felt so evil :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Rentahamster said:
Hm, I have more difficulty doing QCFx2 when facing right. I'm not sure what's wrong with me. It's so easy to do it quickly and accurately from the 2P side - just two back flicks of my wrist.

From the 1P side, however, I dunno, I feel like I have to push the stick forward in an awkward position, causing my speed and accuracy to suffer.

Crap, that's actually what I meant to say - when standing ON the left, not facing the left - so we have the same problem...

It's just so much easier to flick the stick around when facing left as you said - I guess I'll have to go sit and practice once again...

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Hitokage said:
SnowWolf: ggs man, if you had the jab to headbutt to ultra down you would have destroyed me. :(

Thanks, good games! I have a really hard time doing that BnB combo in a real match. I can do it 90% of the time in training mode :(

Nice to see you adapt to some of my shenanigans, I ate too many ultras in the face :lol

Threi

notag
MIMIC said:
I played Ryu a few times online. Such a solid character. TOO solid, if you ask me =p

I did the lp SRK > Ultra every chance I got. I felt so evil :lol
Wait until you realize that mashing lp SRK on defense is an extremely effective tactic...

It will make any losses you take against Ryu players using Fuerte much easier. You realise they don't have to work nearly as hard as you do :lol

There isn't a "real" tier list per say. There are Japan rankings and U.S. rankings.

Sagat and Ryu are probably high tier. Akuma, Zangief, Chun, Viper, Rufus and Boxer are mid high tier. Honda, Blanka, Seth, etc are mid tier. Dan is probably lame tier :(

The game is pretty balanced.

Here is a tier list from Eventhubs. Also, SRK probably has a tier list thread.

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/oct/17/street-fighter-4-tiers-character-rankings/

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=174600

Decent stream with good players Flash Metroid, Marn, etc. Chris Hu is on commentary.

@spider - you listed boxer twice :lol

Also I'd say Fuerte does pretty well against ryu. Matchup is definitely 5-5. Only shoto fuerte really struggles with is Akuma, who's one of his 3 worst matchups (along w/ rufus and cammy)

Lp srk mash with Ryu is only good online :/

FindMyFarms said:
@spider - you listed boxer twice :lol

Also I'd say Fuerte does pretty well against ryu. Matchup is definitely 5-5. Only shoto fuerte really struggles with is Akuma, who's one of his 3 worst matchups (along w/ rufus and cammy)

I must be punch drunk. And honestly, he should refer to "tier" lists, just keep in mind that fighting game tiers are always in flux. I remember when I first started playing TS. Three years later when I stopped playing, and there were major tourneys, Japan, etc, the top three characters changed.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Spiderjericho said:
There isn't a "real" tier list per say. There are Japan rankings and U.S. rankings.

Sagat and Ryu are probably high tier. Akuma, Zangief, Chun, Viper, Rufus and Boxer are mid high tier. Honda, Blanka, Seth, etc are mid tier. Dan is probably lame tier :(

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/oct/17/street-fighter-4-tiers-character-rankings/

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=174600

Decent stream with good players Flash Metroid, Marn, etc. Chris Hu is on commentary.

viper is god tier on the style and sexiness chart

-COOLIO- said:
viper is god tier on the style and sexiness chart

Nah, Vanessa, K', Kyo, Iori are high on the style chart.

Capcom messed up with Viper. They made her too modern or stylized, whereas all of the other characters are generic (even Juri to an extent).

ArjanN

Spiderjericho said:

Sagat and Ryu are probably high tier. Akuma, Zangief, Chun, Viper, Rufus and Boxer are mid high tier. Boxer, Honda, Blanka, Seth, etc are mid tier. Dan is probably lame tier :(

I'd say Seth is high tier, even with his low health. At least at high level play.

ArjanN said:
I'd say Seth is high tier, even with his low health. At least at high level play.

No doubt that Seth is a good character, but no one is winning tournaments with him. But he is definitely a monster with his combos, variety of attacks and shenanigans. He'd probably be the best character if he didn't have the lowest damage. It's usually Ryu, Rufus, Viper, Boxer, etc.

AZ Greg

Sorta releated to tier lists, but does anyone have friends who get frustrated when they start losing at any multiplayer game and start picking the worst character, team, gun, etc... so they can have a built in excuse when they lose? I have a buddy I'll play SF4 with and after a few loses he'll start picking Dan so he can downplay my wins. I'll just flip it on him though and tell him there are people out there who could destroy me with Dan, but that's because they're good. Naturally, some rage ensues. :lol

DR2K

Banned
Spiderjericho said:
Nah, Vanessa, K', Kyo, Iori are high on the style chart.

Capcom messed up with Viper. They made her too modern or stylized, whereas all of the other characters are generic (even Juri to an extent).

No they specifically designed her with that in mind.

BitchTits

I think when she was initially revealed, a lot of people thought Viper didn't fit in, but what a great addition to the character roster. she plays like no one else really - and I know that's what I want from a new character, not another shoto clone who has a slightly different arc to the QCB kick or does a slightly different fireball.

I've put SF4 to sleep at the moment though I've pretty much played nothing else on console since it's release, my backlog is full of great games I had nothing but apathy towards when playing SF4 - So until SSF4 comes out, I'm going cold turkey!

imtehman said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ZgLxYpy8k

anyone know how that c viper is able to standing burning kick to the other side after a knock down at :16?

He TK'ed the bk, i.e. inputted the qcb before pressing jump forward and kick.

The honda/chun match was ridiculously boring with a little 3s style meter build up thrown in. Also shows how anyone can win in single match format, especially viper with her random tactics. No way Dashio ever beats Daigo in a full set.

I think any charge char vs honda is a painful grind. I main boxer but I'd rather just play as ryu against honda any day of the week.

That was a great match between Flash Metroid and Chris Hu. Sanford vs. Flash.

Takeda, I'm using the Fightpad on my PC, and it works great. It's not perfect, as the diagonals are worse than the Saturn pad. Also, the size is a little large. Out of 5, the Fightpad is a 4/5. For reference, the Saturn is a 4.5/5.

And I haven't played Tekken 6, but did they patch it? Is the performance better than SFIV? If so, do you think SSFIV, could theoretically have better performance?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
does no one play on PC anymore? I like playing on PC more and I haven't touched the xbox version in weeks/months.

Spiderjericho said:
Road to NEC

1. Sanford Kelly
2. Flash Metroid
3. Chris Hu
4. Evil Rashaan

Sanford used Sagat to win...sick. The master of multiple of characters.

That was a dope final between Flash and Sagford. I thought flash was going to take it, but Sagford kara uppercuts and knee's where just to vicious.

black_vegeta said:
That was a dope final between Flash and Sagford. I thought flash was going to take it, but Sagford kara uppercuts and knee's where just to vicious.

The match between Hu and Flash was better (as Viper eventually crumbled to Sagat's offense). Definitely a great stream (yesterday's was a little blah), as they had Chris, Sanford, Flash, Evil Rashaan. NEC should be hype, especially if Marneto and Wong attend. Let me go take a look at the thread.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
SnowWolf said:
Thanks, good games! I have a really hard time doing that BnB combo in a real match. I can do it 90% of the time in training mode :(

Nice to see you adapt to some of my shenanigans, I ate too many ultras in the face :lol
It was amazing how some of my ultra startups almost had your fist inside me, and I still won out. Of course, your attempt to Ultra into an active ex SBK didn't work out so well. :lol

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Timedog said:
does no one play on PC anymore? I like playing on PC more and I haven't touched the xbox version in weeks/months.

All the time. GFW name is KakThInfected (ignore the typo, not paying to fix it).

So Justin, Jibbo, Flash, Marn, Sanford, Rashaan, Dr. Chaos, DS, Deviljin, Jav1ts, Chris Hu, Kensk (of this thread), Damdai, Rico Suave, Issei, Fubarduck, Aquasilk, etc will attend NEC 2010. Should be hype. My pick is either Sanford, Justin or Marn. Definitely should be some really good competition. Too bad the West and East aren't mingling in these big tournaments.

And Timedog, I play on PC too. krp1976.

Spiderjericho said:
Road to NEC

1. Sanford Kelly
2. Flash Metroid
3. Chris Hu
4. Evil Rashaan

Sanford used Sagat to win...sick. The master of multiple of characters.

Was Wong not present? also did Flash run into Aqua in the tourney? There was some mad shit talkin between them on the lead up, mainly concerning the MM tho.

FindMyFarms said:
Was Wong not present? also did Flash run into Aqua in the tourney? There was some mad shit talkin between them on the lead up, mainly concerning the MM tho.

J Wong didn't participate in the tournament. Not sure if he or Marn were there. I don't remember seeing Aquasilk except for at yesterday's tourney against Damdai.

Hey big head, do you think the Tekken netcode is better than SFIV's? I don't play that game so I'd be interested if it is, since that could mean SSFIV might have better net code, since Aksys and Namco were able to significantly improve their performance over a short span of time.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'll be rooting for the Philly guys, (Dr Chaos, etc). Who knows, I might even show up for the event if I'm wandering in that area.

Spiderjericho said:
J Wong didn't participate in the tournament. Not sure if he or Marn were there. I don't remember seeing Aquasilk except for at yesterday's tourney against Damdai.

Hey big head, do you think the Tekken netcode is better than SFIV's? I don't play that game so I'd be interested if it is, since that could mean SSFIV might have better net code, since Aksys and Namco were able to significantly improve their performance over a short span of time.

Aww, I wanted to see the flash/aqua grudge match.

The Tekken netcode is pretty good now actually, I'd say it's definitely comparable with SF4.

I do remember Flash fighting a Zangief. Not sure if it was Aqua. Like I said, I only really started to pay attention toward the end when it was getting exciting. I do remember him spamming seismo to kill Zangief.

Sanford did use Viper at the beginning of the stream. Flash used Sagat, Akuma and Seth at the beginning of the stream. Let me tell you, his execution is amazing. He managed to get a 50-something hit combo with Seth. And he was doing the Akuma loop like it was cool. I'm surprised he hasn't picked up another character for those bad Viper matchups.

And I'm looking forward to seeing Dr. Chaos Ken. It's a toss up between his and DamDai's of who is the best Ken in the country.

And Joe and FLOE better watch out, Sanford could become the best Sagat. He's amazing. Akuma, Cammy, Ryu, Sagat, Viper, Dan....jeez louise.

And Find, Fubar is going to NEC versus the Texas Absolute?

Threi

notag
AZ Greg said:
Sorta releated to tier lists, but does anyone have friends who get frustrated when they start losing at any multiplayer game and start picking the worst character, team, gun, etc... so they can have a built in excuse when they lose? I have a buddy I'll play SF4 with and after a few loses he'll start picking Dan so he can downplay my wins. I'll just flip it on him though and tell him there are people out there who could destroy me with Dan, but that's because they're good. Naturally, some rage ensues. :lol
You use claw though...no counterpoint can be made :lol

Top Bottom