• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

My main is Ryu but I've been playing Ken recently and it's honestly been very refreshing and fun. I think Ken actually fits my play style more which is rushdown. That step kick is so fun to spam. Hunting down runaways is hilarious when they continue jumping backwards while I keep pressing F+MK :lol

Yeah I know, picking up Ken is not really taking a risk. Sorry but I can only play Shoto's. I also gave Akuma a try, but I honestly think I'd do better with Ken. If you're not good enough to use all of Akuma's tools then you're worse off playing a basic Akuma then a basic Ken/Ryu IMO.

Now off to watch those Max videos. One day I want to pull off that cr. jab, cr. jab, st. jab, cr. forward, EX Tatsu combo just once in a real match.

Threi

notag
yes yes you can spam shoryuken aren't you a xbl god.

fucking cocky pricks

*edit* not directed at you rice eater, some douchebag shoto player on XBL.

Leunam said:
GGs to Farms. My roommate was in awe of your Viper and my friend left right before you started playing his main (Fei).

GG's homey.

If you spam enough random crap with Viper she can look kinda cool :lol

MIMIC

Banned
Threi said:
yes yes you can spam shoryuken aren't you a xbl god.

fucking cocky pricks

*edit* not directed at you rice eater, some douchebag shoto player on XBL.

Sometimes I can't tell whether people are just spamming or if they're building meter. Sometimes I would spam Fuerte's light leg throw to 1) build meter and 2) to serve as another mind game

qcf x2

What's your GT there LostFragment? And are you east coast? I think I'm finally starting to recover from the ego crushing disaster I went through on Monday with my joystick.

Edit: lol @ a G1 Sagat rage quitting because I'm out-spamming him with projectiles (with Rose). Yes, I'm going to jump into your double FK into Ultra, right? Because this is G3, right?

Dizzy-4U

Gootecks finally did another podcast today with Ryan Heart and Zak. I thought they had very interesting topics. CLICK

Where is Harmonaz btw? I'm guessing he doesn't play SFIV =/

DigiMish

Rice-Eater said:
My main is Ryu but I've been playing Ken recently and it's honestly been very refreshing and fun. I think Ken actually fits my play style more which is rushdown. That step kick is so fun to spam. Hunting down runaways is hilarious when they continue jumping backwards while I keep pressing F+MK :lol

Yeah I know, picking up Ken is not really taking a risk. Sorry but I can only play Shoto's. I also gave Akuma a try, but I honestly think I'd do better with Ken. If you're not good enough to use all of Akuma's tools then you're worse off playing a basic Akuma then a basic Ken/Ryu IMO.

Now off to watch those Max videos. One day I want to pull off that cr. jab, cr. jab, st. jab, cr. forward, EX Tatsu combo just once in a real match.

Yea, Ken is awesome if you know how to play him right - it's all about taking chances for high risk reward. You either hurt him bad, or get hurt yourself pretty bad. The trick is to keep the momentum going and always keep the other player guessing. I main him, but have been dabbling in Ryu, and OMG that sweep is fucking godly.

i never played a good ken before. But watching those godly ken players like Maximillian and Dr. Chaos, they really seem like a complete nightmare to fight...i wouldn't know how to defend most of things they do--my brain wouldn't be able to keep up :lol

Yeah, Ken is pretty fun to use. Ryu will always be my #1 guy, but I'm going to use Ken a lot more often and not have such a lop sided percentage with Ryu being used over 90% of time compared to the rest of the cast. I just need to get use to using his punishes when the opportunity is open because I find myself going for sweeps and throws a little too often. I still have that problem with Ryu even with all the time I spent with him.

I also need to work on FADC into Ultra. It doesn't do much damage but I'd rather have that then waste more EX meter because I screwed up. Weird thing is that the inputs are exactly the same for Ryu's FADC into Ultra but I almost never do EX DP. Anyways, I'm never going to pull off those crazy Ken combos that guys like Max can do but I'm going to keep at it because Ken's rushdown game is just too much fun.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
After getting so much better with execution, I am more sensitive to lag that it's really starting to annoy me. I'm using Akuma a lot more often and basically training with the vortex. I can easily do it offline but online is a different matter. Same goes for any combos involving long strings and especially one frame stuff. I would pay Capcom $10 a month for better netcode at this point.

DigiMish

Ken's Ultra kinda blows compared to Ryu though, sometimes I don't even bother to FADC it. Really hoping that he gets the awesome kick combos super from 3S for his 2nd Ultra. One that you can easily combo in after cr. mk. That alone would move him up from top of C tier list.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Alright, after tonight's mega marathon with AZ Greg...I think it's time for me to take a sabbatical from this game for a few weeks, maybe a month.

Basic anti-shoto strategies? Especially for a Honda player? I fought a Akuma player the other day and he kept tossing fireballs, jumping back with them and after I'd eventually make my way too him he'd just teleport away.

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
Gr1mLock said:
Majestros said:
Fun With SF4 vol.1

Enjoy!

I'll have the transcript written up by tonight.
so how exactly does the whole TAC thing work?..ive always been curious but im not ashamed to admit my ignorance
Dude there's never shame in asking a question. Actually i wrote an article about tool-assistance that explains the methods used and the reasoning behind using them.

But i haven't touched a program pad in more than two weeks, after finishing the Dhalsim TACV. Everything in that whole Fun With SF4 video was tested and recorded using a PS3 dualshock pad or sixaxis or whatever we're supposed to call 'em now.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Majestros said:
Dude there's never shame in asking a question. Actually i wrote an article about tool-assistance that explains the methods used and the reasoning behind using them.

But i haven't touched a program pad in more than two weeks, after finishing the Dhalsim TACV. Everything in that whole Fun With SF4 video was tested and recorded using a PS3 dualshock pad or sixaxis or whatever we're supposed to call 'em now.

that was actually a great read..it pretty much confirmed what i thought it was..but it looks like that stuff is still a ton of work..especially the multiple 1framers etc..i dont think ive seen your cvs2 vids though..im gonna give those a look

Majestros

Yeah it takes a lot of time to get anything done. This is what the program pads look like: http://www.ncsx.com/www/ncs0330/ncs0406/asciipad.htm

They were almost impossible to find four years ago when i got them, so they're almoster impossibler to find now. Anyway they work like regular pads too, so i always end up spending a lot of time testing stuff manually before i find something promising or get to a point where i have to program something to see what happens next.

But if you're really curious about this stuff, i think several people have started using command scripting programs with the PC version. I don't own the PC version so i don't know how they're doing it exactly, but IIRC the scripting programs are called AutoIT and AutoHotKey. Someone told me they're used a lot in the FPS community.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Majestros said:
Yeah it takes a lot of time to get anything done. This is what the program pads look like: http://www.ncsx.com/www/ncs0330/ncs0406/asciipad.htm

They were almost impossible to find four years ago when i got them, so they're almoster impossibler to find now. Anyway they work like regular pads too, so i always end up spending a lot of time testing stuff manually before i find something promising or get to a point where i have to program something to see what happens next.

But if you're really curious about this stuff, i think several people have started using command scripting programs with the PC version. I don't own the PC version so i don't know how they're doing it exactly, but IIRC the scripting programs are called AutoIT and AutoHotKey. Someone told me they're used a lot in the FPS community.

im more in awe of how its all done..i dont think id have the resources to try anything like it anytime soon..but i think on the pc front i definitely might be able to at least get the tools..my current pc is pretty beefy so the pc as a platform is definitely doable..thanks for the heads up though, im definitely gonna check those programs out.

CPS2

Majestros said:
Everything in that whole Fun With SF4 video was tested and recorded using a PS3 dualshock pad or sixaxis or whatever we're supposed to call 'em now.

No way... you're a pad player?!

Majestros

UC1 said:
No way... you're a pad player?!
Nah it's just too expensive to buy a stick every time a new console comes out so i make do with whatever i've got. Also i never learned how to use Japanese sticks and nobody manufactures American style ones anymore.

Actually i bought the Tekken 5 stick bundle when they were cheap. That was the closest i came to learning how to use Japanese sticks. But unfortunately it was only a few months before 360/PS3 gen launched so i ended up letting dogface borrow it and he's had it since.

I'm a whatever's-within-reach player.

gutabo

MarkMan said:
LOL!

On another note, I just made it to G1-A! Go me! Should I celebrate or feel dumb for the 20k points I'm missing to get to SG? That's going to take a while... hopefully I'll make it before SSF4 comes out.

And yet on another note, I played Mr. SNK from shoryuken.com. Great games, but at the end he asked me if I used turbo, lol!
Majestros said:
Nah it's just too expensive to buy a stick every time a new console comes out so i make do with whatever i've got. Also i never learned how to use Japanese sticks and nobody manufactures American style ones anymore.

Actually i bought the Tekken 5 stick bundle when they were cheap. That was the closest i came to learning how to use Japanese sticks. But unfortunately it was only a few months before 360/PS3 gen launched so i ended up letting dogface borrow it and he's had it since.

Mind=Blown.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Tiger uppercut said:
this isn't the SSFIV thread, but kotaku has a screenshot with makoto in the background :(.

no makoto lovin' for meh.

Eh I don't see it (didn't really look hard) but Balrog and Vega can be seen in the plane in the Africa stage so...

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Ysiadmihi said:
Eh I don't see it (didn't really look hard) but Balrog and Vega can be seen in the plane in the Africa stage so...

It's the South Korea stage, it's totally not Makoto, the fella is wearing sneakers for gawds sake.

No way Makoto would rock sneakers in her fighting clobber. NO WAY. Her feet are just too damn big.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hey guys anyone up for a couple of rounds later this evening ( yurop-gaf/time), I'm using a pad and am pretty average at best but I still enjoy some good ol fighting,

I change between playing :
Blanka
Bison
Balrog
Gouken
Rufus

and occasionally I just play some others just for the hell of it

I also like long walks on the beach and hairy men/women/mammals

hook me up plox1!1! , gamertag : corcy100

ps. For some reason my broadband has been dying on me the past weeks but it SEEMS to be fine and dandy now, but still if its laggy I understand if you dump me

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Majestros said:

I've been using my HRAP1 for years now. All it takes is finding a quality converter for your console of choice.

Of course, ps3/360 sticks are another matter.

Rotanibor

ggs threi, and for anybody that was watching, i went in cold and didn't have time to practice my combos in training mode. i was dropping them left and right. haven't been playing fei long enough to have them down straight.

Top Bottom