• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man I had a great match tonight

I'm playing Sagat against Bision. This is one of my WORST matchups when I play online (and Cammy). I just get hammered by Cammy and Bison players. So I start the match with a best of 5, and when I see him go to Bison I let out of a huge groan thinking, "I might just let him beat me down in three fights so I can move on to the next".

So Match 1: fairly close, I get him down to low enough health and I have one super bar and an Ultra... so I'm within striking distance. I know I just need to land a EX TU > Ultra like I had been doing all night. But alas, he gets me before I can do it and I lose a close one.

Match 2: Same thing, I have him down to about 20% health and I have a super bar and an Ultra... just need to connect that EX TU and I got'em - I think to myself. This time I actually connect the EX TU, but for the first time all night I whiff the timing on the Ultra. He punishes me and it's over. Down 0-2

Match 3: At this time I begin to feel pretty confident and I start shutting down his air game with Tiger Knees. I finally beat him on Chip damage.

Match 4: I'm losing pretty late in the match, I think this about the time I finally connect the EX TU > Ultra and win on that. Feeling good now about the comeback against one of my worst matchups.

Match 5: It comes down close, I think I whiff the EX TU too many times and luckily I'm able to connect a saving Tiger Knee and win with < 10% health. I was estatic I beat a Bison player finally.

.... then we got to the post battle screen and he had about 500 less BP than I have and I didn't feel so happy for a second. :lol Then I decided to feel happy anyway because it was a good win for me and I was happy about the comeback against a tough opponent. This makes me want to buy a tripod and start recording future matches. I would love to relive this fight. :D

I realizes nobody cares, but I just had to tell someone about my SFIV experience, I don't have any real life SF friends. :(

Adam Prime said:
I realizes nobody cares, but I just had to tell someone about my SFIV experience, I don't have any real life SF friends. :(
lol join the club. i have to go to davis in order to actually have sf friends :(

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Stabby McSter said:
lol join the club. i have to go to davis in order to actually have sf friends :(

well as a matter of fact I really don't have ANY real life video game friends (at least none who are "into games" like the type who post on GAF ). I try to tell my girlfriend about Street Fighter and she just smiles and nods. :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
gutabo said:
Rog spams jab on close quarters. Standing fierce range is way less than his c.HK, which he uses wisely(remember we're talking about a specific Rog). He doesn't telegraph his rushes, and barely goes for resets, just bnbs. I have tried what you said, but I get one chance every 4 matches to try that.

Thanks again for the tips. Seriously thinking about switching just to take on those two bad matchups.

Against that, my next step is to piss them off. Just keep jumping back the whole match and doing jump RH. He can beat it with dash upper, but that's risky. You won't do any damage, but it is a good time-waster, make him come to you is how Honda wins that.

hitsugi

BotoxAgent said:
I thought Marn is the best Viper, then again I am not a Viper player

Marn is definitely the best Viper in the US. For what it's worth, he's probably also the most technical.

gutabo

arstal said:
Against that, my next step is to piss them off. Just keep jumping back the whole match and doing jump RH. He can beat it with dash upper, but that's risky. You won't do any damage, but it is a good time-waster, make him come to you is how Honda wins that.
Thanks, I was using j.HP will try j.HK. I always thought that his j.HP had more range, I've slapped oponents with the invisible tip of his jumping forward HP before.

And what about Guile? He still gives me nightmares, the only way I can win that fight is if the opponent doesn't knows c.HP beats the butt slam and spamming buttslams/crossup buttslams in close quarters(mixing it up with oicho of course)...

Thanks in advance!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I went back to HDR for a minute after staying away for the past year, and damn is it hard. I got beat like 16 times in a row just trying to get used to the control before winning like 5 in a row.

Somehow I can do lk into tatsu almost without fail in that game, but in SF4 sometimes fucking DRAGON PUNCHES come out. The inputs are harder in general though, and I feel like if I had learned stick on that game, I would be a lot better at stick right now.

Also, FUCK the bug with gen where juggle EX tatsu only goes for 1 hit. Lost a match earlier because of that crap.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Flash and Marn are probably pretty equal imho.

Apparently they went at it at NEC and Flash won, but only because Marn fucked up an ultra input after connecting with an ex seismo and got another seismo.

Grifter said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmnsPe86GpE

Sanford beating me down. I got scared. :(

Yeah, I think tourney jitters were definitely a factor. Sanford was doing some stuff that you usually deal with better when you fight me, but on the same coin Sanford reacts to demon flips and air fireballs and stuff a lot better than I do. Good stuff though.

hitsugi

Timedog said:
Somehow I can do lk into tatsu almost without fail in that game, but in SF4 sometimes fucking DRAGON PUNCHES come out. The inputs are harder in general though, and I feel like if I had learned stick on that game, I would be a lot better at stick right now.

I always used to say that Super Turbo was probably the best of the SF games to get good at simply because of how tight the execution is compared to today's stuff.. however, nothing will save us from obscene inputs being recognized as DPs / Supers (this one pisses me off the most with Viper in SF4.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Lost Fragment said:

Apparently they went at it at NEC and Flash won, but only because Marn fucked up an ultra input after connecting with an ex seismo and got another seismo

Yeah, I think tourney jitters were definitely a factor. Sanford was doing some stuff that you usually deal with better when you fight me, but on the same coin Sanford reacts to demon flips and air fireballs and stuff a lot better than I do. Good stuff though.

It was the other way around actually. They played casuals. Though Flash ended up going further in the tourney. Marn leveled up a lot by going to Japan. He is more technical but Flash has better fundamentals.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
gutabo said:
Thanks, I was using j.HP will try j.HK. I always thought that his j.HP had more range, I've slapped oponents with the invisible tip of his jumping forward HP before.

And what about Guile? He still gives me nightmares, the only way I can win that fight is if the opponent doesn't knows c.HP beats the butt slam and spamming buttslams/crossup buttslams in close quarters(mixing it up with oicho of course)...

Thanks in advance!

My strategy vs Guile is to kamikaze, take a ton of hits to get in close, then rape with mixup. Guile has to FK out of it, and a blocked FK= lots of damage+reset (headbutt combos, you want him on the ground)

I try to save for super as that's a free get in also, and it's worth using all your EX's to get in on Guile, Chun, or Sagat.

gutabo

arstal said:
My strategy vs Guile is to kamikaze, take a ton of hits to get in close, then rape with mixup. Guile has to FK out of it, and a blocked FK= lots of damage+reset (headbutt combos, you want him on the ground)

I try to save for super as that's a free get in also, and it's worth using all your EX's to get in on Guile, Chun, or Sagat.
Yeah, that's what I try to do, and go for crossup buttslams(they beat FK and EX FK) on wakeup. Thanks for the tips! I will try to mix it up better.

Haunts, THANKS FOR PLAYING WITH ME!!! great games, those have been some of the most intense fights I have ever had on Live(if not the most intense ones!). I'm sorry for the lag, I live in south america, I'm sure that played on my favor. Also sorry for boring you with just one character(honda), my other characters are not up to par. Your Sagat is a monster!

congrats grifter, I always liked playing you on XBL

btw guys any tips for connecting the RSF reliably? I can't get it reliably on some characters (like I'll only get 2 hits on some, 3 on others, etc)

PhatSaqs

Banned
Lost Fragment said:

Apparently they went at it at NEC and Flash won, but only because Marn fucked up an ultra input after connecting with an ex seismo and got another seismo.
Mirror matches mean crap tho :|

Anyone up for some Rose action send Saqs an invite :)

I want to play Saqs. Too bad I'm at work.

And don't sleep on Flash. I think he has better execution (Guilty Gear, etc) than Marn. But as Kadey cited, the visit to Japan and battling with J.Wong/Empire have definitely made him top three in the country (too bad he got randomly peaced out by Hondas at NEC).

gutabo said:
Yeah, that's what I try to do, and go for crossup buttslams(they beat FK and EX FK) on wakeup. Thanks for the tips! I will try to mix it up better.

Haunts, THANKS FOR PLAYING WITH ME!!! great games, those have been some of the most intense fights I have ever had on Live(if not the most intense ones!). I'm sorry for the lag, I live in south america, I'm sure that played on my favor. Also sorry for boring you with just one character(honda), my other characters are not up to par. Your Sagat is a monster!

No need to apologize for every match you has with us Gaffers. We all know by now you live in South America and there maybe a chance of some lag-a-lations during the matches...it's all good.

I might have to play your Honda with my Rawg, got to get that fight money!

gutabo

black_vegeta said:
No need to apologize for every match you has with us Gaffers. We all know by now you live in South America and there maybe a chance of some lag-a-lations during the matches...it's all good.

I might have to play your Honda with my Rawg, got to get that fight money!
I'm sorry for that(there I am again!) but playing online makes me feel like the poor bastard brother of a big family because most people that play against me may not really want to because of the lag so I'm used to getting kicked out of "lobbies" because of no bars or almost no bars... Even I have standards and I don't play one bar connections so I know how painful it can be to be used to a input and speed and then losing because you didn't adapt quickly to the lag or eating an ex sonic boom because you blocked or jumped but input lag says you didn't... so every time any of you agrees not only to play with me but to keep playing with me I feel honored and lucky and I try to give my best. So I feel the NEED to apologize for exposing you guys to a torture you can otherwise choose to avoid but don't just to play against me. I'll just say it for the last time: SORRY! I will say THANK YOU x N from now on ;)

I hope Capcom can fix this connection/lag issues in some degree on SSF4 and add a better search and search options for online battles. I've spend entire afternoons trying to get a fight and getting nothing between the "you can't play with him" and "this user is already on a fight" and getting kicked(no bars, sorry!) and taking notes of which user has already kicked me/I can't play with hoping to find a decent match(not even talking about fight level, just connection) and then getting desperate and fighting a 1 bar connection and losing to lag strats(and I don't even mention that "language filtering" is the dumbest thing ever - the language you speak can help them choose a better connection for you?)... ok I'll end the rant there.

Well, if you turtle good, you're define definitely going to get that fight money! Hoping to fight you later today when I get home!

gutabo said:
Well, if you turtle good, you're define definitely going to get that fight money! Hoping to fight you later today when I get home!

I'm more of an offensive Rawg, no turtling unless seriously needed.

I'll see you around XBL

GT = Gnizzle858

Grifter

viewtiful_dru said:
congrats grifter, I always liked playing you on XBL

We should play more but you're never on. :(

bob_arctor said:
That's no beat down. Only the last round maybe. All the others were close. Good shit, Grif. Too bad I retired--you could've used me to polish up execution. ;-)

You need to make a comeback, old man. Don't you have some buddies to nudge back towards to flavor of the day? Or gimme the 2DF info and we'll throw down in SFA3.

Spiderjericho said:
And don't sleep on Flash. I think he has better execution (Guilty Gear, etc) than Marn. But as Kadey cited, the visit to Japan and battling with J.Wong/Empire have definitely made him top three in the country (too bad he got randomly peaced out by Hondas at NEC).

How'd you know about the Hondas? I played the first Honda that he did and it was an excellent Honda indeed.

Just sunk a good deal of money on a stick only to find I can't do supers for shit on it:lol After an hour I can do fireball supers on the left side of the screen like 1/10 of the time.

robut said:
Just sunk a good deal of money on a stick only to find I can't do supers for shit on it:lol After an hour I can do fireball supers on the left side of the screen like 1/10 of the time.

Another scrub shoto, my Rawg is going to get that fight $.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Mr Jared said:
You know what we haven't had in a while? Some good hate mail. Here's what I got today-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUphhX9Af_A

From what I remember, my friend hopped on and stunted on this poor guy with Seth and basically used him for combo practice while he sat in the corner and jabbed himself into a frenzy. Good times!

wow, I thought all thsoe guys moved to Tekken.

I actually get love mail online these days when I play Rose.

Threi

notag
I guess two consecutive good days is too much to ask of this game.

went on a MASSIVE losing streak...again.

Turtle guile/blanka (who upclose did the ol lpx3 > jump > lpx3), and then got beat up by a Dan player.

gutabo

Threi said:

Turtle guile/blanka (who upclose did the ol lpx3 > jump > lpx3), and then got beat up by a Dan player.
I'm having issues with guile too. Blanka... it depends if the opponent knows how to punish honda's recovery. Let me know whenever you want to have some games(I'm trying to learn ryu nowadays to counter some guiles/balrogs so I can be honda or ryu now, yay!).

AZ Greg

Finally have some time to play. If anyone wants to play on XBL, send me an invite. Tag is the same as my username here.

Threi said:

FUCK GUILE!!!!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Is it possible to get a stick that's taller than the stock TE one? Also, are there buttons that spring up quicker than the sanwa ones, or can I somehow replace the springs in the sanwa to make the buttons stand at attention quicker?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
gutabo said:

Hey man your Honda is KILLER! Those were some good fights but yeah the lag was a little annoying. You can punish his blocked super right!? Maybe not... lol

I started to adjust a little bit later on. I was able to Kara uppercut blocked FP headbutts so I was happy after I landed a couple of those. haha!

I think its on my end though man. I really need new internet. I have this shit DSL that just makes me not even want to play online anymore. :(

Great games though, you're like Mike Ross Jr!!! :lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Timedog said:
Is it possible to get a stick that's taller than the stock TE one? Also, are there buttons that spring up quicker than the sanwa ones, or can I somehow replace the springs in the sanwa to make the buttons stand at attention quicker?
So you need buttons that mash better?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Hitokage said:
So you need buttons that mash better?

I'm looking for a way to mash right into your heart <3

I don't even understand how you're supposed to double tap if there's no spring in the button. It just registers as 1 input. Or I can do it on the edge of the button, but I risk accidentally hitting other buttons.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Timedog said:

you might want to look into Siemetsu buttons and see how you like em.

AZ Greg

XenoRaven said:
Haha. That was fun Greg. Too bad I lost miserably, and have no idea how to deal with Vega or Viper. :lol

Thanks for the games man.

Good games. Had to stop and grab some food. Hit me up anytime you want some matches.

Anyone else want some games?

XenoRaven

black_vegeta said:
Dive kick son, that's all you need to know.

Greeeeeaaaat, AZ Greg is playing Viper as well. More cursed shenanigans.
He might have just picked her because I needed a break from Chun-Li after going like 12-2 against his Vega or something. >_> We both picked a bunch of different characters anyway.

Top Bottom